The Infection: Zombies Awaken...

By 10deadmask01

"It was Hell's kitchen. On the dirty checker floors, was blood. Red mush stained over almost the entire floor... More

Chapter 2 - The first sign
Chapter 3 - The first checkup I took alone
Chapter 4 - 4 years later
Chapter 5 - Unknown
Chapter 6 - Hidden Secrets
Chapter 7 - Daniels Journal: Escape
Chapter 8 - A Sinister look on his face
Chapter 9 - Always be brave
Chapter 10 - Risky Escape
Chapter 11 - In the Eyes of Sadness
Chapter 12 - Helping the Enemy
Chapter 13 - Prey Befriends the Predator (Part 1)
Chapter 14 - Prey befriends the Predator (Part 2)
Chapter 15 - Teaching the word: Friendship
Chapter 16 - Trusting another?
Chapter 17 - A sudden betrayal: The real foe
Chapter 18 - How friendship works
Chapter 19 - The 'sorry'
Chapter 20 - This Way
Chapter 21 - Goodbye Remember
Chapter 22 - Scarred Heart Tearing soul
Chapter 23 - Friends will always return
Chapter 24 - Responsibilities
Chapter 25 - Dangerous night
Chapter 26 - Guilt of the weak
Chapter 27 - The Chase
Chapter 28 - Goners
Chapter 29 - Saved by another...?
Chapter 30 - Believe
Chapter 31 - Acceptance
Chapter 32 - The Letter of happiness
Chapter 33 - A whole new escape
Chapter 34 - Not leaving you behind
Chapter 35 - You again...
Chapter 36 - Liar
Chapter 37 - Disguist
Chapter 38 - Spared for now
Chapter 39 - Captured
Chapter 40 - Tortured
Chapter 41 - Trapped, Forever
Chapter 42 - Expanding

Chapter 1 - The beginning

60.6K 1K 391
By 10deadmask01

Before you read on, I would like to take a moment to thank you for choosing my story to read. I hope you love it! And big thank you to everyone who helped me makes the story come true! And a special thanks to burninglilacs for proofreading/editing the story! ^-^ You know who you are! Well this story may or may not be the perfect story for you, I'm happy that you've at least taken a moment to start reading chapter 1. Hope you enjoy~!

(Ps. If you liked the chapter, plz do take a second or so to vote and comment :)

______________________________

Home. Home was where I belong, with mommy and daddy. Together, safe and sound-And happy.

But...that was until it began. The start of humanity's end: The zombies awakening.

I was only 8 that time. Why did I have to be so young- so hopeless, and most painfully of all, so useless.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~The beginning~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

At fist everything was a fuzzy blur. But soon, that blur came into the view of a familiar room; my...living room?

Now eyes fully open, I then see that it wasn't just my all-normal living room. It had been ambushed, cluttered with papers as if the wind had passed through. The back door is left wide open, where I could hear faint, screams outside the house, gunshots and explosions, along with scary moans and screams. What was happening? What was going on?

There I was, all curled up in my living room sofa. My. Entire body felt sore, from head to toe, as if I've just ran a mile.

My chest was heaving rapidly, sweat beading down my head. I was scared. I want mommy and daddy.

That's when I realize something. Where's mommy and daddy?

I panic. "M-M-MOMMY?" I cry out, "DADDY?"

A few minutes pass by, but there was no reply. Instead, I decided to search for them. Slowly crawling off the couch, once I was fully up, I hear another series of sounds.

Alarmed, I tried looking around the room. Where were the sounds coming from?

The noises continue, making my curiosity grow even more. It was a series of awful cracking, scratching and ripping noises. My eyes wander the room, and I soon realize that they were coming from the kitchen.

Trying to maintain my sanity, I took a deep breath, and begin to steadily make my way towards the kitchen. My loud pompous heart ached in my chest, with every step I take. And as I move, an unusual strain from the side of my head would pull me back.

I didn't know what I'd see, what would happen next. All I cared now, was finding mommy and daddy.

As I cautiously approach the door, the disturbing noises were louder now. Shivering, my whole body was standing, just a few inches from the door now. Though the door stayed almost closed, it left a small peak of light, pouring out.

Slowly, my fingers felt for the kitchen doorknob and turned it. Slowly, the door creaks open, revealing a small crack. Slowly my eyes poked through it, as I peered inside. And then, I came to realize what was happening right before my eyes.

Mommy was dead.

