Yuechan {Ambw)

By LBKeen

Cam Freeman wanted to party when she went to study abroad. Instead she was swept up by some elders for four... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven

Chapter Four

119 20 5
By LBKeen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Four

Yuechan

Yuechan spent her time wandering about her space and gathering ingredients from her large yard. Organizing things to be used for food at a later time. She wasn't sure how she, and the Lu family that were being exiled would be treated. Prior to today, she'd aready made stew and frozen it in many baggies.

She'd gone with making her grandmothers beef stew, followed by kimchi stew and then she'd made oxtail soup. Large amounts she then froze in large plastic baggies so they could pull them our and boil it as they traveled. Not only that she'd used YouTube to watch how to make bread from scratch and made a few loaves to be frozen as well.

The better prepared she was, the better she could navigate the long travel to the south.

No matter how she'd questioned Madame Lu Jiayi she couldn't get a full answer when it came to the arrangements they made for it. But, Yuechan wasn't nervous since anytime she wanted to run she could. Even with her brother, she was sure she could keep them well fed and not to mention...

She exited the kitchen and headed into the living room. Approaching a seemingly blank wall she placed her hand on a hand indent that was carved into it. The door flashed before it vanished and upon entry she found rows of large chest that were opened with their riches displayed.

A bitter feeling hit her, when she remembered Old man Lu bragging about all the gold his family had managed to keep hidden from his government through upheaval, invasion and tribulations. When he'd showed her his treasure trove she'd only thought of the people who'd sacrificed so much to hold on to their legacy from the gold pieces to the jade bracelets, beautifully carved gold bangles. Large swathes of silk had been hung up behind glass covers. Bridal veils that had been worn by the Lu Brides.

Walking over to one, she gently brushed a hand down the frame. Chuckling to herself when she remembered the grumpy old man insisting she'd wear his deceased wives veil. He'd been especially grumpy when she said she'd be wearing a white, western gown to her wedding.

            "You did say you'd find a good Chinese boy for me, didn't you," she murmured. Sighing, she opened the window and removed the veil. "Even thought the marriage us is fake, why don't I wear it."

            With that she exited her space, and opened her eyes to find they still hadn't arrived. Checking to see if she'd brought the veil out, she set it aside and reaching up removed the long red veil she'd been given and replaced it with Lu's. The color was more vibrant, and unlike the other one that was a bit plain this one had golden butterflies sewn over the fabric.

Eventually she felt the rocking bridal carriage stop, and there was some chatter, but she couldn't hear it clear enough. Finally, the door was opened, and she was assisted out.

Having seen a traditional Chinese wedding before she should have been surprised when she descended from the carriage and found that there wasn't a crowd to meet her but they weren't at the Lu residence.

Instead she found herself meeting the deep gaze of Master Lu Yize who stood on stairs that appeared to lead to large structure behind him.

His expression was grim as he descended the steps towards her. "Lu Yuxian refuses to leave."

She frowned. "He does not agree to this wedding?"

Lu Yize expression turned frustrated, "He has expressed reluctance at the idea of forcing a woman to endure the long journey with him.  Also, in the face of his affections for—," He bit his lower lip his deep gaze flickering with many darker emotions. "He feels he'd only give his bride a miserable life."

"At least he has a conscious."

Yuechan couldn't help thinking, removing her hand from the servants she held it out to the man who was to become her father-in-law. "Take me to my husband, we cannot miss the auspicious hour because of him."

Lu Yize, taken aback took her hand despite his shifting emotions. "Are you sure, it's seen as bad luck for a bride to enter such a place filled with death."

Lightly stepping forward, Yuechan chuckled. "I see nothing wrong with meeting my groom. No matter where he is."

The two left the servant behind and headed up the steps into the dungeons of the outer palace.

**

The cold of the Dungeons was comparable to her fridge. Yuechan thought as they stopped to be checked by the guards, a few glancing at her in surprise and confusion. Due to her veil, they couldn't see her face but they could see she was tall and had a good figure. Her every movement spoke of elegance and grace, her long fingers lightly placed on Master Lu Yize's arm didn't flinch or tremble as she followed them past other cells and a few screams echoed out.

The guard leading them finally stopped at the cell at the far back.

"Here, Lu Yuxian you have guest."

