Two Years Later || Book II

By hckyhlka

"You don't understand!" Ondrej shouted. "Yes, I do, Ondrej." Michael stared blankly at him. "I get it, you m... More

Prologue
Chapter One - The Road
Chapter Two - Loverboy
Chapter Three - Truth Be Told
Chapter Five - Moving On
Chapter Six - Brother
Chapter Seven - My Heart's to Blame
Chapter Eight - World So Cold
Chapter Nine - Someone, Somewhere
Chapter Ten - So Cold
Chapter Eleven - Hypnotize
Chapter Twelve - Shots Fired
Chapter Thirteen - Endless Skies
Epilogue - One Year Later

Chapter Four - Wait and See

38 2 0
By hckyhlka

It was midnight, and my options for places to visit were limited; until I reached the bar.

I headed directly to the counter, where I just ordered a beer. After receiving my beverage, I turned to look for somewhere to sit. I looked around for a moment, until I noticed a familiar face.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing sitting alone?" I questioned, catching her off guard.

"Ondrej!" She blushed, patting the chair next to her.

"I just thought a girl like you would need a bodyguard," I chuckled, sitting down next to her, "You know, with all the drunks around here."

She giggled, before taking a sip from her drink.

"What are you doing here alone?" I asked, "What happened to you boyfriend?"

She frowned and looked away, "We broke up the night he arrived here."

"I really hope you weren't too upset," I commented, "A girl as amazing as you, Daniela, don't deserve a moron like him, anyways."

I looked at her, wrapping my arm around the back of her chair.

"But, Ondrej," she retorted, "You don't get it, I still love him, that's the thing..."

Little did she know, I knew all too well what she was going through. Although, I never really talked about her anymore, let alone bring her up to people I just met.

"I get it," I said, in an attempt to comfort her, "It can't be easy to get over someone you've loved so much, for so long..."

It pained me to no end to utter those words. I hated pretending I didn't know what it felt like.

"It really isn't," she agreed, her voice softening, "You know, you're really sweet, Ondrej..."

"Oh, I know," I smirked, giving her a wink.

She slugged my shoulder.

"Well, I mean, you probably have to be smooth," she started, "see as how you're a hockey player... You can have any girl you want, whenever you want her."

Oh, the contrary, my dear. I had the only girl I wanted, and she's gone now.

"Yeah, I guess," I laughed softly, shrugging.

"I can't believe I'm actually at a bar, at midnight, explaining all my problems to a guy I practically just met."

"Hey, didn't we agree we're friends?" I reminded her, giving her a soft slug on the shoulder.

"You're right," she giggled, smiling softly. "I forgot."

"How dare you forget me?" I cried, holding a hand to my chest as if I were actually insulted.

I just hoped she'd pick up on my sarcasm.

"I'm so sorry," she explained, her voice pained, "Will you ever forgive me?"

I chuckled softly and crossed my arms, looking back at the door.

"You're really funny," she observed, breaking the awkward silence I created.

"Thanks," I muttered, emotionless. I was too distracted by the door.

For a second, I could've sworn I'd seen her.

Like, when she'd come to the bar while the guys and I are celebrating, to check on me. To make sure I wasn't getting into 'too much trouble', as she'd always say. And after having a few drinks herself, we'd walk home together, hand-in-hand.

I couldn't possibly replace that... But, I knew I had to try.

"Ondrej?"

Daniela's voice broke my train of thought.

"What?" I turned to her and shouted.

"I-I'm sorry-"

"No, I'm sorry," I insisted, placing my hand upon hers on the table. I stroked the top of her hand briefly, before pulling away. "I didn't mean to yell like that..."

"Don't mention it," she insisted, flashing me a grin.

I looked down at the table where our drinks sat, only to notice her glass was empty.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

That 'drink', turned into multiple. And a few beers later, the thoughts of Anna just seemed to disappear.

It was refreshing; it was almost as if I could finally live my life, without carrying around guilt and remorse.

As we continued to talk, I grew closer and closer to this girl. I felt like I could be myself around Daniela; like I meant more than just some attractive, millionaire hockey player to her. She could see who I really was, and that's what I wanted more than ever.

"Oh shit," Daniela cried, "It's already three in the morning! I have to work tomorrow morning..."

"It's okay," I reassured her, "Just go home."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Go home," I whispered, holding her shoulders and looking her directly in the eyes.

"Look, Ondrej, I had such an amazing night, I'm just sorry it had to end like this..."

I pulled her into a hug, then, in an attempt to quit her rambling.

"Don't worry about it," I insisted, "Just have a goodnight, okay?"

"Thanks," she smiled, before turning away and heading for the door.

I watched as she left the building. And moments later, I followed.

"Daniela!" I called after her, jogging to catch up.

"Ondrej?" She turned to me, "what are you doing?"

"There's something that I've been putting off since I met you," I rushed, breathless.

I pulled her towards me, closing the gap between us completely. I placed my hands on her face, and pulled her in for a kiss. As we broke apart, she looked up at me, shell-shocked.

"Look," I started, "If you ever find yourself at a Jets game someday, make sure to stop by the locker room and say 'hello'."

---

I'm SO sorry... This chapter is a filler/plot twist all-in-one. Plus, It's slightly on the shorter side. And I know, it's rushed and sloppily written, but I swear it will get better.

Hope you're enjoying it so far!

-Courtie :) xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 53 16
"Those twelve days were the best days of my life, because I got to spend them with you."
3.2K 24 15
"Can you tell me what hurts more is it remembering or forgetting"
13.4K 486 19
Everyone always talks about what it's like to be the girlfriend, but I'm not her. Finished 2016.
22.8K 1.1K 22
❝ " are you insane!? " "no, but i'm crazy about you." "oh, you fucking sap." ❞ hockey-player!pete {started 30 july 2017 completed: 12 nov 2017} ©pre...