I was screaming in horror at the scene in front of me. It was Hell's kitchen. On the dirty checker floors, was blood. Red mush stained over almost the entire floor. And I see Mommy's body lying there motionless, surrounded by gross, rotten inhumane-like things. They were tearing her apart, eating her flesh, guts and any other remaining pieces of meat left with their long clawed fingers.

Yet, they still looked somewhat human though. They wear human clothing; they had two arms legs and a head; but no. For sure, they were no longer humans.

Slowly I started to back away.

It was them.

They were exactly the ones I remember seeing on T.V. with mommy and daddy.

Then it hits me; Daddy. Where's daddy?????

"D-DADDY?" I call out, looking around. Then I realized I shouldn't have.

But it was too late. The monsters turn, now staring my way, eyes lusted with hunger. They obviously heard my call. A shriveling gasp escapes my throat, and immediately I slam the kitchen door shut. Before you know it, I was running, as fast as my legs could carry me, as far away from those things. As far from where mommy's body lay, that was now a bloody corpse.

The moans and screams start to follow behind me. I dash to the living room door, only to have realized that it was strongly barricaded-from the inside.

I began knocking desperately on the hard firm glass wall, screaming, "HELP! HELP ME!!!"

That's when I can see shadowy figures appear on the floor, just below the heels of my feet. They were coming. I wheeled around to see them, at least 4 of those pale people, their bones and torn flesh sticking out, staggering towards me, with their arms outstretched, their fingers eager in grabbing more warm juicy flesh: Me.

I was forced to retreat the door way, looking for another way to get out of the house. Without thinking, I sprinted to an opening, which led me to our entrance room. As I sprinted through the empty hallway, the inhumane groans behind me soon disperse. And there in front of me, before my eyes, my way to the last hopes of escape-the front door.

Just a few meters ahead, was our front door--or what was left of it. Clearly the whole frame itself had busted off its hinges, the flat wooden stile lying flat on the floor.

But to me, I was picturing a sign which read 'exit NOW'. And without second thought I was headed towards it, avoiding stepping on both the door and pieces-no thousands of wooden pieces. Supposedly thousands of broken wood planks were clustered along the white marble floors, making it even difficult for me to pass through. How did this even happen anyway?!

What the front door barricaded before too?

However, just before I could answer, my foot suddenly slips on an unknown piece of wood. Down I went, landing over the pile of splinters, and getting some myself.

Instant pain shot from the rims of my feet. "Ow!" I clenched my teeth, slowly getting back up. My entire navy-blue nightgown was now dressed in shards of brown. But below the skirt, was even worse.

Just under my knee level, I see those same dry hard brown material pierced deep into my skin, leaving pimples which already started bleeding.

Tears begin forming in my eyes, but I had to hold it back. I reached a hand out in attempt to pluck them all off. Yet once my hand comes in contact with my own flesh, the pain becomes even more agonizing. Ignoring it, I managed to pluck a few out, at least until the same demotic voices were heard again. Uh oh.

Without having to turn back, I quickly (and unsteadily) rise continuing my mad dash towards the exit-in hopes of finding a safer place. And that wasn't even the start, of how wrong I was.

It was no longer that quiet, peaceful town I knew hours ago. Instead, what I saw before my eyes, was nothing but chaos. There were so many other houses in the neighborhood, which were just as disastrous as mines. Vehicles were left abandoned all over the road, enflamed with harsh blazing fires that rose up into the sky. Loud sirens and screaming filled the air; screaming from everyone.

There were people everywhere, men, women and children running wildly in all directions. Some even crashing and pushing through one another, fighting for escape, anywhere to the safe ends of town. On one side, I could see a family of four: two wailing kids running with their parents, as they are pulled along by hand. The mother is as worried as hell, the father in total panic, as he attempts to open their car. And on another side of the road, I spotted a woman in a green-ish summer dress kneeling on a sidewalk somewhat far from me. She was crying, covering her tearful eyes as she mourned over a man, lying in front of her. He was probably dead, seeing his clothes were tattered somewhat, stained in blood and scars. Another woman hurriedly runs up to her, desperately pulling her up to escape, as well--from those things.

As for the others...those things, has completely swarmed the entire town. Some were unfamiliar, yet some had familiar faces as my neighbors. They zone in on the living, like wolves. Hunting down the living; their screeches and moaning, filling the air, as they staggered towards the helpless victims, while some are already feasting off the unlucky humans. Even more painful screams come from the unfortunate ones, as they beg and weep for mercy. But, those inhumane monsters ignore their screams, and are focused in craving out the insides.

