Jonah Clarke Is Not Gay

By greenypots

WATTPAD FEATURED STORY Daniel Evans is trying not to let his crush on Jonah Clarke get in the way of their ne... More

Foreword
Jonah Clarke Is Not Gay
Jonah Clarke Is Influential
Jonah Clarke Is Honest
Jonah Clarke Is Unsubtle
Jonah Clarke Is Apologetic
Jonah Clarke Is Hardworking
Jonah Clarke Is An Idiot
Jonah Clarke Is Victorious
Jonah Clarke Is Drunk
Jonah Clarke Is Supportive
Jonah Clarke Is Helpful
Jonah Clarke Is Unprepared
Please Read
Jonah Clarke Is Surprised
Jonah Clarke Is Talkative
Jonah Clarke Is Poorly
Jonah Clarke Is Flirtatious
Jonah Clarke Is Distant
Jonah Clarke Is Defensive
Jonah Clarke Is Childish
Jonah Clarke Is Content
Jonah Clarke Is Useful
Jonah Clarke Is Sweet
Jonah Clarke Is Unsure
Jonah Clarke Is Awkward
Jonah Clarke Is Enlightened
Jonah Clarke Is Cuddly
Jonah Clarke Is Comforting
Jonah Clarke Is Not Gay
Epilogue: Jonah Clarke Is Happy
Spin Offs
One-Shot Results

Jonah Clarke Is A Shopaholic

237K 8.5K 23.1K
By greenypots

Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to cxsmicology for making me the awesome cover that you can see. Like it's bomb ass and good call making Logan Lerman Daniel.

Daniel's not sure what it is but there's something about meeting up with Jonah outside of school.

Sure there was the park but that wasn't exactly planned and except for that Daniel has only really seen Jonah inside of school, even if it feels like he's seen him a hell of a lot more than that.

And so Daniel is nervous as he waits outside the train station for Jonah to arrive. Daniel hates making friends, because no matter how long he's known them Daniel always panics that he's annoying them, or they're talking about him behind his back. And Daniel is more than aware that Jonah can change his mind about this friendship at any point and so Daniel is worried about all the ways that he could make a fool of himself. He could fall and face plant the floor, he could forget how to speak English, or he could accidentally call Jonah mum. Daniel is pretty sure there's nothing more mortifying in the world than making that mistake.

All these thoughts evaporate out of Daniel's brain when he lays eyes on Jonah though. There is something about the way Jonah walks, with a confident swing of his arms and a laidback smile on his face that makes Daniel calm. Perhaps it's the fact that Jonah seems like he never worries, and somehow it makes Daniel aspire to be like that. Daniel makes a mental note that today he's not allowed to worry about anything, even if he ends up doing something that makes him look like the biggest idiot on the planet.

"Hey," Jonah greets.

"I can't believe you made me wake up this early."

"It's ten o'clock in the morning Daniel."

"Exactly," Daniel says, "it's a Saturday."

"Well I'm guessing you'll love my suggestion of stopping for a coffee before we head to the shops then?"

"Please. I need caffeine."

It is not long before the pair are seated at a table in a small cafe they found just off the high street and Daniel peers over the rim of his mug at Jonah who's staring right back at him.

"I swear half the time I've spent with you has been spent drinking coffee."

"Except you don't drink coffee," Daniel reminds him.

"Well remembered," Jonah says sarcastically, "let me retract that whole statement seen as though it was clearly incomprehensible because I used the wrong terminology for my hot beverage."

"You use long words when you're sarky," Daniel comments.

"You're pedantic."

"Are you using all these long words around me because you know your friends won't understand them?" Daniel asks.

"Ooh," Jonah says, "bitchy Daniel is out today."

Daniel is about to reply but he is interrupted by the arrival of the waitress who leans towards Jonah, exposing her cleavage.

"Is everything okay for you?"

Her question is directed towards the pair of them but her gaze does not leave Jonah and Daniel watches as her eyes scan Jonah's body appreciatively. Daniel feels slapping her and then remembers he has no right to do that.

Watching her Daniel takes deep breaths and reminds himself that she'll be leaving any second but then she leans in even closer to Jonah and offers him a sultry smile.

"So what brings you here?" She asks, twirling a strand of her copper coloured hair between her fingers.

