Sweater Weather~BillDip fanfi...

By _Chibitalia_

Autumn, Fall, Harvest, whatever you want to call it. Leaves falling, pumpkin spice in the air, but most impor... More

All I am
Is a Man
In My Hands
I Hate the Beach
But I Stand
In California
Break
Kill your darlings
Wake your demons
Reveal
The past
Cecil
Operation sixth sense
Wrong Move
All I am
Is a man
I want the world
In my hand
I hate the beach
COVID CAN SUCK MY DIC-

I Want the World

12.6K 446 1K
By _Chibitalia_

"Well, I should get going. I promised to meet my family at the hotel and they'll probably think I'm dead if I don't show up." He laughed nervously, I don't blame him. This whole situation has been awkward, that and the joke was an odd one to make, that's for sure. 

"Right...well... Come back at any time." 

He smiled, "Trust me, I'll be back everyday-"

What? Why? Why would you want to come back everyday? There's no reason to...unless...

"I've traveled enough to know that hotel coffee is basically dirty water." 

He got up and grabbed his shoes. He looked at the shoes in his hands and back to me. 

"So I'll see you tomorrow."

"Right, tomorrow." 

He gave a small nod and headed out the door without putting his shoes on. Well that's weird, but I could come up with a million reasons why he didn't. He didn't want to sit down and get back up, his laces are tight and for the distance he was going it just wasn't worth it, or maybe... he didn't want to act a fool in front of me? 

That last reason is absolutely outrageous. 

"Rehpic? Hello~ anyone home?"

I came back from my imaginary scenarios and began to deal with reality. 

"Grenda, sorry, busy morning." I laughed and tried to play it off 

Candy giggled, "Oh yes. Very busy." 

"We've come to try your latest experiment!" Grenda shouts at me

Not so loud, it distracts my thought process. 

I have to come up with something, even if I have to make something up on the fly. Every day they come in willing to drink whatever monstrous liquid I pour in a cup. Usually that's something I think about before the morning rush, or even while I'm setting up. But as you could see today was a little different. 

"Oh don't worry, I have something extra special for you guys."

The girls giggled again and sat down at the piano. That's one thing I always enjoyed, hearing the piano. Candy was my favorite pianist, her music was always soft and light, she never hit the keys too hard. Grenda didn't know how to play the piano and she sure didn't sing. But she would always sit on the bench with Candy regardless of her abilities. 

Their relationship is one I always look forward to witnessing. They're as close as close can be, yet neither of them is ready to make a move, nor do I think one of them will ever make a move. They each want to act like they're interested in me, the "mysterious stranger who has found success and brought life to an almost forgotten town." I know neither of them are. They can "flirt" with me and pretend to be interested in what I have to say all they want, but I know the truth. 

While thinking about their bond I couldn't help but think of my own... I have tons of customers, regulars, and even favorites. But I struggle to think of a time where I've closed the shop for the day to "hang out" or when I've done anything with anyone for that matter. Maybe they're right, maybe I am just the mysterious stranger. 

I push aside my selfish thoughts and think about what to make them. Today has just been so out of the ordinary that my mind feels overwhelmed, hyperfixated, if you will. I think back to just a moment earlier and Mason's mention of him never having more than regular coffee. I smile to myself, almost chuckle. Caffeine addicted, sleep deprived, writer, who enjoys chocolate muffins.

I almost verbally gasp at my stroke of genius. Well I did swear to shake it up. I rush to the back and grab two chocolate muffins. I then quickly make two espresso shots. The second the espresso is done brewing I cut a hole in the top of each muffin and pour the shots in.  I stuff the bits of extracted muffin back into their original spots. I glance at my watch to take note of the time. 

I shift my gaze to the giant window by the piano, ignoring the girls. The sky looks heavy, I wonder if it will rain...

I wonder if Mason has made it to his hotel, or if he'll be caught in the rain.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and grabbed the muffins. I set them down on the table closest to the piano. 

"It's a little different from usual, let me know if it's any good."

