Ranger [ON HOLD]

By T-Arth

-- Highest Rank: #35 in Paranormal -- "Have you ever felt like a story seems to just suck you in? Like yo... More

Copyright Warning
Prologue
Chapter One - Stereotypes and Gunpowder
Chapter Two - Vortex of Words
Chapter Three - Landing Storm
Chapter Four - Fractures and Bruises
Chapter Five - Heart Monitors Suck
Chapter Six - Book Logic
Chapter Eight - The Ghoul
Chapter Nine - Mirror Reveal
Chapter Ten - Vision of Death
Chapter Eleven - ibuprofen and Politicians
Chapter Twelve - Sendra
Chapter Thirteen - Strange Deeds
Chapter Fourteen - Von
Chapter Fifteen - Homestead
Chapter Sixteen - Teenage Bookworm Desires
Chapter Seventeen - Wide Awake
Chapter Eighteen - Better Left Unsaid
Chapter Nineteen - A Familiar Face
Chapter Twenty - A Shocking Development
Chapter Twenty-one - Who is She?
Chapter Twenty-two - This is Real
Chapter Twenty-three - How and Why
Chapter Twenty-four - Take Care
Chapter Twenty-five - Chin Up
Chapter Twenty-six - Not My Forte

Chapter Seven - Bruises

1.7K 138 7
By T-Arth

I woke up alone.

The room was quiet. A strip of clear tape lay over a square of folded gauze on my inner arm; where the I.V had previously been. I wrinkled my nose as I slowly and cautiously flexed the tense limb. Why did everything have to ache so much? Most book characters barely seemed to notice any wounds, no matter how horrible.

Then immediate disappointment crashed over me like the rolling waves from the day before, and I slumped against my pillow. A feeling of total despair rolled over me so suddenly I almost felt suffocated.

I couldn't believe I'd nearly forgotten the situation I was in. Trapped. 

In a book.

"It wasn't a dream..." 

My bottom lip began trembling as realization slowly began to sink in. My eyes began that dreadful burning sensation that was only a warning for the tears to come. And the fingers of my right hand tightened their grasp on the blanket over my legs, as though in preparation for a break down.

"I cant go home..."

Seconds away from unleashing the sudden river of emotions, the sound of a door opening yanked me from the tidal wave of tears building up in my eyes. I quickly swiped my cheeks with my good hand, though there were no tears to pick up. 

To my relief, it was Ethan that walked in rather than Ranger or the doctor. His eyebrows rose in question, seeming surprised I was awake, but only for a moment before a friendly smile crossed his face.

"Doc said you'd be all set to go, but to take it easy." He informed, taking a few steps closer to my bedside. "Do you need help getting up?"

I shook my head and offered what I hoped to be an encouraging smile. I didn't trust myself to speak for the moment, and thankfully he didn't force me to. He simply grinned once more, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat.

"I'll get you something from the cafeteria. Something light... Don't want you blowing chunks in the back seat." He joked, and my smile became just a tad more real. 

"Ranger is just getting coffee and tying up some ends, then we're gonna go somewhere safe to sort this all out." And as naturally as if he had known me for years, he gently tousled my hair. 

"You just get ready to hop on out of here. I'll be back."

He strode out the door, leaving me somewhat stunned by the friendly display of affection.

Ethan had always been displayed as a kind character, although he was also one with a short and easily lit fuse. But sitting here receiving the kindness was a completely different thing from reading about it. It was almost like an older brother, or father figure.

I released a small groan as I began to push myself up, stretching my limbs wearily. I felt the smallest ache in my back, but otherwise I was alright. The stiffness was probably natural considering the situation.

I slowly slid my legs over the side of the bed, biting my lip as my right leg curled down and my toes met the ice cold floor.

Despite how I'd anticipated it, I felt no pain as I moved. I pushed myself up and shivered as cold air touched my exposed back, my shirt having slid off to expose my shoulder. I took a small peek backwards, casting a look toward my reflection in the nearly mirror like metal of the cabinet beside the bed.

I had to pull my hair aside, but I could see them clearly now without a nurse to hide part of the view. The bruises stood out clear as day against my skin. Though the metal of the cabinet wasn't a mirror, it did enough to let me view the dark patches of skin. They were near black, and faded out as they reached my hips and shoulders. Though they were darker on my left side, the right still had taken a blow.

After having only seen my face the day before, I hadn't thought the extent of the bruises to be so bad. But this looked almost crippling.

