You took my heart, could I pl...

By TheCookieMonster

16-year-old Elizabeth Johnson is far from your average teenager. Fighting depression, she has to get through... More

[1] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[2] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[3] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[4] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[5] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[6] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[7] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[8] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[9] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[10] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[11] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[12] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[13] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[14] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[15] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[16] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[17] You took my heart, could I please have it back? SPECIAL: The Gig
[18] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[19] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[20] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[21] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[22] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[23] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[24] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[25] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[26] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[27] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[28] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[29] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[30] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[31] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[32] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[33] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[34] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[35] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[36] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[37] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[38] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[39] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[41] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[42] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[43] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[44] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[45] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[46] You took my heart, could I please have it back? SPECIAL: London
[47] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[48] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[49] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[50] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[51] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[52] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[53] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[54] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[55] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[56] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[57] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
[58] You took my heart, could I please have it back?
Epilogue

[40] You took my heart, could I please have it back?

10.4K 132 67
By TheCookieMonster

Chapter 40

.:Recap:.

Why did I let myself fall for him? I should have known he would return to his bipolarity. I should have known it would only hurt me. But I couldn't turn back now; it was too late. My mind was completely and utterly infatuated with him.

I just wanted to ask him to stop being so bipolar, to just be my friend, if nothing else. But that was about as hopeful as asking him, "You took my heart, could I please have it back?"

.:Story Start:.

Now that I had fallen in love with James I couldn’t get him off my mind. It was ten, twenty, a hundred times worse than before; I found myself craving to even see him just one more time. When I was around him I couldn't look away, when I wasn't around him, I felt almost hollow.

I honestly hated being in love. It took over every rational thought and your whole body; it corrupted your mind and made you do inexplicable things. It made you feel strong, and yet vulnerable. It was impossible to run away from, no matter how much I may try to force myself to hate him.

"Elizabeth Johnson!" I jerked upright as my teacher called my name. "Care to tell us the answer?"

"Uh…"

The teacher glowered and moved on, and I continued to daydream about James, as unwilling as I was.

The day passed sickeningly slowly. I was always aware of James when he was near; whenever Nicola wasn't around I would gape at him like a fish, whenever she was I would refrain from punching her face in.

But finally the end of the day came, and, relieved, I stepped out of the school. I fell into step with Lily and we started to walk home, chatting about random things. She came over to my house and we went up to my room.

We helped each other with homework for a while before Lily said cheerfully,

"It's your birthday tomorrow!" I rolled my eyes.

"I know," I replied. "I do know when my own birthday is,"

"You didn't the last time I reminded you…"

"Whatever," I said, waving my hand at her, and she poked her tongue out.

"Anyway, I got you a present!" I arched an eyebrow.

"Really? What is it?"

"You'll find out tomorrow," she said, tapping her nose. "When we-" she caught herself and zipped her lips, looking horrified.

"When we what?"

"Don't worry…"

"Lily,"

"It doesn't matter!" she exclaimed, and I looked at her suspiciously, but I could tell she wasn't going to spill the beans any more.

After a few more hours of mucking around at my house, Lily finally went home and I pondered upon her words. What would we be doing tomorrow? What had she planned for my birthday? I was getting worried.

When I went downstairs to see what was for dinner, I saw that nothing was cooking. I frowned and looked at dad, who just smiled at me mischievously.

"Early birthday treat," he said. "I'm taking you to McDonalds, as I have been told you haven't been in a while…"

At this, I smiled brightly. Any other teen would think eh, McDonalds, but the last time I went I was about six. It wasn't much of a treat - just a happy meal with my dad. Excuse the pun. It didn't need to be a treat, I was just happy with him again.

"Why an early one?" I asked. "Why not tomorrow?"

"Because your friends have something planned for you tomorrow…"

I perked up; so it wasn’t just Lily with something to hide. I decided I'd get Alex or Kyle to tell me at school tomorrow, because getting Lily to tell me was like an ant trying to get an elephant to move.

We left shortly afterwards, still in casual clothing; it was McDonalds, for crying out loud. Strange as it was, I was looking forward to dinner, even if it was at a fast food place. I always looked forwards to dinner now because it was pretty much the only time of day dad and I got time together.

The car ride was short and the restaurant was busy when we arrived. The tables were packed with screaming little kids, boisterous teenagers, parents and random builders getting their dinner, and the atmosphere was hot and humid.

We ordered at the front where there were posters showing the burgers etc. I ordered a normal burger with coke and fries. Then we squeezed onto a table at the edge of the room and sat opposite each other, beginning to munch on our food.

As we ate we people spotted, having a laugh, watching as a guy with a bright pink Mohican and his friend with a green one walked in.

"Just your type, eh?" dad chuckled. I hit him playfully.

"Hell no," I said as he laughed.

