The Way to Love (Camren)

By ethereal1ty

It's a new fad. 36 questions that one stranger asks another that should make them fall deeply in love in a ma... More

Chapter 1: Wide Eyes, Crimson Hearts
Chapter 2: And to the Memories We Treasure
Chapter 3: For Her
Chapter 4: Reveal to Me the Darkest You
Chapter 5: The Struggle
Chapter 6: Paint the Town White
Chapter 7: In These Fantasies
Chapter 8: You Won't Lay a Finger On Me
Chapter 9: Promises
Chapter 10: Shots Fired
Chapter 11: Where the Heart Is
Chapter 12: Camila My Darling, Lauren My Dear
Chapter 13: The Everlasting
Chapter 15: Mi Princesita
Chapter 16: 2269
Chapter 17: Seared With Scars
Chapter 18: The White Rose
Chapter 19: Brave Honest Beautiful
Chapter 20: Her Fairytale
Chapter 21: Bonds
Chapter 22: Where Your Loyalties Lie
Chapter 23: You're Cold, and I Burn
Chapter 24: Birds of a Feather
Chapter 25: I Wanted Words
Chapter 26: But All I Heard Was Nothing
Chapter 27: And I Will Fly
Chapter 28: Better Together (Final)
Epilogue Part I: To Build a Home
Epilogue Part II: Wide Eyes, In Our Hearts
Sequel!

Chapter 14: These Words Are to Remember Me By

55.1K 957 1.8K
By ethereal1ty

XIV. 

Normani took one arm and swept it across her desk, gathering every piece of makeup she owned. Pencils, pens, brushes, at least a hundred palettes and a few sponges were cradled against her body as she sauntered out of her room, and down into the basement.

"Alright." The girl said with a prepared grin. "Let's get you all fixed up, make you all pretty-like."

Lauren was using Camila's back as a pillow, scrolling through her phone while the brunette underneath her was neatly copying notes from her laptop into a black and white composition notebook. They were both concentrated; so much so that they didn't hear Normani come in.

Normani raised an unimpressed eyebrow, making her way over to Lauren's messy desk and dumping her things down with a clatter. "Yo." She addressed her roommates. "I charge by the hour you know."

Lauren looked up with a start, then chuckled as she rolled off Camila and got to her feet. "Sorry." She said as she stepped over to her stool, and sat down so her head was just level with Normani's exposed stomach. "Okay, I'm ready."

"I don't see why you need to do this." Camila chimed from where she remained on the bed. "Shouldn't job interviews be more about the professionalism than the vanity?"

"Honey, she needs this." Normani gave Camila a kind smile. "I've been to Van Gogh's a few times now, and I know for a fact that slutty is the new black at that place. It's a late night bar in a student driven neighbourhood; she's going to have the edge."

Camila sighed, then rolled over again so her back was to the girls. "Alright, but if the manager ends up being some drooling guy then I'm going to have to give her one of those squirt flowers that she can pin on her chest." She mumbled as she turned her attention back to her laptop screen. "The ones you can get for ten tickets at those boardwalk fairs on the west coast."

"That'll get me the job for sure." Lauren laughed as she let Normani lift her hair behind her shoulders and thread her fingers through the dark locks carefully.

"Do you know how rare green eyes are Lauren?" Normani asked with a hint of interest as she picked up Lauren's foundation and brush, then began to apply it gently across the girl's cheeks.

"How rare are they Mani?" Lauren asked, masking her honest lack of interest in the topic.

"I don't actually know." Normani replied with a chuckle. "But you're the only person I know that has them, so to me they're rare."

"Good story." Camila snarked from across the room, tearing her eyes from the screen only for a moment to give Normani a telltale smirk.

The girl just ignored her with a sarcastic smile, focusing on Lauren and her reflection in the small, light-lined mirror. After the foundation was set, she began to dab a careful layer of primer on the Lauren's closed eyelid, pressing gently with the pad of her middle finger. After an application of smoky eyeshadow and a bold streak of liner, she spun Lauren around to take get a proper look at herself.

"Wow." Lauren blinked a few times, genuinely surprised at Normani's handiwork. It was far better than anything she could accomplish herself, and made the light green of her eyes glow within the darker outline. "This actually looks really good."

"You sound surprised." Normani scanned the table for a subtle, rose coloured gloss for Lauren's lips. She found and uncapped the tube, resting the side of her hand gently against Lauren's cheek. "I assume you forget that I was a beauty pageant and dance competition veteran by the time I was six I was wearing hoop earrings that were larger than my head."

"When I was six, I was sitting in a kiddie pool using baby shampoo to try and get the mud out of my ears." Camila mumbled as she snapped her laptop shut and walked over.

"Real charming Mila."

"Wow, you look amazing." Camila complimented Lauren and letting Normani's voice waft in one ear and out the other. She leaned over and rested her cheek on the side of Lauren's head. Lauren just smiled sweetly into the mirror, unable to talk due to the application of gloss to her lips. Two seconds later, a steel grip had the back of Camila's shirt, and she was being yanked away from Lauren, stumbling backwards.

"No kissing." Normani warned. "I just applied that lip-gloss with microscopic precision. I don't want smudgies."

"You're a smudgy." Camila grumbled as Lauren snorted in laughter from where she sat.

"Alright, change and we'll do your boobs" Normani directed Lauren as the she stood and gathered the outfit that had been laid out on the bed.

"It'll be subtle." Normani replied as Lauren carefully removed her shirt, and slipped on the white shoulder-less top and black leggings. "Just a little bit of shadow to help the bra. Trust me, with this place, they're looking for trashy. You're going to be showing sophistication compared to the bartenders that I've seen there before."

A knock at the doorframe upstairs interrupted the banter, and the three girls heard Ally's voice from a ways away. "Hey ladies? Someone just delivered a package to the door, it's addressed to Camila. Is it alright if I bring it down?"

"Yeah." Camila turned as Ally jogged down the stairs with a fair sized cardboard box in her arms. It looked like it had a rough trip, covered in multiple stickers, tears and caved edges.

"I think it might be an early birthday gift." Ally shrugged as she set the box carefully into Camila's hands. The girl stared down at the package, noticing that it had a fragile stamp on the top, bordered in red ink.

"My birthday isn't until March." Camila replied curiously. "It's the middle of January."

"You never know." Normani and Lauren had both stopped what they were doing, and were now watching with interest. "Open it, maybe there's a card... or a return address on the inside." Normani suggested with a light shrug.

