To Live Again {Lord of the Ri...

By CJ_Callahan

Book I of the 'To Live Again' Saga In the modern world Clara Riley experiences a life changing event...deat... More

FINALLY...BIG NEWS
Updates! Books! To Live Again's Future
NEW CONTENT GIVEAWAY
Preface
Trailer
1. The Rescue
2. A Fragile Soul
3. Wrong Impressions
4. Where is the Chocolate?
5. Welcomes, Introductions, & Regina George
6. Curiousity
7. Off to the Markets
9. The Trouble with Royalty
10. A long awaited Spark
11. A declaration
12. Pancakes & Gobdaws
13. More than a Lady
14. Romantic or Reckless?
15. The Forest Prince
16. A fateful Night
17. Human or Elf?
18. A Beautiful Beast
19. Skeletons
20. The Vivified
21. A Mother's Courage
22. Lap of the Gods
23. The Heart of Me
24. Blessings
25. The Warmth of Family
26. Kidnapping, Wine, & Elf Rituals!
27. Unified
28. Beyond all Expectation
Epilogue
Appendices
Special Thanks & Author Note
Book II Sneak Peek
Character Index
Location Index
Honourable Mentions
Disclaimer
Author Q&A
Announcement
New Year! New World!

8. Falling (literally)

18.3K 715 386
By CJ_Callahan

It is really rather chilly before the dawn, and I instinctively clasp my hands over my arms and vigorously try and rub some heat into myself. If I ever have the pleasure of meeting Tolkien, I want to advise him that yes elves are immortal, and oh yes they are very resilient, but that does not make them completely impervious to the cold. Then again I am not sure whether I am cold or just a tad nervous, as I quietly walk along the nearly empty pathways which lead to the marketplace.

I decided to wear something universal; a silvery tunic and dark grey leggings which are very sturdy in make. I sourced these more practical clothes with the help Oliel, who magically is able to find absolutely anything you need at a moment's notice. She also located me a ladies over coat style garment, which fits over said tunic because apparently going out in just your tunic is considered a little underdressed. It is in more neutral shades of green and brown and is fastened down the front with silvery buttons, which on closer inspection are little leaves. It is padded in all the right areas just in case I am expected to wrestle something, then I shouldn't be too badly bruised in the process. The best laugh was the knee high suede and leather boots, in which I had to get Oliel to tie them because I was useless at it; frankly these boots are on so tight they will never ever come off!

I eventually round the last bend and make out Thranduil standing, as promised, alone and with no entourage. He is not so wrapped up as he was yesterday, in fact he is dressed really rather casual, something I am not used too. I am used to fine robes and loose fitting but exquisite tunics, clothing that practically screams; 'I am a Prince...hear me roar.' However this is the first time I have seen him appear so normal, for want of a better description, he could be any random male elf wandering around in the early hours before dawn, except I would know that long mass of platinum locks anywhere.

Though his hair is scraped back, secured and tucked down the back of his cloak, there are still silky flyaway strands that are loose and long about his face and shoulders. His clothing is dark green, almost black in the dim light, tighter fitting than his usual apparel more streamlined - the kind of clothing used to face elements. As I get closer I spy a bow and quiver strapped to his back and the glint of something shiny at his hip...a knife perhaps? I think maybe we are busting out of these caves, and suddenly I am full of excitement!

"Good Morning Clara," he calls in welcome and saunters towards me, "So you managed to leave the warmth of your bed then?"

"I did!" I answer dryly, "but I see no breakfast, you promised?"

He chuckles and nods his head in the direction of an opening in the rock, something I did not see the day before and how I didn't is beyond me. It is an entrance out of the caves, quite large and I can see the dark sky turning paler. I automatically start trotting towards it, I am practically tingling with anticipation for I haven't seen the outside world in so long. Thranduil gets my drift and follows after me, though I reckon he has just been waiting on me to catch on - aw ever the gentile noble elf.

The two of us quickly scale the steps and rocks to the entrance and I gasp in mixture of relief and joy at the sight.

