The Strength of Us

By sabbbycat

There's always been something missing in Stevie's life. She just doesn't know what or who it is. When Stevie'... More

Intro
Cast List
Chapter One - I Just Like To Piss You Off
Chapter Two - I Think You Have An Addiction
Chapter Three - It's Just Easier This Way
Chapter Four - Don't Compliment Her Too Much
Chapter Five - I'm Just Being Realistic
Chapter Six - Are Turtlenecks Back In Style Now?
Chapter Seven - Why Are You Smiling?
Chapter Eight - It Was Kind Of A Disaster
Chapter Nine - I Don't Want To Ruin This Vacation
Chapter Ten - It's Too Late For That
Chapter Eleven - You Are So Mean
Chapter Twelve - Are We In Junior High?
Chapter Thirteen - I Have Manners, You Know
Chapter Fifteen - I Like Being On Top
Chapter Sixteen - I Will Kick You Out If I Have To
Chapter Seventeen - This Better Be Worth It
Chapter Eighteen - You'll Have To Wait
Chapter Nineteen - Are You Lying To Me?
Chapter Twenty - It's Only Because I Like You
Chapter Twenty-One - I Tried To Be Nice Today
Chapter Twenty-Two - It's Not Old News To Me
Chapter Twenty-Three - You Are My Little Sister
Chapter Twenty-Four - She Deserves To Be Miserable
Chapter Twenty-Five - I'm Not A Complete Weirdo
Chapter Twenty-Six - I Always Cook To Impress
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Can I Borrow Your Girlfriend?
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Don't Sound So Happy
Chapter Twenty-Nine - That's A Lie If I Ever Heard One
Chapter Thirty - I Want One Thing From You
Chapter Thirty-One - You Should Have Clarified That
Chapter Thirty-Two - Optimistic People Often Live Longer
Outro

Chapter Fourteen - Please Tell Me I'm Dreaming

2.7K 130 134
By sabbbycat

Chapter Fourteen - "Please Tell Me I'm Dreaming"

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

The rest of the drive to Paradise Coffee is pretty awkward and quiet, and I can feel my skin start to crawl as we get closer to our destination. The heat is getting to me and I feel like I can't get enough oxygen.

Too many memories are flashing in and out of my mind as I continue to sit in the leather seats that may as well have my ass printed onto them.

Get me the hell out of here.

Travis pulled into the shopping center where Paradise is and parked, and as soon as he unlocked the doors I sprang out of the car. I sucked in a cold, deep breath of fresh air and closed my eyes for a couple seconds, clearing my mind temporarily.

"Couldn't wait to get out of the car?" I heard Travis say. I turned to look at him and he had a smirk on his lips. I just gave him a smug smile back.

We walked up to the door as he opened it for me, letting me in first.

"See? Manners," he remarked with a gloating tone.

"Hm," I hummed, looking around the place.

It's not too crowded surprisingly for a Saturday afternoon. So I went straight up to the counter and ordered a hot chocolate, since I literally just had coffee about an hour ago and I don't want to be bouncing off the walls when Travis is around me.

He ordered his fancy drink, then we walked to the area to sit down. We picked a table for two against the windows and I took a seat, crossing my legs and staring down at my drink in my hands.

I have no idea what to say since he is the one who asked me here, and he isn't saying anything either. To say this is the worst coffee outing I've been on would be an understatement.

Travis took in a deep breath and looked up at me, pursing his lips. Almost like he's in deep thought. I just stared back, trying to seem unfazed by his crystal gaze.

"So I need your help with something," he finally spoke up, his voice low.

"You said that," I retorted, and he rolled his eyes.

"It's something that's... really personal, and I'm asking you as a nice guy. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything like that. I'm genuinely asking you for some help," he said sincerely.

I don't want to believe any of it. Who knows if this is all a scheme or something?

But there's something about his voice wavering towards the end in the slightest bit that makes me believe him.

I sighed in annoyance. "You really think I want to help you? I dislike you, Travis. You know that," I crossed my arms, leaning back in my chair and narrowing my eyes at him.

He sighed heavily. "I know you do. But... you're the only person I can come to for this. I can't go to my friends and there's just no one else there for me. You're someone that I can talk to about this without having to worry about hearing a lie. I know you'll tell me the truth and I know you won't bullshit anything," he nodded his head along, looking down at the table.

