The Rivalry

By thunder1417

Lynnae Ahmisto is princess and heir to the Aeryan Kingdom, though she isn't exactly thrilled about the respon... More

The Rivalry
The Rivalry Chapter 2
The Rivalry Chapter 3
The Rivalry Chapter 4
The Rivalry Chapter 5
The Rivalry Chapter 6
The Rivalry Chapter 7
The Rivalry Chapter 8
The Rivalry Chapter 9
The Rivalry Chapter 10
The Rivalry Chapter 11
The Rivalry Chapter 12
The Rivalry Chapter 13
The Rivalry Chapter 14
The Rivalry Chapter 15
The Rivalry Chapter 16
The Rivalry Chapter 17
The Rivalry Chapter 18
The Rivalry Chapter 19
The Rivalry Chapter 20
The Rivalry Chapter 21
The Rivalry Chapter 22
The Rivalry Chapter 23
The Rivalry Chapter 25
The Rivalry Chapter 26
The Rivalry Chapter 27
The Rivalry Chapter 28
The Rivalry Chapter 29
The Rivalry Chapter 30
The Rivalry Chapter 31
The Rivalry Chapter 32
The Rivalry Chapter 33
The Rivalry Chapter 34
The Rivalry Chapter 35
The Rivalry Chapter 36
The Rivalry Chapter 37
The Rivalry Chapter 38
The Rivalry Chapter 39
The Rivalry Chapter 40
The Rivalry Chapter 41
The Rivalry: Epilogue

The Rivalry Chapter 24

35.8K 923 21
By thunder1417

"Oh, I'll miss you! You must come back soon!" Hannah pouted and pulled on my hand as I went to leave the suite.

Grant and I were returning to Aerya today for the first time in over two fortnights. It would have been much sooner, if it wasn't for the accident. We had already made the announcement and everybody seemed to know, but Hannah couldn't help herself from attempting to get me to stay with her. Grant had picked three trusted advisers, all men I had never met but were close to him and his late father, that would overlook the palace while he was away and inform him of anything that happened that needed immediate attention.

"Hannah dear, I'll be back, enjoy your off time," I smiled as I pecked her cheek and walked away, catching up to Grant who was patiently waiting in the hall for me.

I sighed, preparing myself for the long ride that was to come.

Arcadia and Othello were already saddled and ready to leave when we reached the stables.

"How do you feel?" Grant asked me as I reached for a treat for Cade, before his long travels.

"I am well, thank you. It doesn't hurt so much anymore." I smiled at him.

"I hope the long travels won't be too bothersome."

"I am not worried," I said as I walked over to Othello, handing him a treat also.

"Of course you aren't, you are too stubborn to be worried," he laughed.

I enjoyed the warmth of the sun and cool spring breeze as we rode, it was very refreshing. We stopped at Bardonte, dismounting our horses to get the blood flow back in our legs. Many of the townsfolk knew who we were and many stared. They had heard of our joining, but didn't know whether to believe it true or gossip.

"My Queen! My Queen! Please, wait!" I heard a high pitched voice squeak as I turned to get some water for Cade from a shop-side trough.

I turned around and couldn't find the person who had spoken. Grant must not have heard the voice, because he was talking to the owner of the shop as Othello refreshed himself.

"My Queen!" I heard the voice again and this time I felt an accompanying tug at my skirts. I looked down and saw a little child looking up at me. She was at the most, seven years old, and her golden honey hair was tangled and matted, her face dirty.

"Hello there," I smiled as I bent down and kneeled so I could be level with the girl. "What is your name?"

"Rowan, My Lady," she said, suddenly shy.

"Very nice to meet you Rowan, I'm Lynnae." I smiled.

"I know," she giggled. "You're the one that saved my papa from having to go far away. We live in Tarontel, we came here for a holiday."

My heart swelled.

"Everybody knows who you are. And him!" she said and pointed up suddenly. I looked to see a smiling Grant looking down at us.

Grant bent down and picked Rowan up, she wrapped her arms around him securely and her big brown eyes were shining.

"Hello, Rowan."

"Well, you don't seem so scary," she said as she studied him.

"Pardon me?" he said as he laughed at her as she began to pick at his ears.

"Well aren't you the new King? The one we we are all supposed to be afraid of? Well, that's a bunch of tosh if you ask me. You don't seem so scary at all."

"How old are you, Rowan?"

"I'll be seven soon." She smiled.

"Well, here, take this as an early gift," he said as he handed her three gold pieces.