Camila moved to sit on the bed, balancing the box on her lap as she used the tip of her fingernail to puncture the tape. Riley stirred beside her, padding over and sitting down on just by her lap to give it a thorough sniff as well. When the seal was broken, she then pulled back the flaps to reveal a heavy dosage of packing peanuts.

"Wow." Lauren had gone back to puffing out her chest and letting Normani brush a soft bronzer on her skin. "It looks like they weren't kidding when they said whatever it is that's in there is fragile."

Camila frowned, then carefully placed one hand into the box to rummage around for its contents. When her hand came in contact with something sharp, she grasped it, wedging it up so the girls were all able to take a look.

"What is that?" Ally's voice broke the curious silence.

Camila didn't respond, and instead lifted the object clean out of the box to get a proper look. It was a smaller box, made with a dark finished wood and accented with gold linings. Just big enough to sit comfortably in her hands, the box was lidded and hinged, and the front wore a matching gold lock that provided a space for a distinct key. Camila placed it down gently on the bed, then took to the peanuts once more to fish around.

"It looks like one of those jewelry boxes that they used in the olden days." Ally then said. "It's got a lock on it."

"There's a key in here as well." Camila wrapped her fingers around the second piece of metal that sat at the bottom of a box, a single bronze key that was wrapped messily between two pieces of Styrofoam. "I guess I should open it, right?"

"Or we could just enjoy the outside." Lauren shrugged playfully as Normani grabbed her shoulder to keep her still. "I mean, it's a really nicely done piece of wood. It looks like someone might have hand carved it."

Camila was holding back from saying anything, only because there was something oddly familiar about the object. She recognized it, but she had no idea from when, or from where.

"Camz?" Lauren noticed Camila's quiet, and addressed her directly. "Are you good?"

"Yeah." Camila shivered, prying the key from in between the Styrofoam blocks and holding it up. It caught the minimal light that was streaming in from the small window, and the bronze metallic side began to shine. It was a piece of metal that looked like something used long ago to open cellars, attics, or trap doors in dusty corners of old houses.

Camila was sure that there were still some old-fashioned motels in Europe that used keys of this style, but none that she had ever been to in the states. Just a little shorter than her palm, the key held weight, and a series of elegant engravings on each face.

"Give it a shot Mila." Ally said softly, backing up and leaning on Lauren's bedpost. "I mean the worst thing you're going to find is weed."

"The worst thing?" Normani paused her contouring to look over at Ally with a laugh.

"Don't even." Ally nodded at Camila. "Go on."

Camila lifted the key to its slot, inserting the metal and letting the hook on the end of the device to catch on the lock inside. She twisted it, feeling a click on the inside of the box before she removed it carefully and set it aside. Riley sniffed at it, grabbing it into her mouth and going to town on the bronze with her teeth. Camila was too invested to care.

"Open it up." Lauren walked over as Normani finished up and dropped her supplies back on the desk. Camila had the attention of all the girls now, and slowly lifted the lid of the box, prying it back at a ninety degree angle.

Inside was a soft mix of pink velvet and gold thread, and a spring system allowed a small figurine to lift in time with the lid. It was a ballerina, made from head to toe out of a delicately carved porcelain, and coloured a blank, unpainted white. Camila slowly brushed her fingers over the figurine, for the longer she stared at it, the more familiar it became.

"Do you recognize this?" Normani asked as she knelt down so she was eye-level with the box. "Or do you just have some really weird items on your birthday wish list?"

Camila didn't reply, causing Lauren to crouch behind her, nudging her gently. "Camila?"

"Yeah, sorry." Camila shook her head. "I... I feel like I've seen this thing before, I just can't figure out where."

"Is there a return address?" Ally asked, picking up the box and digging through the peanuts. "Maybe a note, or a letter that says who it's from?"

Normani grabbed the box from Ally abruptly, flipping it upside down and shaking it vigorously. Lauren let out a little yelp as the packing peanuts went tumbling all over her ground, causing Riley to jump off the bed in glee and begin romping around in the mess.

"Thanks Mani." Lauren sighed. "After it took me a fucking millennium to clean this room."

"No worries." Normani flipped the box over and showed the girls the empty insides. "But I'm sad to say that there's nothing else in this box."

"Hey," Lauren knelt down and yanked a few Styrofoam peanuts out of the puppy's mouth. "No eating those."

Ally seemed to be the only one still interested in the fact Camila's eyes hadn't left the ballerina for at least thirty seconds. She also wasn't blinking, which was uncharacteristic for anyone, and even more so for her. "Mila?" The girl asked softly. "Is everything alright?"

Camila closed her eyes, letting her head rest in her hands. "I've seen this thing before, but I can't fucking remember where." She hated the fact that the one time she really needed her brain to cooperate, everything was just going to the dumps. "What the fuck."

"Alright, well while you figure that out, Lauren's got to go." Normani was gathering her things. "She's got an interview to kill."

Camila stood up with a sigh, then stopped and blinked as she took a look at Lauren behind her. "Whoa" She breathed, giving her beautiful girlfriend a once over. "You look amazing." As much as she knew Lauren didn't need it, the contouring Normani had done on her chest made it pop nicely. It was impressive, yet subtle, and definitely far more realistic than Camila was anticipating. A little artificial lifting, but not enough to make her look like she was trying too hard.

"You like?"

"Oh you have no idea."

Just before she headed out, Lauren leaned in and planted a kiss on Camila's lips, pulling away and smiling at Normani as she flipped her hair over her shoulder and disappeared up and out of the room.

"So damn cute." Normani scowled as she followed her roommate with a shake of the head. "Just so damn cute."

***

"Is it a souvenir? Maybe something you picked up on vacation that a relative sent you?"

"No... I've never been on vacation with family before. We were never really a... vacationing bunch, I just went with friends."

Camila and Ally were sitting on opposite ends of the dining room table, both staring at the box that was now resting directly in the middle. The girls were trying to combine their brainpower and determine exactly where the unique artifact came from. It was a mission that was proving to be less than successful.

"What about... did a friend make it for you? Do you know anyone who's proficient in... wood carvings?"

"Nope." Camila shook her head. She was trying her hardest to come up with a sarcastic, funny remark to the wording that had been placed before her, but nothing was hitting her.

"Maybe it was addressed to the wrong person?" Ally stood up and began rifling through the pile of mail that sat on the kitchen counter, trying to locate the receipt from the UPS delivery guy.

