A Guide To The Opposite Sex (...

By To_Kill_A_Bookworm

Warning: Story discontinued for now Meet seventeen-year-old twins Riley and Kyle Cooper. When Riley complain... More

Damn His Stupid Puppy-Eyed Look
You've Got To Be Kidding Me
Not Exactly What I'd Been Expecting
Why Do Girls Act Like Such A Tease?
I'm Bringing Nerdy Back
Party Crashers
Hot-Shot On Campus
It's Complicated...
Carny Treats
50 Shades Of Annoying
Cloud Of Mystery
The Nutcracker
Tequila-Induced Coma
Silent Treatment
S.O.S Please
Medicinal My Ass
Don't Mess With Riley Cooper
BONUS CHAPTER: Natalie Martin
The Raids
Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures
Coach From Hell
Replaced
Unexpected Visitors Pt. I
Unexpected Visitors Pt. II
ill-Advised
Way Out Of My League
To Kicking Ass
Letting Go
At Last, Goodbye
Déjà Vu
False Hope, Kisses, & I-Love-Yous
Love Is In The Air
Avalanche
Promises, Promises
Be OK
Lockdown
Finally
Harsh Truth
Gone Gone Gone Pt. I
Gone Gone Gone Pt. II
Time
The Saint
Home
The One That Got Away
The Townies
Secrets
Dinner For Schmucks
Change
Strangers
The Favor
The Graduate
500 Miles Too Many
Into The Wild Part I
Bonus Chapter: Natalie Martin
Into The Wild Part II
This is NOT An Update
Many the Miles Pt. I
CHAPTER REPOSTED: Many the Miles Pt. I

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

14.9K 323 81
By To_Kill_A_Bookworm

A/N: Dedicated to miss_smiley8 for being so nice and awesome! Thanks for your comment; it put a smile on my face!

Riley POV

I didn't know how to react, and neither did Kyle. So we just sat there feeling numb and glued to our chairs.

After a very long, pregnant silence, Kyle and I both spoke at the same time. "It was all my ideal!"

My mother raised an eyebrow and shook her head, probably already getting a headache trying to keep up with her twin's meddling minds.

"I decided to transfer schools," I said in a lame attempt to try and keep Kyle out of trouble.

As soon as I uttered those words, the principal's eyes narrowed at me and she shook her head. "That's impossible! Your transcripts and files are still at Malibu Creek; you're still enrolled."

Both my parents turned to me with icy expressions. "If I don't get a straight answer from you Riley right now--"

"Okay, okay! It was me. I forced her to do it..." Kyle said and reached under the table to take my hand. 

"Do what?" Mrs. Shepherd asked in a wary voice. 

"Erm a guide to the opposite sex." I watched as my dad's eyes widened and he whipped his head to look at Kyle. 

"What did you make her do?!" I realized then how my words sounded. If I wasn't in such a stressful situation, I would definitely find his reaction hilarious.

"Dad, I'm sorry! I thought it'd make a good article for the school paper."

"You were going to publish that in my newspaper?!" Mrs. Shepherd yelled. 

Now I was seriously having trouble keeping a straight face. "No, you guys don't get it. All I did was dress up like a guy and enroll in another school. You know, to chronicle how guys act around other guys."

"Oh." the adults sat back down and relaxed for a second, now that they knew Kyle and I were writing something inappropriate. 

"Which school did you enroll in?" my dad asked with a hint of interest. You see, he's just what Kyle dreams of being: a reporter. 

Kyle saw his opportunity to get one of them on our side and took it. "That doesn't matter. Dad, you wouldn't believe all the research Riley and I have accumulated! I really think I'm on to something--"

"Kyle." My brother stoppd talking when my mom interrupted him in a low voice. "What school has Riley been going to?"

"Um Lakeview Hill Academy," Kyle muttered under his breath. 

"I'm almost afraid to ask but...isn't that an all boy's school?" My mom sighed when our only response was silence. 

"...so can I see the research?" my dad asked after a long silence. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing at the glare my mom and Mrs. Shepherd sent him. 

"I need to go call Lakeview Hill Academy. No one move while I go inform the school about...this." As soon as my mom walked out of the dinning room, my dad leaned forward and said in a low excited voice. "Show me and I promise not to tell your mother I saw it."

* * *

"Not so fast, young lady." I sighed and turned back around to face my mom. She gestured down at the vibrating phone in my hand and my eyes widened. "What--you can't take my phone away!"

She calmly stuck her hand out and raised her eyebrows, "Want to bet?"

Rolling my eyes, I dropped the phone in her hands. Storming away, I slammed my door shut and leaned against it. I know the message was from Grant; I had read his name on the screen. 

How was I supposed to talk to him now? I needed him here with me, especially now that I was having such a bad day.

After my mom came back from calling Lakeview, the school principal and superintendent showed up on my doorstep. 

And then that's when hell unleashed. 

The short man was yelling stuff about me making a mockery of his school and the old superintendent dude was getting all indignant saying I couldn't possibly have kept up with the advanced curriculum and that all I succeeded in was wasting the time of the professors. 

My jaw dropped at their accusations and I didn't skip a beat in responding. I was in the top 10% of the graduating class of their precious school and third in row for valedictorian in the short few weeks I've been there. 

