Fugitive (sequel to Becoming...

Oleh me2you804

Aubrey Winters, ex librarian and Atlantian is a fugitive. On the run, Aubrey has escaped from Atlantis with a... Lebih Banyak

Fugitive - Chapter 2
Fugitive Chapter Three
Fugitive - Chapter 4
Fugitive - Chapter 5
Fugitive - Chapter 6
Fugitive - Chapter 7
Fugitive - Chapter 8
Fugitive - Chapter 9
Fugitive - Chapter 10
Fugitive - Chapter 11
Fugitive - Chapter 12
Fugitive - Chapter 13
Fugitive - Chapter 14
Fugitive - Chapter 15
Fugitive - Chapter 16
Fugitive - Chapter 17
Fugitive - Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Fugitive - Chapter 20
Fugitive - Chapter 21
Chapter 22 - Fugitive
Fugitive - Epilogue

Fugitive - Chapter One

726 39 5
Oleh me2you804

Before you start reading, you may wish to go and read 'Becoming Atlantian' first, if you have not already done so. You can find it on my profile. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy this story.

Fugitive - Chapter One.

"They're gone."

Allowing the curtain of leaves to fall back into place, Aubrey backed away from the entrance to the cave. There was no source of light within the enclosed space, only a few weak rays making it through the foliage which acted like a door.

If she had been a normal human being, the red head would have seen nothing but darkness.

But she wasn't normal and she was no longer just human. Death had seen to that. She was Atlantian.

Her eyes, so adjusted to the darkness could make out the crags in the rock, the pebbles and stones on the floor and she could also make out every scales and ridge of the large black beast which was curled up on itself at the far end of the cave. With a rumbling groan it lifted its head, dark eyes glinting even in the darkness to glare at its companion.

"I'm sorry Jet. I panicked." Aubrey murmured, stepping closer so that she could run her hand over the smooth scaled hide of the dragon. "They were too close and you stick out too much in the skies."

Allowing her body to drop to the floor, the red head slipped down on to the ground and then shuffled backwards until her body was resting against the coiled tail.

"The next hiding space will be bigger. I promise."

The dragon huffed before dropping its head back down to rest upon the floor, the space too confining for her large body.

"I'm not lying." Aubrey protested with her voice little more than a whisper.

The policemen were long gone but it didn't stop her from exercising caution.

Jet huffed once more.

"I know," Aubrey said in response before dropping her gaze to her lap. "I promise we'll find somewhere else soon but you're going to have to stay here for a while. You're too large to hide in daylight and most humans are not accustomed to seeing a beast as magnificent as you. We're now hiding from a lot more people than just the Matriarch's dedicated followers."

Jet turned her large back head away and closed her eyes. Aubrey was pretty sure she was getting cold shoulder from the dragon. Shaking her head, her red hair whipping about her face, she allowed a sigh to escape her lips.

"I'll run reconnaissance. Find out when and where we are. The gateway could have dropped us anywhere so we need to know a little bit more so we can plan. Don't leave this cave until its night time to hunt." Tilting her head back, Aubrey glared at the craggy rock about her which kept drip, drip dripping. "We'll find help Jet. We'll find a way to save them both."

The black scaled beast shifted and then Jet was nuzzling Aubrey's face with her snout.

"You're worried about them too." The red head murmured before releasing another sigh. "We'll find a way to save them, we have to."

After another few minutes of companionable silence, Aubrey left her companion behind and slipped from the cave. The entrance was well concealed; the leaves and branches hiding the cave from view almost seamlessly. She would have to remember the spot well or it was possible the Atlantian may not even find her winged friend again.

Glancing down at the grass beneath her feet, Aubrey's eyes picked out the areas where it had been flattened by the policemen. The trails led to the North and to the South. Taking in a deep breath, she turned towards the North and started putting one foot in front of the other.

Aubrey and Jet had been forced to flee Atlantis. She had been made fugitive, accused of treason for playing a part in the death of the Matriarch. It didn't even appear to matter that the crazed and power hungry woman probably wasn't dead. Tiberius, her mentor and her friend, had remained in Atlantis to complete his own mission. It had been nearly 24 hours since they had come through the portal but Tiberius and his own winged companion had yet to make it through which meant he had either been captured or killed.