"But I recognize it." Camila countered, resting her chin on her fist. "There's got to be a reason why I recognize it."

When Ally located the slip of paper she was looking for, she peered at the address. "Hey, it says here that the package was addressed to Karla Cabello, not Camila. Is there someone who still calls you by your first name?"

Camila looked up, her eyes furrowing in thought. "Not— not that I know of." She pushed herself to recall anyone who would possibly be arrogant enough to still call her by a name she really wasn't crazy about. Her father was the only one to call her by her first name, a young Camila had wanted a nickname more than anything, and it was Daniel that suggested she use Camila over Karla.

Incidentally, he was the first one to call her that, far before any of her friends, and even her mom. It also happened to be a perfect way to start her life over from the family issues that had ensued during her already stressful adolescence.

"Alright, well I've got to go and use the shower before Dinah comes back from work and claims it as her own." The Texan said kindly as she headed towards the stairs. "If you figure it out, let me know."

As she found herself alone in the dining room, Camila discovered that silence was an ideal environment to think. She frowned, reaching forward and opening the lid of the box once more to reveal the delicate figurine again.

"Karla, this was your grandfather's last piece of work before he passed away five years ago. He worked for many months ensuring that the gold rimming on this was right, and although it's not real, it's quite beautiful. Inside, he sculpted a ballerina, because your mother told him that she was finally pregnant with a girl, and he was just so happy for her, and for you."

"Really?"

"Yes. Unfortunately, he didn't have the supplies to give her the colour she needed, so she's only porcelain. Perhaps one day you can finish it off, because today, I'm going to give it to you."

"Wow." Camila's eyes glittered with interest. "I promise I'll take good care of it."

"I know you will. It's also a music box." The woman explained "There's a special lever right here, where when you press it, it will play a small tune."

Camila did so, and out of the box came a melody that sounded classical, like one of her father's old records.

"It's so cool!" Camila gushed as she examined the padding of the box, running her fingers over the soft velvet. "I love it!"

"Good." The woman's eyes were kind, soft wisps of slowly greying hair were scattered across the crown of her forehead just above the brim of her eyeglasses. "Then make sure you take very good care of it. There's only one in the world."

"Holy fuck." Camila breathed to herself as she grabbed the box and headed up the stairs into her bedroom. Setting it down carefully on the desk, the Latina peeled the top up once again, and pressed her fingers gently against the underside of the lid that was coated in velvet, feeling around the padding until her fingers brushed a small slit in the material. "There."

She hooked a nail underneath the base of the fabric, then pulled it up, peeling the entire base from the frame of the box. Placing it to the side carefully, Camila found what she had been looking for. It was a card, folded into three sections and creased neatly. The material was sturdier than normal paper, but not quite as thick as cardboard; much like the card stock used to print the average greeting card but tied up with a small gold ribbon. On the front, in a swirled, elegant penmanship, was her name.

Camila took a deep breath, removing the small card and tugging off the ribbon. The card unfolded neatly, revealing a very distinct, swooped handwriting from top to bottom. It was written in Spanish from start to finish.

***

"Just be confident." Normani was telling Lauren as they drove down the traffic ridden streets towards the bar. "Honestly, the way you carry yourself in interviews is more than half of what they're looking for. You can be a billionaire genius with super brainy powers on an interview for a super brainy company and it's all well and good." The girl checked her mirrors as she spoke, changing lanes in a manner which if there had been a police car in the vicinity, would have gotten her arrested. "But if he's a massive douchebag with a serious attitude and a head the size of Uranus, then he's not going to get the job."

"Question." Lauren interrupted as another car honked at Normani angrily. "Why would a super brainy guy be applying for a super brainy company if he's a billionaire?"

"That's not important Lauren." Normani sighed. "All I'm saying is keep your cool, be yourself."

Lauren smiled. "You know speaking of Uranus, there was an original plan to name it George." She said as she ran her fingers through her long hair. "Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and George."

"We're not friends anymore." Normani grumbled to herself as the car zipped down the streets. When she turned to look at Lauren, she was met with a ear-splitting grin. "You're even beginning to look like Camila."

As the girls arrived at the bar, Lauren stepped out first and headed inside. The area wasn't too big, with a standard restaurant style for the main room, with a stage at one side, and an expansive bar at the other.

"Lauren!" Matt was sitting at the bar, dressed in a denim button up, his sleeves rolled up just above the elbow. When he turned, his perfectly sculpted blond hair shifted slightly. "You made it! God the weather out there is a fucking nightmare. Did you take the bus?"

"Nope." Normani replied before Lauren could, a sweet smile on her face. "Her roommate was kind enough to give her a ride."

"Her roommate needs to shut up." Lauren said through gritted teeth as she elbowed the girl hard in the ribs. "How's it going Matt?"

"It's great, we just had another waitress quit on us, so Melissa is in more hot water than ever. It's looking pretty good for you." He directed Lauren towards a small hallway situated just past the bar. "I'll take you with me this way. Normani? We just got a whole bunch of jello shots in for a private party tonight and the guy made way more than we needed, so help yourself."

Normani made herself comfortable at the bar, giving Lauren a nod of support before turning her undivided attention to the tray of shots. Lauren rolled her eyes, then turned on her heel to follow Matt down the hallway to a locked door.

"So the first floor is where the stand up comedians and slam poetry readers do their thing. It's a lighter bar, mostly composed of drinks for the restaurant like wines and slightly expensive champagnes." Matt explained as they headed through the door and up a narrow set of stairs.

"The second floor is for bands and individual performers. It's also a restaurant style, but draws a sketchier crowd." The pair turned a corner, where Lauren was faced with yet another set of steps. "And the third floor is pure nightclub. DJ, starving artists, flashing lights, that kind of thing."

"Sounds cool." Lauren peeked through a few of the doors into the main rooms, noticing the stark contrast in the ambiance between the floors. "So I assume there are separate entrances for each floor?"

"Bingo." Matt turned behind him and smiled. The dim lighting was making his blond hair seem shiner than normal, and his perfectly straightened teeth whiter. "They'll probably put you on third or second, depending on how well you can handle the occasional drunk dumbass."

A few minutes later, the duo found themselves in a small common area with four rooms branching off from the one. "So is this Melissa person nice?" Lauren asked as Matt straightened out his shirt before knocking on one of the doors.

