The English Boy

By iamsammyyy

Filipina-English self-proclaimed tomboy, Joe McCarthy moves to Ilkley, West Yorkshire, England and starts adj... More

The English Boy
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue
Lost in Yorkshire
Playlist

Chapter 32

592 18 0
By iamsammyyy

It turned out that Bernie McGregor, our next-door neighbor, Mrs. Montgomery's granddaughter, is on Christmas Break and was going to stay in Yorkshire until New Year. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a good news or a bad news for me. Bernie seemed nice the very first time I met her, but now, I feel awkward around her. And it seems that every time she's with Callum, she doesn't care about anything or anyone, but him.

I was heading downstairs for breakfast, then I heard Bernie, talking.

Dad was talking to somebody on phone, using another language... and then he saw me, "Oh, one minute-" he said, as he put the phone down.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Oh, that?" dad said "Just some kind of matter that needs to be settled in Dublin."

"Is that an Irish guy you're talking to?" I asked.

"I am of an Irish descent and spent a couple of years in Ireland, didn't I?" dad said "Bernie's having breakfast with Callum-"

"I knew it," I said.

"I thought you like Bernie?" he said "You won't stop going on about her last summer."

"That was last summer," I said "Now, she doesn't want to talk because Callum's here."

"Well, join them now." dad said, and he kissed my head "I love you."

"Love you too." I said, as I made my way to the Dining Room to have breakfast with Callum and Bernie. But, I decided to eavesdrop first...

"Oxford?" Bernie asked Callum "You're still dreaming to go to Oxford?"

Callum wants to go to Oxford?

"It's something I've decided a long time ago." Callum replied.

"No," Bernie said "It's something YOU and Luke Taylor decided a long time ago. You know? When you guys were still alright with each other?"

Callum didn't turn to her. He just nodded.

"Yeah," Callum said

"Luke's going to Oxford, isn't he?" Bernie asked.

"He has some kind of music scholarship within his reach," Callum said "It is paid for, whether he takes it or not."

"He wouldn't have gotten that scholarship of his if it wasn't for his goody-two-shoes father." Bernie said.

Callum turned to her.

"Bernie, he's my father too," Callum said.

"Your father too?" Bernie asked "He rejected you. Don't tell me you're still clinging on to a dim of hope that he is going to accept you into his family."

"It's not wrong to hope for something-"

"Oh, give up!" Bernie said "I know, it's not wrong. It is fun to wish for things, it is fun to dream!!! But what happens afterwards? You'll just get hurt. Cal, I don't want you to get hurt."

I was about to leave and come back for breakfast later, until...

"What about Joe?" she asked Callum.

"What about Joe?" Callum asked.

Yeah! What about me?!

"Isn't she going back to the Philippines any time soon?" she asked.

Wait! So, she doesn't want me here?!

"Not this time," Callum said "I highly doubt it. Why'd you ask?"

"Nothing," she said "I'm just worried about, you know?"

"Shh!" Callum said "She might hear you."

***

Callum and Bernie decided to go to the Grove for lunch to catch up with each other since, they were, in fact, childhood friends and haven't seen each other for a while. They invited to come along but, I didn't want to. I just wanted to stay home and rest.

Dad has some kind of Christmas Party to go to so, I'm home alone right now. And then the phone rang from downstairs...

"Hello?" I said

"Allô!!!" a girl said from the other line.

"Who's this?" I asked

"Parlez-vous Français?" ("Do you speak French?") she asked. She's probably calling the wrong number.

"Uhh-" I smacked my forehead because I couldn't decide whether I should hang up on this girl or not "Oui! Je parlez français" ("Yes! I speak French")

"Je voudrais parler à Johanna McCarthy" she said. She wanted to speak to me...

"Oui? Je m'appelle Johanna McCarthy" who is this anyway? "Je suis désolé, C'est de la part de qui?" ("I'm sorry, who is speaking?")

There was no reply, but I could hear her breathing...

"Allô?" I said

"Je vous le passe-" she is transferring the call! What?!

