The voice of the night

By shrutstwilightphilic

Whenever his voice crooned from the Radio, my heart would start beating to the frequency of his sound. His la... More

Do Not Disturb! Its 9 pm
50 shades of..... blue???
3. V for.....
Lion in the Library
V calling.....Birthday Girl!
The Haunting in the rain
Baka!
Alcohol and Petrol
Those eyes in the dark...
The gift...
DISCLAIMER- Makeover in progress
RJ's Christmas.....
GOA!!!
The knoll...
Butter 'n' Scotch

Secrets and Malls

119 10 6
By shrutstwilightphilic

For someone who once told me that we tend to write about things which will never happen in our real life. Thank you for gifting me with more ideas, for now I write the reality intermingled with fiction.

Silence and confusion intermingled in Ved's gaze and finally he cleared his throat.

"What are you doing here?" His voice was marred with the loud sound of pelting raindrops.

I blinked. "That is one strange question."

Quietness- that was all that met my surprised statement.

Finally I sighed, "See, I don't know why you are here but this is Dave's house, yes that same guy who has made you his favourite punching bag, so you better take a 180 degree and walk away as fast as you can."

A near smile cocked on the tips of his lips. Removing his wet strands of hair from his eyes, he opened those luscious lips to speak but instead...

"Kathy!" Dave's loud voice jarred from the adjacent room.

"Yes?" I squeaked.

"Who is there on the door?"

"Uh... no one."

"Don't lie to me. I can hear you talking to someone. Who is it?"

Shuddering I turned my pleading gaze to Ved. Why was he even here? I did not want any action scene from a movie being played out in the room with Dave and Ved being its participants. What if Dave came to know about our tuition arrangements?

"Kathy! Open the damn door!" Dave now sounded really pissed.

I jumped a feet in the air in shock at the sudden change in his Decibel scale.

"Fine.I am opening it." 'Please go away.' I mouthed to Ved but the stupid guy held his ground stubbornly.

The door was thrown open and in marched Dave like a man out for blood.

"Now who the Devil...." but when his gaze fell on Ved he stuttered and broke off.

His eyes hastily looked at me and back at Ved. At last he chose his words carefully, "I can explain this Kathy." His voice was undeniably laced in guilt as fully as Eclairs dipped in a healthy dose of caramel.

"Yes?" I asked confused. What was going on here?

"You see Ved's here because he lives here." Dave threw me a  pleading glance as if begging me to understand.

"Oh", I nodded my head and then, "What?" Ved lives here as in they live together as in they are together-together as in " Ved is gay?!" I nearly shouted.

"What? No!" Dave stuttered and a muffled laughter was heard which came suspiciously from Ved's direction.

"That is not the case, I mean, he is my flat-mate."

"Oh. Well that is understandable." I shrugged and threw myself on the couch, now eyeing the chocolate on the table with interest.

Dave took in a breath of relief and turned to glare at Ved who was now removing his dripping raincoat.

"Weren't you supposed to be at your workplace?" He sounded irritated.

"Yes but I left my bag at home." Without casting another glance at me or Dave, he went inside.

"That is strange though, now that I think about it."

Dave's shoulders became tensed and he turned to look at me. "What?"

"How come he lives here and I have never seen him before?"

"He is usually not at home. Either he remains at his work place or he does whatever nerds are meant to do."

"But why not tell us about him?"

"Because Kathy!" He sighed in exasperation, "I don't inform you every time I carry my waste bag out, now do I? He is no different than that." Stomping his foot he went back to his room to play the paused game just as Ved rounded the corner. He might have heard what Dave said.

"Don't mind, okay? I am sure he does not mean it."

Ved flashed me a small smile and said, " I am quite used to this. I don't mind anymore."

Giving a wry bye he left and I sagged into the couch, wondering about this little riddle called Ved.

_*_*_*__*_*_*_**_*__*__**__*_*_*_*_*__*_*_*_*_*_**_*__**_*_*_*_*_*__**_

"I am convinced he is the only one for me", the girl's breath was very much audible on the speaker, " but he does not see me as anything more than a friend.I have always been the best friend, the one you ask for girlfriend advises and someone you would like to hang out with but he always fall for the bimbos. Sometimes I wonder if he even remembers that I am a girl."

The audio was cut off and V's voice again resumed in its usual chatty mood.

"Dear Saumya, I can always give you advises out of a chick flick- wear heels and dresses, cake yourself with make up,  fall into his laps and hope that your best friend becomes your boyfriend but here is the thing- I will do no such thing. This guy already likes you for what you are, that is the exact reason he gives you so much importance in his life. If this friendship will develop into something more or not- this time will tell but remember, who ever out there is made for you will like you for whatever and whoever you are. Until then you can console yourself knowing that you matter more to your best friend than all those Bimbos he has random flings with. Next up is Wild Dreams by Taylor Swift as is requested by Saumya. I hope you all are enjoying the night, Party people! Soooooo..." And the song started to play.

I removed my headphones and slouched in my study chair, giving a blank look at the home work sheets of botanical terms in front of me. I needed help. Scrolling down the contact list, I called Vir's number.

"This number is not reachable, please try....." I disconnected the call with a frustrated growl and redialed the number. This time thankfully the call was connected.

"Hello?" Vir's voice sounded distant with many shouts and sounds being heard in the background.

"Hello, Vir. Are you outdoor?" I had to raise my voice in order to be audible.