Daniel has to admit she's gorgeous and by no means would he blame Jonah if he was attracted to her but to Daniel it's matter of principle. Surely the girl can see that Jonah is already talking to someone and it occurs to Daniel that if he was a girl then the waitress would not be doing this, she'd assume Daniel and Jonah were dating and therefore would count Jonah as off limits. But it doesn't occur to her that Daniel and Jonah might be together - which truthfully they're not, but she doesn't know that - and so Daniel just takes it as another example as the fact that society still doesn't really count homosexual couples as normal.

Luckily the angry tangent inside his head has managed to distract Daniel from thinking about the waitress who is now trailing her hand up Jonah's arm. Daniel is pleased to see that Jonah does not look entirely comfortable with this development and in fact slides his arm away from her slowly.

"Me and Daniel here are going shopping," Jonah says in reply to her question.

The waitresses gaze quickly slides over to Daniel as if she is noticing him for the first time and her eyes scan his body.

"Well that's nice," she drawls.

"Yeah," Jonah says scratching the back of his neck, "anyway, we, uh, better go."

With that he stands abruptly up from his seat and begins to stride out of the shop. Daniel apologises to the confused waitress and places some money on the table before following after Jonah.

Luckily Jonah has not travelled too far, and is stood outside on the pavement surveying the row of shops opposite as he waits for Daniel to catch up.

"What the hell was that about?" Daniel asks. "You owe me coffee Clarke."

"Whatever Danny-Boy, I am not in the mood to deal with waitresses who do not understand the concept of personal space and you didn't seem overly happy with the scene."

Daniel feigns ignorance.

"I have no idea what you're on about - and did you just call me Danny-Boy?"

"I'm trying something new," Jonah says vaguely, "and yeah, I swear if looks could kill we'd have had more to worry about than paying for the coffee. What's up Daniel? Jealous that somebody other than yourself has got their hands on me?"

At first Daniel can feel his heart in his mouth because Jonah's not supposed to know. It's obvious that he does, Daniel did ask him out after all, but they're supposed to be moving on from that. But then Daniel realises that there is humour in Jonah's tone and Jonah appears to be biting on his lip to stop himself from laughing at Daniel.

"Chill Danny-Boy," Jonah says, "I'm just teasing, I mean we're moving past that right?"

"Right."

"Besides, today I've only got eyes for you."

xxx

Jonah is not sure what possesses him to allow Daniel to drag him into Game. He must have switched off for a moment because it seems like one moment they were out on the street chatting and the next Jonah is stood in the aisle of the shop surrounded by people who look like they actually know what they're looking at.

It's not that Jonah dislikes gaming, he hasn't participated enough to really form an opinion, it's more that it doesn't appeal to him and so Jonah's knowledge of the subject is subpar at best.

Jonah can see the moment Daniel realises how hopelessly lost Jonah is. He pauses in the aisle and his mouth hangs open just a little bit.

"You seriously don't game?" He asks as if he can't believe it.

"Not really."

"Not even FIFA?"

"I mean I've played a couple of matches."

"I have so much to teach you," Daniel says, "I mean how can you be a seventeen year old boy who's done nothing more than play a couple of matches on FIFA?"

"Well unlike some I actually have a life."

"Hey," Daniel replies and Jonah's heart sinks when he realises Daniel sounds more hurt than annoyed.

"I didn't mean it like that Daniel; they just don't appeal to me."

"Oh, right, okay."

The look of dejection on Daniel's face is enough to make Jonah question his life choices. It's the way his shoulders sag and the teasing smile slips off his face. Jonah doesn't realise it but he quite liked the smile being there and so he decides to try something that he hopes might put it back.

"But I guess maybe you could educate me sometime," Jonah says.

He doesn't want to say that, Jonah would happily go his whole life without playing videogames but the look on Daniel's face is so worth it because the smile is back and as a result Jonah feels his heart lift just a little bit.

Luckily for Jonah, the pair are out of the shop before too long. Daniel manages to prise himself away when he realises Jonah is growing impatient and Jonah is not sure he has ever been more happy to see the High Street.

It's not so much that Jonah completely despised being in there, it is more that he is pretty sure that there is nothing worse in life than being stood somewhere you clearly don't belong and for Jonah, Game is most definitely one of those places, infinitely made worse by the fact that he is surrounded by things he doesn't understand.

The two of them carry on walking down the street and Jonah decides to learn to know more about Daniel in the only way he knows how.

"Favourite song?" He asks Daniel.

"You already know my favourite band."

"I know that," Jonah says, almost sighing, "but I want to know your favourite song because not only are the two sometimes massively different but it also reveals a lot about you."

"I feel like you're waiting for me to say something cliché like Same Love by Macklemore."