"Oh yeah." Matt grinned. "She's a lot younger than the owner of the place, super chill, and generally an awesome person. She's a lot like you actually, edgy and fierce, which is good when it means scheduling hours for students who demand more and more."

As the door swung open, Lauren laid her eyes on a woman that couldn't have been much older than she was. She was sitting behind a large wooden desk, her feet (in heels) were propped up before her, and a cell phone at her ear. Her hair was streaked with an electric blue, and her eye makeup was drawn to match the colour perfectly.

"Mel...?" Matt paused.

"Look, I understand that you're busy. We all are. But there are clearly issues that we need to attend to now. The semester is already underway, and the place has to get up and going before we get too far in.... yes... well since we've lost our entertainment to the monster known as graduating, we're going to hold open mic night and karaoke on the second floor until we can pin down a few more bands, or at least someone new." The woman whipped out a pen, scribbling something down in an messy notebook. "We've already committed to three dollar Jagerbombs and Swedish berry shots all night on the second floor, and the third floor is just going to be the rum punch."

Lauren looked at Matt, who was nibbling on his lip. "The rum punch is my specialty." He said in a sly voice. It was out of character, but the Latina couldn't help but giggle.

"Fine. Then get me his number and I'll call later today." The woman looked up at the door, just then realizing that she had visitors. "Look, I have to go right now, I'm running a tight schedule here."

Hanging up the phone, the woman tossed it down on the desk casually and rose to her feet. "Hey there, Sorry about that." She advanced towards Lauren, holding out her hand. "Melissa Banks, hiring manager at this here establishment. You must be Lauren Jauregui?"

"I am." Lauren nodded politely, shaking the woman's hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too." Melissa smiled. "I've heard a lot about you. Thanks for showing her up Matt, we'll be done in a few."

"Sure thing." Matt gave Lauren a supportive nudge, then turned and dipped out of the room. The door closed behind him, and Lauren turned her attention back to Melissa.

"Sorry about that rather tyrannical conversation you had to witness earlier." The woman began as she turned and traversed back to sit behind her desk. "I've had people quitting, people graduating, people falling sick, it's just been a serious shit show for the last few weeks. Please, sit. Make yourself comfortable."

Lauren nodded, heading over and seating herself on the other side of the desk. "Trust me, I can relate." She spoke sympathetically. "I have no doubt it can get pretty hectic around here."

"You said it." Melissa leaned back in her chair, grabbing the pen once more and twirling it between her fingers. "So Lauren. Why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself?"

***

"Fuck." Camila finished reading the letter, then crumpled the card in one hand, tossing it against the wall and watching it bounce to the ground. She collapsed on her back, nearly squishing Riley beneath her as the dog began to lick her face. She grabbed the puppy, hugging her close to her body and scratching at the soft fur underneath her neck. Camila really needed a drink, maybe even a smoke. She was ready to do anything she could to rid herself of what she had just read. This one was a new low.

"Hey." There was a knock on the wall, and she looked up to see Lauren standing in the doorway with a proud look on her face. "So I think I might have gotten myself a job today."

"You did?!" Camila bolted upright, still holding Riley. "Seriously? Is it confirmed?"

"Technically nothing is completely confirmed." Lauren smiled, entering the room and leaning on the frame of the door. "But I think the hiring manager really liked me. She said I should be hearing back soon, and it would likely be good news over bad."

"That's amazing." Camila stood up, kicking the note to the side as she advanced towards Lauren and wrapped her in a hug. It took Lauren about a third of a second to notice that something was off with Camila. "Camz?" Lauren paused. Under further examination, she noticed that the girl's body was rolling in and out of a subtle tremble. "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Camila lied, linking her hands together behind Lauren's back and burying her face in the fabric of her shirt.

"No you aren't." Lauren pulled away, grabbing Camila's arms and holding her at a distance. Her brown eyes were full of fatigue, and focused down on the ground. "Look at me, what happened?"

"Lauren, I'm serious. Everything is fine."

"Okay." Lauren didn't believe her in the least, but she wasn't going to push her. Not yet.

"I'm just going to take a nap." Camila then said with a yawn, heading back to her bed and collapsing under the sheets. "If I'm not up in a few hours, yell at me."

"Alright." Lauren nodded softly. She noticed that the box Camila had received was sitting atop her desk, and the lid was open. "Did you figure out where that thing came from?"

"No." Camila lied. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry." Lauren stepped into the room and closed the blinds, causing the warm yellow glow of the room to dull down to a soft grey. "You'll figure it out, I know you."

***

A few hours later, Lauren found herself scanning through countless peer reviewed journal articles to pick out information for her own research paper. The others sat on the couch, and were watching clip after clip of what either sounded like an award show performance, or a pride parade. Lauren wasn't sure, nor did she care. There was one thing on her mind, and it had been for most of the day. "Girls?" Lauren addressed the group casually, receiving an initial silence as a response.

"Lauren, you have to get over here, I think Usher is about to take his shirt off on stage." Normani had her hands clapped over her cheeks, and was gazing deeply at the screen in front of her. Ally was lying upside down with her feet leaning up on the wall, while Dinah was stretched out along both their laps like a human carpet.

"Alright, there are a few reasons as to why I really couldn't care less." Lauren replied as she made her way over to the couch. "I'm going to let you take a shot as to what they might be."

"Oh stop." Normani pointed to the screen. "Just watch."

"I have a question." The Latina countered.

"Lauren, just watch."

Lauren reached forward and briskly snapped the laptop screen closed, cutting off the sound and powering down the machine. "Guys seriously."

While Normani pouted, Dinah straightened herself up and looked over at the girl while Ally's attention was still caught up in her phone.

"What's up?" The Polynesian girl asked as she tilted her head to the side in question.

"Has Camila ever... talked to you guys about her life before school?" Lauren asked. "I mean this school, before New York."

"Not really." Dinah shrugged. "All she's really told me is that her parents are divorced, she used to live in Cuba, and she's got a brother she doesn't really talk to... some kind of falling out, I'm not sure."

"Yeah." Ally was next to agree. "When I first met her she gave me a minimalistic rundown. That was about it."

Normani just continued to pout, slowly inching an outstretched hand to the lid of her laptop. Lauren made sure to swat it away before continuing.

"So she never talked about the reasons why, or any of that?"

"Nope." Ally shook her head. "I sorta assumed it was personal, and if she didn't want to talk about it, she didn't have to."