"How about him?" he asked, casually flicking a hand at some ugly builder guy sitting near us. I just gave him a look.

"Dad," I said sternly, barely able to contain my laughter. He smirked and continued to 'match make' me with someone, while I laughed at him.

"How about him?" he said randomly, pointing in the corner to some fat balding guy. "He looks a good 'size' for you," he said with a wink. It took me a moment to realize that he was being dirty.

"Dad!" I exclaimed, shocked as he laughed.

"So how's the band?" he asked, changing the subject. I smiled. "It's good. I like the start they've made on the new song and I should learn my part pretty soon. I can't wait to hear it on electric guitar!"

"Great! Will you be performing it?"

"I don't know, maybe," I said, making a mental note to ask someone about it.

We finished our really unhealthy but tasty dinner and then left, too full for dessert. We left still laughing and joking, my dad still making jokes about me with random guys. I couldn't help but feel elated.

My dad and I were normal again.

{~Unknown POV~}

I kept the hat over my face as I strolled casually down the road, trying not to look conspicuous. If anyone recognized me then I was in deep shit.

As I walked, I saw a door open and a man and his teenage daughter stepped out of the door. They both looked vaguely familiar; an old friend and his daughter? My mind froze but I kept walking, my eyes widening. An old friend. Steve.

It looked exactly like him, and his daughter was an exact replica of her mother. Same chocolate brown hair, high cheekbones, delicate features. Only her eyes were different; her fathers'.

But why was Steve suddenly happy again? For he was undoubtedly happy, talking to his daughter, smiling. The last time I had seen him he had been an alcoholic, drowning his sorrows in liquor. I was glad I hadn't done the same in his situation.

Frowning, I decided to follow them. They got into the car and so I hailed a taxi and got in. We were just behind them, so when they stopped outside McDonalds I was quick to follow them. They ordered their meals and sat down while I just stood in a corner, watching them.

They were obviously happy. He seemed to be taking the mick out of her as she hit his arm and scowled playfully, and he just chuckled in return. They were there for maybe twenty minutes before leaving again, and I followed them again. I wanted to know why he was happy again.

As they got into their car again I scowled darkly. He would not get away with being happy, he didn't deserve it. Time for some revenge.

{~Liz POV~}

~*~*~

When I woke up the next morning, the first thing that went through my head was - it's my birthday today. Then a huge grin spread across my face and I pulled myself out of bed and hurried downstairs, eager to greet my dad.

"Happy birthday, kid," he said with a grin, handing me a present with a kiss on the forehead. I smiled brightly and started tearing off the wrapping paper. He chuckled and started to make me some breakfast while I tore off the last strip of cello-tape. When I opened it I found a book.

It was old and battered with creased corners and a felt-tip scribble along one of the sides. Confused, I turned it over and read the blurb. Then dad said,

"It's the book I read to you when you were a child," then took it out of my hands and started reading it out.

I started to smile. I remembered that book, I remembered my dad's rhythmic voice reading it to me, I remembered it almost word for word. Dad stopped reading after a couple of paragraphs and met my happy eyes.

We had breakfast and then I got ready for school and left with him. He talked animatedly as he drove me to the school, and I talked just as animatedly back. When I arrived, I made Lily jump and she screamed and turned around.

"Liz! You bitch," she said with a grin. "Happy birthday!!!"

I laughed. "Thanks, Lily," I said, also grinning. A chorus of other people wished me happy birthday, giving me presents and mostly cards, making me feel happy.

James regarded me with calm eyes, yet there was a hint of something that I couldn't put my finger on. I went noticeably quiet as everyone finished fussing over me and I started thinking about James again. I found myself staring at the floor, letting him take over my brain, as usual.

The bell rang and I almost zombie-walked towards form, behind Tom and James, staring at his back, as usual. He hadn't said happy birthday, but just seeing him again was good enough for me. I shook my head, knowing these thoughts were wrong, but they would not leave my head.

We arrived in form and I sighed at the table. Why must it be me that gets all this crap? Why did it have to be me that dreamed, fantasized about a boy that really wasn't worth it a lot of the time? Why, why, why?!!

I wanted to scream, tell him my feelings for him, do anything to take the heavy feeling in my stomach away, but obviously I was never going to tell him. It would be stupid, pointless, and only hurt me more. I had to put up with it, that was all.

First lesson was music. I continued to work on my song, still thinking the lyrics were rubbish even if the melody was decent. My mind was only half there anyway; the rest of it was on the other side of the room where James was sitting on a chair holding his guitar, sometimes strumming and singing, sometimes just chatting to Tom.

By break time I was mentally exhausted. I had realized I was in love with him only three days ago and I was already finding it almost impossible to cope. In class my mind would be on him rather than the school work, when I was trying to tune into a conversation with my friends he would always distract me.

