Weaving a Song

By Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... More

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 97

934 49 12
By Venari

March 4-5 3019 TA

As the Elves prepared to depart, the company that was to go to Isengard also readied to depart. "We are ready." Orophin said, shouldering his pack. Haldir did not grab his own.

"You will not return in this Age." He looked out across the plains.

"Haldir?"

Haldir stayed quiet. Why was he not to return? He could return now, without much thought. But then it dawned on him. The voice who had told him to turn. Galadriel's cryptic message. She was allowing him leave. She was telling him that if he survived, he was to go where fate decided. "I am not going." Haldir said quietly.

Orophin stared at him. "But why? We will be fighting our own battles soon enough!"

"Yes." Haldir agreed. "And it is best if you return swiftly so that all may rest before then."

"Haldir-."

Rúmil walked up to them. "What is going on?"

"He says he is not coming."

"What? Why not?"

Haldir glanced away once more before he met Rúmil's gaze. "You have been asking me what Galadriel said. I am not to return. She told me herself."

"Why ever not? Why should you stay? We have to fight our own war."

"I do not know yet. But such is what she told me." Haldir paused. "Do not argue with me. I will stay here. Take our people home. Leave me to my own devices."

Rúmil looked ready to argue. Orophin was studying him intently. "No, Rúmil, he is right." Rúmil looked at Orophin incredulously. Orophin still studied Haldir closely.

Rúmil looked between the two for a long moment before he sighed. "As you wish then." He stepped up to Haldir.

"I... Namárië." Rúmil looked like he wished to say more but instead he turned away. He paused in his steps and looked back at his brother. "Try to come home in one piece."

Haldir smiled and nodded. "Namárië."

Then he turned to Orophin. Orophin stepped closer to him. "Is this what Galadriel told you? You are sure?"

"Yes."

"This is not about her?"

Haldir looked at him, cocking his head. "What makes you say that?"

"If you are staying for her-."

"Then what?" Haldir sighed and bowed his head. "I do not know what it is about. Galadriel told me I would not return to Lórien in this Age."

Orophin's eyes searched his. "And if you die? What shall we do?"

Haldir shrugged. "Do as you will. You no longer need me as you once did. You are both wise and strong."

Orophin sighed and glanced at the company. Rúmil was waiting. "And if she dies?"

"I told you once. It does not matter now." Orophin frowned.

"You are sure? You never married."

"I don't need to be reminded." Haldir said through his teeth.

"I don't mean to offend you. I am only stating what I know. You may not die if she does unless you marry."

Haldir glanced away once more, looking out toward the plains. "No... If I do not die, then I shall fade. We are too much a part of each other now."

"So if you had died yesterday, would she?"

Haldir thought it over. "She is stronger than I." He said softly. He cocked his head. "Stop worrying for something that did not happen. If something does happen you shall be well able to take care of Rúmil. But there is nothing to say it will."

"Beyond a prophecy from a Vala?"

"One that said 'may' not 'will not'."

Orophin grit his teeth. "Just be as careful as you can."

Haldir nodded silently. Orophin put his hand on his shoulder. "We may not need you to take care of us, but we do not wish to be parted from you either." Orophin paused. "Guren nallatha nalú achenin le.*"

Haldir looked at him. "Garo lend vaer."

Haldir watched him turn and join the company. Legolas walked up to him. "Are you not leaving?"

"Galadriel told me not too." Haldir said softly. Legolas looked at him curiously and together they watched their brothers leave.

"Come, we are about to leave." Legolas said after they had left. Haldir followed him down the stairs and to where the rest of the company waited. Gandalf looked at him curiously but did not question why he was still there. Instead he looked at Théoden.

"Is there an extra horse that may be borrowed?"

Théoden motioned for someone to find one and a few minutes later, a grey horse was led out to him. Haldir smiled at the horse and whispered a few words to it. This time, they had already removed the tack off the horse, knowing Haldir would not use it. Haldir swung on top of the horse easily and waited.

Soon enough, they were off.

*

Orthanc rose high above the surrounding countryside and cast a dark shadow across the land. "It feels evil." Legolas said quietly.

Haldir said nothing, only looked on in silence. In fact, Legolas had been worrying over his state of silence, especially upon leaving the mass of Hurons. Legolas may have been born in Eryn Galen and had inherited a small portion of his own father's gift that allowed him to listen and speak to the trees, but Haldir was a wood-elf through and through. He was born with the ability to sense the trees and care for them. So why was he so silent? Surely he would have felt as much curiosity and longing as Legolas did?

Legolas sighed and grabbed Haldir's arm. Behind him Gimli looked on curiously but said nothing as to Legolas' reaction. "What has you so silent? You have not been like this in quite some time." Legolas spoke softly in their language, so that not even Aragorn would be able to interpret their conversation.