Lauren was well aware that all the girls had deep histories she knew very little about. Normani was born in Georgia, raised in New Orleans, then relocated to Houston. Ally was a southern born San Antonio native, while Dinah and her massive family found a home in Orange County, and had stuck with it ever since.

She knew very well that each girl had a personalized series of ups and downs that led them to where they were at the present. As all kids in their late teens, they were still tweaking things here and there to straighten out, and compose their lives to point towards their individual futures. From where Lauren was standing however, Camila was the only one who was truly still suffering.

And it wasn't fair.

Lauren sighed, leaning back on the couch, splaying her arms out and smacking Dinah on the side of the head in the process.

"Ow." The blonde grumbled as she turned to give Lauren a look. "Is everything alright with the two of you? You're asking a lot of questions that you usually don't."

"We're fine." Lauren assured her roommate.

"Was it that box?" Ally asked as she tossed her phone to the coffee table and looked at Lauren with concern. "She disappeared this afternoon, I haven't seen her since."

Lauren just shrugged. "I have no idea what's going on with her and that box. It was open on her desk when I went up there earlier this afternoon, and something about her was just... off."

"Did you try asking her about it?" Ally questioned as the squeak of a door hinge sounded from the upper floor. Lauren snapped her lips shut just as the topic of conversation emerged from her room and padding quietly down the stairs.

"Good evening sleepyhead." Dinah looked up with a smile. "Did you have a good nap?"

Camila just yawned, nodding as Riley scampered around her feet and towards the couch. "Although I hate this groggy feeling." The brunette headed into the kitchen, pulling open the cupboard and fishing around for something to snack on.

"Did we wake you?" Lauren asked as she shifted on the couch to make room for Camila and her bag of trail mix. The girl sat down, snuggling against her girlfriend's side and nibbling on a handful of dried cranberries.

"Nope." She said with a shake of the head. "I needed to get up anyway. It might be the weekend, but I've still got a paper due Sunday night."

"Camila, it's Friday." Normani chuckled. "You need to take a break, it's only been a few weeks into the semester and it already looks like you're working yourself to death."

"Oh, and your birthday is coming up soon!" Dinah added. "You need to start thinking about what you want."

"All I want for my birthday is to be with you guys." Camila closed her eyes again, her arms slinking around Lauren's torso and squeezing happily.

"Oh barf." Normani laughed. "I'm serious though. Remember last year? I wasn't sure what I wanted and I didn't tell Ally, so she ended up getting me a leopard print cupcake holder."

"Mani! You told me you liked that!" Ally exclaimed.

"Honey, it was a cupcake holder."

"Ugh."

Camila laughed. "I don't really know what I want. I mean... I'm serious when I say that all want to spend time with you guys. We really have the best time when we're all together." Camila patted the space on the couch beside her, and Riley hopped up to wedge her body right in between Camila and Lauren. After a few circles, she was settled comfortably with her nose resting on two small paws.

"I thought we agreed that the dog wasn't going to be allowed on the furniture?" Lauren questioned as she reached down to run an open palm down the length of the animal's body. "She's going to start shedding."

"But look how cute she is." Camila countered with a small pout, looking up at Lauren with her massive brown eyes and cheeks full of trail mix.

"Fine."

Normani pursed her lips together in a low whistle, while Dinah imitated the crack of a whip. With one eyebrow raised, the green eyed Latina looked over at both girls.

"You're so whipped." There was a look of pure glee on Dinah's face. "Look at you."

Lauren just groaned, switching positions with Camila so she could press her nose right to the girl's neck and accept the truth.

"Don't tease her." Camila defended as she lifted a hand to cup Lauren's cheek affectionately. "DJ, you know that if I was your girlfriend, you'd be whipped too, don't even try to deny it."

Dinah made a gagging noise. "There's nothing I would want less Mila."

***

"Did you finish question four?"

"Twenty minutes ago."

"Can I take a peek?"

"Camila."

Camila sighed, dropping her head down on the library desk and burying her face in her arms. "I'm tired."

"Just a few more hours. I want to get this research done before the weekend starts so I don't have to come back again until Monday." On one end of the table, Lauren sat with a barricade of books surrounding her and papers scattered all around her work surface. On the other, Camila was resting her chin on her hands in a state of half procrastination, half exhaustion. Lauren caught Camila's eye through the mess, sending her a sympathetic smile. "Hang in there."

Camila had finished her paper a few minutes ago, and was now giving fifty percent of her attention to her Tumblr dashboard, and devoting the other fifty to watching Lauren work. On a Friday night, there was hardly a crowd in the library, and the duo had an entire table to themselves.

After another half hour or so of concentrated silence, Camila was only moments from falling off the edge of her seat with nerves. "Hey Lauren?" The Latina asked timidly, eying her bag that was leaning against the leg of the table. "I know you're busy, but there's something I think I need to talk to you about."

Lauren was mid sentence as Camila spoke, and stopped to look up at the girl. "What's up?"

"I figured out where the box came from. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before... I was just nervous."

Lauren snapped the book closed with a thud, sweeping all her things off the table and into her own bag. "Come with me, let's talk somewhere a little more private."

The girls climbed the floors of the library until they arrived at the highest, which housed a large medley of TA offices and IT tech rooms. Lauren pulled her string of keys from the back pocket of her jeans and inserted Ally's key into the one she had grown most familiar with.

"How do you have a key to this room?" Camila asked curiously as Lauren pushed open the door and gestured for her to follow. "Do you have this school wired or something?"

"Yes." Lauren smirked back at her girl. "But no. Ally gave me a set of keys back in the fall. She isn't usually in the office, and when its crowded its a really nice quiet place to just crack down and work. I can cut you a copy if you want."

"Wow." Camila shook her head as she set her bag down on the desk and unzipped the main pocket. "I think I'm good." The inside of the office was perfectly organized, and equipped with a desktop computer, bookshelves stocked to the brim and ceiling high, and a stainless steel coffee maker that was wiped down so flawlessly you could see your reflection in the metal. The room smelt strongly of potpourri, one of Ally's many favourite DIY creations.

Lauren set her things down while Camila pulled out the box from her knapsack and placed it down on the tidy desk. She opened it, reaching under the lid to reveal a small, wrinkled sheet of paper folded into three. "Here." Camila handed the note over to Lauren and stood up, pushing the chair over so she would sit.

"Was is it?"

"Open it and find out."

