Love at First Letter ✔️

By megaannicolee

Hazel Tate has spent the last three years of her life avoiding all things military. After the unfortunate dea... More

Love at First Letter
Love at First Letter - 1
Love at First Letter - 2
Love at First Letter - 3
Love at First Letter - 4
Love at First Letter - 5
Love at First Letter - 6
Love at First Letter - 7
Love at First Letter - 8
Love at First Letter - 9
Love at First Letter - 10
Love at First Letter - 11
Love at First Letter - 12
Love at First Letter - 13
Love at First Letter - 14
Love at First Letter - 15
Love at First Letter - 16
Love at First Letter - 17
Love at First Letter - 18
Love at First Letter - 19
Love at First Letter - 20
Love at First Letter - 21
Love at First Letter - 22
Love at First Letter - 23
Love at First Letter - 24
Love at First Letter - 25
Love at First Letter - 26
Love at First Letter - 27
Love at First Letter - 28
Love at First Letter - 29
Love at First Letter - 30
Love at First Letter - 31
Love at First Letter - 32
Love at First Love - 34
Love at First Letter - 35
Love at First Letter - Epilogue
Update
One Million Reads

Love at First Letter - 33

33.3K 1K 45
By megaannicolee

Love at First Letter

Chapter 33

I don't know what I packed, I'm not even sure I grabbed my phone charger, all I know is that I needed to get to the hospital and I needed to get there now. Logan and I rented a car and I drove quite quickly down the familiar roads, until we made it to the hospital. I don't check to see if my car even made it in the lines of the parking space and I don't care to know either. Logan's on my heels as I walk quickly into the hospital.

I plant both of my hands on top of the front desk, my fingers tap on the wood as the woman talks on the phone. She gives me a look but that doesn't stop my fingers. She just rolls her eyes and finishes her phone call. "I need to know what room Brett Tinsley is in."

"Are you family?" She asks me.

I was getting more and more frustrated. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. "She's his wife okay, now tell us what goddamn room he's in so we can make sure he's okay." Logan says to her and I shoot him a look, one that says how grateful I am for him.

"Well then Mrs. Tinsley," I can tell she doesn't quite believe him due to the fact that I'm not wearing a wedding ring, which she makes sure to look at for a few seconds. She clicks her tongue and says anyways, "He's on the third floor."

Logan and I don't wait for the woman to say anything else, instead we're rushing towards the elevator. I press it once, then twice, and then three more times before I realize the elevator is going too slow and immediately take to the stairs. Logan groans but follows me anyway and just as we open the door and set up the stairs I hear the ding of the elevator.

"Seriously Hazel, you couldn't have waited literally three more seconds."

"Not when the man I love could be dying."

When we get to the third floor I immediately see his family sitting in the waiting room. Brittany notices me first and rushes towards me. She flings her arms around my neck and I can tell that's see's been crying. "What's wrong with him?"

"Didn't you read my email?"

"Only part of it." I told her. "As soon as I saw there was an accident, I packed my stuff and came right away. Now tell me what's happening."

"They were - I don't know the technical term for it but they were doing some kind of practice test thing with live fire and something went wrong. He was shot, he lost a lot of blood. They won't tell me where he was shot or how bad it was, but they did surgery at a hospital close to the base he was at and they flew him here to be close to us." She takes a deep breath. "They said he was going to be okay, but then I guess he got a blood clot and he had to go back in for surgery. He hasn't come out yet."

Brett's mom and dad both gave me a forced smile but I didn't return one. Instead I took a seat in one of the many chairs. Logan sat next to me, his arm going around my shoulders and bringing me into his chest. The wooden arm of the chair was digging into my side but I didn't care. I turned so I could shove my face into his shirt and cried.

"He's going to be okay." Logan said to me and rested his chin on the top of my head. "He was just doing surgery for a blood clot, they do that all the time. It's like routine surgery." I didn't know if he was lying to me or not but at the moment I didn't care.

"Thank you for being here for me, you're the best."

"That's what friends do."

We were sat there for an hour before we heard any news on Brett. The doctor came out and when I went to stand up Logan pulled me back down onto my seat. "Just let the doctor talk to his parents right now. They'll tell you in a minute."

I didn't get a chance to talk to his parents as the doctor led them down the hall and out of sight. I didn't take that as a good sign, but then Brittany and Brandy walked over to me and took a seat opposite me. "Did you hear what the doctor said?"

