The Hunt

By esoteric918

Mason Meyers and Alexia Martinez are sent away from the comfort and familiarity of their home to investigate... More

The Hunt
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

19.6K 1K 48
By esoteric918

Lexi's point of view

We lay on the bed for a while. No one would bother us for the rest of the day.

"You didn't wake me up this morning." 

His heavy sigh lifted my head as his chest rose. "I knew you were mad at me for the bar." 

"Not so much the bar. You yelled at me like it was my fault."

Thinking about it just made me mad. I hadn't deserved his show of temper. I had kept him from getting his head blown off. He should have been kissing my feet.

"So I slipped out to let you cool down. It worked, didn't it?" 

I gave a noncommittal shrug and wrapped myself around him tighter. "I don't appreciate getting yelled at, especially when I was in the right." 

"I know." He nodded and kissed the top of my head. "I just let my anger for them get the best of me." 

"You were mad at me for stopping the bar fight," I said matter-of-factly. "It makes me feel like you don't really trust me to watch your back in a fight." 

He shook his head. "It's not that I don't trust you. I saw an end to this and was willing to do what it took to achieve it."

"And I had to stop you from going too far. If this problem cost me your life, we would leave. I would tell Finn to solve his own damn problems," I grumbled into his chest.

He tipped my chin up; one of his rare happy smiles covered his face. "I know you would. Finn would be in trouble if you went after him." His smile sobered a bit. "I do trust you. You are my mate and I love you." 

"And I'm the only one who can put up with your shit," I teased, lightening the mood.  

He smirked. "Ah yes, and that." He gave me a small peck on the cheek. "I have to get dressed." 

He tried pulling away from me, but I didn't let him out of my grip. Did he really think a kiss on the cheek was an acceptable goodbye kiss?

"I will go about my business with you latched on to me if I have to," he threatened.  

However, I knew that he wouldn't crack the door open if I were still naked and on him.  

His brow rose when I didn't budge. Then he smirked. "Well, alright then. Better hold on tight." 

I did.  

Well, I did until he took me into the shower. After some kissing and fondling, I melted in his hands. He managed to get out of the shower without me latched onto him because I had challenges standing on my own.  

When he wanted to prove a point, he really drove it home.

When I was dressed, and could walk normally, I left our room. Mason was getting up from the kitchen bar when I walked in.  

When he smirked at me, I knew he was going to do something.

Quick recovery, he teased through our link. He sent me his memories of the shower we had together, filling my head with dirty thoughts and causing heat to run through my body. I thought you would've rested longer.

This close, and after our time in the shower, our bond was strong enough that I could feel anything he wanted me to feel and hear whatever he wanted me to hear.  

I stuck my tongue out at him before making a plate for myself. I was starving. The girls were all still showing sadness for the loss of their friend, Jenna. They wouldn't know of her betrayal, or her death, and so long as they were human, they would never know about what happened to her.

They thought she just took off without a word to anyone. But I knew that Sparks wouldn't miss her. After their confrontation, I was sure the rest of the girls would follow her lead now. Sparks was a good woman, just what this place needed.  

As I thought of her, she slowly came walking into the kitchen. She looked sore and exhausted.  I shoveled food into my mouth to keep from smirking at the scene. If there were any of the guys around, their teasing would have been relentless.

The other girls voiced their concerns for her in a barrage of questions. By the way her heart rate spiked and the flush to her cheeks, I knew the story. She'd spent the night with Dean.

I had no doubt she'd be sore from their time together. A werewolf's sex drive is through the roof. When they needed the distraction, it became insatiable. If she were a wolf, she wouldn't be nearly as sore. At least it was a good kind of sore, and not from being beaten up.  

I smirked into my coffee mug when her eyes flickered to mine. Her face broke out into a full blown blush, correctly assuming that I knew the truth.  

"I'm fine," she said as she grabbed a plate. "Don't worry about me, I'm fine." 

"But look at you!" Laura, the blonde one, protested.  

"Yeah, you look like you've been through hell all night," Eve, the red haired one, chimed in.

Hell, isn't what I'd call it, my wolf said, catching me off guard and making me sputter into the mug. 

