The Lost Token

By Victoria_Carver

❝Can you feel the way my heart beats for you? I hate it. I hate you.❞ Thrown into a world of manners, balls... More

Quick Author's Note
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten

Chapter One

184 11 2
By Victoria_Carver

Staring absently beyond the stained plexiglass, I found nothing but endless fields of dehydrated corn stalks welComing me. About 40.8% of North American soil is farmland and I'm sure 38.9% is Balta County itself.

Warm sun rays poured from the window, showering me with their heat. A hint of a smile formed on my lips. Dang, how I love the feel of the Indiana Sun.

I shut my eyelids, sucking up the warmth the Sun radiated, reminiscing about my brother's previous birthday and therefore began my chronic journey of deep thoughts. These thoughts consisted of my ever-growing hypothesis that the evening sun-rays compelled their victims into feeling attractive and courageous. I know it sounds outrageous, but I can't help but believe it. I mean, whenever I find myself blinded by those killer rays, I feel.. beautiful. Powerful. A grunt-that was supposed to be a 'giggle'- erupted from my mouth.

When I opened my milky eyelids, I was met with a dark, hateful gaze. "Hey, shithead." I cringe at the insult, silently cursing my parents for my name.

"It's Ali," I mutter, before turning away from the beady eyed boy. "Not shit, pimple face." He glared at me from beneath greasy eyelashes.

"Whatever, shit breath." I sigh and arch my back, pretending to crack my neck to avoid the chills that went with awkward moments. Ah, how they love me. Shielding my eyes with a milky hand, I directed my hazel hues towards the ever growing fields yet again.

Suddenly remembering, I snatched my navy backpack from the bus floor. I sifted through the cluttered papers and binders, searching for a certain device. Where is it, where is it.. Ah! I had found it, my mint green Ipod Shuffle. A glorious music player in which I will cherish forever and ever.

I then began my run-of-the-mill type search for my earbuds, which were of course in my side pocket, their usual spot. I hurriedly plugged the aux in, skipping through old hip-hop songs I wasn't into any more.

I soon found my kick-off track, 'Free Fallin'' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, their most iconic song, and blocked out the chubby kid's ongoing insults. A great song, with great beats. I rested my cheek on the glass, resuming with my random thoughts. Maybe I'd never get out of Indiana, there were lots of things pulling me down. My eyes direct their attention to a certain spot. I swear I saw movement in those corn stalks.

I pressed my face against the glass, attempting to get a better look. I know I saw something; there it is.

A flash of thick burgundy fur. My forehead creased in confusion as the truth hit me like a steel truck and I was furious beyond belief.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I stepped down onto the gravel road, my flats digging into the rocks below. The yellow contraption that was plummeting down the road wasn't permitted down here, so I was forced to walk to my safe haven. Not that I minded a bit, walking allowed me to stretch my legs and think some more.

Anyhow, the rest of the bus ride home had been pretty average. I also didn't see anymore reddish-brown tufts of fur stalking me, so that's great news. Though my earbuds began crackling about midway through 'Here Without You' by Three Doors Down, which wasn't so great. Speaking of which, I had tucked the Shuffle in my front pouch, alongside my earbuds so I wouldn't squish them.

I slowly made my way down the winding path, leading towards a slightly isolated town. The town itself was a bit odd, but it was a werewolf town after all. Aren't they supposed to be isolated from the rest of mankind?

My heart pounded in my ear, becoming a lulling tune in my head. Buh-bumh, buh-bumh, buh-bumh, and over again. The soft beats toned out the chatty birds and vocal squirrels.

After walking with my head lowered for around five minutes, I glance up in time to see a brick Michigan styled bungalow to my right. Brilliant Daisies littered the plot of dirt in front of the wrap-around porch, giving the building a homey sense to it. The siding was a rich nut-brown, the trimming eggshell white.

Home sweet home.

I gently closed the screen door, making sure it didn't slam it on the way in. "Mom! I'm home!" I announced, hanging my backpack on the top screw. I glanced around the dining room area, but found no mother in sight. "Where are you, Mom?" I called out, my head swirling with insane possibilities.

"In the bathroom! I will be out in a second!" I heard her holler from the back of the house. She was probably just getting ready for the meeting in the pack house. News on the street was that Dad's going to be giving an important speech tonight and it's going to affect everyone, no matter your rank. It may only affect my living space, but I don't even go to the same school as my brothers anymore, not since I turned fifteen.

I hushed my thoughts and strolled over to the beverage stained fridge, snatching up a goody from inside; a cold can of Rootbeer. My love and devotion for the soda Rootbeer is real, very real. However, it may be cut short due to my persistence to dump a few cups of sugar in one mug of coffee. Only time will tell which murders me faster.

"Hey, Ali. How was your day, hun?" Mom inquires, slipping out of the bathroom door. I offer her a small smile and a lame excuse of a shrug. "So-so? Hmm. Well, tonight your father is going to be releasing some news for the student body, I think it may even have a bit to do with you." Her plump lips stretched for miles, thinning out just a tad.

I quirked a fine eyebrow at this, "Something that will affect me? How? I don't even go to the community school, Mom." I express, doubt lacing my voice. She simply waved her elegant hands in response, as though swatting the truth from existence. She can't just erase how it really is though, no matter how much she wants to.

