Straight Into Darkness - Dese...

By robertlslater

If you have not read ALL IS SILENCE, this book will have spoilers. This is an EXCERPT from my second publishe... More

Prelude [Final Beta]
Chapter One [Final Beta]
Chapter Two [Final Beta]
Chapter Four [Final Beta]
Chapter Five [Final Beta]
Chapter Six [Final Beta]
Chapter Seven [Final Beta]
Chapter Eight [Final Beta]
Chapter Nine [Final Beta]
Chapter Ten [Final Beta]
Chapter Eleven [Final Beta]
F.A.Q.s [9/20/2015]
Release Information

Chapter Three [Final Beta]

2.1K 129 9
By robertlslater

As they rolled out of the suburbs and into the hills, the winds buffeted the RAV. Lizzie breathed a sigh of relief. Out here there was only the occasional dark house, and the chance of a patrol encounter was nil. The snow here lay undisturbed across the road like a blanket in the beams of the headlights.

Zach drove on in silence, knuckles white on the steering wheel.

She punched the red button on the dash until the audio to announce the RAV's silent electric motion sounded like a landspeeder from Star Wars. "Trust your feelings, Luke."

Zach snorted, but his grip on the steering wheel didn't let up.

"You want me to text Nev and let her know you found me?"

"I'll do it in a bit. You need anything? This area hasn't been collected. These houses are probably gold mines."

Lizzie shook her head. "I'm good. But we should go the last bit on foot, so nobody sees us coming."

"You think there might be people there?"

Lizzie laughed. "Maybe. We'll figure it out when we get there."

The information, or lack thereof, did nothing to relax Zach's knuckles. He pulled into a wide street with no snow in the middle.

"It's a military installation," Lizzie said. "If they are going to keep anything manned and operational, I'd guess, it would be the military stuff, but we're hoping that's not the case. Glen says it has the best computers in the country. He's counting on just moving right in to his own personal heaven."

"So, you were going to ring the bell and hide behind a bush?" Zach parked the car.

"Something like that." Lizzie's hands were nearly warm. Just in time to go back out into the weather. "I'm a scout. And so are you, if you are on my mission. Leave the weapons behind. If we get caught, we play dumb."

He handed her leather gloves. "Put these on."

"Thanks, Dad." She slid her fingers into the soft sheepskin. Much nicer than her mittens.

Zach threw up his hands in defeat and chuckled. Finally the old Zach was back—he was over himself and genuinely interested in helping Glen escape the breeders. Mission accomplished, thought Lizzie, or at least one mission. She grinned, "Okay, the base is another mile this way."

"I'm gonna call Nev first. I'll catch up."

Lizzie couldn't resist miming dragging a ball and chain across the snow as she walked on. Zach's glower returned. Lizzie picked up her invisible ball and stomped off toward the base. What was wrong with her, why couldn't she just leave off on a good note for once? "Catch me if you can," she said, sullenly.

She hurried her pace, not wanting to hear what Zach had to say about her. His voice softened as he reached Nev.

Lizzie pulled out her own phone out and dialed, "Glen. Almost there. Zach picked me up."

"Tell him thanks."

"Maybe."

"You two fighting again?" Glen asked. "It's my fault."

"Well, it's my fault you're in the situation with the breeders. But hopefully this mission will fix that. After this we're even."

"Just stay safe. I may need you for more missions." Glen's noisy breathing carried over the call. "I got something for you when the job is done."

"Something for me like a present? I thought I was paying you back."

"Doesn't have to be like that," Glen sighed into the phone. "I can do something nice for you."

"I don't like to feel like I owe somebody." Down the street, Zach walked toward her.

"Besides yesterday was your birthday."

"Don't remind me." Lizzie continued to walk away from Zach, but not as fast. "Can you give me a hint?"

Glen chuckled. "Let's just say it's data."

"Ugh, really? Well...umm...I look forward to receiving your gift. I know how data is like your precious," she said in a Gollum voice.

He laughed. "Maybe you would be more excited if I told you it was a way to get around the traffic shutdowns to external IPs in Provo?"

"Huh?"

"A way to talk to survivors outside Provo—other than my genius self."

"Shit, really?" The explanation in The City was that Internet communications were out due to power issues elsewhere. This kind of bullshit was what made her want to get far away.

