Ranger [ON HOLD]

By T-Arth

-- Highest Rank: #35 in Paranormal -- "Have you ever felt like a story seems to just suck you in? Like yo... More

Copyright Warning
Prologue
Chapter One - Stereotypes and Gunpowder
Chapter Two - Vortex of Words
Chapter Three - Landing Storm
Chapter Four - Fractures and Bruises
Chapter Five - Heart Monitors Suck
Chapter Six - Book Logic
Chapter Seven - Bruises
Chapter Eight - The Ghoul
Chapter Nine - Mirror Reveal
Chapter Ten - Vision of Death
Chapter Eleven - ibuprofen and Politicians
Chapter Thirteen - Strange Deeds
Chapter Fourteen - Von
Chapter Fifteen - Homestead
Chapter Sixteen - Teenage Bookworm Desires
Chapter Seventeen - Wide Awake
Chapter Eighteen - Better Left Unsaid
Chapter Nineteen - A Familiar Face
Chapter Twenty - A Shocking Development
Chapter Twenty-one - Who is She?
Chapter Twenty-two - This is Real
Chapter Twenty-three - How and Why
Chapter Twenty-four - Take Care
Chapter Twenty-five - Chin Up
Chapter Twenty-six - Not My Forte

Chapter Twelve - Sendra

1.4K 126 9
By T-Arth

Ethan's fingers tapped lightly against the steering wheel to a beat I hadn't heard before. His lips mouthed words I couldn't quite make out, and aside from these few things the cab of the truck was absolutely quiet.

I looked at him for a few moments longer before turning away to gaze out the window once more.

We had stopped ten minutes ago at an old shack, nestled deep in the woods. And for the life of me I couldn't understand why. Though I thought I'd been pretty far into the book, I was proven wrong. The person they were visiting was someone they'd met before, or at least that is what Ethan had said when I had asked. 

Ranger had gone in on his own, paying no mind to the fact that the entire building looked ready to fall apart if a strong gust of wind were to hit it. By firm demand Ethan had stayed with me, and I had been relocated to the front seat for both comfort and the fact that Ethan could reach me physically should anything happen.

Knowing this only served to make me more nervous about the situation.

"You're bouncing your leg... doesn't that hurt?" 

I looked up to meet Ethan's gaze. His eyes were focused on me, a pointed look to his features I couldn't quite place in the moment.

"Huh?"

"Your leg. You're moving the cab." This time, his voice held just the slightest hint of a laugh, which was poorly hidden behind a small smile. 

Immediately my leg stopped moving - and thankfully it wasn't the one with the brace. That would hurt. And it already hurt enough as it was, what with the original injury, and seeming to repeatedly fall on it was not aiding the already stunted healing process. 

I muttered out a small apology, glancing toward the shack once more.

"Who is even in there?" I didn't expect my question to be answered of course. I was finding it harder to learn things while inside the book than when I was reading it in a loud cafeteria. Yet to my surprise, Ethan hesitated, seeming to debate answering my question.

"This is... a place for bargains." He began, eyebrows drawing together. "We come here when we need things. Usually things your normal grocery outlet wouldn't be able to get."

I leaned back in the seat, pulling my gaze away from him and back toward the shack. It didn't look too impressive. In fact it barely looked large enough to fit a mid-sized car on the best of days. 

"So... why all of the precautions?" 

"This person isn't exactly stable. For everything you get from her, she gets to ask a favor. Doesn't matter when. She'll show up at your doorstep years later if it works for her..." From the tone of his voice and the heavy frown I could tell he had personal experience with this woman. 

Though now I was bursting with questions, I decided to accept what he had told me and leave it at that.

"Darn, so you're sure you're not here to see little ol' me?"  

He remained as stoic as ever, offering only the slight roll of his eyes. 

"I'm here to see you. Obviously. I need something. Something for protection." He was starting to grow irritated, if his voice was anything to go by on its own. For the last eight and a half minutes (and oh yes, he had been counting alright) they had been standing in the tiny single room structure exchanging witty banter. 

And she still wanted to drag it out.

"Sendra... " His voice came out as a warning before he turned around, catching a glimpse of familiar tanned skin as the woman in question hopped away on the balls of her feet, dancing around the tiny pit of embers in the center of the room. A bright, almost airy smile played on her lips. Though he knew she was everything but bright and airy.

