Undertale: Fallen Angel

Da WymanStep

Having escaped their cruel imprisonment within Mount Ebott, monsters have settled on the surface for six year... Altro

Happily Ever After
Keeping Busy
Emergence
Breaking News
Long Time, No See
Escalation
Precarious Future
One Final Question
Refuge
Restless Grudge
No Limits
Game Over
Helpless
Unwinnable
Truth
Assemble
Clarity
Mirstone's Last Chance
Determination

Hope

38 0 0
Da WymanStep

Every step is agony.

Yet, the pain of Undyne's dwindling body can't hold a candle to the heavy dread lingering in her mind. At this very moment, Frisk is alone with that... psycho. Should they lose, then her sacrifice won't matter, and neither will anything achieved in this timeline.

As she trudges across the woods, Undyne ponders if another 'true reset' would really be as bad as everyone thinks. At the very least, she and Alphys could have another chance, blissfully ignorant of the very concept of being separated.

A selfish thought. Besides, while it's over for the heroine, the brilliant scientist still has a very bright future ahead of her- even if the nerd doesn't know it. All Undyne wishes is she could be a part of it.

Shortly after both Frisks vanished, Sans pulled a disappearing act of his own, somehow transporting him and Undyne back into Mirstone Forest. Whatever it was he did, it looked like it damn near killed him, ripping away whatever energy the lazy skeleton had left. Currently, he's out cold, snoring it away in the vast woodland's center.

The heroine always knew both skeletons were weird, but today proved she hadn't even scratched the surface of their bizarre nature.

Speaking of, partway through her exhaustive trek, she stumbled upon a panicked Papyrus, who had many questions regarding the safety of Frisk and his older brother- the latter of which, Undyne could offer some assurance for. In regards to the former, well, the fact they're still here is an indication the stubborn little twerp is still kicking.

Fight on, human. The world needs a new hero.

Papyrus's concern wasn't exclusive to the others. Upon seeing her like this, the skeleton was stunned with worry, but Undyne brushed it off, telling him she'd be fine after some rest. Several things could've clued him to the truth, such as her trembling steps or melting skin. Regardless, he definitely knows, but thankfully didn't push it further, settling on offering some much-needed support.

Arm wrapped around his bony neck, the two good friends made the rest of the hike in total silence. During that time, the sun finally made its triumphant return, shining through the darkness and once again gracing the city and its inhabitants with pure light. Undyne was never a believer in the supernatural, but in her final moments, she can't help but think the brighter change in weather could be a sign of some sort.

Or maybe a statement, brought on by vanquished evil.

Finally, she and Papyrus can see Toriel's house just past a couple of trees. Behind it are its only two remaining occupants- the owner, who lies on her knees, still visibly distraught at the king's passing, and-

"Al...phys," Undyne chokes, not recognizing her own voice.

Both monsters snap in her and Papyrus's direction and they look equally horrified. Undyne can't see so much as she feels her body melting away. The left side of her face is numb, unmovable, and absent of any solidation. Her legs can barely support the weight of the liquefying body they're attached to, seconds from collapse.

"UNDYNE!!" Alphys shrieks, sprinting for her lover.

The two are locked in an embrace almost instantly, tears gushing from behind the scientist's wide reticles. A powerful source of warmth against the cold grip of death, who must be angry at its recent claim's unnaturalistic defiance. Only so long can one delay the inevitable.

"C-come quickly- I'll s-see what's w-wrong, you're going to be-!"

"Don't do that," Undyne smiles, placing an unsteady hand on the monster's shoulder. "You don't have to do that."

"Un... undyne..." she whimpers, her mouth trembling.

"Remember that promise we made?" Undyne loses her vision, globs of flesh blocking her view. "Be happy... with... who you are.... Alphys...."

Any remaining nerves all go limp, making her feel as though she's weightless, detached from gravity's restriction. Even still, without sight or touch, Undyne knows full well Alphys is still holding onto her. Pleased with this embrace being the last sensation she'll ever experience, she says:

"You're... the strongest... person I know......I... love... you..."

Contentment, victory, love- all things too few many can take with them to whatever lies next. Undyne counts herself lucky, having succeeded in acquiring all three, before her thoughts wash away like a gentle stream.

***

Compared to everything they've been through, taking the elevator down MTT Tower and hiking across the city was a piece of cake, in spite of Frisk's weariness and aching feet. Now that the security of this timeline is safe, the true magnitude behind today's losses sank in.

