Being The Player's Neighbour

由 avanigalande

I watched his full lips turn up into a smirk and in that moment my heart stopped beating, my mind stopped thi... 更多

Chapter 1 - The First Encounter
Chapter 2 - I'm Not Really A Coldhearted Jerk
Chapter 3 - Moment Of Weakness
Chapter 4 - But I Don't Want To Look 'Fab'!
Chapter 5 - Why Do You Turn Up Everywhere I Go?
Chapter 6 - Beat Him At His Own Game
Chapter 7 - Payback's A Bitch
Chapter 8 - No Scowling, No Smirking. Just Smile
Chapter 10 - Zeus' Bolt Super-Glued To My Fingers
Chapter 11 - The First Date
Chapter 12 - The Mindless, Irresponsible Decision
Chapter 13 - Battle Of Morality
Chapter 14 - You Had Me At The Punch
Chapter 15 - Suspicious Roses And COD
Chapter 16 - Never Too Early For Love
Chapter 17 - Meeting The Friends...And The Enemies.
Chapter 18 [Part 1] - Penguin And Gunny Bag
Chapter 18 [Part 2] - Prom Does Wonders For Manners
Chapter 19 - All Grown Up Now
Chapter 20 - Soapy Math And Salty Tears
Chapter 21 - Life Isn't A Movie
Chapter 22 - Moving On
Chapter 23 - That's Some Serious Poetic Shit
Epilogue
The Last Words - Author's Note
Questions & Answers? o.o
Q & A
2019 Update

Chapter 9 - Jealousy, Ice Cream And Godzilla's Pink Tutu

668K 16.5K 12K
由 avanigalande

I'm walking on sunshine
Wooooaah
I'm walking on sunshine

The super chirpy song rang in my ears and I had to force myself not to just pick up that damned alarm clock and throw it across the room.

Wait, what? My alarm didn't play songs like that!

My eyes flew open and the culprit was revealed. Shanaya was holding her iPod to my ears, with a satisfied grin on her face. She gave a wicked laugh and said, "Rise and shine, sleeping beauty."

I groaned and checked my phone to see what time it was. "Why would you do that? It's six am...on a Saturday!"

She just shrugged and spoke nonchalantly as if she had done nothing wrong. "I wasn't getting any sleep and you were the only entertainment around."

I had such weird people as family! First my mom with her ice cubes, and now my sister who wanted to make me go deaf simply out of lack of better things to do.

"TVs, computers, phones, music...everything's been created only for entertainment, you know. Why can't you stick to all that instead of giving my poor ears a heart attack early in the morning?"

"Your ears don't have a heart and also watching you annoyed is like being with the Kardashians...so much drama!"

She flashed me an excited smile which made me even whinier. I really hate watching others happy when they are making me utterly miserable.
"Please let me go back to sleep?" I mumbled into my soft pillow.

But my early-morning protest was a lost cause anyway, because even after Shanaya left, I wasn't able to go back to sleep.
Don't you just hate it when you're trying so hard to sleep, but your mind simply won't stop thinking?
Well, I didn't like the over thinking that I did when I lay awake either, since my vacant mind would start thinking about unnecessary things. Like right now, for example, I was thinking about Aaron and the Facebook conversation. I'd been twisting and turning the thought around in my head all week and the more I thought about it, the more I felt sure that I had gotten through to him and finally seen past his 'tough badass' act. Who would have thought someone like him could be-

"Wake up, lazy bones!"

Not again. Why hadn't some genius scientist discovered soundproof food?
I could just shove that down my mom and Shanaya's throats and sleep in peace for the rest of eternity.

"I know you're awake and ignoring me isn't going to make me go away."

Damn. There goes plan B.

Wait. Last time it was ice cubes....oh crap!

I shifted positions, from 'snuggled under the covers' to 'standing on the floor', faster than a ninja and started screaming with my hands behind my head.
"I'm up! I'm up! Please don't use a blowtorch on me or anything!"

"Oh don't be so dramatic. I was just going to sing melodiously into your ears until you decided to wake up."

"Definitely loving the blowtorch idea."

My mother grinned at me and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her early morning hyper activeness.
"I'll leave you to whatever it is you sluggish teenagers do in the morning. I just came to ask if you could go and give Valencia the fresh cookies I baked today. I won't have time to give them to her myself since I have to get ready. Val and I are hanging out today. Catch a movie or something."

"You want me to give cookies to our neighbour, Valencia Miller?" I repeated, just to make sure I wasn't making up the whole thing in my head.

"Yes. And don't you dare say you are too busy because I know for a fact that all you are going to do is sit around in your pajamas and read books all day. I won't have-

I cut her off mid sentence since I wasn't in the mood for a lecture on how my generation was 'spoilt and lethargic' and how technology was ruining our lives.
"I'll go first thing after breakfast, okay? Just don't use phrases like 'hanging out'. You sound like a giggly teenager in high school."