"Say what you want hun, but I haven't lost hope in you yet. Two of your brothers have already matured since their fifteenth birthday, you're just a late bloomer." Even as she said this, we both felt the doubt and grief that filled the air. That's right, I was a almost three years too late.

I recall when I was seven, when the pack thought I was to become the Beta's beloved daughter, my mother had been filling my eight-year-old brother in on the topic, 'Mates'.

"Daniel, on your fifteenth birthday you'll began to notice a few changes." Mom smiled at him."

"Your blood will run hot but you'll feel chilly, incredibly chilly. Eventually, you'll fall on all fours, pain spreading throughout your body like wildfire. Every move you make will put you in a world of pain, but it's all worth it." She patted his shoulder as though to comfort him."

"After that, you're part of the pack. You're one of us; a werewolf." She lectured, her words all bite and no bark.

I'm sure she had told him more on the matter when he got older, but that was what I was there to hear. Even today my heart still swells at the thought of having someone so romantic searching for you. They can't reject you. But I wasn't lucky enough to receive a mate nor a wolf form. I am a simple little human in a big-bad wolf pack.

* * *

Bobby Darin's classic voice pounded in my ears. Dream Lover has to be my favorite track by him by far, it kind of relates to me. "I wanna dream lover, so I don't have to dream alone!" I fake-sung with a humorous deep tone. My voice bounced off the attic walls, forcing the soundwaves back to my own ears. I cringe a bit but find myself laughing loudly.

"Dream Lover, aye? Interesting." A way-too familiar voice rung out. I snap my head towards the stairway, my heart racing from anxiety. Why does it have to be him? He stood with his back leaning on the stair-railing, biting his slightly red lip.

I nod towards him, spinning around to fumble with my Shuffle. After a few seconds, I finally manage to pause the stupid music player. I didn't realize practice would be over already, geez. They should really let a girl know instead of allowing their players to sneak up on them and give them a mini-heart attack at seventeen. "So.. how's school going?"

I spun around again, taking in his 6' foot and 1 inch stature. He had a full head of blonde wisps that trailed a little past his ears. His side fringes framed defined cheekbones, a squared jaw and vivid icy hues.

"Like what you see?" He teased in a husky tone, quirking a light eyebrow. Oh god. I had been staring too long again. I mentally facepalmed myself. "Anyhow," He pressed on, ignoring my own question. "I stopped up here to tell you that the meeting is about to begin and my father wants everyone to attend."

I nod in reply, simply wanting him to get out of here. "Alright, I understand. I'll head out as soon as you leave-" Oops. I probably shouldn't have said something that would indicate that I wanted him to leave so bad. Knowing Jae, he'll probably stay just to torture me. Wait a minute, I had a bone to pick with this guy.

"Is that so? "He seemed to ponder something for a moment, "Then I'll stay for a while. We still have a good thirty minutes till the pack meeting anyhow," His eyes flickered to my own, searching for some sort of annoyance.

So I threw on a fake smile and beared with it. "Of course you're welcome to stay, Jae." His blue hues widened in surprise, but quickly returned to normal before I could notice. "But there seems to be something we need to discuss, it has to do with a certain burgundy wolf.." I trailed off, slowly walking towards him with a smirk plastered on my lips.

He shook his head, taking a step down the stairs. "I actually need to get ready for the Hunt tonight, not that you've ever participated." Jae spoke with his usually bitter harshness, but there was a couple of emotions that surprised even me; sympathy and embarrassment. I offered the lean boy in front of me a hint of a smile, but it hid how much the comment truly hurt.

It was true, being human limited my contact and participation with the pack, but I don't mind all that much. I still have my friends within it.

"Till next time." And Jae was gone. A wave of guilt flashed inside me for making him blush. But hey, it's not me who's stalking him. I mentally face-palmed myself. I shouldn't of tried to confront him yet. I sighed, biting my lip in worry. Well, I guess I was going to have to do it sometime.

I strolled over to my oak dresser, searching for a certain hoodie. Come here big pull-over, I love the bagginess. I snatched up the silky dark fabric, throwing it over my plain grey shirt. Another sigh escaped me, blending into a yawn. I really should have to went to bed earlier; another mental facepalm.

A knock sounded on the wall near the bottom of the stairs, signaling to me it was time for the meeting. "Thanks, I'll be down in just a sec." I admitted, still searching for a few hair ties to throw on my wrist. They were like my baby safety-guard, I feel slightly more confident when they're placed on both wrists.

Finding two black slim-fit ones, I began my adventure towards the packhouse with them secured snugly on my wrists. Hopefully it's nothing like, 'All age-appropriate members in this town must attend Wolfy-High!', yes, that would suck tremendously. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

524K 9.7K 24
Aria is loved by her family and pack ever since she was a kid. But since her brother died, they all blamed it on her. Making her the servant and "pun...
1.6M 43.9K 28
*COMPLETED* My head bowed in a heavy mannor, not in respect, but in trepidation. I discern his unwavering gaze over my ill silhouette. "Look at me." ...
9.1K 355 65
Warning this book is for mature readers only, sexual scenes, torture, death, gore and assault are all presents throughout the 2 books. Soon to be 3 b...
1.6K 22 15
Everyone deserves a second chance don't they? Join Ariyah Rossi on her journey through heartache, betrayal, and finding her mate. Everyone makes a bi...