Brittany nodded, "He was shot in the back. During the first surgery he lost a lot of blood but the bullet, thankfully, didn't hit the spine. They was some nerve damage but they're positive that with some physical therapy he'll be able to walk again. Then he got a blood clot and they rushed him back into surgery. He's still out from the anesthesia but he should be awake in a few hours."

"But he's going to be alright." I ask her.

She doesn't answer my question instead she says, "You love my brother and he loves you. I don't know what he's going to be like when he wakes up. He could be angry and say some things he doesn't mean."

"What are you trying to say?"

"What she's trying to say," Brandy cuts in. "is that she doesn't want you and our brother to break up just because he might be angry. They don't think he'll be able to walk right away and he might be stuck in a wheel chair for a month, maybe even longer. If he works hard he might be walking sooner but it all depends on him."

"You shouldn't worry about Brett and I breaking up. I'm going to be there for him all the way through this, no matter what he says."

"Good."

It took Brett two hours to wake up from the anesthesia. I was sitting in a chair with a book in my hand when the heart monitor starts beating quicker. I look up from the book to see Brett trying to sit up. Although with the lack of movement in his legs it turns out to be quite difficult. I rush to his side and help him though he doesn't say anything.

He looks around the room, noticing where he is and then settles his gaze back on me. "What happened?"

"You were shot during training."

I go and bring a chair up to the side of his bed but Brett's hand on my forearm stops me. "Come sit up here with me." He pats to the spot on the bed next to him but I shake my head. "Please, I just need you next to me."

"I don't want to hurt you." I tell him.

"You aren't going to hurt me." He assures me and gives the spot next to him another pat. When he sees the reluctant look on my face he sighs and tells me, "I promise you that you aren't going to hurt me. I just want to be close to my girlfriend, is that too much to ask?"

"No it's not." I take a seat next to Brett on the bed and make sure to sit just a few inches from touching his body so I didn't hurt him. His arm wraps around my waist and brings me into his side.

"I'm on so much medication right now, I don't hurt at all." He kisses the side of my head and I read my head on his chest. "Where's my family?" He asks me.

"They went out to get some lunch, we didn't know when you were going to wake up. I told them I would stay there and they're bringing me back some food." I tell him. "I'm just glad you're finally awake."

"So what's the damage?" He asks me, his breathe fanning out across my face as he places another kiss on the side of my head. "I really missed you."

"I really missed you too." I tell him. I turn in Brett's arms and kiss his lips. It isn't a long kiss but it's enough for right now. "I think you should wait for the doctor to tell you everything." Brett brings me in for one more kiss before tucking me in his arm and bringing me close.

"I want to hear it from you," As soon as he said that the door opened and the doctor walked in.

"Glad to see you awake Mr. Tinsley, your wife here hasn't left the room since you've been allowed visitors. You've got yourself a keeper there." Brett sends me a weird look when the word wife registers and a smirk plays at his lip.

"Wife?" He whispers into my ear, low enough so that the doctor couldn't hear him say it. I nod my head and wait for the doctor to continue talking. The doctor relays all the news to Brett and tells him that he's going to have to stay in the hospital for now and they would start physical therapy when he was feeling better. When the doctor leaves Brett turns towards me, "You told them you were my wife?" I could see he was trying to hold in his laughter.

"It was the only way they were going to tell me anything, although I don't think they believed me since I'm not wearing a wedding ring but it got me in here." I shrug my shoulders and sink into Brett's warm embrace.

"You can be my fake wife any day."

The next few days seem to drag by. The doctor does test after test to make sure that he doesn't have another blood clot. His family came in and out of the room but now it was just me and him. Brett was changing the stations on the television trying to find something to watch and I was sitting next to him. Suddenly Brett turns off the television and turns me in his arm so I could look up at him.

"I just remembered something. You sent me an email a few weeks back saying that something had happened and you wanted to talk face to face about it. So what happened?"

I freeze. I didn't want to talk about this right now. Not because I don't think he doesn't need to know, he does, but I just didn't want to talk about it. He needs to focus on getting better and his physical therapy that was going to start any day now. He didn't need to be worrying about these thigns.

"Maybe we should wait to talk about it. I want you to just focus on getting better right now."

"You can tell me anything baby, you know that."

"There was an incident in New York." So I tell him everything that happened, from that night where Logan saved me to the man going to jail to the therapy sessions. I explain why I didn't want to tell him over the internet and assure him that I'm fine and he didn't get very far.

