The Birlas' - BHAVANA

By man1sh0

This is Part - 3 of a story that takes off from where it ended in The Birlas' - PARINAMA. It traces the life... More

DISCLAIMER
INTRODUCING THE BIRLA CLAN
INTRODUCING OTHER MAJOR CHARACTERS
PROLOGUE
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
Chapter - 1 : A Brother And A Sister (Part - A)
Chapter - 1 : A Brother And A Sister (Part - B)
Chapter - 2: True Friend (Part - A)
Chapter - 2 : True Friend (Part - B)
Chapter - 3: Truth Revealed (Part - A)
Chapter - 3: Truth Revealed (Part - B)
Chapter - 4 : Plan Of Action (Part - A)
Chapter - 4 : Plan Of Action (Part - B)
Chapter - 5 : All Is Good In The Hood (Part - A)
Chapter - 5 : All Is Good In The Hood (Part - B)
Chapter - 6: Emotional Outburst (Part - A)
Chapter - 6: Emotional Outburst (Part - B)
Chapter - 7: All Is Well? (Part - A)
Chapter - 7: All Is Well? (Part - B)
Chapter - 8: Reactions Galore (Part - A)
Chapter - 8: Reactions Galore (Part - B)
Chapter - 9 : Head On (Part - A)
Chapter - 9 : Head On (Part - B)
Chapter - 10 : A Suggestion (Part - A)
Chapter - 10 : A Suggestion (Part - B)
Chapter - 11: Roohi's Reasons (Part - A)
Chapter - 11: Roohi's Reasons (Part - B)
Chapter - 12: Is That A Green Signal? (Part - A)
Chapter - 12: Is That A Green Signal? (Part - B)
Chapter - 13: Motherly Concern (Part - A)
Chapter - 13: Mother's Concern (Part - B)
Chapter - 13: Mother's Concern (Part - C)
Chapter - 14: Time Waits For None (Part - A)
Chapter - 14: Time Waits For None (Part - B)
Chapter - 15: Preparations and Photoshoot (Part - A)
Chapter - 15: Preparations and Photoshoot (Part - B)
Chapter - 16: Mystery Girl (Part - A)
Chapter - 16: Mystery Girl (Part - B)
Chapter - 17 : Stockholm Syndrome (Part - A)
Chapter - 18: Victim (PART - A)
Chapter - 18: Victim (PART - B)
Chapter - 19: It's Finally Time (PART - A)
Chapter - 19: It's Finally Time (PART - B)
Chapter - 20 : Mumbai Meri Jaan (PART - A)
Chapter - 20 : Mumbai Meri Jaan (PART - B)
Chapter - 21: Poppy And Ru (PART - A)
Chapter - 21: Motherly Face - Off (Part - B)
Chapter - 22: Aradhna and Neil (Part - A)
Chapter - 22: Aradhna and Neil (Part - B)
Chapter - 23: Kind of Confession (PART - A)
Chapter - 23: Kind of Confession (PART - B)
Chapter 24: Difficult Discussions (PART - A)
Chapter 24: Difficult Discussions (PART - B)
Chapter - 25: Point To Be Proven (PART - A)
Chapter - 25: Point To Be Proven (PART - B)
EPILOGUE
Suggestions!!!

Chapter - 17 : Stockholm Syndrome (Part - B)

236 38 28
By man1sh0

Fair warning! This is a heavy chapter. Read at your own risk. Please keep a box of tissues handy.

Next update after I get a minimum of 35 votes on every chapter of this book. If this isn't gettable, please let me know why. If it is gettable, get it done kindly. 

Lots of love

Manisha Krishna

In the process of delving deep into Abhimanyu's past trauma, Divyanka also got to know his past with his parents and childhood trauma in the last couple of sessions. That was a key aspect which was tying things together much better than before. But she was still hesitant. 

Divyanka was trying to jot down everything and analyze his mental state during the time between the sessions when she got Abhimanyu's message. His message kind of cemented her beliefs and gave her the feeling that she was on the right path. 

But she needed some crucial data and a lot of assurance from his trusted mates to go ahead with it. She didn't want to confuse Abhimanyu with her theories. Using medical jargon to complicate things was so not her. 