The girls scramble to move from the piano to the table. They examine the treat before each taking a bite from their respective muffins. I won't do so much as to assume they're comfortable enough to share their food. 

I watch their eyes light up, as if I can see the caffeine shooting through their veins. Geez, it was only a shot. 

 "That is amazing! Candy likes!" 

"Holy... Rehpic you're some kind of genius! How'd you come up with this?" 

The girls practically inhaled their muffins. I really didn't think it'd be that good. 

"Well, just a stroke of inspiration I guess." 

"You should add it to the menu. Your coffee is exceptional and your pastries are very good as well, the perfect combination I think." Candy complemented while adjusting her glasses 

"You think? I don't know... What would I even call it?" 

"Why don't you just call it the 'coffee chocolate muffin'?"

"Well it's really espresso and you guys know me, I'll just get annoyed at the people who ask "what is it?" it's pretty self explanatory." 

"What about your inspiration? Why not name it after that?" Candy suggests 

Name it after Mason? No, that's too obsessive, if he comes back tomorrow and sees that on the menu I don't think he would ever come back. 

"I think I know what to call it. Thank you, you two. You make a great taste test duo." 

They each blushed and turned away from each other. It's almost frustrating that they don't realize how much they like each other. 

I think I need a moment to clear my head, I just can't seem to focus. 

"Guys, I'm just going to step out for a moment..." 

They encouraged me take as much time as I need. I trust them. That and the entirety of my storefront is two giant windows, so they can't hide anything from me. I step outside and take a deep breath. That pine tree smell, the best... I crouched on the pavement and hugged my knees. 

Why can't I stop thinking about him? 

I stared at my socks, black with yellow lining at the opening. The pavement around me started to speckle with dark gray spots. Ah, the rain. I looked up, letting my blond hair fall back. Ah, gravity. I closed my eyes and took a breath. The scent of the forest and the sound of the rain, I couldn't ask for a better natural relaxant.  

"Rehpic? What are you doing out here? In the rain no less! You're going to get soaked!" 

"Oh it's quite alright, I actually enjoy it." 

"You need to be careful, this town couldn't function if 'Koffee Kid?' had to shut down!" 

That made me feel warm, "You're right, I should take better care of myself, sorry Melody." 

She laughed and took off her shoes, "Besides, wet socks are no fun to walk around in!"

I smiled, "Yeah, that's a weird feeling..." I went upstairs and grabbed the towels and umbrellas to set out by the door. I handed one to Melody, "Did you jump in here to miss the rain?"

"No, actually I came to pick up some coffee!" 

"In that case, what can I make you?"

"Just 4 cups of your house blend." 

"4?"

"Yeah I know, first time I've picked up more than 2 in a long time!"

We laughed, "How is he? Your husband."

"He's well. Just as clumsy and loveable as ever." She swoons 

I set out the four to-go cups and poured the coffee in. 

"So why so many cups?"

"Soos has family in town!"

Family? In town?

"In town? I thought his family lived here?"

"Oh well, you know, chosen family. People you may not be related to by blood, but you're still family." 

I nodded, no Melody, I don't know what that's like. 

"I actually should've brought him here with me, I think he'd really like this place." 

Him?

"Ah, but he just got to the hotel from traveling, no need to drag him out right this minute. He'll be around for a while anyway." 

Him? Hotel? 

"Here." Again, my hands were shaking. Why does this keep happening to me? I placed the coffees in the holder.

I caught her as she was putting on her rain poncho, "Thanks!" She placed the money on the counter, grabbed the carrier, and slipped her shoes on.

"Melody-" she turned around, "I-uh... please... tell Mason I said hi." 

Her eyes widened, from shock or fear, I couldn't say. She stared at me for a moment, then smiled, 

"Sure thing." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218K 14.2K 77
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
705K 16.7K 73
"You and me always and forever." 9-1-1 Season 2+ Start- March 26 2023 Finish I do not own any 9-1-1 characters or their plots. I do own my character...
1.5M 48.1K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
592K 28.1K 53
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...