Dear universe, stop trying to find excuses to torture me! I really didn't want to go to that house with cookies like a stupid girl scout.

~*~

Please don't let Aaron open the door. Please don't let Aaron open the door. Please don't let-

"Hi."

A sense of relief flooded through me when I heard the distinctly feminine voice. I looked up to see a girl my age smiling warmly at me.
What was I thinking? This was even worse than the devil opening that door himself. I bet she was Aaron's girlfriend. I mean, she sure looked pretty enough to fit the part, with her long blonde hair, slender figure and mischievous, grey eyes.

I looked like a tramp from the streets in comparison. How could an ordinary nerd like me ever get any attention when there were airbrushed models like her?
It made perfect sense for the hot bad boy to pick this gorgeous girl.

What the freaking hell?

Did I just call him the hot bad boy?
Why was I competing for attention in the first place?

Was I...jealous?

No. I was just thinking about social status and guys' logic. That's it.

"Hey, I'm Avery. Is Mrs. Miller home? I...uh...need to give her some...cookies...?"

Bravo! Way to go, Avery. She must already think you're such a weirdo. Now stop talking to yourself and do something besides behaving like an imbecile.

"Hi Avery, come in. I'm Lara by the way." I still hadn't returned her smile, but she didn't seem too bothered by that.

"Oh. Do you live here?"

And the award for the most obvious and dumb questions in a conversation goes to...Avery Gradson!

"Nah. I live in Chicago, but Aaron had been begging me to visit since forever. I missed everyone, especially him, so finally when I graduated from school I decided to spend the rest of the year here, in New Jersey."

I couldn't stop the slight disappointment that hit me on hearing how fondly she spoke of him.

That was plain, simple disappointment. Right?

Okay, that's it. I couldn't keep speculating and assuming things. I should just get it over with, like ripping off a band aid in one go. I would deal later, with the disappointment that was bound to follow.
"Cool. So how long have you and Aaron been together?"

I had never seen a person fall off a chair laughing. Sure, everyone says 'I laughed so hard, I almost fell out of my chair' but someone actually falling off a chair due to laughter was a whole new experience for me.

Lara was currently writhing on the floor clutching her stomach and I was standing nearby, freaking out because I was convinced she was having a seizure and that I was responsible for it.

"Did you seriously think that Aaron and I were like...dating?"

I nodded in reply and seeing the embarrassment and confusion on my face, she finally controlled her cackling.
"We're cousins! Besides, if I liked someone, it sure as hell wouldn't be a doofus like Aaron."

That got me laughing too.
We were both exchanging introductions when a woman who looked to be in her late forties walked in. I presumed it was Valencia miller, Aaron's mother, but her dressing style didn't exactly fit the 'mom' persona. She was wearing black skinny jeans and a red layered top.

She seemed to recognize me instantly, even though I had never really met her before.
"Hi, Avery. What a nice surprise."

"Hi Mrs. Miller, my mother said to give you these." I smiled and handed her the cookies.

"Thank you and please call me Val cause Mrs. Miller makes me feel like a wrinkled, old granny."

"Yes. God forbid, you actually decide to look your age!" Lara deadpanned with a wink at her aunt.

I got up to leave since I didn't want to be like an awkward third wheel.
"So...I should probably go now. It was nice meeting you both."

Val looked at me thoughtfully for a second before saying. "Or you could spend the day with Lara. Give her company while I'm gone."

"Oooh! That would be so awesome! Please please pleeeease say yes, Avery...?" Lara squealed.

It sure would be fun to spend a day with someone my age rather than alone, cooped up in my room. And even though I barely knew her, Lara seemed like a nice girl.
"Sure. I don't mind."

Val clapped her hands and looked outside the window, to see my mom waiting in her car.
"That's great. Even Jane is here. Now we can enjoy our day out, without having to get worried about you girls getting bored. Have fun and we'll see you in the evening."

"So what do you wanna do?" Lara asked me as she sank into the couch and inspected her nails.

I was about to answer the question, when I felt his stare. I knew it by the way my skin prickled and tingled.

"Good morning, ladies"

I turned around to see the one person I'd been dreading running into, leaning against the kitchen door. He had said good morning to both of us, but his eyes had never left mine.

"What's on the breakfast menu today? One goody-two-shoes salad with extra sarcasm dressing?"

Was I supposed to take that in a good way or bad? And why was he so annoyed to see me? I thought we had sort of...become friends. But if he wanted it this way, so be it.
"I'm sorry! One cranky jerk face the side of rude badass is our Saturday special."

Lara looked at Aaron, then at me and then back at him again. "Both of you need to shut up. I can't spend a whole day with two bickering idiots."