"Pourquoi?!" I asked. I was getting annoyed this time. Is this a prank?!

That's it! I'm hanging up, but I'm gonna have to tell her first!

"Je suis désolé. Je raccroche-" ("I'm sorry, I'm hanging up-"

"La France est un pays merveilleux!!!" a guy's voice said this time. I know that voice!

"Luke?!" I asked

"Hi Joe!!!" he said

"Oh My God! Luke!!!" I said "I miss you so much!!!"

"I miss you too!!!" he replied.

"How did you get this number?" I asked.

"I've had it for a long time now." he said.

He must be referring to Callum.

"How's Paris?" I asked.

"Good Food, nice weather, and everything's just great!!! I'm staying in a wonderful hotel too, right next to the dorm my sister is staying in." he said

"Who's the girl I was talking to?" I asked.

"Ohh, I'm sorry, that was me!!!" the girl said "Hi Joe!!! My name's Hannah." she said.

"Ohh!!! You're Luke's sister?" I asked...and Callum's sister too, I guess?

"Yeah!!!" she said "Sorry about earlier. My brother said you're good at speaking french so, I decided to challenge you," she said

"How's Toby?" Luke asked

"He's good!!!" I said

"What is he doing right now?" he asked

"He's out-" Toby's out with Callum and Bernie. Callum loves Toby, and Bernie's alright with Callum bringing Toby with them. I couldn't tell Luke Callum has Toby right now "He's out...in the backyard. He likes outdoors,doesn't he?"

"Yeah," Luke said "Joe, thankyou so much for keeping an eye on him. It means a lot to me."

"Yeah, sure! No problem!!!" I said "So, what are you up to right now? Paris must be fabulous"

"We're heading for lunch in a while. Then, this afternoon, we'll be going to the Eiffel Tower,"

"What have you been doing there so far?" I asked.

"Resting all the way," he said

"And, Jace?" I asked

"The other night, Jace, Hannah and I went out to dinner. Then, we met these hot French girls, well, Jace thinks they're hot, and they invited him to a party last night and right now, I think they're taking him to the Louvré."

"And, Hannah?" I asked

"On vacation," Luke said "Joe, I have to go now. I'll talk to you soon."

"Okay," I said "Have fun over there!!!"

"You too!" he said "Especially you, it's your first Christmas in Britain."

"Yeah," I said "Bye!!!"

***

The rest of the day was nothing. I just read books and watched BBC. There was nothing to do.

"Hey!!!" Callum said as he entered the room while I was reading a book on the bed "How's your day so far?"

"Do you really need to ask?" I asked

"Boring?" he asked

"Yeah," I replied "How's your day with Bernie?"

"It's alright!" he said "Though, taking up Fine Arts at the University of Manchester has changed her a lot."

"What do you mean?" I asked

"Well, she became sort-off boastful, arrogant and sassy," he said "I mean, it's not her anymore. It's not the Bernie I grew up with."

"I thought she carried on with that kind of attitude since she was born," I said "It's obvious that she has a crush you so, I thought that maybe your presence just drive her out her mind."

"No," he said "It's really just College talking."

"How's April by the way?" I asked

He shrugged.

"Don't know" he said.

Sounds like he doesn't even care foe her anymore. Callum, what's up with you?!

"Kids!!!" dad went inside our room.

"Hey!" I said.

"Hi Steve!" Callum said.

"Pack your bags, now!!!" dad said

I got up.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We're going on trip!!!" dad said "Now, quickly!!! Both of you, pack your bags!!!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 116 30
Scarlet just wants to be left alone and finish high school as she moved away from her home. People at her old school saw her as odd and she only had...
2.6K 232 22
2 years following the covid-19 lockdown, 16 year old Isabel De La Cruz feels fumbled and overwhelmed about school re-opening again. Sure, she might b...
108K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
49.5K 1K 40
Aurora has always had one goal; to study and get as far away as possible from her house. Life was never easy for her but it seemed to get worse when...