A sickening feeling comes from my stomach, as I witness the dying being bitten, ripped, clawed and chewed off to death.

Both people and those scary things were running all over the streets, like a game of predator and prey. Except this time, you truly do die if you're caught.

The fresh aroma of blood, mixed with gas, carbon and many other chemical scents filled the air. I coughed and gagged a bit. Covering my mouth, I fight to stay conscious.

My head was rotating rapidly, as I too, search for an escape. But, where do I run? Where is it safe? How do I escape this madness?

Even with the chaos happening from all around me, that's when I suddenly then hear a yell "FIRE!" And then came with an explosion from my far right.

I gasp, shielding my face as a huge rush of dust and dirt goes flying my way. Though just as I lower my arm, I then spotted kilometers away to where the where the neighborhood itself ended-was an even bigger battle.

A mini barricade (probably made out of sandbags or something), was built right across the road. And behind them, were soldiers, men with grey-colored uniforms. They wore tremendously huge and heavy gear & weapons, with protective gas masks which hid their faces. They too, were fighting off, against the undead, trying to shoot down the zombies, with everything they had. A few feet behind them, were even more huge trucks and armored vehicles. Some men were even positioned right in front of the protective, in the plain open roads, kneeling with huge missiles and RPGs in their hands. The tanks had their guns pointed straight at a large mob of ghouls which were quickly advancing towards their way.

Right then and there, I hear that same anonymous cry "FIRE!" And with that, another large bullet is fired from the tanks, flying straight at the infected beings.

This time, I didn't even bother shielding my face. As another gust of road dust fly by, I stand there, completely immobilized like an idiot, staring at the action.

Though they were more armed and planned then the inhumane beings, even I knew; they were outnumbered by those creatures. Soon after a while, they were backing up, unsure if they can hold off the infected population, or save the remaining human survivors-or even both. Most of the zombies were now drawn towards the soldiers, as they begin to drag their rotten corpses across the street. This gave the rest of the remaining survivors the chance to flee in many other directions to who-knows-where. Most that were running towards the military group have already crossed the border line safely, guaranteed a safe and happy escape of this nightmare.

I had to get there as well. I bit my lips, unsure. I couldn't, shouldn't leave so soon. What about mommy....and daddy...?

Right then and there, I hear that same noises and sounds of them come from behind me. I turned quickly, only to see yet another bunch of things running unsteadily towards me, about five or six of them. As they desperately thrash through the doorways, then I saw it. That's when I saw daddy: One of them was running, still unaware that daddy's decapitated head was still in their hands.

Another whimper is released, and instantly I feel to my knees. "N-n-no..." I croaked, with eyes wide in terror. I was paralyzed. I couldn't move. Daddy was dead, mommy was dead.....

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I close my swollen eyes, ready to breakdown sobbing. It was all over now.

Just a few more seconds, and--

All at once I hear then hear an explosion, this time being triggered right before my eyes. I screamed as the rush of another harsh breeze comes blowing towards my way, and ended up falling back-first flat onto the lawn. Quickly shielding my eyes, slowly I re-open them, only to see; a completely destroyed scenery of the house right before my eyes. Dirt and dust floated everywhere, along with pieces of blood and flesh splattered here and there. My stomach churned just by looking at it. At least those scary monsters were gone, now.

But what made me even more upset was the house; the one place where I've lived in all my life, where I've grown up in, with mommy and daddy. It was gone, destroyed.

Nothing but a heap of broken wood, brick and large broken furniture was left, along with the grunts and noises of those things that were left underneath it.

I yelped as a warm, human hand suddenly grabs my shoulder to pull me up. I wheeled around ready to fight back until realizing that it wasn't those things. It was human; not just any other person. It was one of daddy's dear friends, named Mr. (for now, only because I don't remember his last name).

His light green eyes stare down upon mines, some of his dark brown hair sticking out from his helmet. He too, wore the same grey camouflage uniform, though it had more detail and medals then the other soldiers.

"Land covered successfully," A soldier behind him unexpectedly confirms to another group of soldiers nearby, "Move, move, move!"

"Rima," Mr. leans down to face me, speaking. "Are you alright?"

To shaky to even speak, I nodded.

"Good. Come with me." Mr. declares, pulling my arm.