"Hey, if that's your favourite song then I'm not one to judge," Jonah says quickly, "I mean I know you were joking but even if you're favourite song was by some tween-pop icon I'd respect it, I mean it's your favourite song for a reason. For some reason you connect with it, with the lyrics or the feeling and who am I to say that you're wrong or that you've chosen badly. I don't think you can pick your favourite song or your music taste or anything like that, it's like friends, you're just kind of stuck with what you get."

"Profound," Daniel says teasingly and Jonah feels his cheeks heat up.

The two settle into silence and Jonah watches in amazement as their feet move in synchronisation along the pavement. Jonah hadn't even noticed but now he's fascinated by it.

"It's Jamie All Over by Mayday Parade," Daniel says quietly, "that's my favourite song."

"I don't think I've ever listened to it."

"You should."

"Maybe I will, just for you," Jonah replies suggestively.

"Thanks," Daniel says and Jonah is pleased to see that Daniel's cheeks are now tinged red, "so what's your favourite then."

"That's like asking a mother to pick her favourite child!"

"You just asked me!"

"But still..."

"Jonah," Daniel says gravely, "if you refuse to answer this question then I'll force you to drink coffee."

"You wouldn't!"

"Oh... I would."

Jonah knows Daniel is only teasing but the thought of drinking the vile substance is so abhorrent that Jonah instantly turns his attention to thinking about what his favourite song actually is.

"Hustler by Josef Salvat, like the lyrics in that song are just... wow. I could listen to it on repeat."

"I've never heard of it."

"You should listen to it," Jonah tells Daniel, echoing Daniel's words from earlier.

"Maybe I will."

"Well you definitely should," Jonah's feet stop moving and Daniel looks at him in confusion, "can we go in here?"

"Course."

As soon as Jonah walks into HMV his eyes flit around the shop. He knows this store like his own home but that doesn't mean that he doesn't need to reassure himself that he's heading in the right direction. Luckily, he is, and Jonah lets his feet carry him to a rack of CDs and he quickly begins flicking through them, he knows exactly what he is looking for.

Taking a break, Jonah looks up briefly and is amused to see that Daniel looks just as uncomfortable as Jonah did before. Jonah thinks that he should be perhaps entertaining Daniel so that he doesn't look quite as lost but that will just slow Jonah down, and he gets the feeling that whilst Daniel doesn't mind being in here, he'd also quite like to leave as soon as possible.

Jonah finds his CD quickly and turns towards Daniel.

"I'm just going to pay for this."

The queue at the till is surprisingly long and Jonah taps his foot impatiently as he waits for the people in front of him to be served. It seems as if the line is moving at the slowest pace known to humanity and Jonah finds himself humming along to the song being played over the shop speakers under his breath. Jonah resists the urge to dance, it's hard, but he manages it.

As soon as he's received his change from the cashier Jonah paces quickly towards Daniel and offers him a friendly smile.

"Lunch?" He asks.

"Hell yeah."

xxx

Daniel fidgets nervously in his seat. He's not sure what it is but he can't get comfortable, he's restless and his thoughts feel scattered and he can't decide what he wants to be doing. On the one hand he'd quite like to be snuggled up under his duvet watching Netflix but on the other there's something about hanging out with Jonah that makes Daniel happy. Something to do with his relaxed personality or his unquestioning acceptance or his smile that Daniel can't help to return. And Daniel most definitely does not like him anymore - because Daniel now realises that was lust rather than anything close to love and well, there are other people for Daniel to lust over - but Daniel is relieved to be able to call Jonah Clarke his friend.

But Daniel is restless and his movements do not go unnoticed by Jonah.

"Can you please stop?" He asks. "I'm trying to decide what to eat and you're distracting me."

"Sorry," Daniel replies sarcastically, "I didn't realise that you were making such an important decision."

"I don't want to order something I'll regret, you need to choose wisely."

"You take ordering food far too seriously."

"Maybe you don't take it seriously enough."

The two of them are sat in a small, family-run, Italian restaurant that Jonah picked. It's nice, with a homely feel and the scent of dough and pasta sauce lingers in the air.

"So what's so special about this place?" Daniel says to Jonah.

Usually Daniel would have just assumed that the place serves good food but Jonah was strangely insistent about coming here to the point where Daniel thought he was going to be dragged inside.

"It's my favourite restaurant," Jonah tells him, "the food is amazing and the staff are really nice. My sister is dating one of the owner's sons as well so they always give me a discount. Our family have been coming here since I can remember and so I don't think anyone was surprised when they ended up together, they'd been best friends since they met. I always used to throw a tantrum because they wouldn't let me play with them."