I know he's right. As much as it sucks to admit that. But he has a good point.

I pursed my lips and kept staring at him. Thanks, Dad. Thanks for passing on your good-guy genes to me. If it weren't for that, I probably would have just slammed the front door in Travis' face as soon as I saw him.

"I'm listening," I finally said in a bored tone, glancing away from him.

He sighed again. "Well, you know, 'cause we have something that like, I can't say I have with anybody else," he said awkwardly. "Even though you hate me and I annoy the shit out of you, we still have something."

"Yeah, I get it," I muttered, shaking the nostalgic feeling away. "So what do you need help with?"

He hesitated, keeping his gaze on the table and pressing his lips into a fine line. About fifty thoughts went through my mind, trying to come up with something that he might say next.

"Travis, what the hell – just tell me," I sneered, fed up with him wasting my time. "You already asked me here so just say it. I'm not gonna walk away or anything."

"Alright," he spat, his bright blue gaze connecting with mine. Then he sucked in a deep breath and finally let it out. "I need you to help me break up with Laura."

My eyes widened as far as they could and I thought I heard him wrong. I gulped.

"You want me to what?" I asked in a tiny voice, hoping that he didn't just say what I think he said.

"I need you to help me break up with Laura," he repeated more slowly. He leaned back in his seat with a sigh and cocked his head, staring at me with his eyebrows raised like he's waiting for an answer.

I let out a breath that I was holding in and shook my head. "I-I don't know. That's a little too... weird. I don't want to be interfering with a relationship that I have no part in and I don't want to be the blame for anything." I kept shaking my head, but it still hasn't really hit me, what he said.

"But you wouldn't be interfering, that's the thing. I'm asking you for help," he leaned forward, folding his hands on the table.

"Wait," I put a hand up and shut my eyes for a second, trying to collect my thoughts. "Why? Why are you asking me this? And why do you want to break up with Laura? You guys are like, the power couple of the school."

"Yeah yeah," he mumbled with an eye roll. "She's a bitch. You definitely know it, and I know it. We're only together anymore because everyone expects us to be. We hardly talk and we never hang out. It's just a show."

"That's... really awful," I chuckled lightly. What a sad relationship that is.

"I know," he said blandly. "I'm just... I'm not good at this stuff. So I thought I'd ask for some help."

"Really? I thought you were pretty good at it. You know, when you-" I started to say with a sarcastic smirk.

"Alright, I get it. You don't need to go there," he cut me off with a glare. I shook my head with a bitter chuckle. "So will you?"

"Absolutely not," I denied instantly. He sighed angrily in return. "Dude, I'm not gonna get involved with something that has nothing to do with me. I don't know how to break up with people because I've never been the one to do it. Laura hates me and I know she'll come after me if she finds out I helped scheme your break up. I have way too much going on in my life right now to deal with your problems."

"You have too much going on?" He scoffed, making me narrow my eyes.

"Yes, I do," I said angrily, starting to list things off on my fingers. "I'm trying to get used to the fact that I'm like, kind of somewhat dating Oliver, because it's all new and I need it to work out because it's the one thing in my life right now that's keeping me sane. I'm dying with school because I work my ass off to get the grades that I do. And I'm trying to find out why the hell my dad has been hiding the fact that I have a sister."

The words finally stopped pouring out of me and I released a deep sigh at the end. He definitely doesn't need to know all of this, but it's too late now. I needed to vent and I finally did.

It felt good, but I feel like an idiot for opening up to Travis like that.

It makes me feel vulnerable and feeling like that around him takes me back to a place where I never want to be again.

His facial expression went from hard and confused, to soft and concerned. I haven't seen it like that in a long time. His eyebrows knitted together and his mouth parted.

"What? You... you have a sister?" He spoke quietly.

"Yeah, apparently," I breathed. I twiddled my thumbs and stayed quiet for a moment.

Don't open up to him. Don't you dare do this. Stop talking about it, end the conversation and ask to leave.

"I uh... I found some pictures of her and some cards from her that were addressed to my dad in his study. Actually, before you came over I was looking at some pictures and now I finally know what she looks like," I nodded my head.

