The Girl Nextdoor

By hoplessromantic143

Camila Cabello is an average girl. She's not popular, or somewhere in between. She belongs to a group that he... More

Pilot
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Quick Question
IMPORTANT
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Important I guess
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Help?
Chapter 39
Hey guys...
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65: Part 1
Chapter 65: Part 2
Chapter 65: Part 3
Chapter 66
Chapter 67: Part 1
Chapter 67: Part 2
Chapter 67 Part: 3
Chapter 67: Part 4
Chapter 67: Part 5
Chapter 68 Part 1
Chapter 68: Part 2
Chapter 68 Part 3
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71: Part 1
Chapter 71: Part 2
Chapter 72: Part 3
Hey guys!
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Important
Need your help!!
Come say hi
The book cover
Fin

Chapter 54

22.4K 835 1.3K
By hoplessromantic143

Camila's POV

So it turned out my mom didn't call the police that evening. She was actually kind of glad I went over to Lauren's.

Even though I gave her a legitament reason, she didn't seem to believe me and I didn't blame her. It was obvious that I was seeing Lauren. Well atleast to her it was.

I really didn't understand how my mother knew. Or how she managed to put the pieces together because even though she read the letter, she could have thought anything. But she hit the bullseye and I'm quite impressed.

I've wanted to properly talk to her about it but I haven't because she always teases me about it and I start to sputter stupid things and the whole thing then just makes me feel uncomfortable. But hopefully, we can talk soon. I'd really like that.

As expected Lauren didn't show up for school the next few days. I guess she still wasn't over what happened, and to be honest, her group seemed so lost without her. But on a stormy Friday, she showed up to our second period.

She walked in dragging her feet with an emotionless expression on her face. She looked exhausted. Almost like she hadn't slept in a while. But she seemed fine yesterday? I didn't understand why she showed up today with bags under her eyes and a frown. Even her eyes seemed to miss their little glow. But that wasn't the only thing that caught me off guard. I never thought I would live to see the day that Lauren Jauregui would wear a grey Bal Harbor hoodie with jeans and black converse to school. To fucking school! Even her hair matched her casual appearance. It was tied up in a ponytail and her face was almost nearly nude.

I had to do a double take when I first looked at her because I didn't believe it. No one did. 32 pairs of eyes were glued on her and it was because someone had kidnapped the Lauren Jauregui we all knew. Or at least who they all knew.

She tried to ignore everyone as she situated herself in her seat, but after a few seconds, her eyebrow twitched in annoyance and her jaw clenched, "Don't you guys have a board to look at or something?" She barked.

Everyone stiffened in their seats. Even I felt myself jump a little at her tone. I turned around in my seat and returned my attention to the board. I didn't dare to look at my girlfriend again until the bell rang. She was last to gather her things and was rather sluggish.

I walked up to her while our teacher was reading at her desk.

"Lauren?"

Her green eyes met mine as she continued to pack her things, "Yeah?"

"Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, you just seem kinda different."

"Just because I didn't feel like putting on a show today doesn't mean I'm in a bad mood."

"I didn't say that..."

"But that's what you meant to say."

"No-"

"-that's what you and everyone thought. Wasn't it?"

"No I didn't-"

"Whatever, I have to get to class." Lauren interrupted before she flung her bag over her shoulder and mumbled a bye.

I frowned.

What the hell was up with her? I didn't upset her did I? Ugh. She was acting weird. Not because of the way she was dressed, but because of the way she was acting. Because of the way her eyes seemed to reveal the emptiness inside her. That's why.

I kept a close eye on her for the test of the day. She didn't sit at her normal table. She actually went off campus for once in her life. And the preps looked as lost as ever.

Even later during choir, she sat by Darren instead of her usual spot beside Madison and Michael.

I didn't really know what was up with her but it probably had something to do with that apology.

I know Lauren didn't hate Madison. She loved the girl. But she hated what she did to me and I think that's why she hasn't been able to let go of her grudge. I know a part of her wants to apologize and get her "best friend" back but another just wants to rip her apart. But to avoid either of those sides of her, she neglects to acknowledge anything.

And I thought she would be like that for the rest of the day, but after 6th period, she waited for the hall to clear up and for me to packed up my things. She then pulled me into the hall and wore the most unreadable expression.

She took a deep breath before she rubbed her arm and met my gaze, "Camz, look, I'm sorry for being rude to you this morning. That was way out of line. I just have a lot of shit piling up on me and I'm feeling really suffocated."

I sadly smiled at her, "It's fine Lo. Don't worry about it, I know you have a lot of things on your mind."

"Are you sure? Maybe I could make it up to you?"

A smiled creeped onto my lips, "Now I'm listening."

Lauren smirked, "I mean like a date. You perv."

I blushed, "Oh, a date?"

"Yeah, we've never exactly been on one and I want to take you out." Lauren shrugged with a shy smile.

She's so cute.

I smiled, "Sure. I just have a lab I have to make up today, but I'll be done within two hours, hopefully."

"Cool. So it's a date?"

"It's a date." I confirmed.

"Alright, just call me when you finish up and I'll come pick you up."

"I think I can walk or take the bus or something..."

Lauren laughed, "Are you fucking serious?"

"Yeah, I mean-"

"Camz, I'm not going to let my girlfriend walk home or take public transportation. What type of girlfriend would I be if I allowed that?"

"I don't know..."

"A bad one. That's what. I know I don't know a lot of stuff but I do know that I'm not going to let you get home by yourself, someone could kidnap you or hurt you."

