The War of the Unwilling Hear...

By shanlicht

She's been called a prude, a pessimist, and an overly pragmatic sort of person. Milena Garza doesn't care tho... More

By the Way....Happy Birthday
The Dive
Shipping
The Delegation
Apologies
Red, Green, and Blue...Lust, Envy, and It's All For You
Your Story
Snowflakes on Ebony Silk
Mir, Salaam, Pau, Peace
Just Maybe
Through The Maze You Go
Sickening Summer
Pray Tell
The War Begins
Strictly Hurting
Missing
Flames for Fighting
Blood and Tears
Granted
Long Time Coming
Bells & Wills

Invaded

10.8K 288 69
By shanlicht

I'd found out that Laura is in another house called Feeniks. The ranks of the houses and the creatures they chose to represent them didn't seem to match up. House of Feeniks is just above Drage - The Dragons - who I thought were one of the most powerful magical creatures there are.

I had one roommate named Nadya who I couldn't tell if she was a quiet girl or was simply tolerating my presence. I understood that a more senior student like her would have want to share a room with one of her friends but neither of us could do very much about it.

I was showered, dressed, and down for breakfast before Nadya; or anyone else in Villhund for that matter but Petar and Yanic are seated at their table.

"Morning." I greet them.

"Guten Morgen." Petar smiles brightly."First day of classes." He toasts with a goblet of pumpkin juice.

"Yeah well I just need to get to work."

"Careful, it's rare vee get any honest recognition for academic prowess." 

"What are you praised for then?" I sit down next to him.

"Vinning. Vee are praised for vinning." He smirks.

"Intellect is the highest form of dominance." I protest, fuming at the audacity of anyone to hold such primitive views in this day and age. "The powers of the mind are more essential. Our very existence is proof of that."

"I'm not arguing." Petar chuckles. I purse my lips, hyper-aware of the eyes on me, examining me like an oddity from a far away place. I suppose I am an oddity from far away anyway.

"Petar?" Petar seems to go a little lax. "Are you nice because you pity me? Is it because I look like the lost and lonely lamb?"

"No."

"Do they already say mean things about me?" The questions come off more self-conscious than I'd like.

"Does it matter?"

"No, it doesn't." I fiddle with the strap of my school bag. "Thanks Petar." I get up and walk to my own table at a relatively empty section where I serve myself a plate of toast and a cup of pumpkin juice. Every bite of toast brings another memory of Konu, Kila and the rest of my friends in Hawai'i because as I sit here alone and void of any familiarity I wonder if they're at school thinking about me. They knew how to be my company but not intrude on my thoughts when I needed them to myself. Now I only have my thoughts.

"Milena." The harassed man who is head of my house hovers a piece of parchment in front of me then taps it with his wands so that a schedule appeared. I thought nothing of it, just tucked it into a pocket of my robes and finished eating. everyone got a schedule to identify where they were supposed to be and when. I assumed it was simple enough. Year Six classes would be a breeze as I'd looked through all the books and done all my summer work. The schedule really was just to indicate the rotation of my classes.

Laura runs over to my seat and tackles me with a hug.

"What rotation do you have?" I shrug and retrieve my schedule from my pocket, handing it to her.

"This isn't a Year Six rotation. It's not a rotation at all. It's customized."

"What does that mean?"

"I mean the rest of our classes are the same except they've switched out Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Charms for Year Seven levels."

"Makes sense I guess." I shrug and hold my hand out for my schedule.

"You'll still be able to help me with my studies, right?" She looks at me with sad puppy eyes. I can't help but laugh.

"Yeah, I'll do my best."

"Great. See you later." She hugs me again and runs off. I giggle to myself and go back to nibbling on my toast. The mail comes and Haki swoops down, landing gently beside my right hand. I take my newspaper and a card from my mom and Sebastian.

There's a short letter on the card:

How are you Sweetie? Sebastian and I were wondering if the baby is a girl, do you like Lily or River; if it's a boy do you like Markus, Nicklaus, or Vance?

Hope you're doing good?

Mom

I scratch out a quick reply and send Haki off. I open my newspaper and briefly read through the articles.

"That girl, who is she?" A deep voice sound just behind me. I turn to see Viktor Krum and am immediately put off.

"You should know. She's attended this school for six consecutive years and her father is one of the highly respectable ministry officials you greeted yesterday morning." I say dryly and go back to my paper.

"You are her friend?"

"As it stands we are close acquaintances."

"She is not your friend then?"

"I'm not interested in chatting right now." I say and try to ignore his presence but the longer I disregard it the heavier it seems to become and the seconds stretch into a unit of time I don't recognise. "Did you have something relatively important to say?" I turn to him again and for the first time I see a flash of shock on his stoic, unchanging face. I stand from my seat, stashing my paper in my bag and slinging across my chest.

"Well?" I urge.

"I vill see you in class." he says with a tightness in his mouth.

I had Potions first which was all well considering I liked a stimulating class to start my day off. The fact that it was a level seven class had me slightly unnerved but there wasn't an academic situation I couldn't think myself through.

"You would be the Year Six." The Potions Master says in an oddly placed Scottish accent.

"I am. My name is -" I begin.

"I know who you are. You think you'd get on into this class if you weren't exceptional." His tone is cocky and I don't take kindly to it.

"Does it occur to you then that this is a waste of your time as I'm not eligible to take the N.E.W.T. exams?" There's no effort in my words and they flow coolly from my lips. He smirks.