"Someone went to a lot of trouble to keep the rest of the world out, but I figured how to circumvent their blocks."

"Glad you're my friend, Glen, the geek god!"

"Let me know what you find out, ASAP," Glen couldn't contain his excitement.

"I will. Talk to you later. Thanks."

"Oh, and don't worry, I already wiped the GPS tracker off of Zach's phone."

"Wait a sec. Did you tell him about the mission? Did you let him track my phone?"

"Ummm."

"What the fuck, Glen. Some secret mission. What kind of a person tracks a friend's GPS?"

"He made a pretty good, though violently paranoid point about you being pregnant and alone out there. Plus he was a good way to get you your present. He is supposed to give it to you after the mission."

As Zach got closer, she hurried her steps.

"Shit, Glen. This is fucked up." Looking at her internet history was probably a lie. Zach was spying on her. Even if the tracker was deleted. He could go to Glen anytime he wanted another one—maybe this wasn't even the first time.

"Sorry."

"So is everybody else. Thanks a lot, Glen."

"Wait up." Zach jogged toward Lizzie. "Hey," he called softly, "what's your hurry?"

She turned and greeted him with a fake smile. "How's Nev?"

"Fine," Zach said, with a hesitant skepticism at the honey dripping off her words. "She's glad you're safe."

"I'll bet."

He stared at her like she was crazy. "What's wrong? I thought we were good."

"Oh, you're good."

"Who were you talking to?" he asked.

Her first response was 'yer mom,' but it didn't come close to dealing with how pissed off she was. "Glen," she said. Let him wonder what Glen had said. She spun on her heel and stalked away from him.

"Lizzie," his voice begged forgiveness.

"Fuck you, Zach." Lizzie walked up a rise toward a glow of bright lights on the horizon. Glen would be happy to hear the base had power. Zach followed close behind her like a chastened pet. She hated that he'd lied to her—even if it was just telling her a part-truth—he hadn't trusted her. With a sigh of annoyance and resignation she realized that he wasn't doing anything she hadn't done first. But it wasn't the lying; this spying shit was messed up. She wasn't sure what to do about that. Should she tip him off that she knew? Or would she have a better advantage if he didn't know she knew? She knew to watch for the signs now. Of course it hadn't been chance that he had found her out here and been able to follow her so precisely.

"I'm sorry, Lizzie."

"Forget it." When she got to the top she halted. Stunned. A giant conglomeration of buildings sprawled below them, lit by superbright lights and surrounded by a chain link fence with razor wire at the top.

Zach pulled Lizzie's arm.

"What?" she hissed.

"Get down."

She let him pull her down.

"Anybody could be in there. Could be the military. Or could be someone has taken it over. Maybe Utah Independents?"

"Utah Independents wouldn't know what to do with a—what did Glen call it? 'A Lottabyte capacity data storage facility' ."

Zach chuckled. "Maybe not, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't want it."

Lizzie glared. "What are you laughing at?"

"A Lottabyte?" Zach leaned up on his elbow, looking down at her like she was stupid. "It's a YOTTAbyte."

"Bite me."

"It's a million terabytes. Probably could hold everything the human race ever created digitally."

"Thought you didn't know what we were here for."

"I didn't know, but at least I know how to say the word." Zach stared at her, his brow furrowed.

"Well, look who knows everything about everything—and everyone."

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing. Let's just do this." What if he wasn't just spying because of the baby? Were the Provo people putting him up to it? His boss? Captain Foote? Maybe he couldn't care less about her—it was all just a job to him. He had been enjoying his job way too much ever since they arrived.

"I'm not some stupid hick," he growled.

His anger startled her out of paranoia overdrive. "You were the kid in high school stupid enough to cheat off of me."

"Things change."

"Yeah. I know they do, asshole." Lizzie punched him in the arm. "I'm not stupid either, and I don't care if it's a yottabyte or just a lotta bytes—I'm here to help Glen. What are you here for?" Lizzie crawled away from him, along the ridge. She could just see the tops of the buildings and the lights.

Zach stole a glance over the hill and whistled. "It's huge. Looks like an entrance over there. "

"Looks empty though," Lizzie said. "But the gates are up."

Zach hunched down and moved forward awkwardly.

"Can you see anyone?"

"Nope. Seems quiet," he muttered, collapsing to his knees and crawling further up the rise.

