The Leap [✔]

By midnightpainter

Emma Taylor's summer wasn't filled with parties or beaches as she'd hoped. Instead life slams her into a dark... More

Authors Note
Cheat Sheet: The Taylor Household
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Changes
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty (Austin's POV)
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Glimpse 1: Move In Day
Glimpse 2: Wedding Bells
Glimpse #3: Surprises Come In Twos

Chapter Twenty-eight

13.6K 388 66
By midnightpainter

Chapter Twenty-eight

Andrea drops me off at my house, helping me inside. "You'll be alright," she says, rubbing my back. "If you need anything, just call."

"Thanks, you're the best," I say, flashing a small smile.

Andrea grins. "Don't I know it," she says, laughing. "I would stick around but Cassie just called pleading for me to help her. Who knows, maybe its Logan related."

"Let me know if it is," I say, waving to her as she leaves through the front door. I swivel around in the wheel chair, going into the kitchen and shrug off my jacket.

Its silent. On the counter, I see a handwritten note from my parents. Its written by my mom, saying she and my dad took Joey out to eat and would be back later this evening. I leave the note on the counter and wheel myself over to the living room.

Instead of turning the television on, I just sit and think.

Austin should have told me, a lot sooner than this. Carla is the last person I should have heard it from. My parents, or even one of my brothers could have said that Diane is the one who hit Tyler.

Behind me, I hear the door shut and the voices of Jude and Logan.

I ignore their presence, anger soaring in my veins.

"Emma, I thought you were at the school with Aidan and Ben?" Jude asks, coming to stand beside me. I ignore him, only glancing up to glare at him. Without answering my brother, I stare straight ahead.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" He laughs, sounding slightly amused that I'm ignoring him. When I still don't answer him, he comes to stand in front of me. I can feel his eyes scrutinizing access me, wondering if something is wrong. "Emma? Are you okay?"

I don't know. Am I?

"Do you know who ran over Tyler?" I ask, already knowing the answer. Jude's eyes widen, probably not expecting to be asked such a question. But I don't care, not when I feel like I've been lied to and left in the dark.

"You guys are ass holes, you know that right?" I hiss, shaking my head slowly with a disappointing smile.

"I could cut the tension with a knife," Logan says, obvious to the tension between us. He comes to stand next to Jude, who shoots him a look. "Are you guys about to dwindle into a World War 3? If so, at least let me get the camera first."

"Now's not the time," Jude says. "She knows."

She knows.

Logan sets his jaw. "What? How did you find out?"

Jude punches his arm and I blink.

Wow.

Unable to be in the presence of my brothers, I back away from them, heading into the kitchen.

I would go to my bedroom and slam the door, but since I can't fucking walk, my options are limited.

"Emma, wait-"

"You must be so fucking relieved, you must have been counting on this moment," I hiss, wheeling around to face my brothers. Logan crosses his arms, analyzing the situation.

"Would you move, I am not in the mood to deal with any of you ass holes," I say, pushing past him.

"Woah, fighting words there. What did you do now?" Daniel laughs from the sofa, getting up and stretching before walking over to see what the commotion is about. No one answers, just dead silence and tension in the room. This is the problem with having so many brothers. They gang up on you.

"Emma, talk to us," Logan says. "What's going on? Someone tell me what's going on."

I cross my arms, shaking my head in annoyance. It hurts to know that they knew Diane is the one who hit Tyler, and they, let alone anyone, did not tell me that she did, especially since I'm dating Austin.

It wouldn't have affected the way I saw him, or loved him, but the fact that he nor my brothers who vow to protect me choose not to, does hurt, therefore I am angered.

"Why don't you all just fuck off? I'm not in the mood to see any of your ugly faces," I snap, turning in the opposite direction. Instead of backing off, they follow me.

Daniel comes around blocks my way to the kitchen, and I let out a frustrated sigh. Jude comes up beside me, but I shrug away when he tries to touch my arm.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me, some brothers you are," I say and look at each of my brothers, turning behind me to make sure everyone saw my distain. They step back, their eyes widening yet they don't appear guilty.

"Did you count on this? Me finding out and then Austin and I wouldn't be together?" I ask, tears running down my cheeks. I force my way past my brothers into the kitchen.

"Emma, we didn't think you would find out-"Jude stops in mid sentence, trailing off when I narrow my eyes at him. Logan steps up, offering more excuses like there was never a good time to tell you, or we never guessed you were going to fall in love with Austin.

I slam down my fist on the counter, a headache forming.

"Shut up!" I snap. "Why couldn't you just tell me when you knew that I was going out with Austin? There is no reason you shouldn't have!"

"We wanted him to tell you himself!" Jude yells, his face turning red in anger and frustration. "Because if he really loved you he wouldn't let that come between you guys, even if you were upset, at least you would know!"

Daniel rubs his face."We didn't mean any harm Emma. We never wanted you to get hurt like this," he says, and I can hear the sincerity in his tone.

"You still should have said something," I mumble into my tear soaked hand. I'm suddenly enveloped in a tight brace. I sniff in the familiar pine cologne of Jude, and slowly I wrap my arms around him. Eventually, Daniel, Owen, Logan, and join in, and I let them comfort me.

"Don't worry, everything will be alright," Jude says softly. "If things are meant to be, they're meant to be."

I tell my parents I want the surgery.