"Not a waste of time at all." He holds out his hand. "Professor Owens." I take a long look at his hand before accepting his gesture. "Sit where you like." His arms sweep to present the entirety of the room.

"Here, I think."  I set my bag at a table closest to the Professor's tiny teaching stage.

"Not typically one's first choice." Professor Owens looks oddly at me and then turns to begin work with the last of his preparations.

I'm fairly early so I set out my book, wand, quill and ink; placing them neatly on my half of the workspace. 

"This seat is not taken, yes?" Viktor's voice has become an ice pick in my patience.

"Does it look taken?" I say without looking at him. I can almost feel his egotistical grin sending a grimy feeling through me. Just days ago I knew vaguely of him and that was good enough for me but now it feels like I can't escape him. Perhaps the actual claustrophobia of the situation is exaggerated but when you strive to be a simpler and unnoticed person, Viktor Krum is the equivalent of a bright flashing sign that reads; "Stare at me". 

I'd hoped that the first day of actual studies would be a modest introductory period but the hope went unfounded and we had to complete a Draught of Peace potion and schedule a time to start work on a batch of Veritaserum.

I did most of the work, hissing at Viktor every time he did something to speed up the brewing process or wanted to throw an ingredient into the cauldron.

Viktor picks up the powdered moonstone and goes to throw it into the cauldron. I very quickly put a shielding charm around the cauldron and rescue the powdered plant before it goes to waste.

"If you touch anything else I will stab you with the athame." I say forcefully and take a side glance at Professor Owens who starts to make his rounds checking on people. "Do you not read directions?"

"It vill be the same." Viktor says in his most uninterested drawl.

"It won't be the same." I inform, collecting the moonstone onto a dish and releasing the shield charm. "Powdered unicorn horn first." I take care not to rush the final steps due to my frustration and within the hour I've completed the potion with a delicate hand and much patience. It's a pretty color, appropriate for it's effects and purposes.

"Very well Miss Garza, Mister Krum." Professor Owens startles me. The accrediting manner in which he regards Viktor boils my blood slightly.

Little prick.

"It's done." I say, pursing my lips and giving him a phial of the finished potion with a flourish of my wand.

"Is it?" Professor Owens rolls the phial about in the palm of his hand and studies the potion in the cauldron.

"Absolutely." I reply, unwaveringly. "I think you'll find it tastes quite pleasant."

"Then it seems your brew is impotent." He jests at my glum manner.

"There's nothing wrong with it I've brewed this particular potion several times before."

"That's not really fair." The professor grins devilishly.

"Fairness is subjective Professor." I shrug.

"Yes, I suppose it is." He tosses the phial into his robe's pocket with a smile. "Fine work Miss Garza." Without guilt I feel a spark of pride when he does not again congratulate Viktor. I pack my things away with a new earned spunk getting ready for my Herbology class next hour. A proper Year Six class that Laura had assured she'd be in. So I made my way to the greenhouses by the shores of the island.

"Herbology." Petar pops up beside me. I startle and he laughs. "Did I scare you?

"Nah. I'm used to people appearing out of nowhere to my distaste." I chuckle.

"Have you got Herbology now?"

"Actually, it seemed like a nice day for a swim." He looks horrified and I have a good laugh. "Only kidding. Yeah, I have Herbology."

"I did not see you in Potions."

"Erm. Yeah. I have Professor Owens for Potions."

"He teachers Year Seven at that time."

"That's right." I continue walking down the path to the greenhouses.

"Just when I've come to accept that Durmstrang is grey clouds, coldness and people to match." He grins sideways at me.

"Don't enchant yourself with something different Petar." I giggle. His eyes have a little twinkle I can't explain but it's marvelous to see it in its most docile form as it is in Petar.

I'm glad Petar Is in my next four classes, even though Laura is as well and she's typically my partner when needed. Petar comforts all my irritations from across the room. This isn't the case with Charms however, where I am almost instantly grieved to know Viktor Krum is also in attendance.

"Of course you are." I groan when he sits next to me. "The frequency in which you invade my time Mister Krum is distressing." But of course Viktor isn't the one to comment, reply or anything - it seems - that requires articulating words.

I find him again in Defense Against the Dark Arts at the end of the day and by that time I've determined to say nothing as he parts from his 'friends' and takes the seat next to me. I boil inside though. There's no mistake that I turn over everything I want to say in a flurry of annoyance oppressed by decency and politeness.

There's twenty-three other seats; why the one right by me? He's a sadistic prick. His ego is honestly too large to comprehend that someone rather learn than bask in his presence.

"Miss Garza?" Professor Keilarov summons my attention. "Are you 'aving troubles focusing?"

"No Ma'am. I was just concerned if my notes would be satisfactory when studying for a future exam. Your lecture is, admittedly, the most intricate I've heard." I smile. She hides the blush in her cheeks and allows me to continue. Flattery will get you many places. With as much stealth as I could, I glare at Viktor.

This was stupid really. This isn't the sort of terror I had expected from Durmstrang. The invasion of Viktor Krum was never a part of my nightmares.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.6K 876 24
Hermione discovers that she has dark magic cursing her very life, what will Draco do to save her? WARNING: SEXUAL CONTENT! I DO NOT OWN HARRY POTTER...
3.7K 76 33
in which lyla black, the infamous sister of sirius black, gets with the one she's absolutely under no circumstances supposed to get with. "Only 20 mi...
783K 27.6K 83
"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." - Sirius Black Cassiopeia Elar...