Haldir glanced at him, his eyes dark. They were not dark in sorrow or regret or even for separating from his brothers. It was something else. "Did coming that close scare you so much?" Legolas asked, concern now prominent in his eyes. "It has happened to all of us. I-."

"No." Haldir answered sighing. He glanced away, his eyes glazing slightly. "No... I am not sure. My spirit is-." Haldir cut off and cocked his head. "I do not think it is me."

Legolas stared at him for a minute and then it dawned on him. "Almiel?"

"Perhaps..." Haldir answered slowly, not wanting to alarm Legolas. "I suppose it must be, but it is not her weakening. Nor is she ill, I would know that better as would you. It is a strange feeling."

"How long have you felt this?"

"I don't... I was too distracted to focus on it until we began this journey, and that's when I felt it more. But I think I started feeling it last night, or she did."

"What do you mean?"

Haldir considered it. "Perhaps it was the battle. Maybe I am feeling what she feels everyday. The sorrow and fear in this world."

"Have you never felt that before?"

"Not like this." Haldir answered. "I felt traces of it but never did I share the feeling."

"Are you becoming yet closer?"

"Do your questions have no end?" Haldir asked.

Legolas turned his face away, looking ahead of them. Aragorn had glanced back at him curiously, but said nothing. Behind him Gimli shifted, probably feeling uncomfortable with the somber and concerned filled conversation that he could not interpret. "I ask them because I care for both of you, and I do not wish you to be so silent. It worries me."

Haldir looked slightly abashed. After all, Legolas had been quite generous to him several times, and Haldir had never really paid him back. Not that Legolas or Thranduil would have accepted anything he tried to give them. Both could have competed with any given Dwarf for stubbornness or any of their good days. On their bad days... Haldir had no doubt who would win.

"Goheno nin*... I am uncertain as to what is happening. Perhaps our fate is slowly becoming sealed, and so we grow closer."

Legolas looked back at him, and Haldir felt worse. There was more compassion in his eyes than Haldir had seen in a long time. No one in Lórien cared enough for him and his brothers to feel that way, and his brothers more often required his own compassion. Not that he minded, he would rather give than take. "You are sometimes too strong, and too independent." Legolas said quietly. "We all need other people sometimes, even people like my father. I doubt he would have survived this long without his family or, perhaps in the past, Ortherion. You may think your brothers cannot see you weak, else your position be compromised, but the times my parents and I have been the closest are when none of us can hardly drag ourselves out of bed. Or in my father's case, into bed. My sister sees everyone at their weakest, even if they look strong. It about kills Ada too. In this situation, I have as much to worry over as you. I do not know if my father can survive another death this close, and I am not ready for a crown of such weight. At least you would join her. I will have to wait until I know Mirkwood can survive without me."

Haldir's cheeks burned and Gimli stared. He did not know Elves could blush. He had no idea what they were talking about, but from the looks of it, it seemed Legolas had called Haldir out on something. I wonder if it is about the girl.

"Legolas-."

"Your fate is not sealed." Legolas said firmly. "The Vala was clear. Her fate is hers alone to decide. Not yours, and not mine. And it might kill him, but its not my father's either. So stop bringing such onto yourself."

"Perhaps it is not my choice, but whatever she decides will be my fate as well." Haldir said quietly. "She thinks otherwise, I know. But how could I survive such a thing?"

"You do not know your own strength."

"But I do know this. Not many are like your father. Not many stay when their bondmate leaves, not even your grandparents. Who's to say I shall be any different?"

"He is your father as well." Legolas said. "If not for what happened before, then for the simple fact that he now considers you his son. You shall be a prince if we survive this."

Haldir's eyes widened and he looked as if he had not considered that before. "A prince?"

Legolas smiled and looked at Haldir mischievously which made Gimli's eyebrows rise. "Yes indeed. Almiel is a princess, no?"

"I-." Before Haldir could say anything they found they had entered Orthanc and had spotted two dozing halflings seated before them.

"Welcome, my lords, to Isengard!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 907 24
Sequel to Celebrimbor's Daughter and Thranduil's Son 70 years later I am Vilya, daughter of Celebrimbor and wife of Legolas Greenleaf, son of Thrandu...
165K 6.2K 52
People say that death is not the end. For Evelyn, it's not. After battling cancer for almost four years, death is something that this nineteen year o...
77.4K 2.1K 34
[Highest Rank: 4 in Legolas] When the old wounds get open once more, when the darkness poisons her soul, when all hope fades away, can Nestarel Umari...
34.1K 741 26
Awarthrie was the only child of Kili and Tauriel, raised by Glóin. She hates the shinny pointy eared tree-hugging bastards. The apparent enmity betwe...