On the mouth of the natural opening I stand to see the forest stretching out before me, it's size is so incredible that there appears to be no end to it as it flows right to the limits of my vision. I hear water gushing to my left and right, and make out the naturally falling waterfalls as they pummel down from above our heads. I skip as close to the edge as I am brave enough to dare, and glance upwards to make out the twisting vines of ivy and growing things, all crawling towards the light of day, towards the sun...I have missed the sun! I hear myself laugh breathlessly as I daringly inch across the distance to catch the falling water in my hands, from a smaller less forceful waterfall, it is so clean and glistening that I instantly cup it to my mouth and sup it.

"This. Is. Incredible!" I shout over the din to Thranduil, who is standing right at the very edge of the rock. I cannot even fathom how the rock supports his weight but he is watching me with the widest grin that makes me blush.

"This is only the beginning Clara, and you are already awestruck!" He laughs and outstretches his hand towards me.

I hesitantly look at his hand and around at the massive natural structure, the rocks jut away and there are no steps or stairs, I can't do this! Is he mad? You would need safety harnesses to scale this thing. Yet I find myself taking his hand and fully trusting him not to let me plummet to my doom, I am insane! This is hands down the craziest thing I have ever done! Thranduil smirks at me and I guess he sees the panic in my face.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask timidly as he pulls me closer to him and takes a firmer grip of my waist, his touch making my heart rate accelerate and I swallow hard.

"Upwards, there is a ledge a few feet up and across from here, it is perfect for watching the sunrise and truly seeing the splendour of Greenwood," he speaks as he swivels me in the direction we intend to go. I feel his lips come level with my ear and his voice is soft and encouraging; "It is alright I have you Clara. You will not fall; this is as easy as breathing I promise."

"Sure it is!" I scoff but he only chuckles and pushes me forward, and not even gently. I guess he knows the only way he will get me to move is to force me.

Though as I step out onto the rocks and let my feet find their place, I realise that my every step seems more secure. If I feel off balanced in the slightest my body corrects itself almost instinctually. It doesn't need to be forced or told to do this it just does what it was made to do. It also helps that Thranduil never lets go, his hands are sure and his feet never misstep, at times he stays behind me or at others he steps in front of me and guides me. It is not until I see the grassy covered ledge about ten feet in front of me that I start moving a little faster across the narrow rocks. I realise there is nothing to stop me toppling down the twenty feet sheer drop but Thranduil's strong grip but I trusted him this far. When I reach the flat landing I turn to smile triumphantly at the Prince, but I am shocked to find him standing only halfways across the narrow path, smiling proudly at me;

"See, it is not so hard," he grins as he lops across the distance between us and gives me a meaningful look; "The fear is in your own head Clara, you are elf kind this is normal for you, you just need to let your body remember."

"You tricked me!" I accuse as he settles himself down on the ground and stares out at the view.

"Correction, I helped you," he replies with a smirk. "Now stop talking and enjoy this sunrise with me."

I sigh and huffily drop down beside him, that was completely uncalled for; he could have let me know he was going to do that! What happens if I had of fallen, I bet he wouldn't be so smug then! A small and more logical voice reminds me I would not have fallen, firstly because Thranduil would never be that careless and secondly because Thranduil was right - oh damn that voice I don't want him to be right! There is no living with him when he thinks he is right!

"Clara stop thinking it is very distracting," he mutters and watches me out the side of his eye, a coy smile playing on his lips.

"Well excuse me for-"

"Hush, you must listen!"

I glare at him but do as I'm told and when I do I hear the glorious sounds of the awakening forest. The birds that have been singing so beautifully suddenly reach their deafening crescendo, as the sky turns vibrant pink and gold with the hazy yellow sun slowly peeking through the gaps in the tall firs, which are even taller than the ledge we sit on. My jaw drops and I slowly stand to my feet, this is not something you just sit by and leisurely watch, this is something you stand for. You stand in the presence of creation and the powerful majesty of nature, it deserves such respect. The songs of the many birds are incredible, so much more perfect than any sound you could make on an instrument. Yet there is something else on the air, a new sound - breathy and like nothing I have ever heard before - a strange new frequency.

"Can you hear them Clara?" Thranduil whispers in my ear as he comes to stand behind me.

"What am I hearing?" I murmur back in confusion.

"The voices of the forest," comes his reply and it is almost said in a tone of reverence.

