Gravedancer

Por AlfiRizkyR

Alden Jackson believes that Calamity, Oregon, is the most boring place on Earth: so boring there that the peo... Más

6 YEARS AGO.
1. WELCOME TO CALAMITY...
2. ...THE ONLY PLACE IN AMERICA...
3. ...WHERE MAGIC IS REAL.
4. TO YOUR RIGHT IS WHAT WE CALL DISASTER.
5. TO YOUR LEFT, IT LOOKS LIKE A RAID...?
6. WE ALSO HAVE SOME MONSTERS...
7. ...SOME REALLY MEAN MONSTERS.
8. RIGHT AHEAD OF US IS NECROMANCY.
9. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CASTING UNNECESSARY SPELLS.
10. WE HAVE A COZY PLACE TO STAY...
11. ...BUT THE LIGHTS ARE CURRENTLY OUT.
13. I BELIEVE THIS ENDS OUR WONDERFUL TRIP.
14. HAVE A NICE DAY!
EPILOGUE.

12. YOU CAN ALSO TRY OUR SIGNATURE ALCHEMY.

49 8 0
Por AlfiRizkyR

It is, probably, unjust to accuse the alchemists generally of

dabbling with attempts at magic in the common sense of the term.

-The Alchemists, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, 1818.

Bev was apparently tied and gagged in the office motel, and she didn't look good.

Heather agreed to taking Bev to the shelter and even signaled me to come, but I reminded her that I needed to find Emma Warren at Minerva. We had a short argument about her guarding me until Cora suddenly burst into the office.

"There you are," she said. Then her eyes turned to Bev. "What happened to Bev?"

Hmm. Maybe I really could use some socializing.

"Monster attack," Heather said. Cora's eyes dawned to understanding.

"I saw a lot of them on my way here," Cora said. "They wandered around just like that. That's pretty bold."

"Wandering around in broad daylight among magi? Yeah, that's pretty bold," I said. "Are they still kidnapping people?"

"That's the weird thing, Alden," Cora said. "They didn't attack or anything. They just wander and look around. Sure, it's pretty disturbing, but...well, observation says nonmagi can't see them. What do you think would happen if they attack the nonmagi?"

Flashes of what happened at the Witch House waiting party played themselves in my head. Not good.

"And the magi did nothing?"

"Old lessons," Cora said. "The Self-Defense principle. Do not engage in things that lead to harm to those who harms you not."

"Told you we Covens take the matter of honor seriously," Heather said. "So, uh, since Cora's here, I think I'm relieved off duty, then. I'll take Bev to the shelter." She beckoned at Cora. "Watch the big guy."

"No problem," Cora nodded as Heather walked past us holding Bev. Heather bothered to manage a small nod at me and I nodded back. I had no idea how she would carry Bev all the way from here to the shelter in that corner, but I figured that there had to be a way. The Covens were pretty resourceful.

"Let's go to Minerva," I said. "Or, um, I think I'd go home and take a shower. All this running and fighting and being gagged in the woods didn't exactly make me smell...desirable."

Cora laughed. "Alright, I'd be waiting in your living room and pressing your mom to tell me your deepest embarrassment as usual."

Your mom. I could feel my eyes twitch a bit, but I tried to ignore it. "Okay. Wanna lead the way?"

"Nah, I'll do just fine following you," she said as she showed the door. I walked out the office and Cora followed suit, locking the door with a spell before catching up with me.

"So how did you find me?" I asked. Cora shrugged.

"Well, it's actually not that much of a story. Woke up just an hour ago or two. Naturally, I checked your house first, but you weren't there. Your dad, however, found your note. I was just wondering where you'd be strolling until morning, but then I remembered the whole thing from last night and I figured that Morgana would've known that Heather knows you, so if anyone in the Covens is active at the time to help guard you, it would be her. So I went to her house."

"But she wasn't there," I said. Cora nodded.

"I do, though, know that there's a motel owned by the Covens near her house. So, out of options, I checked there. You know, just in case. Turns out you were there." Then she looked around. "And what happened to you? I thought the monster attack last night was bad enough."

"I think I'd begin by thanking you for this," I said as I touched the Clear Sight. "Heather said it's pretty difficult to make."