In fact it was shocking to see my usual paper pale skin this dark. At most I had only seen my skin sun burnt into a shocking red color. These though looked as though my ribs should have been crushed inward toward my lungs.

Is that why the nurse gave me a look?

I stood slowly even as I felt no pain. Making my way around the bed, I picked the bag up off of the chair and withdrew the grey hoodie inside. It was somewhat old, and frayed at the sleeves, and the pockets looked barely usable. Yet as I slid it on, the warmth was unquestionable.

Perfect.

And then the door opened.

Ethan let out a heavy sigh, leaning his head back against the cold wall behind him. With their lack of success in finding a reason for this girls sudden appearance, he was finding it hard to stay in a good mood. Usually they found something by the second day. 

They were meant to be the best out of the majority of Hunters. All of them.And where were they? Nowhere. Well, they weren't officially the best. But he could bet they were at least top five. Though, granted, it had only been a night of research he was almost positive they would find at least a small hint.

Nothing.

And Ranger... well Ranger was off in "Rangerland" where the Rangers roamed. Or at least that was what Ethan teasingly called it not long ago. 

The hole he had been staring into the wall across from them, as they waited for the girl, seemed to deepen with every passing second. And it was starting to visibly disturb those who passed by. What reason did he have for such a look? Plenty. 

"Ranger, easy. How about you get some Coffee eh? You've been up all night." Ethan suggested, glancing down the hall. Ella was taking too long for his liking as well. But that was to be expected of a woman, right? They had little to no experience.

"The Doc said she would check on her before we left. Grab me a cup, I'll wait here."  Ethan pressed, watching his friend for any sign of reaction.

Ranger simply nodded once, shoving off the wall to head toward the Hospital Cafeteria. It wasn't far. Just in the room opposite the front desk, probably so family could spend money on their way to see patients. It clearly worked as the line in front of the single register spoke. However, it was when he was passing the front desk he froze in place.

"Poor Sarah. So sweet. And did you hear how they found her? Almost like some savage animal had gobbled her up!" A slightly outraged whisper that grew louder had him wincing.

"Really? I could have sworn I saw her come in to work-"

"Oh, I know! I thought so too, I just can't imagine her gone..."

He took a few steps toward the front desk, glancing at the two gossiping women. 

And he bit back a groan as he took in the picture on the computer screen. It was a simple profile of the familiar grey haired doctor he had seen on her way to Ella's room not five minutes ago. Just their luck...
From the looks of things according to the newspaper website, it was new. Fresh.

He turned back the way he came, walking back to Ethan as fast as he could without looking suspicious. When he spotted the male he was just as he had left him.

"What? Where's the Coffee?" He frowned, as if receiving the news he had to pay double for new tires on the car.

All Ranger had to do was give him a pointed look and mouth a single word as he passed, heading straight for Ella's room, a hand placed on the hilt to the silver dagger tucked into a holder at his hip. Ethan's gaze hardened at the simple movement, and his hand moved to his own hip. Though a gun would be too loud to use in the hospital, it was still obviously a reassurance to have a weapon in the first place.

"Not bad for her first day..." Ranger muttered dryly.

A cold hand was clasped around my throat, squeezing with an iron-like grasp as I was shoved into the wall. My back connected with a loud thump, my head following soon after to crack against the hard surface with just a bit more momentum. The collision made me yelp and groan all at once, sparks of pain shooting from the base of my skull right down to the nerve endings in my fingertips. 

My bruises would not have an easy time healing.

The unattached doctor hadn't spared any time in locking the door behind herself when she entered, and the second it clicked I just knew something was about to happen. Something less than pleasant.

I had been all too correct. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.8K 705 39
Ranked 3rd in Elemental! 2-17-19 Ranked 194 out of over 5k in Powers! 12-14-18 This story is about the supernatural. No not the show silly. There are...
207K 11.3K 44
Even those who are believed to be lost can find their path changed by fate. . . Highest rankings: #1 in werewolf #1 in paranormal romance #80 in Rom...
358K 43.4K 80
Undergoing some changes. (Unedited as of now) A love story that found heaven right in middle of hell.. [Highest Rank #1 in Paranormal on 30th Novemb...
1.3M 52.4K 35
Highest ranking: #1 for what's Hot in Dominate books Highest ranking: #1 in the Gods category Highest ranking: #2 in what's hot in Mythological bo...