"It's okay Lauren, I've done it before-"

"-well, you're never going to go it again."

"Lo-"

"-call me when you're done babe." Lauren interrupted before she pecked my lips, "I love you."

I gave in, "I love you too." I mumbled.

She smiled one more time before she left. I sighed to myself and made my way towards the biology classroom.

There, I met my partner. I didn't really know her that well, but we randomly got put into a group together because of a little thing my teacher likes to call, natural selection. He's a nerd I know. But anyway, Haliee was new to the school and hasn't really settled in yet. She was a little quiet and reserved but nice overall. She reminded me a little bit of me when I was new here too. So in a way, I enjoyed her presence, because I had a feeling she was actually a pretty cool girl.

So anyway, Haliee and I had been working on a lab about human heart regulation. Since we missed class the other day, our teacher was gracious enough to give us the opportunity to make it up and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

"So, what's the deal with this school?" Haliee asked.

I furrowed my brows in confusion as I wrote down some data, "What do you mean?"

"Why have so many different groups? Like I swear everyone here is out to get eachother..."

"Not everyone..." I countered, "It's just that some people care more about status and money than anything else here."

"Do you feel that way too?"

"Oh no. My friends and I are in the lowest tier of the groups. And that's because we don't care about those things. We like to value people for who they are not for what they have."

Hailee sighed in relief and smiled, "I'm glad there's people here who have their heads screwed on right."

"Oh that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you...have you been settling in okay? I haven't seen you around at lunch..."

She shrugged and pushed her glasses up, "I kinda-"

"You've been having lunch in a stall haven't you?"

She blushed, "H-How did you know?"

I half smiled, "When I was in middle school, I always ate lunch in there when my best friends both happened to be absent."

"I'm sorry-"

"-its okay, that was all in the past, now I eat lunch with a great group of friends. And if you'd like, you should join us sometime. I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

She looked unsure. As if maybe she thought I was kidding, "Are you sure?"

"Of course." I smiled.

"But what if they don't like me?"

"They will. You're one of us."

"..."

"You're smart. And on top of that, you notice things that shouldn't be seen and feel things that shouldn't be felt and you understand it. You're a brain. Embrace it."

"A brain?" Hailee asked tilting her head to the side like a confused puppy.

"Boy, do you have a lot to learn."

--

After Hailee and I finished our lab, I quickly explained how our school worked, afterwords we got to know eachother a little more by stumbling upon similar interests like Taylor Swift and One Direction. I tried my best to keep our conversation short as I remembered that Lauren was probably waiting for me outside. After goodbyes, I made my way through the empty halls and towards the exit, but as I hit the corner someone pulled me by the wrist and pinned up against the wall.

Thinking it was Lauren in one of her spontaneous episodes, I let her have control over me. Before I could even open my eyes to meet her beautiful green ones, her lips crashed against mine. I smiled into the kiss and instantly kissed back. The taste of her soft, plush, eager, strawberry lip glossed lips-WAIT.

Lauren doesn't wear lip gloss.

My eyes shot open.

A pair of brown eyes were staring back at me. I pulled away from this person and realized that it was Madison.

I quickly wiped my lips and looked at her in pure terror. Confusion and fear easily made it's way to my features as she tried to utter an explanation.

"Uh, hey Bows." She nervously said, scratching the nape of her neck.

I had to blink a few times to process it. Madison just kissed me. She kissed me. And I kissed her back. What kind of mess-

"Don't be scared, I'm not going to hurt you." She assured me.

I shook my head lightly, "How am I not supposed to be scared, you just kissed me. I'm terrified, why would you do that?"

I knew why but still.

She ran her hand through her hair and shrugged, "I don't know...I just-" She paused. "I just couldn't help myself anymore. Camila I-"

"Madison please think about what you're doing. You hate me and I hate you. It's always been that way. Don't say anything you're not sure of."

"But I am sure. I've been sure since I met you. I just recently got some sense knocked into me and realized that I'd been so stupid and careless all along and it's because...I like you."

My mouth dropped.

"I have a big fucking crush on you and I have no idea what to do with it."

"Madison-"

"-I know. It's stupid. But I just thought you had the right to know. And apart from that I also owe you an apology."

"Mad-"

"-just please let me explain Camila."

Did she just use my name? Well that's a first.

"I was stupid. Very stupid. And I've just never really been good at expressing myself. That's why I've always been such a bitch to you. Why I always made fun of you and hurt you. I didn't mean to do it, I just never found the right words to explain how I felt about you. And I don't expect you to forgive me, or even believe me, but it's worth a try." She said before she shook her head lightly at the fact that she had reveled the very thing she never wanted me to know, "And sorry for that kiss by the way. Like I said, I don't know how to express myself." She shrugged before turning around and leaving me with an open mouth.

What the hell just happened?

--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

676K 18.7K 25
Camila Cabello was just an average girl. One day, she ran into trouble, made by none other than the school's badass troublemaker Lauren Jauregui, whi...
322K 8.9K 31
Lauren Jauregui is the school bully. She's hot, popular, rich. She has everything going for her, or so it seems. Camila Cabello is the school queer...
21.3K 479 15
A private island. Summer vacation. An innocent cautious girl from a distinguished family, Camila Cabello met a certain green-eyed mysterious and dang...
1.7M 54.9K 44
A small girl catches my attention one day during lunch and I can't seemed to get her off my mind. My new friends and others advise me to stay away fr...