"The trees," I gasp in shock, "They sing, they actually sing."

"What do they tell you?"

"I don't know...I am not sure?"

"Listen with your spirit not your ears."

I stand quietly for a moment not entirely sure what he means, how do you listen with your spirit? What is your spirit?

I feel his hands on my shoulders and he whispers something beautiful in his own language, and in that moment I can hear more clearly. No! hear is not the right word, I feel more clearly. The breathy sounds suddenly becoming sharper and filled with purpose, they are celebrating life, they are sighing with contentment as the sun fills their beings with fresh life and they are giving praises back to a greater entity. Slowly I feel the pressure of Thranduil's hands leave my shoulders and the voices grow quieter again but still very much present. I turn to look at him questionably, that was a significant experience I could not have done that on my own;

"How?" is the only thing I manage to say and he smiles fondly?

"Did you hear it?" he asks softly.

"Yes, yes I did they were praising the source of their life, they were joyous! I don't think I've heard such purity before," I ramble out, my head completely blown off by the sensation.

He just smiles mysteriously and nods his head in agreement, before turning his attention back to the rising sun. I narrow my eyes and boldly step closer to him, I want to know how I was able to understand that when I couldn't before;

"I know you did something just there, what was it?" I ask calmly, he glances at me lazily and sighs; "You said something to me and I want to know what?"

"I awakened your slumbering spirit," he replies and I frown prompting him to elaborate; "I used the strength in mine to call to yours."

"That sounds personal," I mumble, "why?"

"An elf does not experience their world with just their physical senses; they do so with their fea or spirit, it is our connection to each other, to our world, and things unseen."

"And mine was feeling a bit sleepy?"

Thranduil chuckles gently and nods; "You could say that...when a spirit is hurt it hides away until another calls it out."

"And that is what you did?" I ask shyly, this is all sort of heavy, I never thought much about philosophical things before. I just assumed age and life experience would eventually bring wisdom. I did not think for one second you could be born with an innate ability to be so spiritual.

"Only a little," he answers softly; "I am not much of a healer but I do have power enough for that."

"Power?" My eyes pop at the statement, "What like magic?"

Thranduil gives me a look that suggests I am asking too many questions, but the lightness in his eyes betrays him, he is enjoying this and my curiosity amuses him. He walks to the edge of the ledge and observes the drop and without looking up, he answers me;

"Magic is such a childish term, but yes in essence you could call it that."

"Can you show me?" I swear I am completely enthralled by him and even a little frightened, and I know I am pushing my luck but I can't help it, the mystery is killing me. He glances up at me and a perplexed look crosses his features;

"I just did," is his simple reply, I go to argue the point but he cuts me off; "You know the thrill of elven magic is nothing compared to the thrill of pushing your own physical abilities...trust me, it is far more rewarding."

I do not get to say another word as I stupidly allow him to take my hand and guide me to the edge of the rock. I see that the crystal clear pool of water below before it cuts off into various streams, which I assume all come together as one large river at some point. Suddenly I get the sickening feeling about what Thranduil implied about the thrills in physically pushing yourself. I gulp and look at him with a horrified and disbelieving expression;

"No Thranduil!" I squeak and attempt to tug away from him; "There has to be another way down?"

"Of course there is but it would take too long," he mutters, "besides I fancy a swim."

"Please don't!" I beg uselessly as he tightly wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me flush to himself. I let out a strangled whimper and practically embed my nails in his shoulders. Oh no no no no; I am going to die here to today, why am I letting him do this...do I want to die? Why is there an insane part of my brain that is letting this psychotic elf do this to me? Could it be that there is no way I am getting out of his vice like grip, dammit Clara stop being so trusting!

"I hate you," I muffle into his chest and feel his throaty laughter, before my feet are swept out from under me and I'm in his arms. I will not look, if I look I will have heart failure.

"You can swim?" he asks and I peek up at him with one eye, the other tightly shut.

"If I say no will you abandon this insane notion?" I ask and cross my fingers so tightly they hurt.

"Now Clara, what would ever make you think I am that considerate?" He answers and I feel him make the slightest movement forward.

"Thranduil Nooo!" I howl as I feel the sudden weightlessness and the roar of wind whipping past my ears.