That shut them up real quick. 

After explaining to them how this could be good publicity for them if the school claims to have admitted me knowing I was a girl, their icy looks began to thaw.

Kyle caught on to that and added, "So you see, you can benefit from this too because as soon as the information leaks out that a girl went to an all boys academy, the press is going to want Riley to comment. And all she'll have to say is positive things about her time in Lakeview Hill Academy and it's wonder principal and superintendent."  

At the end, the pair left with small smiles on their faces probably already planning what their responses will be to the local newspaper reporters. 

"Just because Lakeview has decided not to press charges doesn't mean you two are off the hook," my mom had said as soon as the door was closed behind the two men. 

We were grounded, obviously, until a few weeks before graduation. If that doesn't put a damper on my senior year, I don't know what does. 

I threw myself face-first on my bed and groaned. I really needed to talk to Grant, and now I didn't even have my phone. 

Wait--I have my Rob phone, I thought and sprang off the bed. Rummaging through my bag, I fished out the rarely used cell-phone and texted Grant. 

Hey, It's Riley

Hey everything cool? You're phone's off -G

Um yeah. My phone got taken away :| -R

Why what happened? -G

I stared at the screen for a long time, debating whether or not I should tell him via text message. 

I decided it was too impersonal and picked up the phone when I saw that Grant was calling. "Riley, are you okay?"

I opened my mouth to reply but the door suddenly flew open. "Riley, I think we need to talk." my mom's eyes zeroed in on the phone in my hands and her face turned bright red. "What part of 'grounded without any technology' was too hard for you to understand?"

"Grant, I have to go," I said in a hushed voice and hung up. Avoiding her eyes, I handed her the phone and walked past her to hold the door open wide.

"I got it. Can you please go now?" She walked out with a frown and I slammed the door, this time locking it.

Shit. This is so unfair, I thought as I slide down the wall to pull my knees to my chest. Clutching a pillow to my face, I let out a muffled scream to get out my irritation. 

I guess I now know why the cage bird sings.

* * *

The relentless tip tapping made my eyelids flutter open in the middle of the night. I slowly sat up on my bed and looked around the quiet, dark room. 

What is that noise?

Just as I thought that, I heard it again. Standing up to investigate, I walked barefoot to the french doors of my window. Opening the doors, I stepped out on the balcony and hugged my arms as the early sea air whipped against my skin.

"Riley," I heard the whisper and looked down my balcony to see Grant. My eyes very nearly popped out of my head as I watched him climb the side of my two story house to my room. "Are you fucking crazy?" I said when he reached my balcony railing. 

He smiled down at me and leaned in for a kiss. "Yes, I am. For you, anyway. I had to make sure you were alright."

I stepped back to let him climb over the railing and together we walked inside my room, leaving the doors open. The moonlight illuminated the room as Grant took every detail in. 

"So this is where my beautiful girlfriend sleeps." I rolled my eyes and sat down on the large bed cross-legged. Grant sat down next to me and gently caressed my cheek. "What's wrong?"

"Grant. I need you to promise me something."

He nodded and stared deep into my eyes with concern. "Anything."

"Promise me that no matter what, you're always going to try and make us work. No matter what, promise me you'll try." Grant smiled adoringly and leaned in to kiss me. 

"Of course I'll try, Riley. I love you."

I knew then that it was very possible that I'll lose him. It doesn't matter what promises he makes me. There's still that chance. 

I couldn't do it. 

I couldn't tell him. Not now anyway.

Instead, I pulled Grant closer and kissed him with all my love. 

He deepened the kiss and lead me down to lay on my back. My hands dipped under his shirt and gently ran up his spine while Grant's lips wondered down to my neck. 

I tugged on the hem of his shirt and soon it lay on my hardwood floor. Together we rolled over, still locked in a passionate kiss. 

When we pulled away to breath, I allowed him to raise my t-shirt over my head. Starring deep into each other's eyes, I smiled and whispered into the dark night, "I love you, Grant."

"I love you too. No matter what, I'll always love you," he replied and leaned in to kiss me again. 

A/N: Okay, let's keep it appropriate and avoid details, yeah? Even though I should totally be writting an essay for my music honos society (I play violin. Anyone here play an instrument?), I'm here updating cus I love you guys. I tried to make this longer but still not filled with random, unnecesary details. How'd I do?
Comment and vote if you liked it! My next update will either be on Thursday or the weekend! TIll then, here's a question for you: how do you think Grant will take the news? :O 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 266 43
"Remember one thing, Riley Browns. He will never choose you." -•••- Riley Browns is a 20-year-old biochemistry student, she studies religiously and a...
Twins By Elizabeth

Teen Fiction

567 18 14
Sabrina Cooper doesn't take being rich lightly. Her lavish lifestyle comes from her lawyer parents, who praise her wildly for everything she does. Wh...
60.3K 1.4K 9
"How about this, you go on a date with me every day this week. If you still don't like me next Monday, then I'll let you go, but if you do end up lik...
59.4K 4K 33
Identical twin sisters, Riley and Reia Morgan, couldn't be more different. Riley loves living a freespirited lifestyle, moving from job to job on a w...