"W-wait!" I stopped, refusing to run. "We can't, c-cause mommy...and daddy, they're still in there...."

Mr. Scowled. At that moment, sorry looks were exchanged amongst him and the other soldiers.

"Rima." He urged, "We need to leave, now-"

"NO!!!" I yelled, tears already forming in my eyes. "I want mommy and daddy!"

At first he says nothing. However, that's when shoots me a disappointed look, and says, "Your parents are gone, Rima."

My eyes widen. "H-Huh...?"

"You saw them didn't you?" He asks.

"I-I-"

"And if you want to end up like them, then be my guest. Do you want to be devoured by those blood-thirsty corpses too?"

I sobbed just by hearing that. Even one of the soldiers himself was nervous. "S-Sir..."

"I'm sorry Rima," Mr. says. "But I can't let you die. Not today, not ever got it?"

Slowly he raises his hand once more, anticipating for me to take it. "Come with us, please Rima?"

I hesitated, unable to decide; but just being reminded of why happened to mommy and daddy left me with no choice. Not to mention the chaos that was happening all around us.

My small hand clamps onto the palm of his dry hands, and that that, we ran across the street. And I obeyed, not daring to look back.

As I ran alongside Mr., behind us were some other soldiers who follow as well.

But suddenly, just as we approach the end of the street, to where the' safe zone' was, I could still see the enraging battle ongoing. There were dead bodies here and there and the 'safe zone' itself, was collapsing. Soldiers and tanks continued annihilating hordes and hordes of those pale inhumane beings.

I clutched my hand upon my chest. Will we make it through?

At that moment, I could feel his grip hardening on my hand. "This way," He motioned, and with that led us towards the left, to another less crowded pathway.

I could see the fear and nervousness in his eyes. Still hear, and indirectly feel the continuous chaos far behind us.

We successfully rush out of the dark narrow side-walk safely. Lucky us, no-More like a miracle.

Just a few minutes ago, I was surrounded by the scary pale-faced people, unprotected, and ready to accept death myself. But now...

I yelped just as another huge blast sounds from the rocket launchers. Striving onward, I refused to turn around no matter what. Even though we were already past the barricaded group of positioned soldiers, we still kept on running. And I didn't dare ask why.

Then, I see it in the distance, was a fence. No a huge wired wall, where twice as many soldiers guarded; the border-line, which led fully to the outskirts of town. And almost every angle of the border-line was guarded, by at least 10 soldiers. Sweat poured down my head, as my feet started to become sore, but I ignored it. I continued running. I want to make it, to be safe.

Some of the soldiers following us had to turn around and attack. I'm guessing that's the last time I'll ever see them again.

The monsters now probably outnumbered the living. But luckily, there were soldiers, big armed men like Mr. that wore massive vests, and held large firearms. They stood just a few feet ahead of us now, guns aimed towards where the screams were coming from. Carefully they fire at the following bodies of zombies, using all the ammo, missiles and grenades/mines they had left. As I continued running with Mr., we finally made it to the fence, and headed towards a small sliding gate. Some soldiers spotted us, and immediately run down to open the doors.

Once we passed through, a few soldiers beside us quickly slid the door shut. Now being past the fence, I could see many more trucks and tanks parked before us, along with more guards at the ready for battle.

Mr. lead us to a small truck near the side, farthest from the fence.

"Go in first." Mr. yelled to me, over the all the screaming and gunshots. Without hesitation I threw myself into the trucks back, making sure not to block him when he enters.

"How much left?" he called to a nearby soldier.

"Not good sir," the soldier called back. "The zombies have the entire eastern grounds covered. No replies from squad 35 since 5 a.m. The fences and guards can hold'em off till 8, I presume."

"Ok, good! Which exits been cleared the most?"

"Southwest Sir!" He replies, "Best if you head through the east road to get there! Five tanks cover the eastern border-line, and we've sent out 4 tanks and 11 squad infiltrators in to back you up."

"Great. Good luck then." Mr. gives a thumbs up and entered the truck with me. Once the truck was turned on, once it was in motion, the ride was terribly wobbly.

A few minutes later the car turns, and we were headed east, along with a few other vehicles. I then turn to gaze at the distance, seeing the last of my hometown before it would disappear in the horizon. Tears begin to form I my eyes, just by thinking of them; of mommy and daddy, of leaving them.

Goodbye, mommy and daddy.