The gravity separates us momentarily and my stomach hits my mouth. I cannot express in words the utter fear and the complete freedom that is the sensation of falling. It is over in seconds, as we crash into the crystal water below, the feeling like smashing through glass only I don't feel pain just shock. The water envelopes me in its brisk coolness, it is invigorating and utterly terrifying all at once. I feel the sensation of a grip of strength around my waist again and soon I am breaking through the water, gasping for air and thrashing about in mild delirium. I am breathless and wild eyed as I register that I am clinging to my captor for grim death.

"You eejit! You complete and utter eejit!" I choke out and shake violently from the adrenaline. Thranduil does nothing but laugh and keep me afloat, for I am too traumatised to do that myself.

"I enjoyed that!" he cackles breathlessly and I scowl at him.

"Which part?" I ask indignantly, "The bit where you almost killed me or the part where I drown you?"

"Drown me?" He asks but it is a little too slow, and I successfully crash a miniature tidal wave of water over his unsuspecting head with a slap of my arm. Well it is the closest thing to being able to punch him that I'll get!

He coughs and splutters for air, kicking himself away from me before I reign down another torrent of water. His laughing intensifies and so does mine as we engage in a water fight, my earlier disagreement with him momentarily forgotten, though I am loathed to admit that jump was the most fun I have ever had. Now I understand the kick people get when they happily throw themselves out of aeroplanes, it is actually an addictive feeling.

Once we have both completely exhausted each other by chasing ourselves around the water, I eventually swim to the bank and Thranduil hoists me helpfully out of the water - only dropping me back in a handful of times. Together we stroll through the woods...drying off in the late summer heat as we go.

The forest is beautiful; enchanting, majestic, and jaw droopingly beautiful. It is an incredible place and I rush about from tree to tree, or spin in circles looking skyward trying to fathom just how tall the trees really are. I stop at every flower, shrub, and fern asking a zillion questions, which Thranduil patiently answers and if I miss something he calls me back to see it.

On our travels he teaches me the fruits I can eat and how to forage for wild foods, which is what we dine on, nothing fancy just natural sustenance. Some of the berries are so large and taste like nothing I have ever tried before, and the hazelnuts are my favourite, in fact I don't think my mouth ever stops.

Thranduil helps me listen carefully to the trees and I draw so much peacefulness from their ancient tranquillity, that I wonder how I ever lived such a deprived and barely living existence before. I feel a deep and profound change begin within me, for the first time since I arrived here my body begins to feel like my own, I think I am beginning to mend and at last feel in control of myself. Yet it is easy to here, in the rooted and steady heartbeat of the forest, you can be nothing but connected to yourself here.

I don't know how long we have been walking or where exactly we are when Thranduil stops and points to a tree. I give him a confused look and he laughs;

"There is a lovely view from this tree," he answers and I sigh - he wants me to climb a tree. "Do not give me that look, you scaled a rock face and jumped from high ledge today, Clara you can climb this tree."

"I was tricked into scaling a rock face and forcefully thrown from that ledge," I correct him and he stifles more laughter; "But I'll try it if you want."

With much huffing and puffing and several leg ups, Thranduil successfully gets me into the branches. I am not so confident about this tree climbing business and hug every single branch, as we clamber up the trunk. Thranduil makes it look so effortless as he gracefully swings and vaults from branch to branch. I hate him and his perfect perfectness! After a few minutes we make it into body of the tree, and I can see why he wanted me to see this. For what I think are leaves suddenly turn to butterflies when we disturb their resting; they take to wing and flutter and swirl around us. I gasp and laugh breathlessly at the sea of glittering colours of greens, blues, reds and coppers.

For the longest moment we stand in the branches and I gape in awe at the sight, eventually though I register Thranduil watching me and I stop to meet his gaze. I blush at the almost adoring look he gives me; I don't understand it no-one has ever looked at me like that before. He eventually chuckles and breaks my trance like state;

"Come, we better make for home before sunset or Legolas will not be impressed by either one of us."