"Wow," he sighed. "That's insane."

"I know. Not even just a sister – a twin," I emphasized. I played with the straw in my hot chocolate, twirling it between my thumb and index finger out of boredom and because some anxious feelings are bubbling inside me.

"Shit, I'm... I'm sorry. I don't know what to say," he ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't know why I'm even asking you to help me now. I feel like an ass."

"It's okay," I just brushed it off, hoping he'd let it go.

"No, I'm sorry. I had no idea you had so much going on. You definitely don't need to help me then, I-I'll figure it out on my own," he shook his head.

"Alright," I nodded with a light chuckle.

He's really stressing out about this – it's actually kind of entertaining because I hardly see him this way. He's always Mr. Cool; so laid-back and casual. Even though he's an asshole.

"Sorry I wasted your time today," he apologized.

"It's fine, just let it go," I insisted, raising my eyebrows. Then I think he finally got the hint because he shut his mouth and took a long sip from his cup.

I'm dying to talk about anything else. Something to change the subject and clear my thoughts of family issues. So a little something suddenly crosses my mind, and I figure I can bring it up.

"Can I ask you something?" I bit my lip, glancing up at him.

"Sure," he replied smoothly with a nod. Well, he certainly has his relaxed aura back.

"When I asked you about leaving me alone and you said something about me admitting what you wanted to hear... what did you mean?" I asked carefully, trying not to screw my words up.

This happened almost two months ago, but I'm hoping he remembers what I'm talking about. It's been wandering around in my mind ever since then and I've been so curious as to what he meant.

A small smile came to his face, then he took a sip of his coffee, keeping his eyes on me the entire time. He sat his cup back down on the table and paused for a moment. His lips are still curled into a small smile, and I have no idea what it means.

"I wanted you to say that you miss me," he said with such confidence.

I narrowed my eyes, doing so for about the hundredth time today. "And why the hell would I ever do that?" I retorted, crossing my arms.

"Because I know it's true," he shrugged casually. "Come on, admit it. You know we had some good times together."

"Yeah, sure, we did. But it's been over a year and everything is different now. I'm not gonna admit that because it's not true," I looked away from him with a scoff.

"Well, at least you admitted a little something," he said, and I heard the smirk in his voice. I didn't look back at him because I'm afraid if I do, I might say something I'll regret.

I don't miss Travis.

I don't miss him – but I do miss all the fun we had together and how well we worked. Until things came to an end. An awful, tragic end.

But it's all over now and I'm not going to look back on that because I have Oliver and there's nothing that makes me happier.

"It was different with you, Steve. It was so much different than how it is with Laura," he said in a soft voice. I felt a muscle in my jaw tick at the sound.

"Yeah, obviously. I'm not a psychotic bitch like her," I said sharply, still not looking at him. I started to focus in on a couple across the room from us who look like they're totally in love with each other.

"That's true. But not just that. It was like-"

"What are you trying to do?" I snapped. My head jerked to the front and I'm glaring at him now.

His forehead wrinkled in confusion and his eyes look a little sad. "What do you mean?" He frowned.

"Why are you talking like this and what are you doing? Are you trying to get me back in your life or something? Are you trying to make amends and end the war between us? That's not going to happen, Travis," I spat my words at him angrily.

"That's not what I'm trying to do," he tried to defend himself.

"What am I even doing here? Just break up with Laura yourself, you're a big boy. Do it on your own, you don't need me," I spoke quickly. I watched as he slightly winced at my words, but I couldn't stop the anger from spilling out. I was angry the moment I opened my front door and saw his face, and I'm still angry now.

He ruined my entire Saturday and I'm so over his antics.

He'll never change. I had a small bit of hope in me from when he wrecked everything between us a year ago that he'd change. That he'd grow into a mature, handsome, smart young man.

But that'll never happen. He is handsome, and that's about the only thing he has going for himself.

"You know what? Just take me home, please," I shook my head. "I'm so done with this."

"Alright," he said quietly. I threw my coat on and tossed my cup in the trash, storming out of the building and making my way to his car. I heard the lock click and I flung the door open, shutting it behind me. He got in silently, started the car up, and pulled away.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

"Thanks," he said when he pulled up in front of my house. It was the only word said from the time we left Paradise until right now.