Asgore has died in front of them on numerous past resets, but this time is... permanent, and by now, Undyne will have surely perished. In the past several days, Frisk has cried more than they have in years, and their long walk back home was no exception. Both of their cheeks are wet with sorrow.

Those who are now lost weren't all the human reflected on during their time alone. Everything crosses their mind- The Player, the numerous destroyed timelines, all of the resets, the genocide, Asriel's sacrifice, and the day Toriel first came to their rescue. So many memories would be enough to fill an entire lifetime, maybe even more.

But now they're just that. Memories. Previous events exclusive to what their recollection will allow, forever stuck in the past. All that lies ahead is the future. Frisk was so focused on securing it, that they never stopped and thought about how much they wanted it. No more take-backs, no more undoing mistakes. All-or-nothing.

They smile. Sure, it'll be a challenge. But then again, they've always welcomed challenges.

Except this is one they won't be facing alone. A thought that is as certain as the warm sunlight beaming down at them, wanting to evaporate the water on their cheeks and put it to better use. Reaching the end of their exhaustive walk, Frisk sees them. What's left of their family all sitting beside one another in the ravaged yard.

Alphys is in Toriel's arms, both of whom are coping the best they can with their unthinkable losses. Only several feet away are the skeleton brothers who are having a conversation Frisk can't hear from this distance. A couple of wobbly steps forward and Toriel finally sees them, her eyes wide with surprise and gratitude.

"Frisk!"

The others turn in the kid's direction, relief flooding their unique features. Toriel stands, then she's running, and the human is quickly scooped into her arms, held tightly in the Boss Monster's embrace.

"My child, you're alright!" she says, holding them tightly.

Overjoyed to be reunited with their mother, Frisk fulfills their end of the hug, holding on and not wanting to let go. Toriel's children tend to have a knack for being cry babies but the human doesn't care if they continue the cycle. Their tears are overflowing along with Toriel's. Grief, happiness, trauma, and more fuel the emotional reunion.

Another set of arms joins in, and Frisk's smile grows. Papyrus inserted himself, as usual, unashamed in his passionate feelings. The next addition to the forming group hug is Alphys, holding on the tightest. Finally, Sans completes the circle of love.

An indeterminate amount of time goes by with the group like that, thankful to be sharing this day with each other. So much time, in fact, that the afternoon sky begins its transition to night. But it's okay, because inevitably, the sun will rise again.

***

One Week Later...

Only a fool would have questioned the kid's capabilities. Not only have they resolved the threat of their murderous twin, but also, regained favor in the public eye through no shortage of effort and perseverance. Neil is honored to join them in today's commemoration. 

In front of the lavish front exterior of City Hall, the city administrator stands just short of the wall of bushes outlining the ceremony. Only a short distance to his right is Frisk, standing in front of a podium, speaking of their time shared with Undyne. A close friend to them, a hero to Mirstone.

Gathered here to honor such a valiant spirit is a crowd of citizens, equally split between monsters and humans- something Neil never thought he'd see after the recent turmoil this city has suffered. Of course, that's not to say things have been just peachy.

The recent revelations surrounding Frisk's powers, as well as the numerous dimensions scattered in the unreachable depths of the cosmos, have left many confused about the true purpose of actuality. Millions have resigned their faith overnight, and scientists are restructuring century-old views relating to the theory of the multiverse.

There's also the fact not everyone is sold on the monster ambassador. While saving the world was a start, public opinion is still mixed surrounding the self-confessed murderer. Even if their crimes have long since been undone, the question remains: what could motivate someone to do something so awful?

If Neil can agree on one thing, no person should ever have as much power as they do now. However, if there's any person he'd entrust it to...

While the worst is over, there is still much to be done. A lot of humans may have been motivated by recent events to no longer feel threatened by the monsters' want for societal fairness, but sadly, there will always be those motivated by gross prejudice. Gratitude and shock at the prevention of the world's erasure have put a pause to such discourse. But it will come back, and when it does, Neil will have to be ready.

"-no matter what obstacle lay ahead, she was always at her fullest, eager to overcome it and protect us," Frisk says, finishing their final words. "It's true what they say. When someone dies, they don't go away completely. Whether it be a memory, a legacy, or inspiration, the effect that person has on the world stays. Everything they stood for lives inside of each and every single one of us. So whenever you feel hopeless, or scared, know that the power to avoid giving in to those feelings is Undyne cheering you on."