I reluctantly nod and try and figure out how long we have been gone, it doesn't seem like hours, and in fact this day seems to have flown by. Thranduil effortlessly drops down the branches, pausing every now and again to assist me or tease me about my slowness. Once we near the bottom he lands on the forest floor and tells me to make the rest of the way down myself, without his help.

I think I am doing quite well up until my foot gets caught on a well-positioned stem of climbing ivy. I hear the shrill yell I let out and know I am going to fall...oh nice way to end the day! I am furious at myself I had done so well. My balance goes and I brace myself for the nasty collision with the ground.

"Clara!"

Is the only thing Thranduil manages to shout before I collide with him! I feel the air huff out of my lungs and the sensation of tumbling. I also hear the unmistakable sound of someone being winded as their back hits the ground with a nasty thud, and I'm pretty sure, that because that wasn't me it was most likely Thranduil. Why would I think that? Well because I am pretty sure I am sprawled on top of him.

Nice Clara, effortlessly awkward as always, oh I could crawl into a hole right now.

For a few disturbing minutes I stay face down in his chest, hoping against hope that I have not knocked him unconscious. Mercifully I feel him start to laugh softly at our new predicament, and I am glowing scarlett;

"Are you alright?" He asks between wheezing laughter, but there is a hint of worry in his tone that touches me.

"Mmmhhmm," I mumble into his chest, I sigh and slowly begin to push myself up, unfortunately at the exact same time Thranduil decides to as well.

When I lift my head my heart stops and my breathing ceases, because I am a hairs breadth from his face; our noses brush and the slightest ill-timed movement will have our lips meeting. I can't do a single thing but stare at those lips, so pale and full, flawed only by the knitting scars that draw the left side of his lip downwards, and the fragile newly formed skin that forms his recovering face. I absently wonder what it would be like to kiss him, just to know what those lips feel like; his breath is so sweet and inviting that it would be so easy to just tilt my head slightly to the side and let the inevitable happen.

He doesn't move or go to pull away either, but his breath quickens and I know this sensation. I've been here before a few times in my more foolish days. That pause before the first kiss, the uncertainty as to whether or not the other person wants the same thing, or if you are just imagining it all. The moment when it is all a bit fuzzy and you're not quite sure what is happening? One minute you're completely present in your surroundings and the next you can barely breathe properly.

There is a slight moment of indecision and I hear Thrandui's breath hitch a little before his lips graze mine. This throws me, I am frozen and I can't quite fathom if that was the beginnings of a kiss or an accidently bump of the lips. The longest second of my life passes and I know I should react, if I don't react then he Is going to think I don't want this, when I really, really do. Kiss him Clara, kiss him, oh for the love of all that is good on this earth stop being such a coward and kiss him!

"I am so sorry Clara," I hear him say and I feel him pull his head back, "That was out of order."

I blew it! How could I do that? Clara you deserve to be forever alone!

He wanted to kiss me and I clamped up like the fool I am. I blink robotically and shake my head trying to find my voice to tell him it was not out of order, and if he wants I'll fall from the tree again and we can replay this whole scene and get the desired outcome, but instead all I stammer out is;

"S-s-sorry that was my fault."

Thranduil helps me to my feet and brushes me down; looking very upset with himself as he furiously shakes his head. I have well and truly lost the chance now, I may as well attempt to salvage what is left of our friendship;

"Well that was close," I giggle and he stops his fussing to look at me warily for a moment, "One wrong move and you could have kissed me."

His brows furrow in confusion and I keep my fingers and toes crossed that he'll believe me. I want him to think I did not know that was an attempted kiss, and it was merely an accidental brush of the lips. Thankfully it works and he quickly rearranges his expression into a breezy smile, but I catch the briefest hint of regret in his eyes and I cannot fathom why on earth he would be that annoyed about missing an opportunity of kissing me. I am certain I am no seductress and no-one has ever commended my lip-locking ability. But I am just glad we can brush over this like mature adults, besides it was really only one of those heat of the moment things, I am sure when the rush of hormones stop assaulting me I will laugh about this. In fact I already feel a bit ridiculous over it, I was romanticising the moment again, falling for a fantasy and forgetting my reality.