Divyanka actually wanted to help Abhimanyu trace it out himself. He is a smart man. He is a Doctor. Knows a lot of stuff already and she was sure that he was doing his own research on the side because he was that desperate to make this therapy or the process work. 

According to Divyanka, all Abhimanyu would need to figure this out on his own, is a direction and the right motivation. She was confident that he will eventually find out by himself without her help, but she can always help him get there faster. That was the whole point of having her in the picture. Wasn't it?

Once Abhimanyu comes to the conclusion on his own, it will be able to handle it better. The man survived so many traumas on his own and she was sure that he would come out a stronger person, all over again, once he realized the root cause. 

But all this can only happen when Rohan and Neil trusted her enough to share such personal details behind Abhimanyu's back even if the intentions are right. Surprise would be an understatement to describe her expression when Rohan agreed at once. 

In fact, Rohan took it on himself to get Neil along, saving her the trouble of speaking and convincing Neil Birla. She thanked her stars for being kind to her. That aside, she really hoped and prayed that the boys have it in them to deal with everything she was going to disclose, CALMLY. That was the risk she was willing to take for her client's betterment. 

In Neil's Cabin, Birla Constructions:

They were all settled down to have the chat in Neil's cabin. Rohan and Neil sat across her in chairs while she took the couch. They tried their best to mask their impatience, but their body language gave it away. 

Divyanka was an excellent reader of body language. It was a professional hazard and that impatience didn't escape her eyes either. So, she decided to cut the chase and get straight to the point. Divyanka took a deep breath and started talking. 

"Maine yeh meeting isliye arrange ki hain kyunki mujhe kuch cheezein samajhne mein aap logon ki madad chahiye. 

Main yeh Dr.Abhimanyu se bhi pooch sakti hoon per mujhe bahut carefully poochna hoga aur usmein kafi waqt lag jayega. Unhe bhi thodi takleef toh hogi. 

Agar main ekdum sure hoti toh yehi rasta apnati but the fact here is, I am not sure. Aap donon help karenge toh I will get the clarity I need, and it will help me make things smoother for Dr.Birla. 

So please don't think that I am taking a short cut or an easier route. I mean well. You have to trust me." She spoke at length and stopped. 

"Agar trust nahi karte toh aaj yahan nahi hotey. Bhai keliye kuch bhi. Just make sure ki unhe kam se kam takleef ho. Uskeliye humse jo ban padega, hum karenge." Neil responded promptly.

"Divyanka! What exactly did you want to discuss and why at such a short notice? Is something bothersome?" 

Rohan asked like a true doctor. He was more interested in knowing how critical the situation is. This was the first and most important part of diagnosis and he had that covered. 

Divyanka explained how and why she reached the conclusion that she would first speak to them instead of Abhimanyu directly. Neil and Rohan shared a look. They were relieved to know that Abhimanyu was in responsible hands. The explanation ensured that. 

Rohan knew of Divyanka and her ways very well when he approached her. His gut feeling told him that she was the right person and her credentials supported. 

But now that his decision is proving to be a great one, he couldn't feel happier about the fact that he didn't let his Bhai's trust go waste. Abhimanyu trusted him to get him the best and he did. Dr.Divyanka is definitely the best option for Abhimanyu's case.

[Please take some time out and read about Stockholm Syndrome to get a better idea about the condition. I will only be addressing certain aspects of it as per the situational demands. But having an overall understanding will help you connect to the story more. 

I have verified with a counsellor I know personally, and she approved my theory. Still, I would like you all to take it with a pinch of salt and do your own research. I am ok to give an explanation to valid questions. Please don't go too technical on me though. 

I am, by no means, an expert and you shouldn't be taking my interpretation and explanation as a gospel truth. My expertise and knowledge on this topic, with respect to the characters can be taken as the ultimate truth, as far as the story is concerned]

"Jo jo mujhe pata chala hain Dr.Birla se, maine analyse kiya aur mujhe lagta hain ki I finally understand his behaviour and the reasoning behind it. I will explain you why I feel that way and what exactly that condition is. 

All I am expecting from you both is to authenticate my observations based on your experiences and knowledge. 

Sab kuch toh itne kam samay mein Dr.Birla mujhse share nahi kar sakte and bina poori baat jaane, main sirf assumptions ke basis pe yeh theory unke saamne rakhna nahi chahti.