I sat with my friends outside by the tree, between Alex and Kyle, trying to keep up with the conversation. However my gaze kept drifting over to James who was sitting opposite me, with Nicola in his lap, kissing her neck. It made me want to throw up and knock the stuffing out of her at the same time; a fierce, jealous roar burst inside of me whenever they even spoke.

When the bell rang for fourth lesson I walked drearily beside Alex, feeling really ill and disheartened. He seemed to notice I was upset and slung an arm over my shoulders.

"Hey," he said softly, tilting my chin slightly. I looked into his pale blue eyes and saw compassion, anxiety. "What's up?"

I shook my head, looking back at the floor, really not wanting to tell him. I remembered the last time he had reacted when I hinted I might have feelings for him, when we went skiing, and I knew he'd never forgive me if he found out I was in love with his cousin. Another reason to get over him, before Alex found out.

"Liz please, it's your birthday, lighten up," he said with a smile. That suddenly reminded me.

"Hey Alex, what do you guys have planned for me tonight? Dad said you were going to do something,"

"You really think I'm going to tell you?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. I pouted.

"Please?" I asked, dragging out the sound, staring at him hopefully. He opened and closed his mouth for a minute before looking away.

"Don't look at me like that…"

I continued to plead, whine, tug on his sleeve but he refused to tell me, not looking at me for he knew he would give in. He was just about to go inside his classroom when he looked at me briefly to say goodbye. His eyes were kind, loving, sweet, and in that moment I was reminded of how much he had helped me and how much he deserved my love rather than James.

So I stood on tiptoe and pressed my lips to his cheek.

He froze and looked at me, shocked, but I simply smiled and waved before heading to class, feeling warm and satisfied inside.

Maybe I could get over James after all.

~*~*~

Dress up nice for tonight ;) xx

I sighed as I saw the text Lily sent me. Alex still hadn't told me what was happening, but if I was supposed to be dressing up nicely I presumed we were going somewhere nice. I went to my wardrobe and got out the dress I always wore when I went out with dad and then had a shower before getting ready.

It was seven o'clock, Alex, Kyle and Lily should be here at any minute. I stood in the living room, fretting about my appearance, wondering if I was nice enough, too nice, what people would think, etc. Then I heard the knock on the door. Dad went to answer it and I took a deep breath before heading into the hall.

Lily grinned and waved at me. Her halter neck red dress came to her knee and shimmered slightly in the light. I thought she looked really pretty. I smiled and waved back, said goodbye to dad and stepped out of the door. Mrs Collins, Alex and Kyle were all in the car, the boys talking, her tapping the steering wheel.

I opened the door and squeezed into the middle of the car beside Alex while Lily sat beside me. Alex turned around and looked at me for the first time as my leg pressed against his, sending warm, tingly feelings lancing up my leg.

His jaw literally dropped as he took in my attire. His eyes scanned up my body as best they could while we were sitting down, and they didn't leave my body as his mother started to drive, chatting happily to Kyle and Lily.

We arrived at wherever we were going about ten minutes later. Lily led the way into Pizza Express, also known as one of my favourite restaurants in the world. My face lit up in a smile and I heard Lily and Kyle laugh. Alex was still undeniably checking me out.

Tom, Landon and a couple of other people from school were already there, including - my stomach clenched and my heart started beating faster - James. What was he doing here? He hadn’t even wished me a happy birthday. I quietly mentioned this to Lily and she told me it was because Kyle and Alex had forced him to come.

I realised a moment later with a jolt that James' chocolate eyes were focused on me, like that time dad and I had seen him at the restaurant. I was wearing the same dress; he seemed to recognize it as his eyes roamed my body. My cheeks filled with warmth and embarrassment as I realised both Alex and James were checking me out.

Hurriedly, I sat down between Landon and Lily. We all ordered our pizzas and started to talk, laugh, gossip, have fun. To my embarrassment, when everyone had their food they all sang happy birthday - even, to my delight, James. He was smiling and joining in with the conversation and I made an effort to, too, considering they had done this for me.

The next two hours were probably the best of my life so far. I actually felt included in everything, people were talking to me, sharing jokes (and pizza) with me, laughing with me, actually enjoying my company. No one was ignoring me, not even James. I felt a little thrill in my chest whenever he talked to me.

I was having fun, loads of fun, just with my friends, chilling, eating. I mucked around with Lily and the other two girls in our group, had a spinach fight with Landon, swapped a slice of pizza with James, joined in when someone nicked Tom's phone and passed it round the table. I also cuffed Landon and Kyle round the head when they checked out some of the waitresses.

But after a couple of hours we were all full, we'd finished eating, we'd calmed down a bit, and it was time to go. I felt genuinely sad that our fun had to end; this was the best birthday I'd ever had, minus having to watch James and Nicola getting smoochy at lunch.