Cora shrugged. "I don't know, my family had a bunch of those. My mom's a Wicce, and her mom was a Wicce, and her mom was a Wicce, and so on and so forth and they've all made at least three Clear Sight charms throughout their lifetime. In the end, I got a whole box of them and always bring at least three when going out."

"Just in case," I guessed. She nodded.

"But hey, it helps, doesn't it?"

I nodded. "A lot."

I told Cora about me leaving the house (except for the Ace of Hearts' warning, she didn't know about her yet), meeting Heather, taking a short nap in the Bunk, and Nyx and her husband's attack.

"But something's off," Cora said. "See, Nyx was the Night, so you two took her down with the miniature sun. But what about her husband? If he was, as Nyx put it, darkness, then wouldn't his weakness be light? But you haven't emitted any light when you broke out of his darkness. And you didn't see him in the night sphere, so he probably won't be affected by the miniature sun...so where was he when Nyx was defeated?"

That brought me to silence. She had a point - Nyx had personified herself in front of us, but her husband hadn't. Then again, Cora was right. If the husband wasn't in Nyx's night sphere, there's a chance that he wouldn't be affected by Heather's little sun. When we broke out of the darkness seal, we also didn't see anyone or even anything. Nyx just suddenly took over. And if Nyx was right about her husband being the solely responsible culprit for the darkness, then where was he?

She didn't mention him being dead or defeated when we broke the obstacle zone, I realized. He's still somewhere out there.

As I sank back into my thoughts, Cora snapped me out of it. "Alden, we're here."

I looked around and suddenly realized that I was already standing in front of my house. "You said you were here earlier?"

Cora nodded.

"So my parents are already up?"

"Your dad was, I don't know about your mom."

"That'll do," I said as I knocked on the door.

Jack opened it. "Ah, hi there," he beamed. "Done with your stroll?"

"You have no idea," I said. "I'm gonna take a shower. What have we got for breakfast? I'm starving."

Really, I hadn't eaten a thing ever since the waiting party before my dare shift began. And then there's this whole magic encounter and monster attacks.

"I'm making bacon!" Amanda's voice replied from the kitchen. I smiled.

"You're the best!" I replied. Then I lowered my voice to Jack. "Thanks."

He smiled back. "No problem. Cora, what are you doing outside? Come on in! And, oof, Alden," Jack said as he waved his hand over his nose. "You're right, you should take a bath."

I laughed as I and Cora entered.

I was home.

//

After shower and a heavenly breakfast, complete with friendly laughter every once in a while that I hadn't had for quite some time, Cora decided that I could use some sleep.

"School isn't going to be over in about five hours," Cora protested. "And you haven't exactly slept well, I know that. Go. Shoo. If I walk into your room and find you awake, I'll personally jinx you."

My parents simply laughed and agreed. Cora's eyes said she was serious about the jinx.

"Cora," I said, "a moment?"

We went upstairs to my room, and I told her about the three-hour mark.

"Don't ask me how I know, I just do. And I can't put Jack and Amanda in the line of fire."

Cora rolled her eyeballs. "Dude, you do know I'm not alone in guarding you. There are Covens surrounding this house as we speak. And yeah, we've seen monsters, but we know we can handle them. Some magic wouldn't hurt."

I looked at her warily, and she sighed.

"Sleep, Alden. Or I'll put you there."

I raised both hands. "Fine, fine, okay. But don't forget to wake me up."

"No," she said as she walked over to the doorway. "You'll only wake up when you wake up. Night-night."

I groaned, but I obeyed.

Apparently I went to sleep a lot easier than I thought.

There wasn't any nightmare on the way again, although I did dream of Heather looking at me with a strange look that I couldn't quite make out. It was like she saw me there, but hesitated as if she wasn't really sure what she was seeing.

"Hang on in there," her voice echoed, "I'll guard you."

The echo sounded distant, just close enough to be heard faintly. Everything around me was dark, and I suddenly remembered that it all somehow reminded me of the mist. Heather's image flickered. It was like she was a ghost.

"Go." With that, she disappeared.

There were growls.

I woke up.

There was a sense of urgency in that dream, so I woke up with my heart pounding on my chest, however, the haunting pictures dissipated quickly.