"So not much has changed then?" Daniel teases. "I mean you still tend to throw tantrums."

"You're meaner than you look."

"Are you saying I don't look mean?"

"You look like the sort of person that believes in unicorns."

"What the hell does that mean?"

Jonah just shrugs and refuses to answer Daniel's question. Daniel is ready to interrogate Jonah until he tells Daniel everything but Daniel is stopped from doing so by the arrival of a waiter.

"Jonah!" The waiter's voice rings out across the restaurant and Daniel finds himself trying to make his body as small as possible so he can hide, "you haven't been here in ages. Last time was a date right? Did things work out?"

"Yeah, that was a bad choice," Jonah replies.

"Well hopefully you have better company tonight."

"Definitely."

Jonah locks eyes with Daniel and offers him a supportive smile.

"So you'll be having the usual then?"

"Absolutely."

"And you?" The waiter is turning to Daniel now and Daniel can feel a layer of sweat begin to form on his forehead.

This is the one thing Daniel hates about going out to eat - ordering. It is not that Daniel does not know what to order, he settled on that a long time ago. It is more that he feels panic rise in his throat at just the thought of ordering, what if he messes it up?

"The carbonara please," Daniel rushes out, "and a glass of fanta."

The waiter simply nods and smiles at Jonah and Daniel before leaving.

"They really do know you here," Daniel says, "should I expect every member of staff to act that way?"

"Pretty much."

Daniel begins to fiddle with the salt and pepper pots as Jonah talks about the CD he's just bought. It's not that Daniel finds it uninteresting, he finds it very interesting, but Daniel needs to move in some way or another else he feels like he's going to implode.

And then out of the corner of his eye Daniel lays eyes on someone he recognises and he's heading straight towards him. And Daniel realises right there and then that he needs to leave the table if he still wants Jonah to hang out with him. Because Daniel isn't ready to admit it to Jonah yet, the fear of him laughing at him outweighs his desire not to lie.

So Daniel makes a split second decision.

"I need to go to the bathroom," he sputters standing up quickly.

His actions are so rapid that he manages to knock the salt and pepper shakers down so that their contents are now all over the table.

"I'll sort that out when I get back," he promises Jonah.

Jonah has obviously picked up on Daniel's strange behaviour as he looks confused but Daniel is relieved to find that he chooses to say nothing.

When Daniel reaches the bathroom he locks himself in a cubicle and sits on the toilet seat with his head in his hands. Daniel wonders how long Jonah will be engrossed in conversation and wonders how long he can sit on the toilet without it seeming weird. He guesses the timings aren't going to work in his favour.

After a few minutes Daniel decides that he's reached the limit on how long he can spend in the bathroom without looking weird (to be perfectly honest he's probably exceeded it) and so he begins to make his way out of the bathroom.

Daniel can't help but poke his head around the corner and peer in the direction of where Jonah is sat. Daniel is relieved to see that Jonah is alone and takes a deep breath before returning. He toys his napkin between his hands before placing it lightly on his lap and looking up at Jonah nervously.

"You okay?"

Daniel is relieved to find that Jonah is not outright accusing him of acting weird but rather asking if everything is okay.

"Fine."

"You sure?" Jonah asks. "Because last time you spent a long time in a bathroom you were having a panic attack."

"Well I wasn't having a panic attack this time so need to worry."

"You sure you're okay though?"

"For god's sake Jonah I said I'm fine," Daniel hisses quietly, "trust me."

"I do."

"It doesn't seem like it."

There are a few moments of tense silence and Daniel wants to apologise, the only problem is that he's not entirely sure what he should be apologising for. But he hates sitting like this with Jonah because the silence between the two of them has always been comfortable before but now there is awkwardness because Daniel knows he's snapped at Jonah and he feels bad for it, but at the same time he doesn't appreciate Jonah's questioning.

"I'm sorry," Jonah says after a few beats.

Daniel is surprised to say the least. Because Daniel is always the first to apologise, even if he doesn't think he's done anything wrong and so it's a shock to have Jonah apologise to him.

"It's okay," Daniel replies, "I've sorry for snapping too. I'm tired and stressed I guess?"

"School?"

"That and a whole lot of other shit, but hey, I don't really want to talk about that."

"Fine," Jonah tells him.

Daniel lets out a sigh of relief at the fact that Jonah dropped the subject without a second thought and right then Daniel decides that Jonah might just be the most amazing person he's ever had the pleasure to know.