They nod their head and receive applause from the audience lining the bright grassland in rows of plastic seats. Neil smiles, thankful for the perfect weather. Knowing Undyne, the last thing she'd want is for her send-off to be depressing. 

Finally, Frisk backs up, moving next to a life-sized object veiled in a blue sheet. Neil already knows what's under there, but is just as elated as the crowd when the human pulls it off, revealing a grass sculptor of the heroine made out of pure hedge. A gift from Mirstone Elementary's school garden.

One of the men in charge of transporting it was simply astonished, noting that pieces of this size and nature can take between three to ten years to grow and construct. While the feat is certainly impressive, the impossibility behind its creation is lost once its creator is factored in. Whatever Asgore Dreemurr used in his technique, whether that included pristine craftsmanship, expert gardening, or undisclosed magic, no one will ever know. But the awe-inspiring result of his efforts is inarguable.

Frisk walks away from the statue, allowing a city official to take over at the podium and further honor Mirstone's first monster chief of police. They join Neil at the wall of the ceremony, looking a little somber after expressing their admiration, love, and grief for a dear friend.

"You did good, Frisk," Neil tells them.

"Thanks," they say, brightening up slightly. "Just... it's hard to believe she and Asgore are really gone."

"Hey, you said it yourself, no one is ever truly gone."

Another nod.

"I guess the Mayor didn't want to show?"

"What gave it away?" Neil says sarcastically, sparing a glance at the closed window to the politician's office. "The old grump is still bitter. He's only fulfilling the rest of his term because it's bound by law."

"Guess that means we'll need a new Mayor. Weird, this city hasn't seen one in a decade."

"Maybe you should run for candidacy," Neil jokes. "Add 'world's youngest mayor' to your list of achievements."

"Yeah right," Frisk chuckles. "If anything, you should run."

This catches the politician off-guard.

"Really?" he asks.

"Of course! You've done so much for this city already. I would say you have my vote, but..."

To this, Neil laughs.

"Give it two years and I'll gladly accept your ballot."

"Does this mean you're running?" Frisk asks, arching an eyebrow.

Neil looks at them, deep in thought. He then turns to the gathered citizens, all of whom are equally uncertain about what their futures have in store. So many possibilities, good and bad...

"Yes... it does," he answers.

***

What should've been a joyous get-together quickly became a day of unfathomable tragedy. Days later, when Frisk returned from their journey and everyone tried Papyrus's improved spaghetti recipe, the meal they shared was almost a rectification of sorts for a ruined Emergence Day. Unfortunately, that lasted for a mere few moments before...

It's like the humans say: 'Third time's a charm.' Toriel fishes her blueberry pie out of the oven, pleased with its satisfactory standards. Leaving it to rest on the kitchen counter, the Boss Monster proceeds to the living room, passing by the table occupying Frisk, Sans, Papyrus, and Alphys. The rowdy bunch is in the midst of a rather fierce game of cards.

"YOUR MOVE, HUMAN!" Papyrus yells, confidence unhidden in his provocation.

Several seconds go by without a word from Frisk, who is likely deep in contemplation over what their next play will be. Turns out that whatever it is they decided, it results in a very happy skeleton.

"NYEH HEH HEH!" he laughs, slamming a card down with enough force to rock the table. "ULTIMATELY BESTED BY THE GREAT PAPYRUS ONCE MORE!!!"

"Who s-stacked this deck?" Alphys ponders aloud.

"Nice win, bro," Sans tells him.

"THERE THERE, FRISK, BE LIKE ME AND KEEP YOUR 'WIN' UP."

Stunned silence follows. 

"Papyrus, did you just...?" Frisk begins.

The skeleton shrieks in agony, or is it shame... maybe both?

"MY BROTHER'S CURSED INFLUENCE HAS BEGUN ITS CORRUPTION!"

Both Frisk and Alphys share an honest laugh.

"Paps... you've made me so proud," Sans says in a jokingly serious tone.

Toriel smiles before widening the open blinds further, ushering in more sunlight. Afterward, she begins making her way back to the table where everyone else is already seated. Mettaton, Undyne, Asgore... it's not easy pretending they're not here. In actuality, today is the most their absence has struck out since the day of their passing, and the others are clearly dealing with their own grief. Especially Alphys. 

But it'd be disrespectful to not enjoy what they gave up. Last week was the time to mourn. Today should be about living, no matter how much it hurts. 'Queen Toriel' has had plenty of practice.