"For what?" I muttered, staring at my feet and hesitating to get out of the car.

Why are you still in here? Just open the door and get out. You have no business being here anymore. Leave his ass and remember why you hate him so much.

"I don't know. Coming with me. For putting up with me for an hour or so. And reminding me why we never would have worked in the first place," he chuckled a little, trying to lighten the situation.

I breathed a laugh and nodded my head. "Yeah. You're welcome," I murmured. "I still hate you though."

"And I hate you right back," he smirked when I finally looked up at him. The crinkles around his eyes as he smirked made him look too tired. I almost felt bad. "See you at school."

"Hopefully not," I smiled smugly, opening the door and getting out. I gave him a nod as I shut the door and walked up to my walkway, going inside my warm, comfortable house.

"Hi honey, how was your date?" My dad's voice came from the kitchen and I started choking on my own spit at the word "date".

"Dad!" I screeched. I heard his laughter and made my way to where he's seated at the table, reading something in a folder.

"I'm just kidding, Steve. Don't have a heart attack," he smirked, peering at me over his glasses.

"Well, don't kid like that," I chuckled, shaking my head.

"What were you doing with that guy? I remember him, you know. I know what happened with you two and it wasn't good," he raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"Yeah, I know, Dad. It wasn't a big deal. He asked me do to him a favor but I said no because it's something that he can handle on his own. He's just an idiot," I muttered the last sentence.

"Alright. As long as you're not hanging around with him again," he said with a cautious tone.

"I'm not. I wouldn't, and I won't," I reassured him with a smile. "Besides, I have Oliver now so I don't need a stupid moron like Travis."

"True. I like Oli," he nodded.

I grinned widely from his comment and felt my cheeks warm up. Me too, Dad.

My phone started to buzz in my pocket, so I excused myself from the kitchen and wandered into the living room.

Alex's name and picture appeared on my screen, so I unlocked my phone and answered the call.

"Hi Lexi," I smiled.

"Please tell me I'm dreaming," he said in a strained voice, making me chuckle.

"Um, what?" I laughed.

"I did not just see you get out of Travis Woods' car. Tell me I'm wrong," he demanded.

He would be snooping. Such a nosy best friend I have.

"Oh, yeah. It's not a big deal, don't worry about it," I brushed it off.

"I'm going to worry about it. Stephanie Roberts, I swear on my life if you-"

"Alex! Stop, I'm not doing anything. We went out for coffee because he wanted me to help him break up with Laura but I'm not going to do it because I have no desire to help him. I hate him and nothing has changed," I explained. I heard him sigh on the other end.

"Fine," he finally said.

"Nothing's changed, I promise," I breathed with a sigh, rubbing my forehead with my other hand. As long as I keep telling myself that, I'll eventually believe it.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

A/N - Looks like the perfect couple is having trouble in paradise. Is Travis really going to break up with Laura or is he faking it to try and get on Stevie's good side? Tell me some things, I'm interested in what you think! And not to worry, Stoliver will be back in action in the next chapter. I promise! ;)

Thank you SO much for 900 reads! I can't believe it got that far like... we're so close to 1K I'll probably cry when/if it hits that many. Ugh thanks guys, love ya lots!

Dedicated to: xxJulietxx she loves Travis and I mean this chapter is full of Travis. She's pretty amazing and she loves High School Musical like me :)

Song: Blind by Ke$ha (fun fact: this is actually the song that first inspired me to write this story back when I was fourteen)

Photo: a nice steaming cup of coffee

xoxo, sabbbycat

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.1K 1.4K 41
C O M P L E T E D "Date me," he spins the whiskey around in the glass and fixes me with a smirk. I roll my eyes the moment the words roll off his ton...
57.9K 1.9K 21
Cassie's been through a lot. From getting adopted to an abusive alcoholic to now getting a new Step-mother named Karen and Step-brother, named Alex...
2.1K 194 25
Anaya and Avil, the two can't stand each other's presence. To her, Avil is the Satan himself and to him, she is the devil. The two have been enemies...
1.1K 92 34
"Where is he?" The question ran through my head at least a million times. "When is he coming home?" I hadn't seen my dad in months. He was my everyth...