"Yes, I am in the middle of..uh.. something." Vir ended the sentence a bit unsure.

"Okay. Listen I was not able to get this something in Botany."

"Vir, you are on in 5 minutes." A feminine voice said from somewhere near him.

I raised my eyebrows, "What was that? Are you with a girl?"

"Ah, yes. Listen Kathy, you are not really audible. I will message you when I am free, okay? Don't mind, Love. Good night."

The call was disconnected rather abruptly and I sat pondering for sometime. I would have been really offended had my brain processes not engaged in another direction. Vir was on in 5 minutes for what?

Some minutes later, RJ V came on air again, this time trouble shooting a marriage problem but I just could not overlook the coincidence. 

The following morning was beautiful for I was awakened by the most beautiful voice on the face of the Earth.

"Hello and I am the voice of your nights..." My cell phone repeated again.

"Why am I not surprised that you have recorded his voice and made it your alarm tune." The voice which sounded like Ira's came from somewhere above me.

"Go away." I threw my pillow at the source of the voice.

"Okay, don't get angry because you have forced me to do this."

A splash of ice cold water fell upon my curled up form. Every cell of my body was on high alert when I screamed at Ira to get out, which she did albeit with a Cheshire cat grin.

I looked at my clock. Yes, I was late, again!

One hour later, I was leaning against the creaking gate of the front entrance. I was waiting- oh, not for Dave or Vir... it was for someone really unexpected.

As if on cue, he emerged from the thick crowd of students but he stood out, so different as if he belonged to a parallel universe. His head was bowed and his eyes did not meet with anyone's. Headphones plugged in and the world was forgotten.

Smirking, I waited for him to reach me and then I snapped my fingers in front of his face. He blinked and finally his eyes focused on me, my smirk widened.

"Good morning!"

His expressions softened (if only a bit) and he removed his headphones, "Good morning." The richness of his baritone washed over me like the sniff of fresh mint early in the morning.  Now I was the one to blink.

"Uh yeah, morning-morning", I stuttered before I regained my chain of thoughts, " As I was saying- today is Saturday."

"Intelligent observation, Madam Kathy, same as once every week." His eyes held a shine. I laughed and shook my head- in reality I was enraptured by that twinkle.

"You forgot, we had a deal."

"I did not forget but I hoped that you would have.So we meet after school?" His elegant eyebrow went up. This guy was perfection- why would no one see it?

"Nope. We are going now!"I gave him an excited smile as I started dragging him towards the parking lot.

"What? but now? I will my classes! Let us reschedule." His loud protests followed me.

"You won't die if you bunk your class, Mr. Goddie-two-shoes. Missing classes once in a while is healthy (Disclaimer - viewer discretion advised :P ). Now come on, its your maiden voyage on my beast. I am so excited!" However, Ved did not seem terribly excited about it.

10 MINUTES LATER:-

"Where did you learn to drive like that?" Ved stood by the side clutching his stomach. He looked an unhealthy shade of green.

"Dave." I answered with a proud smile.

He mumbled something under his breath which sounded like "Why am I not surprised?"

"Did you say anything?" I coaxed.

"Nothing at all. Now here we are in a mall's parking lot. Where to next?"

"Where I can get all the pretty, pinky dresses." I gave him a wide smile- the same brainless one which Tanya gave before she went on a shopping spree.

"Okay." He gave me a suspicious look before he followed me into the elevator.

I led him into a brand outlet and nodded, "This is it."

"This is not a pinky princess dress-a-land. This is Armani."

"Yes, this is exactly where I wanted to come."

He faced me with his eyebrows furrowed, "What exactly are you playing at?"

"See Ved I think you are perfect the way you are but other people just cannot see that..."

He rolled his eyes and cut me off, "Just get to the point."

I shrugged, "I am giving you a makeover."

"What?" His eyes widened.

"Madam." A company employee greeted me with a smile, "The transaction has been made. Sir can try all the suits you have picked out for him."

"Perfect."

"What?" Ved repeated in shock.

" Oh don't worry. Dave's father owns this malls and the one next to it and also the one next to it and maybe also..! Oh well leave it. Anyways, money ain't an issue here."

"But.." Ved opened his mouth to protest.

"He won't be an easy one. Do you have any special services for the tough ones?" I turned to look at the employee.

"Of course Madam."

Four muscular arms appeared on Ved's arms and he was dragged to the changing room.

"Hey! Hey! You cannot withhold me against my consent! This is kidnapping! This is illegal!", his wide eyes glared at me and one accusing finger was pointed at me, "You will pay for this, Kathy!" and then his struggling form disappeared behind the curtains.

I stood shocked at his outburst. Finally, I giggled. These boys are always closet- drama queen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

494K 17.4K 37
BOOK 1 C O M P L E T E D U N D E R E D I T I N G I quickly ran into a random room and locked the door behind me. Breathing heavy Sweating Scared "...
5.7K 123 60
"How do you feel now, Morgan?" She says, more pointing something out than asking a question. She grabs hold of my wrists and tightens them. If I coul...
244 26 8
"Hello fellow idiot.Let us join together and form an idiot nation.Agree to my proposal or face sudden death." "Thy shall not be keen to those who thr...
Nothing to lose By H

Teen Fiction

267K 7.4K 39
My best friend Greyson McNamara and I have been partners in crime for a while now. Pranks, sneaking out to go to parties, joy riding in our parents'...