The War of the Unwilling Hear...

By shanlicht

She's been called a prude, a pessimist, and an overly pragmatic sort of person. Milena Garza doesn't care tho... More

By the Way....Happy Birthday
The Dive
Shipping
Invaded
Apologies
Red, Green, and Blue...Lust, Envy, and It's All For You
Your Story
Snowflakes on Ebony Silk
Mir, Salaam, Pau, Peace
Just Maybe
Through The Maze You Go
Sickening Summer
Pray Tell
The War Begins
Strictly Hurting
Missing
Flames for Fighting
Blood and Tears
Granted
Long Time Coming
Bells & Wills

The Delegation

9.7K 302 63
By shanlicht

By now it's barely two months into term as it's the 28th of October and the whole of the school vibrates with excitement for the special announcement at dinner tonight.

"Could you even guess what it could be?" Laura squeaks.

"Not if I gave it my last brain cell." Petar smirks.

"If you'd just calm down and wait for dinner maybe the time will have some mercy and not pass so slowly." I offer. She shakes her head.

"Nothing very exciting happens here. We didn't even gossip about Bulgaria losing the Quidditch World Cup." She gasps. "Oh don't tell him I said that." She pleads with me.

"Trust me I rather maim myself than converse or gossip with Krum."

"I do not believe I have ever heard someone say how much they don't like him." Petar looks at me with those sparkling eyes I've come to take some comfort in. "Every person likes Viktor Krum. The Great Viktor Krum." He says theatrically. I giggle.

"You mock me?" Viktor's riled voice comes from nowhere and I turn to see his pathetically furrowed face. I laugh.

"I do your majesty." I stand and curtsy. Petar stands beside me.

"Vee do not need to do this Viktor." Petar steps in front of me. Viktor draws his wand but I have mine in his face before he can bring his to Petar's eye level.

"You'll regret it." I hiss. Viktor smirks at me and lowers his wand.

"You have girl fight for you?" He laughs at Petar.

"No, Viktor." Petar chuckles. "I know not to fight girls."

Viktor looks slightly confused but looks at me and, with a tilt of my head, turns on his heels and leaves.

"I'm a snitch's width from cursing him."

"You probably shouldn't." Laura warns.

"Can't spare your boyfriend." I shrug. "Sorry."

"He doesn't even know who I am." Laura whines.

"Maybe it's because you don't stand up for anything." I sneer and storm off; Petar on my heels.

"I know I told Viktor I don't fight girls but maybe you should apologise to her."

"You should stick with your previous beliefs."

"Milena."

"What?!" I face him.

"Not everyone can be as brave as you." His eyes are soft and sympathetic.

"That's not bravery Petar. It's seeing what you can't lose and holding on to it." Tears sting the backs of my eyes but I refuse to cry. "I'm not brave." I continue toward the castle where I go immediately to my Charms class.

I can't help but sit broodingly in my seat, scratchily taking down notes until Viktor takes his seat and I freeze like I'd been petrified. Having nothing to say to Krum, I pass the class in silence not even raising my hand to answer questions or to pose them. Dark Arts happens similarly and my frustrated brain can't help but think that Viktor Krum has a vendetta against me.

When Dark Arts lets out everyone rushes to the hall for dinner and  the big announcement. Petar waits for me outside the classroom like he always does but unlike every other time he wraps me in a hug that I don't expect.

"I'm sorry." He sighs into my hair.

"It's fine. I was just angry." I say and gently pull myself away.

"That doesn't make you wrong."

"It doesn't make me any better."

Petar looks in my eyes and smiles.

"Let's go eat."

Petar and I are normal again as we walk down to the dining hall and separate to our house tables. Even my being surrounded by Viktor and his posse is a regular occurrence and I don't pay much attention to their talking as we eat. There's not much question as to what everyone is talking about though; Karkaroff's announcement. Speculation had surrounded the event since the first mention of it just a couple of weeks ago. Our only  premise was that a select group of students were to be participating in a very old school tradition. It was to my surprise that no one else knew of this tradition and were as perplexed by the message as I was.

When the plates are cleared the tension is at its peak and every energy is buzzing with murmuring excitement as Karkaroff takes the podium.