Shaking her head, Aubrey set off at a jog. Running had never been her favourite activity but as the young woman's legs and arms pumped she felt alive. There was something about being on the run for your life which was both terrifying and oddly exhilarating.

It took about fifteen minutes for her to scale the large green peak which dominated the landscape. Once at the crest, Aubrey could see for miles in either direction.

Immediately her eyes were drawn to the first sign of civilization. Settled on the crest of the next peak was a small isolated village. There appeared to be one road in and one road out of the settlement, the rest of its surroundings were completely rural. There were fields of sheep and cows but no signs of a large supermarket of shopping centre. At least the cars traversing the roads gave her an indicator of the year they were currently in. Their sleek models were 21st century at the earliest.

Aubrey frowned and looked down at her attire. Her Atlantian leathers would stick out in a small rural town in the 21st Century. There was no way she could carry out reconnaissance unnoticed if she was dressed like she was an extra from a film.

Running a hand through her hair, she allowed her eyes to travel across the landscape. She stopped when the fell upon the few houses which were outside the protection of the main village. Little stone houses were surrounded by little stone walls which wrapped around their gardens. The most important part to Aubrey however was the lines of washing which were flapping in the breeze.

After another few minutes of running, the red head crouched down beside a garden wall detached cottage. It was far enough away from the others that she hoped no one would notice her presence. Needing a moment to steady her nerves, Aubrey took a few deep breaths while staring down at her hands. Calluses has started to form on her palms and her fingers from the training that Tiberius had put her through. Before she was an Atlantian she had been a librarian.

"And now I'm a fugitive."

When there was nothing else to be done, she pushed up on her knees and took a glance over the wall. The house appeared still. There doors and the windows were locked up tight and there was no movement in the windows.

Counting under her breath, the red head placed both hands on the wall and then with a surge of strength, she vaulted her body over the wall and into the garden. Her feet landed on the grass with a dull thud, knees bent and body low. Holding as still as she could, Aubrey waited for a few long moments with baited breath.

The curtains didn't twitch and no one came rushing out to warn her off so she crept forwards across the grass. Every part of her was tense, on alert and prepared for flight as soon as she needed to.

Uncaring about what clothes she wore, Aubrey blindly tore several items from the line. In her haste several brightly coloured pegs cracked and shot across the garden.

Staring down at the items in her hands, Aubrey paused. Guilt welled within her as she stared at the threadbare clothing which had been repaired and patched up. Glancing up at the house, she saw things she hadn't noticed before. The peeling paint work. The overall run down state of the house and the threadbare clothes told a tale. The family obviously didn't have a lot of money.

Silently vowing to pay these people back somehow, Aubrey hurried back to the wall sparing one last glance at the house to take in every detail from the missing roof tiles to the weathered window panes.

"I'll pay you back," She vowed, the wind carrying her words away.

Without another moment of hesitation, Aubrey allowed her feet to fly, her cargo clutched to her chest as she dodged the lumps of cow excrement.

Just before she hit the village, Aubrey dropped down behind an over grown hedges and took a look at her spoils. There was one threadbare tartan shirt and a pair of holey blue jeans. Both were large, big enough that they would dwarf her frame but still with one last glance around her, Aubrey started to remove the traces of her Atlantian life.

Her weapons were unsheathed and set aside. Her leathers were undone and pulled from her form. Goosebumps forms over her skin as soon as the wind buffeted against her nakedness. Hastily slipping the shirt over her head, Aubrey pulled the fabric tight against her body in the hope to bring her warmth back.

Once dressed in her country camouflage, Aubrey disposed of everything but her weapons in a metal bin and then took a deep breath. Even in her stolen clothes, Aubrey knew she would stick out like a sore thumb. In a village this size, with just a few hundred residents at the most, everyone would undoubtedly know each other. They would be able to spot a stranger from a mile off.

Still, Aubrey slipped into the village, her head bowed supposedly against the wind. For the first time in her life, she wished she had been born with boring brown hair, something which would allow her to go unnoticed.

Passing through one street after another, the warrior encountered no one. For a moment she wondered whether the place might have been evacuated in light of the large animal scare Jet had caused. The only resident appeared to be a mangy tabby cat who insisted on following her through the town.