Lu Yuxian

Former General Lu Yuxian had told his father he wouldn't damn an innocent girl to live in misery with him. The shame he'd brought his family had been motivated by his own selfish desires. Despite his closest subordinates' words, he'd been so enamored with the feelings of being someone's hero and besting the crown prince he'd lost sight of everything else to his own detriment.

Not only did he not lose his head, but his highness was sending him far form his home and his family to serve for the rest of his life fighting bandits and barbarians. Dying at their feet would never completely cleanse the stain of his actions from the Lu name, nor would it change that he'd been tricked by the very woman he'd sought to protect.

He'd shaken hands with the devil 3rd prince to raise his banner and betray the current emperor all for her. Only for her to make it clear that she cared nothing for him.

"Marriage?"

Don't make him laugh. He wanted to rip himself apart and scream to the sky his hatred for himself. Could he still call himself a man if he damned a woman to endure the storm and rain with him? No.

So, when his father had come to tell him he was to be married he'd rejected him. Shouted at him ugly words, with hopes that the Lu family would finally see him for the failure he was.

Imagine his surprise when not only did his father not leave, but he'd even brought his bride back with him.

Rising to his feet, he stormed to the gate. "What are you doing? I told you to leave!"

He shouted, not caring if he was being unfilial.

Narrowing his eyes on the red robed woman he snapped, "I have no intention of marrying you. Our Lu family has wasted your time. "

Where he expected her to retreat, or at least take a step back she removed her hand from his fathers forearm and lightly chuckled.

"I have heard, in your words. You wish to not damn a young woman to suffering along side you," her voice was low and husky. Lu Yuxuan found himself somehow soothed by her voice, he quickly squashed those feelings.

Taking a step back he crossed his arms, glaring at her.

"If you have heard, then why are you here?"

"Because I don't take orders form a man who is not my husband."'

"You—." "Master Lu Yize, would you mind giving us some space?"

Lu Yuxuan glared at his father. "There is no need, take her with you."

His father ignored him, and retreated leaving the two of them alone aside from the guard who still remained.

"You are a lot more handsome, than I first thought you'd be," her curios tone of voice drew his attention. "Honestly, if I had to choose between the Crown prince, or you. I would most likely choose you."

Hearing such words flustered Lu Yuxuan, he scoffed to cover it up. "Then you're blind. There is nothing left to me other than being traitor."

"Really, you're tall, have beautiful long black hair. Eyes that could stir one to drink, as well-as a well proportioned figure from using martial arts.  And those are only your physical traits, what of your accomplishments? You became a scholar at the age of fifteen, only to pick up a sword and hide your name so you could rise through the ranks, one step at a time." His brides robes rustled against the floor as she approached. "A man who understands why it's important to start from the bottom and slowly climb his way to the top. During the coup, you refused to kill the innocent and insisted in only fighting those who picked up a blade."

"Stop," Lu Yuxuan averted his face and covered it with his left hand while holding his right hand out. As if he wanted to ward off her words physically. "That's enough."

Once again she chuckled, before her tone turned serious. "I am under no illusion of what can happen once you, my brother and I are taken away to travel to the boarder. I'm also aware that the border is a lawless place, with many factions attempting to own it and control it. While there, it is not likely we will get aid on time, nor will we have many willing to defend us. It is most likely the emperor, despite agreeing with the Crown Prince choice of banishment will attempt to kill you as we travel, and even once we're settled. The men he will send, thousands of soldiers who are not favored or are seen as problematic will be with us."

Revealing  a brown hand from within her robes she tapped a well-manicured nail against the bars. "For some this would be a horrible situation. A dead end where they could only see an abyss in front of them as if all roads to survival have been cut off."

Lu Yuxuan swallowed, because he felt exactly as she described. As if all his dreams, desires and hopes had all been swept off the table and he had nothing to tie himself down to.

At 21, it felt like he'd lost everything.

"Not for me, this is an opportunity," her soft voice drew his attention.

"You and I can leave the capital and the lands filled with preset rules and explore the world out there. We can take control of what those believe is uncontrollable, and live a life free of expectations and forced piety. Barbarians? Sounds like a chance to learn a new language and culture, sure we will fight but once defeated they offer up trade opportunities. Bandits? Sounds like future soldiers and farmers to till the land. Everything has two faces, if you become obsessed with seeing only one side you will miss the gold for the dirt that covers it."

Lu Yuxuan found himself caught up in her words. Shaking himself mentally he turned around, giving her his back. "How do you know? You sound like a little girl with too much time to dream."