Lauren unfolded the note and began to read, slowly making her way over to Ally's desk chair as she did so. It was trickier for her, for speaking Spanish tended to come easier than reading it. Most of Lauren's past with the language included seamless transitions from one to the other and back again through the majority of her younger years.

She was well accustomed to her family's bilingualism, yet English was her go-to tongue. Sitting down, Lauren furrowed her brow in concentration as her eyes scanned the wrinkled card.

Karla.

I hope this letter reaches you well. Forgive me for holding back on placing this page in plain sight, I wished it not to fall in the wrong hands, or be damaged on its way to you. I assume that if you're reading this, it means that you have remembered the time we went to my mother's house, and she showed you just how long it took for her husband to carve it for you. She also taught you where all the hidden compartments were, and how she thought that maybe you could use it in the future to hold and hide valuable possessions.

I know very well that your nineteenth birthday is approaching, and I found this box within some of the things we brought from back home. If you do not quite remember, it is a music box, though unfortunately the music aspect of the box has not worked for years. Maybe you could get it working, I'm sure there are many antique repair stores in the city. Regardless, I had no further use for it, and I figured since you loved it so much back then, you would like to have possession of it once again. I know I am early, so take it not as a gift like last year, but as a reminder. Perhaps this will remind you of the joyous times we had, and the memories we made. Your brother painted the ballerina that you see, and it was meant to be a refurbished gift for your fifteenth birthday, your quinceañera, however he never got the chance to give it to you. I am responsible, and for that I am sorry.

I hope all is well with you. I hope that you are safe and healthy. You are enjoying your current endeavours, and you are having a time worth many memories as you earn your education. I hope that you have people around you that care for you, and love you, and ensure that you stay out of trouble. I expect that your mother is just as she has been, is still protective of you, and for a good reason. It doesn't matter if she sees you as frail sometimes, it is for your own good that you're kept under a watchful eye. You were never one to go walking into danger, but I would be lying if I said I did not fear for you every once and a while, especially living in that godforsaken city.

I assume that your mother has told you of the happenings recently. Just as I assume you are, I am deeply saddened by this loss, but I believe that as we have before, we will move forward. He was a strong man, and although he made some mistakes, those who loved him will remember him not for his wrongdoings, but for his triumphs. Perhaps you don't truly remember him, perhaps in time you will, but no matter what the situation might be, time will heal all.

On that note, believe me when I tell you once again that I am sorry. I believe there is no limit to the number of times in which I can tell you this, therefore I will continue to do so until you find it inside yourself to forgive me. Even if you never forgive me, I will continue to do so for my own peace of mind. You are my daughter, you always have been, and you always will be. I will do whatever I can to earn back your trust. Perhaps there will be a day when you allow me to walk you down the aisle when you find the man with whom you are destined to be. To think such a thought brings me much joy.

Happy birthday, and all the best.

Dad.

When Lauren finished, her thoughtful gaze lingered on the floor for a moment, before lifting slowly. There was something in the way the letter was composed. To Lauren, it seemed very off-putting, like there was an underlying tone, or theme in the words that was wrong, or corrupt.

"Oh." Her reply was incredibly dumb on her own ears.

"So that solves that." Camila nodded.

"Does it though? What are you going to do?"

Camila hoisted herself up so she was sitting on the desk. "I could barely get through that goddamn letter without tearing it in half." She confessed. "All of it was bullshit, and I wish I could see his stupid fucking face just to rip it up and stuff it into his nose."

"Wow." Lauren leaned back in the chair. "Alright, so what's the story behind the box?"

"All it is, is an heirloom handed down on my father's side. His dad, my late grandfather, hand carved the box itself when he was put in a prisoner of war camp during one of the wars. A while after he was discharged due to age, his son, my dad, had already married my mom, and they found out that their second child was a girl."

Camila ran her fingers through her hair before continuing. "My mom has a thing for ballet, so he carved a ballerina, and added it to the box, as well as a bunch of levers and a small sample from one of my Dad's old records. It was meant to be for me as a gift when I turned old enough to handle the thing without breaking it."

"How the hell do you remember all this?" Lauren asked with an impressed look. "I can literally remember ten percent of my childhood... maybe."

Camila shrugged. "Some parts stick out more than others." She replied. "But anyway, my grandfather died before I was born, and he never got the chance to paint it, although I think that was his original intention."

Lauren nodded, recalling what she had read just a moment ago. "And he just found it now, and decided to give it to you as a wildly early birthday gift?"

"I thought we had left it in Cuba before the move." Camila's eyes locked on the box that still sat on her desk. "The thing is old and battered, the paint is chipping, and the music part hasn't worked in ages." She paused for a moment. "But I will openly admit that I loved it when I was little. It was like my safety blanket, I slept with it by my bed every night, and I'm pretty sure it never left my side during the day. I can't believe I didn't recognize it sooner."

"It was meant for you huh?"

"My grandfather on my Dad's side died before I was born, but my grandmother was a very significant part of my life. She was there for all the milestones that she could make, for me, and my brother." Lauren listened to Camila reminisce. "But we lost touch with her when my dad left. It was understandable... a part of me always thought she was ashamed of him, which isn't hard to believe. She told me it was meant for me."

Lauren reached over and brushed her fingers on the outside of the box. The markings on it were beautiful, and she could hardly believe someone actually carved it in a prison. "So... what are you going to do with it?

"The same thing I do with all the worthless attempts he makes to reach out to me. Throw it in the garbage where it belongs." Camila reached out to grab the box roughly.

There was something in the way her girlfriend spoke that was stemming an unease in Lauren's stomach. Before she could get any further, the green eyed girl grabbed her wrist, causing her to drop the wooden box back on the desk. "Wait..." Lauren blurted out, proposing a break in the conversation.

"What?"

"Maybe... you shouldn't."

Camila proceeded to look at her girlfriend like she had grown a second head. "Are you serious Lauren?' She asked incredulously. "You want me to keep the box and the letter?"

"I want you to consider it." Lauren stated firmly. "The decision is going to be yours in the end, but just... I don't know. It's not like your dad made the box. It's a handcrafted piece from your grandfather." Lauren knew she was walking on thin ice, but it was a chance she was more than happy to take. "Maybe that fact alone makes it more valuable... that and the fact that he made it because he was so excited you were going to exist. I mean... I'd hate to see something like this end up rotting away in a New York landfill."

Camila sighed, leaning back on her hands and resting her cheek on her shoulder. "I guess you have a point."