Years of practice at avoiding social faux pas's and just being a natural at brushing over embarrassments, means Thranduil quickly takes control of the situation and we are acting pretty much like normal again. His smooth and easy conversations make the time pass like lightening and soon we find ourselves at the forest end of a bridge that connects the King's Halls with the wood. So this is the official entrance to the Woodland realm, very flashy and almost a tad threatening!

I lop happily beside Thranduil as we cross the bridge and he points on the craftsmanship of the gates, he tells me that an enchantment lies upon them meaning those who do not bring good will cannot enter. He playfully warns me this is a test, if I can enter then I have proven my allegiance to his Father and his people. I causally laugh this off but suddenly question my own motives, thankfully my intentions are deemed pure and a thunder bolt does not shoot from the sky and strike me down. We reach the gates and the lightly armed guards stand to full attention as we approach, Thranduil does not even blink as we pass through; I on the other hand gawp shamelessly at the devotion and respect written on the solders faces. I feel I should say thank you or acknowledge their presence, but something tells me this is not etiquette so I just stick close to Thranduil and copy his behaviours.

It is only now that I register that I am in the company of a Prince, the relaxed and pleasant temperament that I have become accustomed to throughout the day, is replaced with a cool and composed exterior. He is suddenly unreadable and distant and this mask does not slip until we reach home. Standing in the archways of the entrance to my little part of this grand and intricate set of chambers, I begrudgingly accept that the best day of my existence so far has come to an end;

"Did you find today helpful," Thranduil asks with a hopeful smile.

"Helpful?" I laugh, "Your highness I cannot express the wonders this day has done for my soul!"

"Thranduil; to you Clara I am only Thranduil," he adds and stretches out to squeeze my shoulder comfortingly. "I am glad, maybe we can make this a common occurrence."

"Really?" I ask and raise my eyebrow, "You sure you're not too busy being all powerful to go climbing trees with a clumsy elf?"

He stifles a laugh and purses his lips in thought for a moment before answering; "I believe I can make time to help a hopeless case."

"How very charitable of you!" I say causally but can't help the massive smile I give him; "But really, you promise we can do this again? I mean I really enjoyed being thrown off a cliff and would totally do that again!"

"It was hardly a cliff," he sniggers, "but yes I would love to throw you off ledges again!"

"Eeee!" I excitedly sing and before Thranduil knows what has hit him I throw my arms around him, in a completely unexpected and possibly inappropriate gesture! "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

It takes him a second to react to my burst of affection, but thankfully I feel him return the embrace and it is not half heated or one of those weak as water hugs, it is a proper 'affirming our friendship,' type hug. I hear his throaty chuckle and his voice in my ear;

"Guren glassui Clara!"

I pull back and give him a questioning look but before he can answer I hear a very familiar voice, which admittedly makes us both sigh fondly;

"Clara!" Legolas shouts as he rockets down the corridor and then when he reaches us stops and glances curiously at his father; "Ada?"

Yet before we can even explain ourselves he shakes his head and sighs dramatically; "Clara you have been away ages and ages, Oliel is not as fun as you, she doesn't know any good stories and she cannot dance! Where did you go and why did you leave me?"

"Aw honey I'm sorry," I mumble feeling incredibly guilty for my selfish little day off; "I was just out in the woods, I promise I won't disappear again without a proper warning."

"Without me?" He looks completely devastated and I vow to never leave him again without his complete permission!

"Legolas!" Thranduil laughs and crouches down to his son and ruffles his golden hair; "Stop that! Clara is allowed time to herself too, besides you know you are not allowed in the woods without me or your grandfather."

"I know," he sighs and pouts; "Ada where did you go today?"

I start to laugh as Thranduil frowns and shakes his head, truly there was no escaping this we were in a lot of trouble. I decide to take control of the situation and accept the brunt of Legolas' fury;

"Your Ada was helping me find my away around the woods," I answer honestly and I watch as his little face puckers in disappointment.

I know in his young mind I am his friend and the thought of sharing me with anyone else does not sit well with him, yet he is old enough to understand he cannot question his father either. Thranduil registers this also and I catch the flash of an idea light his eyes;

"Yes I was, and Clara and I were just discussing the prospect of another trip into the woods soon," he speaks evenly and Legolas literally looks so betrayed at the very notion; "With you of course."