Her tone was extremely professional, and it commanded their alertness.

"Please listen to me till I finish. Then you can ask me anything and I will answer to the best of my capability. Try not to interrupt." She requested and they nodded. 

The anticipation was doing a number on them, but Rohan was somewhere hopeful that all this will end well, on a positive note. 

"Stockholm syndrome ke bare mein kabhi suna hain?" Divyanka's voice was calm, but Rohan's jaw dropped. Neil was clueless about it, but Rohan's and Divyanka's expressions had his heart racing. 

"Kya hain woh?" Neil enquired.

"Neil! Listen to me carefully. It's just an assumption. You need to solidify my doubts. So, listen carefully." Her voice was so calm and even, her face was calm and that somehow reduced his panic a little. Neil did want to be useful. So, he sat back to concentrate. 

"Stockholm Syndrome is a complicated psychological response to trauma that occurs when victims of abuse develop a sense of trust, sympathy, or affection towards their abuser despite the abuse. 

Matlab yeh, ki woh trauma experience zaroor karte hain lekin apne abuser ke khilaf jaane ke bajai, woh unhi ko apna maan ne lagte hain. Unhi se pyaar karne aur nibhane lagte hain. 

In other words, instead of repelling, they get drawn towards the abuser. That is why it is also called as Trauma Bonding." 

Divyanka gave an overview of the condition in lay man terms for Neil to comprehend. Neil looked too shocked to react. The fact that something like that exists in the first place itself was a huge shock for him. Divyanka continued because she knew this wasn't even the tip of iceberg and she had lots to tell. She trusted Dr.Rohan to fill up the gaps once she is done. 

"In Dr.Birla's case, I am suspecting emotional abuse. This can be a reason why he is not able to move on from his ex-wife even after everything she did.

He was in a one-sided, toxic relationship with his abuser once and even after the break-up, he couldn't break free.

This statement from Divyanka was well received comparatively. It looked like they agreed to that whole heartedly. 

"Iski ek aur wajah unki bachpan ka trauma ho sakta hain jo unattended reh gaya tha. Dr.Birla ne uska zyada detail mein zikr nahi kiya but he touched upon it in one of our earlier sessions. 

I am assuming looking at the situation.......ki uski wajah se, hosakta hain ki Dr.Birla ne apne ex-wife ki behaviour ko, unki harqaton ko itni gaur se nahi dekha. Unhe unki manipulative nature ne itna attract kardiya tha ki woh uske beyond dekh hi nahi paye. 

He loved her, trusted her and believed that she was his only solace in the big bad world. Dr.Birla unke bina apni zindagi nahi imagine karpaye honge. 

Unhe lagta hoga ki ek wohi hain jo unhe samjhti hain. Unhone apne ex ko bahut chances diye honge. Unhe defend bhi kiya hoga. 

Dr.Birla ki message se toh mujhe yahi lagta hain ki jab bhi Aksharaji ki baat hoti hain, woh unki taraf se sochne pe majboor hojate hain, unka perspective aaj bhi Dr.Birla keliye bahut important hain. 

Woh aksar bhool jate hain ki unke saath kya kya zyakthi hui, very conveniently aur kafi baar unke abuse ko underplay karte hain. Kya yeh sab hota hain?"

She questioned Neil and he stared at her blankly. Rohan composed himself and nodded. 

"Kya Aksharaji unhe manipulate karti thi?" Divyanka asked specifically. Rohan was thinking but Neil pitched in, 

"Haan! She had a way with her words. Bhai bahut strong headed hain but jab baat Aksharaji ki aati thi, woh kabhi kabhi thode different behave karte the. Mujhe laga tha ki woh pyaar mein..." Neil's voice choked. 

Divyanka handed him a glass of water and spoke in an even tone, "Neil! Yeh koi medical condition nahi hain. It's a set of behaviours jo aksar dekhe gaye hain. Calm down please." She gave him time to let all this sink in before she questioned him again. 

"Kya tum bata sakte ho ki Aksharaji se pehle, koi aisa tha unki life mein jo unhe manipulate karta tha ya koi aisa jo Dr.Birla ke saamne kisi aur ko manipulate karta tha?" 

Neil blanched back but nodded in affirmation.