"What? No one mentioned spending the day with him!" I pointed at Aaron accusingly. "It was supposed to be you and me, only the two of us!"

Surprisingly, Aaron was quiet. I expected him to put up a fight or at least complain a little but he simply shrugged and looked on as I tried to talk Lara out of this new arrangement that she thought was totally going to be, I quote 'awesomer than fudgeballs'. She obviously got her way since it was two against one.

What the hell was going on with Aaron? First, he seemed annoyed to see me and now he was perfectly fine with me being around for the whole day. I swear he was more confusing than learning trigonometry!

~*~

"C'mon you can do this. Just don't think too much about it."

"But I...What if I fall? That's going to be waay too embarrassing. I can't do this!"

Aaron was trying to teach Lara and me how to skateboard and Lara had picked it up pretty quickly. I, on the other hand, hadn't been so lucky.
After various failed attempts and funny looks thrown my way by passersby, I had completely given up.

Aaron was still trying to convince me that skateboarding wasn't as scary and deadly as I thought it to be.
"Don't worry. You're not gonna fall. And even if you do-"

"He'll be there to catch you!" Lara finished Aaron's sentence with a grin.

I was about to laugh and point out to Lara that Aaron would rather call himself a loser than help me in anyway, but I stopped short when I noticed the flash of confusion in his eyes. It looked as if he was in two minds about something.

Before I could question him though, he smiled and said, "Trust me. I'll never let you fall."

I tried to keep my expression neutral as my heart did a little somersault. I knew he only meant it in the skateboarding context, but I still couldn't stop the warmth that spread through me at his words.

When had the sarcastic, realistic me turned into such a Meg Cabot protagonist?

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and gave a small nod.
"Let's do this."

~*~

"So what exactly is the deal with you and Aaron?" Lara was staring at me as if she knew something I didn't.

I looked towards the ramp where Aaron was doing a flip. He stood out from all the others there. His grace was unmatched and he made skateboarding look so easy and effortless.
Or maybe I was just partial to the way he looked today, with his tousled dark hair and fitting grey t-shirt over black jeans.

"Uh...nothing, really. We've just spoken a few times. I guess you could call us friends." I shrugged as I thought back to the few conversations we'd shared.

"Really? He talks more about you than a normal "friend" would."
She made air quotes on friend and yet again, that stupid warm glow spread through me.

It wasn't long before Aaron came and sat down beside me. His arm was a few inches away from mine but the tension between us had multiplied exponentially.
I picked up his graffiti-covered skateboard, just for the sake of keeping my hands occupied. It was covered in black and white patterns, with the letter 'A' painted in red. There were flames around it, making it look like the 'A' was on fire.
It looked amazing.

Just like its owner.

The unhelpful, irrational voice in my head added.

My inspection of the skateboard was brought to a halt when Aaron cleared his throat. "Avery, do you want some too?"

He said my name!
My heart was doing a little happy dance at how it sounded coming from him.
Unfortunately, my dancing heart had thrown my brain off focus, so I couldn't understand exactly what he had asked. This resulted in me responding with an oh-so-intelligent "Huh?"

"Can I buy you some ice cream?"

I just nodded since I couldn't trust my tongue to hide how surprised I was at his question. It was just a simple sentence, but it felt like a first step to something bigger.

Yeah. A first step to stupidity!

Okay. I take my words back. Maybe that little voice was more sensible than me.

We started walking towards the ice booth. "What about Lara?"

Aaron shrugged and looked back at Lara. "She said she doesn't wanna eat."

"Oh. Why are you suddenly being so nice to me? Or rather, why are you being not rude?"

The question had been bothering me for the whole week. Apart from the 'breakfast menu' remark this morning, he hadn't said anything to annoy or hurt me and that was really weird, considering it is the most arrogant jerk in school that we are talking about.

"I don't know. I just don't feel the need to honour you with my precious rudeness anymore, now that we're friends."

I shot him a disbelieving look. "Either that, or this is some game changing trick that you've come up with. Cause you don't seem like the kind to back down."

He put a hand to his heart and feigned an expression of pain and hurt. "I'm wounded by your assumption! I wouldn't use any tricks on you." We had reached the ice cream place by now, so he asked me, "What flavour?"

I picked my favourite and told the vendour, "Cookies and cream. Can you please make that a double scoop?"
Aaron ordered the same flavour, except he didn't ask for the double scoop.

As I took my first bite and reveled in the heavenly state, he just kept looking at me and smiling.

"What?" I asked him.
More like barked at him.

"Nothing." He replied a little too quickly.

I raised my eyebrows at his reply. "Oh so you're smiling at the oxygen around you for no apparent reason?"

"Well...it's just that I've been out with so many girls before but you're the first one to actually stand out."

"So...is that a bad thing?"

"No! Standing out's good. Fitting in can become boring pretty fast."