"Good." Lauren stood up and stepped over to Camila, inching forward until their knees just touched. She placed her hands down on the girl's legs, pressing a steady amount of weight onto her lap. "I'm sorry Camz." She spoke softly, yet her voice filled the small room. "I know that must be hard for you, just hearing from him again. And for there to be no return address on the package of anything, it seems like such an empty gesture."

"I guess I've just gotten used to it." Camila shrugged. "Although... there were some details of that letter than I really... really didn't want to hear."

"I know." Lauren had picked up on the most sensitive sections regarding the "death" that had just occurred in the family. It was all so twisted, and made her brain vibrate in her skull upon every thought.

"Maybe I'll just send the box home for now." Camila concluded with a shaky breath. She was looking over Lauren's shoulder at the wall and speaking in the most idle of tones. Her voice was matching Lauren's in volume, soft, yet audible. "I'm the only one who knows about where the note is hidden, so I can just re-tape the box and tell my mom to set it in my room. I'll figure out what I'm going to do with it after that."

"You know..." Lauren tiled her chin down so her eyes blazed. She knew a change of subject was needed, and was determined to do so. "Earlier tonight the girls were all up in arms talking about your birthday... but they never mentioned that Valentines Day is before that." There was a smoky tone to the green eyed girl's voice. "And I've come to understand that this would be your first Valentine's Day in a relationship. Is there anything special you've always wanted to do?"

Camila needed a second to compose herself, and for more reasons than one. I'm in a relationship. The Latina recited internally as she met Lauren's striking jade eyes. "Yeah." She said with a small nod. "I think there is."

Lauren let herself fall a little closer to Camila. "And what would that be?"

"I want to spend the day with you doing absolutely nothing. Let's sleep in, eat junk food until we're bloated, watch bad chick flicks until we cry and play video games until we're square in the eyes." Camila's voice had a dreamy tint. "Let's stay in comfortable, baggy clothes all day, make those frozen chicken fingers that Mani really hates for dinner, and then cuddle on the couch while we wait for them to cook."

Lauren grinned. Anyone else would have been surprised that their girlfriend hadn't requested an elegant dinner, a moonlight movie or a night on the town. But it was Camila. Doing nothing with Camila wasn't like doing nothing with someone else. Lauren couldn't wait.

"I'd love that."

"And no gifts."

"What?"

"No gifts." Camila repeated. "Valentines Day shouldn't be about the gifts, it should be about the person you spend it with. I might not have had any successful ones before, but that's something I know for sure. No gifts."

Lauren thought about the proposition for a moment. She had been looking forward to spending the day with Dinah to shop for birthday gifts, but hadn't even started to think about something to get for Camila for her first special day. "Okay." She agreed. "No gifts. It's a deal."

"Great." The corner of Camila's mouth curled into a happy smile. "Now let's cut the chatter and get to the real reason why you brought me here."

"You know, when Ally gave me the key, she specifically told me that I wasn't allowed to bring boys in here."

"The thinly veiled implication being that I'm a boy?" Camila flashed Lauren a look of playful ambition.

"The thinly veiled implication being that when she finds out, I'm blaming you." Lauren corrected.

Camila was the one to lean in and connect their mouths, running through the familiarity of taking Lauren's lips within her own. It wasn't a difficult task, considering Lauren had been inching closer and closer to her from the moment she had risen from Ally's chair. Whatever distance remained was minuscule. Camila lingered, drawing her hands up and linking them together behind Lauren's neck. She couldn't feel it, but she knew the tattoo was there, and acknowledged it by blindly tracing the outline of a dragonfly with the pads of her thumbs.

Lauren hummed happily, sliding her arms down around Camila's waist and pulling their bodies closer together. She felt the gentle scrape of nail on skin as Camila's hands moved behind her neck and she smiled into the kiss. Lauren was only seconds from gradually lowering Camila down against the desk, but was caught off guard when the smaller girl did so on her own, pulling Lauren down with her.

"Couch." Camila managed to murmur as she wrapped her legs around Lauren's waist and arched her back. She felt the girl lift her into the air with little effort before her back touched the smooth leather of Ally's office couch. The piece of furniture held a maximum length of one person, which was perfect considering one person was just what they were.

As Lauren's lips settled against her neck, Camila noted just how strong the girl was. She had one hand trapped underneath Camila's waist, the other playing with the hem of her shirt, and through the white lace tank top, Camila could see the muscles surrounding Lauren's shoulder blades ripple each time she moved.

"I really need to go to the gym." The brunette mumbled as her eyes drifted closed and she thread her fingers through the girl's hair.

Lauren's body vibrated as she laughed. She lifted her head momentarily, gazing up at Camila with a entranced, dreamy look. "Baby you don't, you're perfect." She husked as she let her free hand travel up against Camila's smooth waist. "You're beautiful."

Lauren then returned to concentrating hard on her girlfriend's neck while her hands wandered her sides. It was one thing to memorize a person's body solely by observation, but a whole other to do so by touch. The Miami native let her fingers dance against Camila's slender frame, from the groove of her hipbone to the protrusions made by her ribs. Every dip and turn of the smaller girls skin slowly became rooted in Lauren's memory as if it was something she learned years ago, and never let go.

***

It hadn't been a long day, but Lauren was quick to realize that the events had sapped most of Camila's energy out of her the moment they returned home. Lauren followed Camila up to her room, watching as she dumped her things on the ground, changed into a comfortable sleep outfit and crawled under the covers.

"You're not staying with me?" Camila asked with a yawn.

"I have to get up really early tomorrow to help Normani over at the gym." She explained. "I don't want to wake you, but I'll be here right when you get up, I promise."

Camila rolled her eyes. "Alright."

Lauren stepped over to the bed and hover above Camila with a soft smile. She was careful to draw the skewed covers up over the girl, bundling her into the soft comforter. "The man you're destined to be with, huh?"

Camila turned so their eyes met. Her eyebrow was raised again, this time in challenge.

"I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that wouldn't approve of me... for more reasons than one, right Camila?" There was a hint of a waver in Lauren's voice. Camila heard it. She gave her girlfriend a smile, one that told her to shut the fuck up because no matter who approved of what, she was going to be the one to make the decision.

It didn't even need to be said, the one unspoken, and beautiful element of their relationship that would always have its place. Camila just shook her head silently, burrowing deeper into the warmth of the blankets and closing her eyes.