I coughed to play it off as I reached for a napkin. My face was speckled with the coffee I was drinking.  

It was nice to see that she spent time with the alpha, which meant he'd be less grouchy with Mason…wherever they were.

The two girls checked on me, allowing Sparks to pull herself together and grab some food. She was probably starving and needed a good amount of it to compensate for how long Dean had kept her up.  

She sat a stool away from me as the other girls turned their attention to cleaning up.  

She glanced over at me once, but didn't say anything. She would probably wait until she thought no one could hear us.  

And she did.

By the time I was finished eating, the girls were done cleaning and we were all alone in the room.  

"Lexi?" She asked quietly. "I need to ask you something, about these guys. They're different, you know?" 

I tried not to show any hesitation or panic at her words. "What do you mean?" 

"I can't explain it. These guys are so unlike any other guys that I've ever met. It's like they're a whole other breed of human." 

I chuckled, even if I was slightly alarmed. "Another breed of human? There's only one kind of human, Sparks." 

She let out a disappointed sigh. "Maybe it's just me then." 

I turned to her and could see that she was really concerned. "Tell me what bothers you about them." 

Again, she sighed. It must have been really bothering her to make her so dramatic about it.  Then again, if I were in her position, I probably wouldn't have been happy either. She knew something was up, something made these guys different, but she didn't know if it was just her imagination. She probably thought she was going crazy.

"That's what's hard to explain. They don't do anything that I can explain of being so abnormal. It's their mannerisms and the way some of them speak. I understand men having a hierarchy when they're together, but the way they all look to Dean is really weird to witness."  

She put her face in her hands. "It's just so hard to explain." 

"What's the thing that has you most worked up?" I wish I could have told her what made these guys different, but how did I know that she would stick around for good. I didn't really know Sparks. Maybe she wasn't the person I thought she was.

And there was the whole 'forbidden' rule that we weren't allowed to expose what we are able to do to the humans. That's an immediate death sentence.

She turned her face to look at me. "Never in my life have I spent a night with a man and felt so damn sore," she complained. "Not when I lost my virginity, not during my most intense night of sex. I fell out of his bed this morning! I fell!" She put her face back in her hands humiliated, as I sat back and tried to contain my chuckle.  

"Let me see if I get it then," I offered. "You're concerned because Dean laid you down good?" 

She scoffed. "Men in their prime don't have that sex drive. I mean, he just kept going, and going, and going. It's not normal. That's probably why he used to take two or three girls to bed with him." 

"Sparks, I don't see a problem here." I tried to be sympathetic to her feelings, but women usually wanted someone to want them like that.  

"I can't keep up with him," she groaned. "I tried to last night and now I'm paying for it." 

"So talk to him. I don't think he'd toss you away because you need time to adjust to what he wants." 

She scoffed. "You don't know Dean very well. He's not the kind of man that shows his love for someone else, like your husband is. He'll say what you want to hear to get you in his bed, and then as soon as he's tired of you, he kicks you out. I know his kind. He does it to all his girls." 

I couldn't tell her that was standard practice for most werewolf men. Not all of them were gentlemen. In fact, most of the men I've met would act just like that. "But he did keep you, didn't he?" 

She looked up at the ceiling, hoping and maybe praying that she'd get a miraculous answer to all her problems. "Yeah, but I don't know why." 

"Maybe he really likes you." 

"He's never said anything like that before. He never even hinted at it." 

"Maybe you're different to him. Maybe he's ready for a relationship." 

She shook her head. "Relationships don't last here. I won't end up like Jamison and Jenna. And I definitely won't be the Jamison in that sense." 

"You need to talk to him." 

She shook her head. "I'm not going to be the kind of girl who goes crawling to him after a night like that. Girls have done that before and they are sent flying out of this house. I won't end up like them." 

She shook her head as she took her now empty plate to the sink. "No. I'm going to do what I do and if he wants me, he'll have to come to me." 

I smiled. "That's a great plan."  

The alpha wolf in Dean wouldn't like that she would go back to her day to day routine. Sparks took care of the men and stayed with whomever she wanted. Dean would be motivated by the chase Sparks would give him. It was what the old alpha wolf needed in a mate.  