Those distinctive brown strips of cloth bounced as she came to a halt, hands on her hips as she skimmed over the crates lined up against the far wall. And for a moment she seemed to just stand there, before almost tossing herself toward one crate in particular and shoving her hands inside. Water sloshed out, dampening her skirts immediately and soaking the floor thoroughly. She didn't seem to mind; completely focused on finding what she was looking for.

She usually had what he would need hanging around, rather than in one of those mysterious crates. So he was a little more curious about what she would scrape up for him. Around him, various object for her craft hung from the walls. Usually she just had to pluck something straight off the wall and he would be on his way.

He stood by the front door now, doing his best to not to touch anything in the old shack as he watched the woman murmur to herself in a language he couldn't understand. 

The floor was bare, apart from a large pit in the ground, various crates and jars lined up along the walls, and a rickety bed in the far corner. The place was absolutely crammed full with more junk than anyone sane could tolerate. He could swear there was a bicycle wheel in the corner behind a jar of...

He had to fight the urge to move his hands in front of his stomach.

Herbs hung from the thin beams supporting the roof, separated just enough to not touch but close enough to utilize all of the space that could be offered. The walls were absolutely covered in pelts. Everything from squirrels, to bears, to alligator and frog skins were pinned up and spread out. It might have been impressive if she had bothered to scrub the blood stains away from what was left of the floor.

"Aha! There we are."

Sendra whirled around, skirt flaring as she easily hopped over the lightly flickering fireplace without a care. The only object of light in the stuffy space was dimmed for a moment, before it rose back up again and cast a glow upon those familiar nearly black-brown eyes. 

In her hands, a tiny round pot. A wide cork had been shoved into the top and firmly sealed with wax. The ceramic work was painted a dark murky grey, with a small symbol pained with minuscule detail over the rounded center. He squinted, able to only just make it out in the lighting as she placed it in his palm.

An Algiz rune. 

"This," her voice was proud, but bore a vague hint of a warning."beautiful little thing should help her stay hidden from... well, everything to a mid level creature. Ghosts, Ghouls, Vampires of low rank, you get it. Just carry it around in a pocket or something. It works better within a range of six feet." 

She turned away, head tilted upward as she skimmed a hand along one of the vines cascading from her ceiling. For a moment, she seemed to be considering something before her fingers took a small portion for closer inspection. With a small nod she plucked off the thin length of vine, looping it, and tying it twice until it could be comfortably fit onto a wrist. She placed it in his hand as well, patting her hips as though her skirt bore pockets she couldn't find.

"Have her put that on. Detection spells wont be able to find her - probably." She mumbled something else, turning to gaze at the wall full of pelts.

"Shoot. I'm all out of lemur... But I think that should be enough anyway." She shrugged her shoulders as he pocketed the small palm sized jar. Though it was still somewhat damp. He turned the odd makeshift bracelet between his fingers for a moment, thoughtful. He hadn't asked the important question. And considering Sendra was nomadic, he wouldn't have another chance for a while. At least until she called on him for a favor.

"Come on, I know you didn't come here just to buy things for the Missy in the car. I saw her aura."  Sendra scolded lightly, almost as though reading his mind though he knew that was not one of her abilities. She gave him a pointed look, folding her arms over her chest before continuing.

"Her aura is... different from anything I've seen. Normal humans are there. A simple beige. But hers is almost white.

She caught the small narrowing to his eyes, and though she could probably hand him his ass on a silver platter at the moment, she still rushed her next words.

"I mean she's still a human. I think. Maybe she's slow?"  Her attempt at a joke was ignored blatantly as he turned  to leave, barely tossing a wave over his shoulder before the flimsy door was pulled shut once more.

"Fine then. Ass."

x-x-x

Enter: Sendra! Now what in the world do you think this lovely woman is? I think we all know she isn't human.

Comment your thoughts, and vote for more chapters!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

496K 17.3K 18
One snowy night Eva ventures outside upon hearing a loud crash and comes face to face with a creature of the dark. She feels her heart skip a beat an...
149K 7.1K 34
Highest ranking: #7 in Lucifer #4 in God #11 in Paranormal --- Cover made by me. --- Looking for a person to be my cover designer for my books. Pri...
212K 11.3K 44
Even those who are believed to be lost can find their path changed by fate. . . Highest rankings: #1 in werewolf #1 in paranormal romance #80 in Rom...
359K 43.4K 80
Undergoing some changes. (Unedited as of now) A love story that found heaven right in middle of hell.. [Highest Rank #1 in Paranormal on 30th Novemb...