"I seriously doubt I'm the kind of person to stand out. An awkward, average looking nerd is as typical as it gets."

"Are you kidding me? You're anything but typical. You take snarky and sarcastic to a whole new level, you're crazy enough to challenge a guy who's twice your size, at basketball and win, you stabbed a drunkard with a stiletto like you were a trained professional, you paint skulls on your nails just cause you think creepy and weird things are awesome and you eat as if your stomach's a freakin' black hole. How's any of that typical?"

I looked absently at my painted fingernails. I was honestly surprised that he'd been so observant. "Wow. You officially know more about my little quirks, than any other person on this planet."

He didn't say anything and we just kept walking in silence but when I looked at him again, I could see he was thinking really hard about something. There was the same confusion in his eyes that I'd seen earlier this morning.

Why did he keep doing that? What was he so torn about?
I wanted so badly to ask and sort it all out, but it kind of scared me. I wasn't very good at asking people personal questions and what if he did decide to tell me?

Did I really want to know?

I decided to let it go. It wasn't any of my business and I didn't want him getting mad at me again. We had just become friends. I would like it if we stayed that way.

We'd made it back to where Lara was sitting so I asked, "What's next on the tour? Where do you wanna go?"

She shrugged and said, "I'm bushed. We've been roaming around all morning and it's almost eight. Plus, they're having re-runs of all the seasons of Supernatural on TV. I sure don't wanna miss that."

"OMG! Me too!" I squealed and clapped my hands like a wind-up monkey, not caring who saw me.

"Hey! You can come over and we can watch it together. I'm betting it'll be more fun fan girling over Dean Winchester with you, than my eye-rolling idiot of a brother."

This was promptly followed by an eye roll from Aaron. "Gosh! I feel so heartbroken that I've been replaced. I won't be a part of the beggar Winchester fan club anymore! How could do this to me? Excuse me while I go cry bucketfuls."

"Awh, don't cry! I'm sure there's an open fan girl spot somewhere in the Hannah Montana fan club. It's perfect for you!"

Lara, who was laughing by now, smirked at Aaron. "Finally, Miller's sarcasm meets its match."

~*~

"What do you say we kill some evil sons of bitches and we raise a little hell?"

Lara and I were glued to the plasma TV screen in the Millers' den, sitting on comfy beanbags and munching on popcorn. Watching Dean was absolute heaven. The guy was the epitome of epic-ness and I totally worshipped him as my sarcasm God!

Both our heads snapped towards the kitchen though, when we were disturbed by a whole lot of rattling and clanging of metal coming from in there.

"Dude! Stop doing that, will ya? We're doing important things here. Keep it down!" Lara yelled, only to receive a laugh in reply.

A few minutes of silence passed and we started watching the show again. But obviously, asking Aaron to keep it down was like asking Godzilla to wear a tutu and a pink headband.

Since he wasn't going to stop his 'pots and pans' maestro concert, I was forced to stomp to the kitchen myself.
"What part of 'stop doing that' did your genius brain not process?"

He looked up and immediately stopped the racket. "Oh. Hi. Sorry about that, I was just...um...feeling musical."

Okay. Now he was just begging to get sarcasm-slapped. "Yes, of course. Even Mozart started out with frying pans and wooden mixing spoons. You're on the right track."
I gave him a thumbs up and started to walk out of the kitchen.

"Avery...?"

I would have kept walking, but the way my heart flipped made me turn around.
"Yeah?"

"I...uh...actually wanted to...ask you something."

A nervous Aaron Miller was definitely a sight to see, but I couldn't bring myself to smirk or make any comment on it. I was too curious and for some reason, very nervous myself. Why did I have a tingly feeling about this?
"Sure..."

The next words out of his mouth definitely multiplied that tingly feeling.

"Will you go out with me?"

------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Is she gonna say yes? o.O

Sorry for such slow updates. Tenth grade is the guilty party, I swear!
Tried making this one long though, so yay for that :P

Hope you liked it. Tell me whatchya think and be sure to vote it up! ^^

Song: Walking On Sunshine by Katerina & The Waves.
Epic pop rock, isn't it?

Thanks for reading

Byyee :*

xoxo
~ Av ~

[Instagram: @be_maverick]

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

95.5K 3.3K 21
Anna is a perfect 18 years old girl with perfect grades. She is popular in school and has many friends. She's beautiful and feisty. She lives in an a...
127K 4.4K 35
"Do you touch yourself Mia?" he whispers. I blush with embarrassment, but I can't lie to him at this moment. He's back in control. "Yes,"I breath out...
235 31 16
€£¥ "The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, princess." He growls at me and then spits on the ground revealing blood. What is that supposed...
1.7K 45 17
***Book 1*** Neighbours With the Bad Boy ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ And this is a short story since it is my first, I will not be editing this one...