"My parents had an abusive relationship because of some misunderstandings. Bhai saw that all from when he was very young. He was very hurt by all that. He tried his best to pull our mother out of it, but she refused to budge." 

Neil spoke and Divyanka immediately asked, "You all stay together under the same roof. Your parents are together now. Like a couple.  Are they happy?" 

Neil nodded. Bur Rohan chipped in to clarify, 

"Unke father ne bahut zyada regret kiya apna behaviour. Woh poori tarah se badal gaye hain. Ab woh donon bahut khush hain. Saath rehte toh hain per Bhai unhe completely maaf nahi kar paye. 14 saal baad bhi." Rohan gave her the much-needed context. 

"That makes sense now." Divyanka whispered but both the boys caught on it. 

"What do you mean?" Neil asked. 

"Dr.Birla ne saalon tak apni ankhon ke saamne ek abusive marriage ko dekha. Unki mom ko suffer karte hue dekha. Manipulate hote hue dekha. In sab ke bawajood apni mom ko apne Dad se pyaar karte hue dekha.

Subconsciously, it's possible ki unki mind mein yeh baat ghar kargayi ho ki chahe jo hojaye, pyaar kiya toh nibhana padega. 

The fact that your parents are happy together now and he is a witness to it kind of makes his beliefs stronger.

Everyone deserves a chance. It is human to make mistakes. Everything has another perspective. No one wants to hurt intentionally. Forgiveness is the biggest virtue. Everyone has their own way to love. Love deserves a chance, no matter how abusive it was once upon a time.

All these philosophies and more come under that belief system. 

Unka Aksharaji se naata saalon pehle toota but unke beliefs kabhi nahi toote. Woh hosh mein yeh sab kabhi nahi manenge. He is too smart for that but subconsciously he believes that very strongly.

The live example in front of his eyes, will not let his subconscious move on from that deeply rooted belief system.

Isliye jab bhi Aksharaji ki baat aati hain woh alag se react karte hain. His subconscious gets triggered and he starts defending her unknowingly."

Divyanka completed her theory. Rohan followed it up by adding, 

"You mean to say ki unke father ki wajah se jo trauma Bhai ko hua, uss trauma ki wajah se, unhone Aksharaji se had se zyada pyaar karliya. Kyunki she had that similar manipulative streak. Isliye woh itna sab ghatne ke bawajood usi pe atke hue hain......." 

Before Divyanka could answer, Neil spoke coldly,

"So, he didn't fall for her and get emotionally abused, he fell for her because she can emotionally abuse. Am I right?" His voice was edgy. 

Divyanka answered, 

"Most probably. Ya yeh bhi ho sakta hain ki Dr.Birla genuinely attract hue ho Akshara se but Akshara ki innate nature ne Dr.Birla ko un se tootke pyaar karne pe majboor kardiya ho.

Itna pyaar ki unki saari galtiyon ke bawajood, itne saalon tak, Akshara se hi pyaar nibhaya.

Neil clenched his fists. He didn't like what he just heard. He was angry. He didn't know at whom it was directed but he was definitely angry. Neil didn't want to create a scene. He just wanted to walk out but stopped when he heard Divyanka saying, 

"Dr.Birla is the VICTIM Neil. He needs help. He needs your help. Please stay back!

Neil froze in his spot.

What do you think about Dr.Divyanka as a counsellor and her ways? 

Did Rohan and Neil do the right thing? 

Did you ever read about Stockholm Syndrome? 

Do you think Abhimanyu's behaviour comes under Stockholm Syndrome? 

What will be Neil's reaction to the revelation? 

Well! Let's wait and see.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.7K 3.2K 34
Love...isn't this word so beautiful. It holds the power to make you feel out of the world where you and and your love exist, but what happen when thi...
1.9M 86.6K 56
This story needs to be edited. Highly edited. Read it on your own risk, there are numerous grammatical errors. Love y'all! "What the hell that is no...
8.1K 791 14
"What Happens Now" was what had ๐—roubled the Roy Choudhary's when Aniruddh ๐—๐–บ๐–ฝ brought Manorama as his second wife. "What Happens Now" that Anir...
3.6K 400 18
Akshara Goenka is trying her footing in the world after a traumatic marriage. Abhimanyu Birla is living only for his kids after the death of his wife...