"Get some rest." Lauren then murmured softly, leaning in and pressing a soft kiss to the side of the girl's head. Lauren then turned to Riley, who stood at her feet panting, blinking rapidly a pleasing look on her face. "Alright, let's get you on a little bit of a walk babe." She said with a smile, causing the puppy to bounce to her feet happily, trot out of the room and down the stairs.

Lauren stopped to flick off the light, bathing the room in the gentle glow of the outer streetlights. "All I want you to do is think about it Camz." She said as she turned back momentarily to address the girl who was lying still and facing away from her. "I'm not going to tell you what to do, nor should I have any impact on what you think is right, or what you feel you need." Lauren hesitated. "I'll love you no matter what choice you end up making... you know that."

The edge of Camila's teeth were sunk deep into her bottom lip as she heard Lauren close the door with a click and head downstairs.

But the whole point of the box, and the letter was to offer another one of his apologies. Camila said to herself as she ran through the contents of the letter a second time in her mind. The Latina had to be careful as to how much she recalled; just thinking about the letter was making her shiver in anger. It's something he's been doing for years, and he's clearly going to keep doing until he gets a response. It may not have been said outright in the letter, but keeping both of those things is like saying that I forgive him.

She knew that it was the moral thing to do. To keep the artifact crafted by her late grandfather as a token of the love that he wasn't able to give to her. It made sense, and it was all well and good, aside from the one, glaring detail.

She didn't forgive him.

***

No more than a few hours into the night, Camila woke with a start, and caught herself staring into Riley's wide, alert eyes. "Hey sweetie." She said softly, gathering the puppy in her arms and letting it snuggle against her neck affectionately. Every day that passed had her becoming more and more infatuated with the animal, a beacon of adorable purity in the sea of inconsistent lies that were beginning to make up her life. "It's getting pretty lonely up here, isn't it?"

Wrapping herself in one of her blankets, Camila headed out of her room and down the stairs, stopping when she noticed the light in the living room was on, but dim.

"Lauren?"

"Hey."

Lauren was sitting at one end of the table, her legs crossed up on the chair and the stem of a wine glass trapped delicately between her fingers. The glass was filled generously with a white wine, sparkling from the bottom up. She had a sweater on, the one that had originally belonged to her brother.

"What are you doing up?" Camila asked curiously. The rest of the house was both pitch black, and dead silent.

"Just thinking."

Camila traversed across the floor to sit in the chair adjacent. Only seconds passed until the green eyed girl slowly slid the glass over so it was sitting directly in front of Camila like an offering. "Thanks." The brunette lifted it to her lips, letting her body roll into the involuntary shiver she felt whenever she drank wine.

"You've got me you know." Lauren said in what had to be the softest voice possible.

Camila gave the girl a long look. "I know."

"Good." Lauren couldn't help but flash Camila a timid smile. "What are you doing awake?"

"I don't know, I guess I'm just not used to sleeping alone anymore." Camila admitted. She set down the now empty wine glass, sighing in the acquired taste that the alcohol left behind.

Lauren rose slowly, taking the empty glass and heading towards the kitchen sink. She didn't speak, only watched out of the corner of her eye as Camila did the same, only steering towards the steps to the second floor. The Miami native was behind her in a flash, arms around her waist, lips only millimetres from her ear. "And just where do you think you're going?"

Camila's heart jumped, and she smiled as she turned around and disappeared down into the basement, with Lauren just behind her. It was a battle she hadn't initially bothered fighting, yet somehow had come out victorious.

The house was left in silence once again, with the ceiling light in the living room still dimmed to its lowest setting, and a lone wine glass sitting in the sink.

***

"Austin, you know that what you did was seriously messed up."

"You know you really don't need to keep reminding me. It wasn't even me, it was the douchebag who couldn't follow simple instructions. I told him to get in there, slip the fucking pills into her pockets, and then get the police over. Not to slip it into her goddamn drink and fuck her."

"What the fuck even happened to Wilde? I know he definitely got kicked out of the school, but did he end up moving back home?"

"His christian crazy parents had him sent away to some reform camp. I've met them they're fucking infuriating bastards who don't know up from down or Adam from Eve. And of course the police and the school ended up giving them all the drugs they found."

"Which you had everything to do with."

"Shut up Alex. Talk like that will just get me into more trouble. Don't you want the team to get anywhere in the next three years? That's precious money they're fucking throwing to the dogs right now and all I can do is sit from the sidelines and watch while you get your ass pummelled by the worst teams in the league."

"They've kicked you out of the school dude. You're not coming back. And what the hell are you even doing now?"

"My family owns the Chateau Maison in Brooklyn. I'm just gonna work there until I can rent my own place and get the fuck out of their house. I don't need much, only to stay on their good side for a little while longer."

"Chateau Maison? You mean that pretentious place on Bedford? Why the hell would you want to work there? There are a million places right here in Manhattan that could use an ex-varsity athlete. Just be a towel boy or something. Anythings got to be better than bartending."

"Shut the fuck up, it's an easy score, no interview, no background check, fair pay. Just don't come crawling over to me when the summer rolls around and your parents don't let you go back home."

"Whatever dude. So what are you going to do about those girls you harassed?"

"I didn't harass anyone."

"Austin. I'm fucking serious right now."

"What do you want me to do? March into one of their classes and apologize on the jumbotron? Just leave it. It's done, it's over, and I'm pretty sure just like I have, they've moved on as well."

"Fine. But you have to promise me you won't end up messing with them again. I know you, if there's someone you want to find, you have ways of finding them. Just leave them be, I'm sure that girl didn't deserve the torture you put her through anyways."

"Right. You don't think I learned my lesson?"

"In the past, learning in general has proved to be a challenge for you."

...

"As if I'm going to mess with them a second time."

"You better not be kidding."

"I wouldn't dare."

***

A/N: Just a lot of story progression. Hope you guys enjoyed, and as always - please feel free to send me suggestions, questions, comments, concerns, all that good stuff.

Thank you for reading, and sorry for any mistakes,

~ Rory

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 370 34
It's been a long time coming. their fall out was just inevitable. The one thing that was unexpected though was falling in love with each other or eve...
292K 6.2K 39
One of the hardest things to deal with is being secretly in love with your best friend.
117K 7K 15
Camila has spent the last few months of her life talking to a girl who she thinks she's falling for. But she has no idea who the girl actually is, or...
8.5K 250 24
What happens when you love everything about someone, but can do nothing about it?