"Let's talk about the bomb-ass food you're about to taste," Jonah suggests.

"Did you seriously just use the phrase 'bomb-ass' in normal conversation?"

"Hell yeah I did. What's wrong with that?"

"Everything, Jonah. Everything is wrong with that."

xxx

The train station is quiet when the two arrive there.

"Well bye then," Daniel says.

"Bye."

And with that Jonah grabs Daniel's hand to pull him into one of those 'man-hugs' that Jonah has never ever participated in before and never, ever wants to again.

"Sorry," Jonah tells Daniel, "that was weird. I don't know why I did that."

Daniel lets out a small laugh.

"Well bye then," he replies.

With that the two of them begin to walk away, the only problem being that they are walking away in the same direction.

"Wait a minute," Jonah says, "which train are you going on?"

"The one leaving from Platform 2 in like ten minutes. Why, which one are you going on?

"The one leaving from Platform 2 in like ten minutes."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Well I guess we can walk together then."

"You weren't on the train this morning though," Jonah points out.

"My mum works just outside of town so she gave me a lift in, else wise I would have been on the train."

"Your mum works on a Saturday?"

"Unfortunately," Daniel replies.

"That must be fun for her."

"She doesn't mind it, she actually likes her job."

Jonah watches as Daniel's nose turns up at the thought as if it is disgusted, and Jonah is suddenly intrigued as to how bad Daniel's mum's job can actually be.

"What does she actually do?" Jonah asks.

"She's a nanny for some family."

"Fun."

"Tell me about it."

"I guess she must be good at it though after having you, you strike me as being a difficult child."

"I should be insulted by that."

"Please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong."

"Nah you're right, I used to just cry all the time and would only go to sleep if my parents dunked my dummy in beer and then gave it to me."

"So you were an alcoholic from a young age then?"

"You could say that."

"Does this mean you're going to be a bad influence on me?" Jonah asks teasingly. "Is my mum going to forbid me from seeing you?"

"Funny thing is," Daniel replies, "I haven't had a sip of beer since then, I think it's disguising."

"You more of a wine kind of guy?"

"Try cider."

"Ooh fruity," Jonah teases.

"Shut up."

"Sorry," Jonah says, "although I have to admit to hating cider."

"What is there to hate, it's just apples."

"I'm pretty sure it's more than just apples."

"Whatever," Daniel replies, "I still think you're weird."

"I'd be disappointed if you didn't," Jonah tells Daniel, "although to be honest I think we're both weird for sitting in a train station and discussing alcohol."

"Is there a better place to discuss it?"

"A bar."

"Touché."

"What can I say?" Jonah says. "I just have this magical thing called common sense, you should try it sometime."

"Been there, tried it, bought the t-shirt," Daniel replies, "didn't really think it was all it's cracked up to be."

"Whatever dumbass, the train's here."

Jonah watches as Daniel's eyes land on the train and he almost think that he spots a flash of disappointment cross the boy's eyes.

"Now you've got another twenty minutes stuck with me on the train," Jonah jokes.

"Ugh, I'm not sure how I'll survive. Tell my mother I loved her."

"Hey!"

"Sorry Jonah, I suppose there are worse things I could be doing."

"You could be stuck on this train with Justin Bieber."

"At least then there's be eye-candy."

"You think Justin Bieber is attractive?"

"No," Daniel replies, "I just think Justin Bieber is more attractive than you."

As the train pulls up to the track, Jonah is not sure that he has ever felt more insulted and so he scowls at Daniel and steps back to allow the boy to get on the train before him.

"I hate you," Jonah mumbles under his breath.

Jonah does not intend for Daniel to hear him but the boy must have supersonic hearing as he glances back over his shoulder to look at Jonah.

"Do you though Jonah?" Daniel asks. "Do you really?"

�����&q�:Ɯ�

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306 16 18
Zac and Kai have been best friends since they were children. Now they are in their senior year of high school together and Kai has a boyfriend, Jason...
1.1K 60 15
Jacob Reyes is in love with Wyatt Parker. And, Wyatt Parker may or may not feel the same way. ©All rights reserved to @cocoapebbles 2022
1.3K 102 25
When Samuel finds himself lost and incapable of facing his problems and the whole lot of insecurities he'd built up from childhood, he comes to reali...
210 18 18
mateo taylor and oliver lee are best friends. mateo likes oliver, like a lot. olivers not sure about his feelings. read to find out if their friendsh...