"Durmstrang is to compete in the Tri Wizard Tournament, an old tradition steeped in danger and glory." Every ear perks. "Our host is to the south where only twenty of you will travel; twenty carefully chosen students." The energy increases as they all want to be one of the twenty. "I will call the names individually. When I call your name stand and proceed to my office." Karkaroff clears his throat. "Vikor Krum. Leif Gorren. Kieran Van der Drage. Eric Roryksim."

Halfway through the names and I'm yawning, trying desperately not to fall asleep. Boy after boy is called to participate in this prestigious event.

"And finally Milena Garza-Vistark." I'm snapped out of my sleepiness but don't stand.

Where'd this guy get the idea that it was okay to add Sebastian's surname to mine?

"Milena Garza-Vistark."

Say my name improperly one more time. I fume.

"Milena Garza-Vistark will stand and proceed to my office." Karkaroff demands impatiently. I stand and look him right in the eye.

"I'm sure Miss Vistark would if she existed, Sir." I purse my lips. "Now, judging by the former half that name I will assume you mean myself. In which case I'd be glad to proceed to your office." Karkaroff glares at me.

"Miss Garza." He nods tensely and I grab my things, turn on the balls of my feet and walk steadily to the headmaster's office.

"You?" One of Viktor's 'friends' spits when I enter the room.

"Yes." I smile. "It would seem that I have the misfortune of travelling with," I look around the room at the brooding boys, "you." Viktor offers me his hand with odd looks from his companions and guides me to the only other seat beside his and the headmaster's.

"To show that Durmstrang has feminine beauty." He smirks.

"Or maybe above the average intellect." I shrug. The shortest of the boys - Vonn, I think - brings me a goblet of ice cold water. I take it trying not to look suspiciously at it. Karkaroff bursts though the door and takes his seat behind the large desk.

"You must be ready to leave by tomorrow evening. We will board the ship at nineteen hundred after dinner."

"Is that all?" I'm the only one to speak.

"You won't be back here this term." Karkaroff squares his shoulders.

Fantastic.

"What about lessons?"

"Our host will be coordinating schedules to match the ones you have here. I will be teaching Dark Arts on the ship because they do not teach it." Karkaroff can't straighten his back any more or he would. I nod, satisfied and stand from the seat.

"May I be dismissed?" He waves me off and I make my way back to my dormitory.

"Congratulations." Petar startles me when I'm halfway up the third flight of stairs.

"On what?"

"Being chosen for the tri-wizard tournament."

"I'm not participating."

"At least someone will be there to make us look good." Petar smiles down at me and continues to walk me up to my dormitory.

"I wish you could go with me." I sigh and we stop outside my room.

"As do I." Petar's voice is slightly constricted.

"Petar-"

"I have something important to tell you." He swallows and I find myself getting nervous. I nod in acknowledgment but he just stands there wringing his hands like they can't me dry enough. "I always thought myself a forthcoming person." He chuckles.

"You can tell me." I reassure putting one hand in his. He takes a sharp intake of breath at the contact and it's more than a few seconds before he lets it out.

"Milena-" He begins but words seem to fail him and he lowers his head to mine placing a gentle kiss to my lips. "That helped nothing." He breathes without opening his eyes.

"What is it you're trying to tell me?" I urge him to speak.

"That you're something I need to hold on to. I'll be brave for you. I like you." A slow clapping swells from the staircase and when I look I see Viktor and his henchmen.

"For Merlin's sake, what do you want?" I spit.

"You." Petar sighs sadly. "Viktor wants you."

"Then you know to not touch vat's mine." Viktor growls. Petar moves to leave but I grab his hand, pulling him close to my side.

"I'm no one's property, Krum." I huff and take Petar by the neck, bringing him down to my level and kissing him as deeply as I can. "Get used to not getting what you want." I shoot to Viktor. "And you're drunk." I glare at Petar having tasted whiskey on his tongue and caught the whiff of alcohol after a deep inhale of his breath. I leave them all standing there and enter my room without another word.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.6K 876 24
Hermione discovers that she has dark magic cursing her very life, what will Draco do to save her? WARNING: SEXUAL CONTENT! I DO NOT OWN HARRY POTTER...
243K 3.5K 48
The title says it all! Warning: Updates are hella slow.
1K 7 23
Anna Black is highly regarded by everyone as the epitome of perfection, but her brothers are privy to a secret - her magical abilities surpass those...
42 1 14
He warned her not to but how could she resist ;) she is a VK after all being evil is kind of in her blood. ;)