Mrs Collins picked the four of us up again and we piled into the car, saying goodbye to our friends, still laughing, quite hyper. I was wedged between Kyle and Alex in the most awkward position on the way back, pressed against both of them. But then we dropped Kyle off and then arrived at my house, where Alex and his mum got out. I was surprised.

"Your dad said I could sleep over tonight," Alex said with a grin and I smiled. This was going to be great.

Dad opened the door and let us in, while Mrs Collins chatted to him for a minute. We went into the kitchen and I made us some drinks, noticing his eyes were still glued to my legs. I rolled my eyes; couldn't he keep his eyes off me?

I heard Mrs Collins leave and we sat at the bar stools, still chatting. Alex, I noticed, had to stare constantly at my face rather than my body which I found quite amusing. Then I decided it was probably time for us to get ready for bed, so I went out into the hallway where I saw a phone lying on the floor. I frowned and went to pick it up, randomly recognizing it as Mrs Collins'.

"Hey dad, I think Alex's mum left her phone here," I said, walking into the living room. Dad looked up and raised his eyebrows.

"I better go give it back to her," he said, standing up and taking it from me. I returned to the kitchen, just entering as he said goodbye.

"Bye, dad," I called just as the door closed, and I flicked my hair out of my eyes before turning back to look at Alex. To my surprise, his gaze was also on me; but it was different. His eyes burned with something I couldn't quite put my finger on, his lips were slightly parted and he didn't blink. I frowned, about to ask what was up, when he spoke.

"Liz," he breathed, taking a few steps closer to me. I stared at him curiously; what was he doing? What was wrong with him?

"A-Alex?" I stuttered, unsure of what to do or say. He didn't respond, he just kept getting closer and closer until he had me virtually pinned to the wall.  I gulped, my eyes widening as he pressed me against the wall with his body, his hands either side of me, preventing my escape. I opened and closed my mouth like a goldfish, my heartbeat getting faster and faster, as did my breathing.

His forehead touched mine and he contemplated me for a moment, his eyes focusing on my lips. Our noses gently brushed as he lowered his head to my level, and he stared me in the eyes before tilting his head slightly, resting his hands on my hips and pressing his lips against mine.

At first I just stood there for a moment, stunned, not sure of what to do. My heart was racing at surely 100mph and the fire that burned through my veins would surely burn me, but I soon realized that this was real, and Alex was kissing me. And so I kissed him back.

I entangled my fingers in his hair and pulled him closer to me as I started to kiss him, and I felt him smile underneath my lips and he dragged my hips closer to his. My eyes were closed, so I couldn't see his expression, but I imagined it was one of elation; mine certainly was.

His hands shifted down from my hips to the bend of my knees and he pulled me up so he didn't have to crane his neck, and I fastened my legs around his waist as he pushed me against the wall again.

His tongue ran across my bottom lip but I didn't do anything more than kiss him a little bit more passionately, and he groaned his displeasure before taking my bottom lip between his teeth and biting it gently. I opened my mouth slightly, without really meaning to, and he smirked before sliding his tongue into my mouth.

I shivered as he did so, feeling completely out of my depth and yet completely at ease at the same time. I wasn't really sure what I was meant to be doing, so I didn't do much other than trail my hand down his back, making him tense his muscles which I felt through our close contact.

Then he removed his tongue from my mouth and stepped away from the wall, but after that I didn't really register where he took me as his hands were now tracing light circles on my waist and gradually getting higher, so as you can imagine I was rather distracted.

Soon though, I found myself flat on my back on my bed, with Alex still on top of me, still kissing me passionately. I kissed him back just as passionately, or so I hoped; I still felt a little anxious despite the fact that I was enjoying myself immensely.

After a couple more minutes, Alex finally pulled away and sat up, still straddling me. We were both breathing deeply, staring into each others' eyes as we comprehended fully what had just happened, and then his face split into a smile. Mine soon mirrored it, and I sat up as best I could with him on top of me.

I pecked him lightly on the lips and smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Well," I said after a moment, his hands on my waist. "That was unexpected….but not unwelcomed,"

He grinned and kissed me again.

________________________________________________

Bet you weren't expecting that ;)

I loved this chapter...lol

Vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

320 0 25
Ellie is 16, normal, nerdy, and pretty average. She loves her family, friends, and 5 pets. What happens when a strange boy not much older than Ellie...
1.2K 636 30
Lizzie Tan, an ordinary 16-year-old. Or at least that's what people see her as. Lizzie can see the future, but she's not the only one. Living a life...
101 0 27
Kyrii is a 24 year old girl who had to navigate through life alone from the tender age of 15. Her mom is serving a 300 year jail sentence, which left...
91K 2K 20
Bullies. They were the most used word she would always use, if she were to talk about her life. And if she had someone she could talk to. Cold, self...