"Oh!!" She squeaked as he set her back down on her feet. "Oh! Thank you! I knew you weren't a bad man, I just knew! You and the Queen saved my papa, he was going to have to go away for a long time, but he said it's safe now, and that I don't have to worry anymore. Thanks!" she squealed in delight.

"You are very welcome," he smiled. "Run along now, your mother will be worried."

She looked from him to me, started giggling again, and ran off, her bare feet slapping on the streets.

"That is what makes all the trouble worthwhile." I whispered quietly.

*****

We arrived in Shelisaere at midday; we had left very early that morning. We were greeted by trumpets blaring, as they always did when a royal returned from a journey. I smiled and waved, as did Grant. We enjoyed the warm welcome, but both were very tired and wanted nothing more than to relax.

"Lance, could you please get Othello and Arcadia taken care of?" I said as I hopped to the ground inside the stable.

"Of course, of course. Enjoy your day," he smiled as he picked up a caddie with brushes and such, and walked over to the horses to start unsaddling them.

I turned and slowly started to walk back to the palace, ignoring the slight ache in my stomach, my mind set on my chambers and the bed that awaited me there.

Once we arrived at the chambers, I immediately made my way to the powder room to bathe. The day was already long and it would be relaxing. Though there was much daylight left, I would spend it resting.

I took down my hair as Vivian prepared the water.

"How was your stay, Miss?" She asked as she prodded the water with her finger, making sure it wasn't too hot.

"Oh it was wonderful." I smiled.

"That's good. Your parents were very frightened when they heard of the attack..." She whispered quietly, and I saw something else in her eyes.

"And..." I knew she was leaving something out.

"Your father. He was furious. He nearly took a group of men down there and executed an attack," she said quickly.

"He wouldn't have..." I breathed, feeling very betrayed.

"Your mother just barely stopped him...but I must be going. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I thought you should know," She scuttled out of the room after untying my gown and I just dismally waved my hand at her as she went.

I couldn't believe that my father would dare put everything I had worked for into jeopardy. It would have ruined this entire plan. Our new kingdom is fragile enough, why would he try and disintegrate it like that...I would need to speak with him, soon, before he could do anything irrational.

I tried to forget my problems for the time being as I slipped into the hot water, letting my muscles relax and enjoying the scent of the freshly picked lilacs that swirled in the water around me. I scrubbed my body and stayed in the bath until the water turned cool. I combed my hair and let it lay damp on my back. I dressed in a loose undergarment top and skirt and returned to my chambers where Grant awaited me.

I walked over the loveseat where he sat and I sat down on the arm of the chair, looking into his emerald eyes.

"Is something the matter?" He asked as he lightly grabbed my hand.

"It's nothing," I said quietly.

"Nonsense. You're troubled, tell me," he said as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me onto his lap. I gathered my hands in my lap and looked down ashamed.

"My father nearly attacked after I was hurt. He nearly compromised everything we had worked for. It would have ruined everything."

"It would not have ruined everything," he said firmly.

"How would it not? Our new kingdom is so fragile." I whispered.

"It's stronger than you think. Have you any idea the looks people have on their faces when they see you? They love you. They have faith in you. They have faith in us. We must have faith in us too."

"I do but how could I fight my own father?"

"You will not need to. I will speak to him. Nothing will ruin this," He whispered.

I was about to cut him off but he stood up slowly and pulled me to my feet. He stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist and rest his chin on my shoulder.

"I believe it, you must too." I heard him breathe quietly behind me.

"I do," I said finally accepting it.

"I truly mean it, you know," he whispered quietly, his breath tickling my ear. "We can do this."

I did know it. I was in disbelief and a world of ecstasy all at the same time. I could not believe that we had reached this point. The man I once believed to be my murderer, the man who I believed would be the end of my family, of the Ahmisto kingdom, was holding me in his arms and smiling down at me. And what a beautiful smile it was, one that melted my heart...and always had. I just refused to believe it before. I believed that I would be fine on my own and that I didn't need anybody in this way. And now, here I am, bound to him for life and happy.

"I know." I smiled as I said the words.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 5.1K 48
"Is love supposed to feel this intoxicating?" ••• ⚠️TW: depictions of SA. Crude language. Violence. YANDERE ML! Read with care! ** means sex scenes •...
113K 3.7K 69
Arabella's and Hardin's story continues.... After almost three years of blissful marriage, and reigning as King and Queen, our star crossed lovers ca...
111K 4K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...
145 28 14
What if dreams really could come true? What if fairy tales could come true? And you will become their main character? Once a girl named Aislinn had a...