Chapter 49

Narrator's POV

The next day, Lauren and Camila attended school as if nothing had happened. The smaller girl disguised her bruises with large amounts of makeup and covered her black eye with a pair of sunglasses while Lauren went in as she was. They kept a respectable distance from each other as the first few periods rolled on. Lauren cautiously kept an eye on the brunette as she watched her move between classes. She wasn't necessarily following the girl, but did her best effort to make sure that no one would give her any serious problems because of her state. Although the smaller girl tried to cover her condition, her efforts failed. The bruises and healing cuts were still visible. The make up had only masked so little of the definite color of her bruises and scars. And Lauren knew that anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain would know what happened to her with a single glance.

She didn't want to risk Camila getting hurt again. Rather it be physically or emotionally. She had already gone through enough this year, this life, and all Lauren ever wanted was to make things easier for her. And she hoped that her body guard duty would somehow help.

Throughout the school day, Lauren's attitude had been rather spiteful towards her friends. She didn't talk much around them, even when they asked her open ended questions. Her answers and replies consisted of yes's and no's. Or most of the time deafening silence.

Lauren tried to respect Camila's previous request to keep her hands off them, but as her green eyes stumbled upon her group, she couldn't help but feel her hate for them grow deeper.

The anger and disgust burning within her festered throughout the day. Getting worser and worser as she restrained herself. She tried her best to keep it in, but her efforts were becoming futile. As she sat at their usual lunch table, she watched her friends converse. And for the first time ever, she was able to see who her "friends" really consisted of : a hypocrite, a liar, and two stubborn idiots who were oblivious to the feelings they had for each other.

Lauren watched each of her friends closely. Madison, the liar, was eating a salad while casually glancing at Camila from their table. Although she had never admitted it, Lauren knew the truth. Madiosn didn't hate bows. She didn't hate her at all. She liked her. A lot. And Lauren never failed to notice it.

Surprisingly it didn't bother her, and that was mainly because she knew that she had nothing to worry about. Madison posed no serious threat. Or at least, that's what she hoped.

Next to her was the hypocrite, Michael. Willet and Lauren had a lot in common. Both coming from wealthy families, residing in the same social group but most importantly, they both had something that no one else in their group did; Star crossed lovers.

Michael had been experiencing the same struggles that Lauren has been going through with Camila. The boy had been secretly meeting Darren behind the bleachers every Tuesday. To do what? No one is really sure, but Lauren has a few theories that she rather put aside for now.

And lastly, the two oblivious pair of love birds were at her right. She watched as they both had a very animated conversation. Vero slightly blushing as Drew showed her his bicep and told her about a new work out he had been trying out. Lauren rolled her eyes at the group in front of her before she turned her head to look at the brunette who sitting at the far end of the cafeteria.

She threw her head back in laugher as Dinah pretended to be a walrus by stuffing two baby carrots in between her upper lip and gum. She moved her head from side to side as she waddled around their table. Lauren's lips curled up into a half smile as she watched Camila laugh at such a silly antic.

"Oh god, what are doing now?" Michael groaned noticing the group across from them.

"Probably chanting to the college board gods." Madison shrugged before sipping her drink.