"Okay. I don't really want to walk in the front gate, but I want to give Glen something worth our time and his. Do you have fence cutters in your Collector gear? Wait. I have a better idea." She shaded her eyes peering along the perimeter. "Let's find someplace to keep an eye on the place. We can take turns sleeping and watching. If there's no one here... Well, either The Shitty is going to get involved or someplace else is."

Zach glared at her.

"Sorry, The City," she said softly. "Come on. " She was finally starting to get under his skin. Good. Served him right for all his lying and spying. She wasn't sure if it was her dig at his precious Provo or the thought of him spending all night with her and having to explain it to Nev that did it, but she felt some small satisfaction now and could focus on her mission again.

They wandered further around the installation, checking out potential viewpoints, keeping carefully out of view along the ridge where they could just see the tops of the buildings and the lights. About half-way around, they found a large RV parked close enough to see the front gates.

Zach jimmied the window and stuck his nose inside. "Smells stale, but nothing bad."

He helped Lizzie get inside through the open window.

She let Zach in. There was a bunk above the driver's seat that had a window facing out. "I think we can see most of the facility from up there." She pointed to the bunk. "You sleepy?"

"I could sleep," Zach nodded. "But the cold will keep me awake. I'll take the first watch. If I get sleepy I'll wake you." Zach climbed up into the bunk,

"Suits me." Lizzie walked to the back. Through a skinny door there was a double bed, all neat and made up, like it was waiting for some lovely couple to come through the door. Lizzie climbed in, not bothering to take off her combat boots. Sleep ready, she'd decided. The cool pillowcase made her shiver. She lay there thinking. What did Zach want? Did he really want to keep the baby safe?

Lizzie pulled out her ancient iPod. Her father had laughed aloud when she showed him her treasure filled with all of his music from before she was born. He'd said the $300 player had been one of his last ridiculous splurges. That music had helped her through the rough years. She stuck in her ear buds, put it on the sleepy playlist. "Free" from the Empire Records soundtrack entwined around itself in her ear. She tried to empty her mind and let sleep come.

Her father could fall asleep anywhere. He'd learned in the Army. Zach and Duke could both do it and neither of them were in the army. It had to be a guy thing. She couldn't do it.

She stared up at the funny mushroom-shaped water stain on the ceiling. Kind of like an atomic bomb—kind of like her life. Was it irony that the world ended without any bombs and yet here she was staring at the aftermath of one? She could never remember what was irony and what wasn't—Alanis Morissette was not a reliable resource and no English teacher had ever said anything that stuck.

Obviously, she wasn't going to sleep. If she snuggled next to Zach it would keep them both warmer, but the thought of Nev finding out made her twitchy.

Lizzie's brain flashed back over her new life, the life since everything ended. Telling Zach and Nev about the baby had been the weirdest. The thing with her and Zach had been a drunken mistake, before she and Zach knew Nev was alive. But it still hung over them like a black cloud.

Not for the first time, she wondered if she should give the baby to Nev and make herself scarce. Or Rachael. Everyone would be better off without Crazy Lizzie around, especially the baby.

She threw off the covers, grabbing the heavy top blanket and clumped to the forward bunk. "I can watch if you want to sleep," she muttered.

"Can't sleep?" Zach asked. He didn't get up.

"Nah." She climbed up the ladder and slid in next to him. "See anything?"

"Nothing moving."

Lizzie lay down next to him and stared out the window. "So, can you go to sleep? Like on a whim?"

Zach shrugged. "Sometimes. You can't?"

"Nah. Too many things chase around in my mind. Knock me over the head, exhaust me or get me drunk... That usually works."

"Go out for a run," Zach grinned. "Don't do any of the others."

"Oh sure. Why don't I have a jog up to the gate and jump around naked in front of the guard house? That won't get their attention. Shut up and let me steal some of your warmth." She leaned in with her back against his side and pulled the covers over both of them.

"Don't you be trying anything, Lizzie."

"Fuck you, Zach. Just—just don't say anything to Nev, okay?"

He could not fulfill her needs for anything more than a warm body. Duke, the other male member of her Bellingham transient tribe, had been hinting and flirting for a month, but she'd managed to ignore it. He was hunky and hot, but her track record with boyfriends was pretty bad.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...