The kid's eyes light up instantly and he starts bouncing about energetically;

"Really Ada I can come?" He practically sings and Thranduil nods, there is a shriek of victory from the child and he suddenly whips down the corridor, hollering for Oliel to inform her he will be going on an adventure in the woods with his Ada and I.

"Smooth," I comment and nod my head in respect as I glance at the indulgent expression of a completely manipulated father; "I have to say I thought that was gonna end in tears."

"It was close," he muses and tilts his head thoughtfully to the side; "You know I have fought many a battle but , raising him is the most difficult one I have ever fought."

"You know it doesn't stop," I reply and he sighs, "It is all great now he is still a baby, just wait until he is a youth and he absolutely hates you for no other reason but the simple fact that you exist."

"Clara?"

"Hmm?"

"That is terrifying!"

I turn to look at the paled face of the prince, he looks genuinely worried and I kink up in a fit of giggles. I clap my hands on his shoulder and guide him forwards;

"Don't worry you'll do fine," I laugh gently and squeeze his shoulders, "I don't think anybody ever died from being an Ada."

"There is always a first," he mutters and I snigger; "I do not know why you are laughing, you are his nursemaid."

"I could leave you know!"

"You would not dare!"

"Might just."

"You even consider it and I shall chain you up!"

The two of use erupt into a further fit of laughter, our cackling drawing the attention of Oliel as she saunters into the hallway and observes us curiously;

"Who is chaining who up?"

Nice! It just got all fifty shades up in here and there is no way I am going to stop choking with laughter now. The fact that neither she nor Thranduil fully grasp my reaction only fuels my embarrassed giggling, and I quickly divert my gaze and skip to Oliel's side. Oliel shakes her head at me and then smiles fondly at Thranduil;

"I have just set Legolas out his supper, there is plenty more if you wish to stay?"

"I really should go attend to something official," he replies and then smirks; "before the King believes me to be missing."

"Oh come on." I interject, "Stay, have something to eat, as a thank you for putting up with me all day?"

Thranduil has the briefest of silent debates before he nods; "Oh alright since you asked so politely."

I smile broadly, more than a little delighted that he has agreed to stay for I am not quite ready for this day to end. I know he is probably breaking a lot of rules to appease me but I am thankful for it, and I only hope he doesn't get into too much trouble.

"Quick! Hide the wine," Oliel hisses as she dashes off and Thranduil strides after her making all sorts of threats if she even dare withhold it from him. Well this is going to be an interesting evening, but I am just glad I get to hang onto this happiness for a little while longer.

***AUTHORS NOTE***

Elvish Translations

"Guren glassui!" - Thank you from my heart!

Awesome guys, that you to everyone reading! Elf_and_an_agent  and Tammyt70  and of course Raider-k foe the convos and comments. It is inspiring! Please review or vote or both...I absolutely love nothing else but fangirling with everyone.

Also Raider-k manipulated me into writing a separate book full of little chapters dedicated to Thranduil's first person POV. Something I've never felt confident in doing...so I really need to thank her for the push. Check it out if you wish: 'To Live Again: In her Hands.'

Thank yoooou everyone xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 4.1K 41
Oғ ɪᴄᴇ, sᴛᴀʀʟɪɢʜᴛ, ᴍᴀɢɪᴄ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀɪᴇs. Oғ ᴀ Fᴀʟʟ, ᴀ ᴛʜʀᴏɴᴇ, ᴀ ᴡʜɪᴛᴇ ғɪʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ᴠɪɢᴏʀᴏᴜs sᴘʀɪɴɢ. Oғ ɪᴍᴍᴏʀᴛᴀʟ ʟᴏᴠᴇ, ʙᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ʟᴏss, ᴀɴᴅ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ɪɴ ʙ...
10.3K 242 34
Discover the incredible story of a girl who, together with Thorin's Company embarks on a journey through the Middle-Earth to regain the former house...
424K 18.6K 57
WATTYS SHORTLIST 2018 The heart desires the unreachable. A rare creature born of Middle Earth must undo the damage of her predecessor, who helped for...
217K 9.9K 41
***BOOK II of the To Live Again Saga*** Clara has overcome much to finally find her happily ever after...but when is anything happily ever after in M...