I got up and got dressed quickly. It was about half to two (I didn't know I needed that much sleep), and Cora had agreed that she would accompany me to Minerva to find Emma.

"But wherever you're going with her, I need to know," she warned. "I'm not having your guts being an Alchemist's experiment."

Something in her eyes made me take second thoughts whether or not it was an affectionate joke.

After eating a flash lunch (Amanda really was the best), we finally took off to Minerva.

We met several other juniors on our way, and we were informed that school finished early today. A lot of students actually seemed uncomfortable on their way - they must've seen the monsters. I remembered what John said about our Vice Principal being a magus - looked like someone stayed true to his words, then. I hoped it was a good sign.

"If a lot of them are on their way home already, I think we just go to the Warrens'," Cora said. "You know, Emma's probably on her way there, too."

I nodded and let her lead the way as we turned.

When we got closer to the Witch House, I couldn't help but remember the previous night there. That house practically began everything that happened so far. If it wasn't for that house, none of this would've happened.

Another pang of guilt hit me.

"Speaking of which, really, what happened to that Necromancer who summoned the killer ghoul?" I asked Cora. "Barney didn't really answer what happened to her; he just said who she is."

"I haven't got the time to check," Cora admitted. "But something's fishy, Alden. You've seen Necromancers at work when they open Doors. Were any of them trapped like her?"

I remembered Barney and Zombie Chicken. Barney and the growler back in the Witch House party. Then the Necromancers back in Disaster. I shook my head. "Not that I know of."

"Then how come she was trapped?" Cora asked as she reached into her pocket for her rubber band. She tied her hair up. "Not to mention it wasn't a basic trap. A basic trap tears when I rip it with my dagger and the Gaelic Stonecutter spell. This one didn't."

I remembered the short peek I took before the killer ghoul moved in to devour me - Cora's cutting of the invisible curtains always failed because the curtains regenerated. I nodded. "I saw that. How difficult was it to make that kind of trap?"

"Pretty difficult," she said as she eyed my Clear Sight. "More difficult than making that, I can guarantee."

I remembered Heather's expression when she talked about the Clear Sight. I gulped. "Then whoever the caster of the trap was, he took his time."

"And the girl didn't suspect him," Cora said as she put a hand on her chin. "At least, not enough to escape the trap in time."

"Could it be that she volunteered?" I asked. "You know, like a sacrifice?"

"I think that's what the trapper thought," Cora said, "but the girl is a magus, and Barney did mention that she was a year older than us. She must've known about ritual sacrifices. It might just be me or the mist, but she looked relieved when the killer ghoul was gone. Besides, if it was only a matter of opening Doors as Barney said it probably was, then why would a sacrifice be needed?"

I raised both hands. "I know nothing about opening Doors, don't ask me."

"I just...well, I've only seen Necromancers at work for three years now, so I can't really say I know a lot. But I've never seen a Necromancer requiring sacrifice. Not even...well, sex magic."

I choked. "What?"

"You heard me right. Sex magic."

"You've ever...?"

"What - no! Well, I haven't done any spell that requires me to, so no, I've never done any sex magic. But that's not the point. I'm not sure if opening Doors needs sacrifice - let alone human sacrifice."

We were near the Warrens' by then, and we figured Cora was right - we could see Emma walking towards the house. I shared a look with Cora before we reached a nonverbal agreement. "Emma!" I called.

The girl in question - she looked exactly like Heather described her: pale, shoulder-length ash-blond, slightly shorter than me - turned as I and Cora scurried over to her.

"Sorry for the short notice," I said. "But I need to see Alex."

Her eyes scanned me, lingering a little longer on Clear Sight. She scanned Cora as well and noticed her Witch Bracelet. "Is it about the catalyst?"

"Yes," I said. Then I remembered what John said. "Um, John Dee asked me to try it."

She arched her eyebrows. "John himself? Interesting. This way."

She led us into the Warrens'. It was definitely still messy from the party, and I suspect that some of the people who were probably supposed to help with the cleanup here were also snatched by the monsters. I could only hope that the rescue raid would be fruitful.

"Alex!" Emma called. "Oi! We have some John calls here!"

"John calls?" a guy's voice answered from the corridor leading to the inside. Emma rolled her eyeballs.

"You coming here or what?"

