๐Œ๐ˆ๐’๐’ ๐˜๐Ž๐” | a.haughton...

By capitalsteezz

"Wonderin' if you're the same and who's been with you.. Is your heart still mine? I wanna cr... More

๐Œ๐ˆ๐’๐’ ๐˜๐Ž๐”
I. a warm detroit welcome
II. falling in love
III. hot like fire
IV. the mim rose

zero.

96 8 2
By capitalsteezz

AUGUST 25TH, 2023

" SICK AND TIRED OF THE LOOSE RAP! "

AALIYAH'S VOICE BLARED THROUGHOUT THE OUTSIDE VENUE'S SPEAKERS, being met with loud cheers from the large crowd in response. Her mother, Diane, held an event near her final resting place to benefit the memorial fund she established in Aaliyah's honor.

A man, wearing an all black suit, stood near the small stage. He watched the crowd dance and sing along to his wife's song. He nods his head along to the beat, waiting for Diane to step to the podium.

"Yoo.. these niggas still cheerin' for wifey after all these years, son!" The man next to him said with a smile, patting his back. "Where lil' man at, Josiah?" He asked, making the other man point to his left.

"Shit Ion know.. he's supposed to meet me at the mausoleum in a few." The man, now named Josiah, responds. He shakes his head. "I still can't believe she's gone, Nas.. like this shit hurtin' my soul."

Nas, who had been a friend to Josiah for years, placed his arm around the man's shoulder before shaking his head as well. "I get you, slim.. she ain't had to go out like that.." He responds.

Josiah opens his mouth to say something to his friend, but was interrupted by Diane tapping the mic on the stage's podium. Aaliyah's voice was turned down as her mother started to speak.

"Thank you all for coming.. Aaliyah would've loved seeing you guys supporting the charities she helped and rocking out to her songs." Diane started to say before looking off to the side, smiling as her eyes met with Josiah's.

"I know I'm supposed to say a few words but.. I think this person's a better fit." She adds as her smile grew. "I know you guys know him as Aaliyah's husband.. but he wasn't just that. He was her best friend, the love of her life.. the person she'd always wanted to be around." She explained before motioning over to the man.

"Josiah. Please come up here and say something to Babygirl's fans!" She concludes, clapping her hands as Josiah steps onto the stage. The crowd cheers as the man hugs Diane.

The two stayed in that position for a moment before both pulled away from the hug. Josiah takes a deep breath before stepping up to the podium. "Yo.." He starts to say, a small smile creeping onto his face.

"We've all been through a lot to get here. We got Babygirl's music on these streaming platforms and I know y'all was excited about that shit." He adds with a slight chuckle. "But it ain't just about the music.. it's about the impact Aaliyah made on the people around her."

Josiah sighs as he takes some time to put his words together. "But y'all know the fight ain't over. I've been fighting since 2001. I ain't stopping cause that uncle of hers is finally letting the world legally hear her music." He says, earning a few cheers from the crowd.

"I'ma keep my wife's name alive. Y'all niggas know that's my baby!" He adds playfully, laughing at himself. "But um.. y'all niggas keep having fun. Dance, sing, do whatever. Aaliyah would've wanted us to do that shit, nahmean?" Josiah concludes before backing up from the podium, stepping off the small stage.

The DJ turns Aaliyah's music back up as Josiah made his way back to Nasir. "Yo, Nas. I'm 'bout to go visit wifey." He says, making Nasir nod.

"Aight cool. You need a ride?" Nasir asked, watching the man shake his head in response.

"Nah I'm cool, B. It ain't a long walk." Josiah said before dapping his friend up. "I'ma see you later." He adds, fixing his suit jacket.

"Aight, one." He hears Nasir say as he walked away from the large crowd, the music fading away as he turned the corner. He whistles lowly, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

†††

FERNCLIFF CEMETERY
AND MAUSOLEUM

JOSIAH WALKS UP THE STEPS TO THE MAUSOLEUM, walking inside. He's only been here a handful of times since the funeral, choosing to stay away from the physical reminder of Aaliyah not being with him on this side of earth.

The sounds of his shoes clicking the tile floor echoed throughout the building as he made his way to his wife's plot. He remained silent as he now stood in front of the site, seeing her name in big letters along with her birth and death year.

"Aaliyah?.." He called out, taking his hands out of his pockets. "I've been slackin' on my visits. I'm sorry." He adds as if he could get a response. "It's been a minute.. Static's gone.. X and Magoo just passed.. Missy and Tim ain't been talking to me since you died.." He rambled before shaking his head.

"Baby boy's a grown man now though.. he looks just like you." Josiah says with a slight smile. "Got your dimples.. your quiet demeanor.. everything you had... he's got." He adds before sitting down on the bench across from the site.

His smile fades as he rests his hand on the palm of his hand. "You ain't had to get on that plane, Liyah." He says before sitting up straight. "Them niggas ain't had to go all the way to the Bahamas for that shit either.."

He was still taking the girl's death hard. Who wouldn't? They were supposed to get married a month after that happened. They were supposed to live a happy life with their son.. and possibly more kids down the line.

She was pregnant with their second child when she died, and man was she excited about that. He remembered Aaliyah praying that it was a girl so they could name the baby after her.

"Lil mama would've been like.. twenty-two this year." Josiah started to say before shaking his head. "We was supposed to travel around the world when you got back.. you promised me that, Liyah.." He adds, shaking his head.

He felt his eyes water. She died too young. Numerous birthdays passed, and she was still twenty-two. Josiah found himself growing older while Aaliyah stayed the same age.

"I really couldn't bring myself to come here.. I hate seeing you like this, man.." Josiah says, feeling tears roll down his face. "I couldn't eat.. sleep.. I couldn't even breathe." He adds as he tried to hold in his cries.

"All I did was cry, Liyah.. I could've saved you." He expressed. He thought if he answered the phone when she called, she would still be here. Maybe if he went, he would've said something to make them stay another day.

"Despite the arguments, our first breakup.. you still loved me. You were the sweetest person I ever met, man.." Josiah says, sniffling softly. "I constantly find myself falling deeper in love with you.. even if you're not with me anymore."

He looks up at the site, taking in that she was just within arms reach. But he couldn't touch her. He sighs, leaning forward. "Can we go back in time?.. just for a moment?" He asked as if Aaliyah could respond.

It's been a minute since Josiah sat down and reflected on his relationship with Aaliyah. So why not do it now?

As if she said yes, Josiah smiles before rubbing his hands together. "Man.. I remember the day we met like it was yesterday.." He starts to say, chuckling to himself.

"We hated each other for no reason.." He adds, laughing softly. "But we couldn't stay away from each other.. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.."

He takes a deep breath before closing his eyes. He allows himself to be relaxed, taking another deep breath.

"Detroit, Michigan.. 1996.. The day we locked eyes for the first time.."

†††

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 235 24
When i'm not around do you think of me? Or what the jealous ones claim me to be?
5.6K 194 24
Read to find out !!
329K 10.1K 34
When Chicago and Memphis Link Up....This is what you get๐Ÿ–ค