But hordes of soldiers were still back in the town, shooting any of the infected beings that got near the fence. Some zombies even attempt to climb over the border-line, only to get shoot down or step on a planted mine.

I continue to stare out the window for several hours. Eventually, I'd no longer saw my home. I no longer heard the moans, screams and fires. All I saw now was a long dessert, some small sand storms once in a while, and the other army trucks. Now sitting here, in the rusty trailer alongside Mr. and some other men, every bump made me jump. My teeth chattered. I was cold but it didn't matter. I was just glad that there were no more zombies here anymore. Suddenly, I felt a hand grab onto my arm and I shuddered.

"Rima, you're freezing," Mr. exclaimed. "And your feet, What happened?"

"H-Huh?" I gaze down to realize what he had meant. My entire knee and below, was swollen, turning purple-ish in color. I'd completely forgotten about the injury, of

Falling into the shards of wood. Even now, there some splinters remains, embedded onto the skin of my feet. No wonder all the stinging and pain stopped.

"Sergeant 26, are there any coats or jackets in this truck? And where is the first-aid kit stored?"

"Both are on in the bottom left trunk sir!" the driver replies, eyes still on the road.

Mr. takes out a coat and places it around my back.

"All better now?" he asked.

I nodded "Th-thank you, Mr."

"Don't thank me just yet," he says, taking out a pair of tweezers. "Once we get all those wood out you can thank me later."

I stare at the tweezers for a long while, as my stomach begins to churn nervously. "W-Will it hurt?"

Mr. hesitates. "I can't say it won't hurt either."

My feet subconsciously draw back, away from the deadly instrument.

"Don't worry." Mr. soothes, "I've done this many times before. I may not be a doctor, but hey--you don't that getting even more infected do you? Sometimes, it can lead to death."

A whimper escapes my throat, and I quickly stick both feet back out.

Mr. chuckled. "Good girl. I promise to try and make it as painless as possible. Just raise a hand if the pain becomes unbearable."

Unbearable. The word echoes in the back of my head. "W-What can I do to make it p-painless?"

"Try thinking of other stuff," He answers glibly. "Talk to me."

He then takes out a bowl, filled with a wet damp towel. "Put both your feet in here. We'll need to wash it first, before pulling those pieces out."

I obeyed. And for the next while, is spent watching Mr., as he gently cleanses both my feet.

Some of the soldiers were watching as well, while others just continue staring out the tiny slim widows, ignoring us.

"Is there anything else you need? " Mr. suddenly asks, "Are you thirsty? Hungry?"

I shook. Quickly glancing out once more, I then asked. "A-are they gone now?"

Mr. doesn't reply. Soon, I start to feel a small burning pain, as he begins plucking out the pieces of wood stuck in my legs. I fringed, When the larger shards are taken out. With each piece removed, it costs me to bear intense stinging.

"A-Are those things gone now?" I repeat, stubbornly. I had to know.

At that moment, he turns back with a comforting, reassuring smile on his face as he replied, "Yes, those zombies are gone know."

"Z-Zombies?" I said aloud. Only that one word seemed to catch my attention. That word: it sounded dangerous, sounded threatening. "W-What are 'zombies'?"

For a second there, he stops. Mr. seemed troubled by the question. Though he then simply answered, "Beings, things that were once human."

My eyes glistened. "O-Once human?"

So they were actual people. At least before...

"Yes." He nods, and with that, patted my head gently. "But don't worry, it'll be alright now. You're safe with us. Just a few more hours and we'll be there."

I nodded. Leaning my head upon the side, I gazed out the window once more.

So that's what they were called, zombies; they were simply beings, beings that were once human. I was going to remember that.

And just by thinking, has exhausted me dry. I began to feel tired, and slowly drifted into a deep sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 417 34
Ivy Breeze took the test once, and without knowing it she became part of the most powerful group of magic users ever. But, when she starts to receive...
256K 8.7K 35
[Yandere Barbie & Ken x F.reader] โ€ขโ…โ”€โ”€โ”€โœงโ…โœฆโ…โœงโ”€โ”€โ”€โ…โ€ข In a world where Barbie and Ken are living happily with the other Kens and...
5.8K 1K 71
SECOND BOOK OF THE CHRONICLES OF FANTASILIA SERIES ๐˜ˆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ถ๐˜ฆ. ๐˜ˆ ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ข๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜›๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ...
1.8M 97.1K 74
Swallow is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon purchase. When Mildr...