"Gimme a sec!"

"Wait here," Emma said. She looked around. "Sorry for the mess. Party last night."

"For the Witch House," Cora said. "Yeah, we were there."

Her eyes looked glum and I knew she was thinking about the monsters' attack.

Emma shrugged. "And I also apologize, again, that my brother isn't exactly the most punctual guy around."

"That's fine," I said. "I have all the time in the world."

No, I didn't.

Thankfully, though, Alex chose that time to appear from the corridor. He looked like a carbon copy of his little sister, except that he was taller than me and his hair was buzz trimmed. They both shared the same electric blue eyes, pale skin, and thin build. His eyes fixated on me and he offered a hand.

"Alex Warren," he said. "Uh, John recommended you?"

I nodded. "Alden Jackson. He just told me to tell Emma that John Dee asked me to take the catalyst," I said as I shook his hand. "Then he said she'd take me to you. That's about that."

He eyed Cora. "And this is...?"

"Cora Maguire," she said, shaking his hand after me. "I'm on my clan leader's order to watch over this guy."

"You Necromancer?"

"Wicce."

Alex knitted his eyebrows. "And this man is...?"

"Clanless."

"Really? Isn't he..." Alex scanned me shortly. "...eighteen already?"

Impressive. "How do you know that?"

"Deductive logic. How come you're still clanless?"

"It's..." I looked at Cora. She shrugged. "It's actually kind of a long story."

"Well, if John really did ask you to take the catalyst, we'll talk in the lab." He turned to Cora. "Sorry, but you're not coming."

"Uh-uh, I'm coming. I gotta watch this guy."

"No, you have no business coming. But don't worry, we'll watch over Alden. He's not gonna end up an experiment or something." Then he turned to me. "How much did John say the amount is?"

I replayed John's words. "Thirteen."

Alex's expression was nothing short of impressed. "Really? That's impossible."

"I swear."

Alex's eyes scanned me. For a moment, a chill ran down my back - a similar chill with the one I got near the Covens' shelter. Honesty checker. "Alright. This way." He turned to Cora again. "Stay, or I'll consider it a clan war."

Cora had opened her mouth, but no sound came out. She then shut them again, thought for a while, and finally decided against coming with me. Apparently a clan war was that bad. She definitely looked uneasy. "Be sure he's back in one piece."

"He'll be back even better," Alex guaranteed. "This way, Alden."

Alex led me through the corridor. We kept walking until we reached the end of the hall, and then he navigated me to the right.

"Nos in Circino Aurulento duco."

I heard Alex whisper that line under his breath, and he touched my back. I grew dizzy and suddenly felt so lifted and liberated: I couldn't feel a thing while flying in this haze. There was a gleaming path in front of me, but something made sure that I couldn't follow them unless Alex was leading me. Whenever I tried to follow that path, they blurred and became jumbled messes.

Alex muttered several more words in Latin, and pushed me along the path. This time, the path didn't disperse. We kept walking, my mind numb as to where I was walking to - my whole world shrank to this small path in front of me that I followed mindlessly.

Then, just like that, the haze lifted.

I was standing in the doorway of a huge hall, with a lot of lab tech decorating the walls and tables with what looked like antique chemical devices everywhere. I turned back, but there was only a big metal door behind me.

"Welcome," Alex said, "to the Golden Compass. This might be your only time here, so you may indulge your sight. Just be sure to not touch or cast anything."

I was more than willing to comply, but I remembered why I was here.

"I'll just take the catalyst, thanks," I said. Alex nodded and navigated me through several rows of tables, each one with different sets of devices - some I was familiar with, like the tubes or burners, but I'd never seen the others.

"Here," he said, showing a small device that looked much like a coffee maker. "Modified it from a coffee maker," he confirmed. "But now it serves just the purpose, only faster. You said thirteen, right?"

I nodded. He punched in 1 and 3 on the machine and pressed 'Go'. The machine hummed to life.

"Now we wait," he said.

The seconds passed by in silence, and in that moment, I could sense everything else that was going on in the lab. There were bursting bubbles, hissing burners, passing clouds of God-knows-what, and soft machinery hums. "Why is this place called the Golden Compass?"

Alex smiled. "Ever read John Milton's Paradise Lost?"