"I rather be a little girl with dreams, than a grown man who accepts failure," she replied sounding amused. "I don't expect you to love me, or even desire me. I do offer you friendship, a kind ear who is willing listen to your woes. A soft touch that may even offer a hug when you're tired. Tell me husband, does that not sound like a beautiful friendship? Passion won't sustain, but kindness and respect can keep the walls up for thousands of years. Marry me, not because you need a wife but because I want a friend."

Lu Yuxuan hands opened and closed, as he worked through his thoughts. After losing everything, the biggest loss that had affected him was the loss of those he'd confided in. Those who'd trusted him, only to be betrayed by his foolish choices. Maybe, this woman was right. Leaving to start over, even in a place seen as hopeless wasn't bad.

Maybe, going somewhere where no one knew him and throwing himself at fixing the boarder and driving the bandits out would give him a way to assuage the shame running through him.

With his back still to his bride he asked, "If I say yes, what would you expect of this marriage?" He half turned and self-deprecating smile on his handsome face.

"Hmm, respect. Most men in the capital do not respect their wives. They view them as empty headed. They mock them, and taunt them as if they themselves are not the very reason they are the way they are."

Surprised at her harsh assessment of men in the capital, Lu Yuxuan finally turned his gaze fully on her. "Men are the sky, and woman are the earth."

The bridal veil she wore shifted, causing the candlelight to bounce of the butterflies that flirted at the edge of it.

"The sky only offers rain, and light but the earth with that little bit has trees, animals, and humans. It boasts lakes, rivers and oceans. If it were not for the earth, than the sky would garner little to no worship. Man can not live off water, air and sunlight. When a man show care and love to the land, only then does it gain him fruits and vegetables."

Lu Yuxuan gaze deepened, and he approached the bars, and realized despite his bride being tall he was still two heads taller than her. Which spoke to just how tall she was.  "Who are you? They told me you were simple girl form the country."

"I am Gou Yuechan, and I am from the Yi province. Your father did not lie to you when he said I was a simple girl from the country."

"No girl from the country speaks as you do," he accused suddenly interested to see what was under the bridal veil. "They would not have chosen just anyone, but they also would not choose someone too eager for power."

Reaching out he grabbed the bottom of the veil, only for her hand to grab his wrist. The warmth from her palm sank into his skin, and the soft touch of her hand drew his eyes.

"If you remove my veil, I will take it as you agreeing to the marriage."

This was a test. She was daring him to remove it, Lu Yuxuan thought. This young woman was not simple, in fact when he thought over everything she'd said he could see why she was eager to throw off the constraints of the capital.

If she was strong-minded enough to taunt him, a high level general than he felt little to no remorse rising to the occasion. "So be it."

With snap of his wrist the veil lifted and as if in slow motion he watched as a delicate chin first showed itself, followed by soft but wide lips that were tilted up in amusement . They were painted coral red making them stand out against the clear brown skin. Next came a delicate nose and clear, bright eyes that were tweaked up at the corner giving them a mischievous look.

The gold jewelry in her ears, and a single diamond drop rested on her forehead.

Lu Yuxuan found his mouth dry as he stared at his bride. Her beauty was unconventional to the desires of court for pale skin, black eyes, and black hair.

Yuechan brown skin was even and clear, seemed to glow from the inside. Her hair was brown and curly, and a few pieces spiraled against her cheeks making her look more alive and vibrant.

Lu Yuxuan had never seen anything like it. The beauty he beheld was something alive, and warm like the sun.

Those red lips parted revealing white teeth. "I hope you're not disappointed. I've heard that you were engaged to marry the top beauty of the capital."

Lu Yuxuan swallowed; he'd never thought he'd face this problem. As the young woman looked up at him in curiosity. He could only think his father had lied to him.

Gou Yuechan was anything but simple.

TBC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84 0 12
Martin Wind was one of the top fighters in the US. Fight fanatic he was, he kept searching for new challenges and new heights, only for his career t...
105K 1.4K 7
Awakening to find myself in a world teeming with magic, dragons, and fantastical wonders was like stepping into the pages of a novel - quite literall...
244 1 7
The story of a lonely King willing to do anything, to undo the mistakes of his past. Mistakes that lead to the death of his beloved Queen. Mistakes t...
1.6K 78 21
Sometimes things happen to us that we can't control. Sometimes we fight back. Sometimes it doesn't work and the consequences are more than we barga...