---

The longer Mason was away, the more I felt uneasy. It was like a sense of foreboding hovered over my head. We had enough problems since being here.  

A little good news couldn't hurt us, right? What was wrong with wanting a break? The one break that we had gotten was marred by the murderers being there.  

Maybe the feelings of unease were from not changing into my wolf in a few days. As I thought about it, I realized it had been almost a week since I had changed.  

That had to be it. I just needed a quick change and everything would go back to normal.  

But then again, weren't we trying for a baby? I couldn't shift whenever the itch arose because if I was pregnant, the baby wouldn't make the change. I hadn't had to worry about any womanly issues since we had been here, but I should have had to. We had been here for weeks already.

I needed a test so that way I would know. There was no down side to testing. If it were a negative result, I could go change into my wolf and frolic around. If it were a positive result, I would hold off the change as long as I could.  

I grabbed the keys and headed to the pharmacy. It wasn't hard to find the tests and there was no traffic, so the trip was fast. Fast enough that no one should have noticed, but when I got back to the house, I knew that Mason had know I was gone.  

I could feel his tension and anger through the bond as I got closer to the house. The feelings from him shouldn't have brought a smile to my face, but they did. 

Mason was on my ass before I could get to our room, which didn't surprise me one bit. I tried to be quick, but there was nothing faster than Mason when he had a bone to pick with someone.  

"Why did you leave this house with no one with you? You know those bastards are out there Lex." He used his serious tone. He didn't often have to use it on me.

I pivoted on my heel and handed him the plastic pharmacy bag. He glared, but snatched the bag from me. He froze when he looked in it. "You think you're pregnant already?" 

I shrugged. "I'm not sure, but I'm going to take a test to find out." 

All of Mason's anger and frustrations lifted from the bonds replacing with confusion, worry, and doubt.  

I smiled and cupped his face. "I'll just take the test and we'll find out if we should be worrying about anything."

It wasn't really a secret that we were trying to have a baby. I wanted one and now that we were mated, Mason was doing his best to stick to our deal.

And now was the big moment, the first test, and boy was I nervous. Could I fight back the change for nine long months? My life was perfect with Mason; would a baby make it better? I couldn't imagine that it would make our life together worse. I wrung my hands as I watched the test.

Mason was lying down on the bed, trying not to pay attention to my overwhelmed vibes through our bond. I could hear his steady breathing, but he was nervous too.

Then the answer appeared on the test. I stopped breathing. Could I really be? So soon?

Mason propped himself up on his elbows. "So?"

I ran towards him and put him flat on his back again. "We're pregnant." I couldn't stop smiling. I was so happy.

His smile wasn't so vibrant because he wasn't living in the moment. I could feel his worries and his fears for me. He was weighing our chances.

I grabbed both sides of his face and leaned down. "Stop thinking so hard. We're pregnant. You should be happy."

He wrapped his hands around me. "I am happy; I'm just not getting ahead of myself here."

I nodded. "I know. I'm just excited."

He really smiled this time and gave me a kiss. "I know you are."

I could still feel his worry through the bond, he was just acting happy to please me. But in this moment, there was nothing that could've brought me down from what I was feeling.

In that moment I was pregnant with the love-of-my-life's baby. Who knew what was going to happen next, but I wasn't going to stress out about it. What was meant to be would happen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

375K 14.6K 25
This book is a sequel to His Miracle Mate. *** **** *** Orla learns the secret of her ancestry, a secret that will make her a target if reveal...
22.8K 1.4K 68
ON HOLD FOR THE TIME BEING "Surrender to me, Artemis" He whispers in my ear harshly and I struggle even more against him, not wanting his proximity o...
105K 2.9K 32
Alexandra always hoped her mate would be exactly like everyone described. However, when she meets her mate and he doesn't sweep her off of her feet A...
650K 34.1K 36
[IMPORTANT SEQUEL ALERT: Book #2 of 'The Lost One' Series] Love. That's what they had. He loved her and she loved him. Kaiden had never been as pro...