I shook my head. "I've heard, but never actually read it."

Alex nodded. "It's an epic poem about creation and the Fall of Man, published in late 1600s. If you go to Book 7, you can find this part: He took the golden Compasses, prepar'd / In Gods Eternal store, to circumscribe / This Universe, and all created things: / One foot he center'd, and the other turn'd. Milton described golden compasses as God's tool that created everything. It's further depicted by another poet and illustrator William Blake in his design The Ancient of Days, where Urizen, his figure of reason, uses a golden compass to measure out and circumscribe the universe from the darker void. So that's why we call this place the Golden Compass - it's pretty much the tool with which everything is created."

I raised my eyebrows at the explanation. "Nice."

Alex grinned. "I know."

The catalyst machine let out a soft ping as a small cup slid out. In it was a not-so-suspicious colorless liquid, hardly distinguishable from water. Alex offered it to me.

"Here," he said, "Level Thirteen."

I took the cup, but as I drew it closer to my mouth, I hesitated. It wasn't the scent - the scent was sweet and cool and calming, like dew, but I just randomly remembered that it was made with alchemy. I had absolutely no idea what's in it. "So I just...drink it?"

"Yes. It's okay, all the magic involved is safe. No chemical in it would hurt you anyhow. Go ahead."

I took a deep breath. Here goes nothing.

I finished the whole cup in a single gulp.

There. "What am I supposed to feel?"

Alex shrugged. "Well, usually euphoria. You suddenly get excited and hyper with no good reason. Then you'll start using your magic and you'll discover that you can do things you couldn't. It usually lasts about three hours, and it's this period that really poses a risk of damage. To the surroundings, I mean, not to you. Then after that, you're good. All well and perfected."

"Should it have a waiting period like this?" I wasn't feeling any excitement kicking in. I wasn't feeling hyper. I didn't feel much of a change. "How long should I wait?"

Alex frowned. "It usually takes an immediate -"

Out of nowhere, nausea took me over and I threw up.

Alex reacted quickly enough when he saw the change on my face and managed to grab an empty bucket that just happened to be sitting next to his feet. With no better way to describe it, I vomited in there.

It was colorless.

"Wha -" I staggered back, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. "Is that...what just...?" All feelings put aside, I was dizzy. It wasn't just my body that made me threw that up, I could feel it in my guts. It took me a good while until I was properly on my own feet.

Alex's expression was unreadable. "But...Level Thirteen...how could...?" he muttered. Then he turned to me. "Uh, let's return to my house now. I'll figure something out. I'm sorry."

"What happened?" I asked as he muttered a spell and touched my shoulder. Again, I was trapped in a mindless haze with no sense of navigation.

"Your body rejects the catalyst." Alex's voice was not much more than an echo as he led me out of the lab, but somehow, my head managed to translate it. "I wonder why. It's never happened before. I'll have to ask John."

I was trying to figure something out - John mentioned something about the catalyst earlier, didn't he?

The catalyst has to be more perfect than the object that is to be perfected.

My mind was beginning to formulate some logic, but the haze covered my thoughts. I was literally too lazy to think.

Seriously, what spell is this?

As soon as we returned to the Warrens' - which I disturbingly couldn't remember how - the spell lifted and I was hastily greeted by the sight of Cora, her hair tied tighter up in a ponytail, her face nothing but panic. "How was it?"

"It failed," I said simply. Cora uttered something like thanks and some apologies to the Warrens and suddenly grabbed my arm as she led me running out of the house. "Whoa, what?"

"There's no contact from the others," she said hurriedly as we ran along the street. "The Covens watching your house - your parents - they could be -"

Oh, no.

I ran like I never ran before. "Race you there."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

2K 386 77
Luna Aldridge lives with her boyfriend, Kyle Tuttle in Peabody, Massachusetts. Having a feeling that there's more to life, she's always visiting Vict...
46 0 41
A Thrilling Teen & Young Adult Dark Fantasy Adventure Series When Esa Blyth escaped from the pits of hell, he thought his troubles were over. However...
22.9K 1K 24
**MATURE THEMES/SMUT** Picking up the pieces of a mess you didn't make is never a great experience. Walking into your seventh year, with an undeniabl...
168K 3.5K 35
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...