Eventually arriving in the heart of the village, Aubrey breathed a sigh of relief at the first sign of living breathing humans.

On the crossroads which intersected the small village, an old man sat on a wooden chair outside of a small corner shop. His hat was pulled down low over his face, his arms folded over his chest as he breathed deeply. She couldn't tell if he was awake or sleeping.

Stepping past the outstretched feet, Aubrey stopped before the stack of newspapers bundled up by the door to the shop. Kneeling down, she allowed her fingers to trail across the page. The news stories were insignificant. It was the date which had impacted her most. Three weeks. It had been just three weeks in the mortal world since her first death.

Drawing in a steadying breath, the red head tried not to allow her emotions to overwhelm her. It would be too easy to walk back home and say it had all been a mistake. That some other soul had been killed by that car. To go home and sink into the comfort of her mother's embrace.

But she never would.

Tiberius needed her help. And so did his companion. And so did Jet, who was so far from home and was now alone.

"Can I help you, dear?"

Despite being startled by the gentle voice, Aubrey rose slowly and lifted her gaze to the woman who now stood in the door to the shop. She was as weathered as the buildings of the village. It gave her a hardened look but her eyes were kind.

"Hi," Aubrey replied before taking a glance around her. "I know it sounds strange, but where are we?"

The greying woman laughed but quickly lost all amusement when she saw the blank expression staring back at her.

"Oh my poor dear." Her Scottish accent was thick, now that worry was lacing her tone. "You're in Greentown. Don't worry, you're not in Scotland. I'm an import."

"My friends and I were having a few drinks and the next thing I know I'm waking up in a field." Aubrey spoke, adding a pitiful tremor to her voice, her arms wrapping around her waist as if to comfort her self.

"Don't you worry dear." The woman stated, stepping close so she could wrap an arm around the younger woman in comfort. "We're about thirty miles from the nearest town but I can get my son to help you on your way. He's a police officer in town. His father and I are so pleased."

"That sounds great." Aubrey replied, trying to feel grateful but she could already feel dread welling within her.

She had to get out of this little village and fast. She was supposed to be dead and to top it off the red head was wearing stolen clothes. Not to mention she was armed. Meeting a policeman would be really bad idea.

"My boy will be back soon. " The woman chattered while leading Aubrey through the shop and into the house beyond. She was completely oblivious to the red head as she sang the praises about her only son. "You know, it's lucky you made it here unscathed. There are rumours of a large beast in the hills so half of the local police force is out on the hunt. I bet it's just Mr O'Leary drinking too much of his home made brew again."

Laughing on cue, Aubrey played the perfect guest and allowed the woman to keep prattling as her eyes desperately sought a way out. But there was no escaping, unless she could climb out of the bathroom window. On the run and forced to a tea party by a police man's mum.

"Did you want some tea?"

Smiling despite her own turmoil, Aubrey nodded her head. "That would be great."

As she sat there, her mind was running through multiple options. Thirty miles to the town was a bit far to walk and dragon travel was definitely out. Deirdre's son would be here soon and he was her only hope for a ride out of here. It was risk but one Aubrey would have to take.

Until then, Aubrey allowed herself to be fed and watered. She allowed her guard to drop for the first time since Atlantis and felt all the more exhausted for it. She had gone over twenty four hours without sleep and it had finally caught up with her. Before she could finish her cup of tea, Aubrey's eyes fluttered closed and she fell into a fitful sleep.

It only took a few years but the sequel is finally here. I hope it lives up to the expectations of the Becoming Atlantian readers because I think my writing style has changed a bit from when I wrote book one and a lot has changed in general. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed.

As you will have noticed the cover it bare, if you think you can make one for me, please PM me so we can talk details :)

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

536 126 41
A woman living in a world with magic is working one evening when her life is changed forever. She saw something she shouldn't have. Avon ends up havi...
1.1K 7 21
In a land of myth, and a time of magic, there lives one girl, with the power to change everything. When Nimueh agrees to use magic, to help her frien...
46.2K 2.1K 70
[Book 1/5 of The Legacy Saga] Life is like a calm river. When we make decisions, we create ripples that determine the fate of our future. This was So...
548 31 37
The first book of the Darkwater Saga Being edited A simple decision can cause a massive ripple in the pond of Time. In the case of Kington Lewis, a t...