What have I got to lose?

"Are you sure you want to do this?" my mom asks, a frown on her face. We sit at the kitchen table, both my parents sitting across from me. Its Monday, and I've considered the pros and cons of the surgery all weekend. "This isn't because you and Austin are arguing?"

I scrunch my face. "No, of course not!" I say. "How did you know we're fighting?"

My dad chuckles. "Aidan let us know," he says, then his eyes soften. "Emma, we never meant not to tell you Diana had been involved in the incident, it just never came out."

"What happened to Tyler was not Diana's fault," my mom says, standing up and walking over to me. "She was driving home from her shift at the hospital and Tyler ran right out in front of her, didn't bother looking. You can't blame Diana or Austin for Tyler's death Emma. No one is to blame."

I sigh, rubbing my face. "I know, I know," I say, a bit overwhelmed. "Its just I wish he would have told me."

My mom rubs my back. "Talk to him, he's a good boy."

I won't though, because I'm still upset with him.

"I'll go call the Dr. Graham, tell him that you've decided on having the surgery," she says, picking up her phone from the counter. She goes down the hall as my brothers Aidan and Quinn come through the front door, Joey tagging along with them.

My dad turns around in his seat. Joey jumps into his lap, giving him a bear hug.

"How was school boys? No trouble I hope," my dad says, eyeing Quinn in a knowing manner.

Quinn smiles, throwing his back pack onto the counter and reaching into the fridge. "Me? In trouble? No, never!"

"Boys, your sister has to tell you something," my dad says, focusing his attention on me. The boys snap their heads toward me, waiting for me to say something.

"I'm having a surgery that could repair my leg," I announce, watching their reactions.Joey's face twists up in sadness and hops off my dads lap. He barrels forward, wrapping his arms around me.

Quinn stands beside me, not uttering a word.

"Well, I'm sure you'll be fine," Aidan says, smiling. "Do you want me to tell Austin?" Austin doesn't know about the surgery. I was going to tell him, after the game but everything went down hill.

I shrug. "You can if you want," I say, wheeling away from the table, Joey still on my lap.

He frowns. "Are you and Austin fighting?" he asks, staring at me. "Because if you are, I never really liked him anyway."

I laugh. "You such a liar."

My mom comes out to the kitchen. "Dr. Graham is setting up a meeting with Dr. Shover, but the surgery will be before the new year. You'll need to go into the hospital before then to have testing done in the next few days."

"Okay, that sounds great," I say, nodding my head.

My mom focuses her attention on Joey. "Honey, why don't you tell Emma what you've decided."

Joey brightens, grinning. "Emma, you can have my room! Since, you know, you can't get up the stairs. And I'll have your room!"

I hug Joey, thanking him. "Did you come up with the idea all by yourself?"

My dad chuckles. "He needed a bit of convincing, but he agreed eventually."

Joey leaps off my lap, following my mom into the kitchen.

Jude and Owen come in the front door, followed by Daniel and to my surprise Bea. My mom wraps her in a hug, squeezing her tightly.

"Its so nice to see you! Come in, let me take your jacket," she says, taking Bea's jacket and hanging it up.

Beatrice comes and bends down to my level, smiling. "Emma, I'm so glad you're alright," she says and then lowers her voice to a whisper. "You have to tell me all about Austin!"

I fake a smile. Everyone wants to talk about Austin. "Yeah, absolutely," I say. "Its good to see you too."

"We should go shopping sometime," she offers. "Christmas is only a few weeks and I haven't bought anyone anything yet."

My mom groans behind her. "Don't remind me," she says, laughing. Beatrice and my mom start talking about the holidays, and the boys talk with dad.

"Hey, Emma," Jude says, walking into the front hall. "I got you something." He comes back, a pair of crutches in his hand, smiling.

I burst into laughter. "Where did you get those?"

He shrugs his shoulder. "I was talking to Mara. She says you've got to start walking out of physical therapy. Here try them out."

He offers me his hand, but I refuse to take it, shaking my head. "No, I can't," I say. "I'll fall." Jude rolls his eyes.

"Come on, I'm right here," he says, "I won't let you fall. Trust me."

Take a chance, Emma. "Okay," I say, offering my hand. Jude helps me up and I place the crutches under my arms, wobbling.

Jude doesn't let go as I slowly step ahead with my right leg, then sliding my left foot to match.

"Can we name them Harry and Dave?" Joey pipes up, referring to the crutches. Everyone laughs,  agreeing as they watch me take small steps.

"See? It wasn't so bad," Jude says, smiling. "You can do anything you put you mind to. Don't give up."

The simple and frustrating thought runs through my mind; will you give up on Austin?

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!

What do you think? Is Emma right to be upset at Austin?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 26.3K 66
When 18-year-old Emma Dawson was raped after her junior year in high school, her entire world fell apart. Especially when her egocentric father didn'...
21.3M 445K 24
WATTPAD ORIGINAL EDITION The Bro Code says to leave no bro behind... But what happens when you have to choose between love and friendship? ...
109K 4.8K 34
WATTYS 2023 & 2022 SHORTLIST | Stella Donahue is in dire need of a fresh start. A break. Away from the college town that's shunned her, away from th...
52 12 12
After recent high school graduate Lily agrees to dog-sit for her best friend Emma, she finds herself caught in a forbidden love with Emma's brother...