Brett was silent after I finished telling him everything about it. I stared at his chest, not wanting to look him in the eyes, but when his hand came underneath my chin and forces me to look up at him I have no choice. Instead of saying anything he brings his lips to mine and kisses me. It a sweet kiss filled with passion and love. We pour out everything we want to say to the other in a simple kiss.

When we pull away Brett rests his forehead against mine and says, "I guess I've got to thank Logan for saving my girl."

"I've got something that will make you feel better about Logan."

"And what's that?"

"He's got a girlfriend." Brett laughs at this and kisses the side of my head. "Now you don't have to get jealous with all the time we spend together."

"I love you." He says simply.

"I love you too." I tell him and turn to kiss his lips.

"Such a love fest in here." I hear Logan's voice at the door. He's standing there with a bag and drink from Taco Bell, which I gladly take from him and begin to eat. Brett opens his mouth like a kid and I feed him one of my tacos. I don't know if he's allowed to eat fast food but one taco wasn't going to hurt him.

"Can I talk to Logan alone for a minute?" Brett asks me. I nod my head and take my drink with me as I leave the room. I close the door behind me and leave a sliver open so I can hear what's happening. They don't say anything for a minute but I hear one of them sigh.

"I know what this is about and you don't have to say anything about it. I just did what anyone would have done in my situation." I hear Logan say.

"I have to thank you for saving my girl. If that bastard would have gone any further I would have to kill him myself." I hear some movement in the room and then Brett say, "I wasn't happy about how close you two were getting in the beginning but I can see how much you mean to her and I'm just glad that you were there that night. So thank you."

"It's no problem. I care about Hazel, in a completely platonic way." He quickly adds in. "Plus I have my own girl now, but Hazel's always going to be a good friend of mine. Just treat her right, that girl loves you."

"And I love her too."

There's more movement and I don't realize before it's too late that someone, most likely Logan, was moving towards the door until it was pulled open and I came tumbling into the room. I smack into Logan's chest and he's able to keep us upright. My cheeks flame as Brett laughs and Logan just shakes his head. "Eavesdropping is rude you know." Logan tells me.

"I just wanted to witness this bromance moment." I tease them even though my cheeks were still tinged red. "I'm just glad my two favorite guys are getting along."

I walk towards Brett and take my place next to him on the bed. I was just getting comfortable when the doctor comes in the room. I sit up straighter and wonder what he has to say, "Hello Mr. Tinsley, how are you feeling today?"

"I'm feeling good." He says. "When can I start physical therapy?"

"As soon as tomorrow if you would like. We've got a great physical therapist who works here, he's helped people in a lot worse condition than you walk again, so you should be walking in no time. We can't release you right now unfortunately you'll have to stay here for another week at least, and you'll have to use a wheelchair if you want to get around. We've just got to keep you here to make sure you don't have another blood clot."

"I'd like to start tomorrow." Brett tells him. I squeeze his hand and he intertwines our fingers together. "The sooner the better."

"I'll get that scheduled in then." The doctor says a few more things and checks a few more things on the machine and the papers in his hands before he leaves the room and shut the door behind him.

Logan stands up from his chair and points at his watch, visiting hours are over. "I've got to go but I'll be here first thing tomorrow morning." I kiss Brett's lips and stand from the bed. "I love you Brett."

"I love you too Hazel. I'll see you in the morning." He kisses my head and lets go of my hand. I don't want to leave but I have to. Logan and I stop at the nearest Taco Bell to get dinner before returning to Brett's house and going straight to our rooms. I was staying with Brittany and Logan was staying in Brett's room. I lay down in bed and turn off the lights, the last thought going through my head before sleep is, the sooner I fall asleep the sooner I can see Brett.

*****
Another update!!!

Now the story is coming to a close, it's almost over and that is very disappointing. I love this story and I hope you guys do too.

Tell me what you think! We'll learn more about Logan and his girlfriend in the next chapter!

Comment And Vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

335K 13.8K 45
❝Love is more dangerous than we realize, Aulaura.❞ the thundering sound of the storm was tightly entwined with his voice. ❝Enough to kill us,❞ L...
The New Me By Barbie

Teen Fiction

6.3M 167K 55
High school is supposed to be the greatest years of our lives but so far for me it's been the worst my sophomore year I had only 2 best friends one e...
291K 6.8K 39
(Completed & sequel is posted, it's called Unfolding The Unplanned.) Nobody's life is mapped out for them, nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. Lac...
18.2K 603 12
Harry Potter x X-Men FemHarry FemHarry x Theo Nott