With Asgore now gone, the monsters need someone they can look to for guidance. Toriel swore to never again go back to her former life as royalty, but right now, there are seldom any options. Even though it is temporary, giving up teaching was one of the harder decisions she's made in recent years. The only benefit is she and Frisk will get to spend some more time together since they're both in leadership roles.

Speaking of Frisk, their narrow eyes are locked on her. It catches Toriel by surprise after zoning off, but the even greater surprise is the look of worry on their face. 

"Is there something wrong, my child?" she asks, reentering the kitchen.

The anxious teenager looks to Sans who gives them a reassuring nod. Next, they look back at their mother.

"No more secrets, Mom," they say, rising out of their chair. "Sans can give us a shortcut."

Now the Boss Monster's curiosity gives way to concern.

"A shortcut- secrets- I- what is it you want me to see, Frisk?"

They pause before answering:

"Asriel."

***

Gardening is a tedious past time, and Flowey has had seven uneventful years to contemplate just how annoying his- Asriel's father's taste in hobbies was. Still, it at least gave the weary flower some practice.

Held within the tight grip of a lone vine is an old, stained water can. From its nozzle pours nourishing droplets of H20 that glisten in the allotted sunlight provided by the hole in the encompassing cavern above. In they go into the flower bed that serves as Chara Dreemurr's grave, sustaining the neat foliage with further life.

Sometimes, the sentient plant wonders if their long-ago friend is aware of the efforts Flowey goes through to maintain their burial. If he knows Chara, they'd probably call him an idiot. They don't deserve such kindness, something the troubled child would have no qualms about admitting- not that the former prince would need a reminder. 

Nothing has followed the smiley trashbag's inquiry about a third factor capable of resetting. After he left, Flowey was confident another timeline erasure would be underway. A prospect that didn't upset him all that much, since he had more of a blast terrorizing the underground than he is now, pointlessly clinging to life, not unlike the plants he's currently tending to-

Someone is here.

He can feel the surrounding Earth react to a sudden increase in pressure a few meters ahead. Three people from what he can gather. But how did they get here so fast? He should've sensed them coming. Before the flower can disappear into the soil, two figures emerge from the encircling darkness.

Flowey wants to leave but he can't. Standing on the other side of the grave is Frisk and... Asriel's- his- mother. She has both hands clasped over her mouth, water on the verge of leaving her eyes. Frisk lets go of Toriel's hand before disappearing back into the shadowed surroundings of the cavern.

Oh, Frisk... you really ARE an idiot.

***

The backyard is still a crisp reminder of everything they've lost. Frisk stands in its center, looking at a large tombstone belonging to King Asgore. What may look like a bleak place to rest, like most things, is subject to change. It won't be today or tomorrow, but eventually, the grassland will heal. 

Not a small amount of fear inhabits the teenager's soul. Toriel deserves to be angry; having been lied to about something so important, it... it was gross. But knowing her, the centuries-old monster may not hold it against them, understanding it was her son's final wish to be forgotten.

Now all there is to do is keep going. The steps have been taken, but the momentum must be kept.

"A fine king, he was," Sans says, all of a sudden standing to the human's right. His abrupt presence didn't startle Frisk for a change. "Made a lotta mistakes in his day, but his heart was always in the right place- it might've been as big as he was."

Frisk can't help but grin at that last comment. 

"By the way, thanks."

"For what?"

"For giving me hope."

The two stand there, listening to nothing but passing wind. 

"Let's head back inside and see how the others are doing. Alphys may have a four-hundred IQ, but my bro has the luck of the draw."

"Right," Frisk says, turning around and joining the skeleton's pace. "Today can't end until I beat Papyrus at least once."

Sans laughs.

"You serious? You've lost three times in a row. Doncha think it's about time to chuck up the sponge?"

"Not happening. I'll play him as many times as it takes."

"Geez, kid... don't you have anything better to do?"

Frisk stops, watching as Sans disappears through the backdoor. They spare one last look at the lawn- Asgore's grave- the expansive treeline- the setting sun with the promise of a new day on tomorrow's horizon. Their smile broadens.

"Yeah... I guess I do."

...

The End.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

703 1 43
Title: Bonafied Security Guards summery: Frisk is the monster ambassador and is in need of protection. With the constant threat of human assassins, m...
889 65 21
Happy endings don't always come easy. Monsters in the Underground know that better than most. Especially when it comes to humans: their history, thei...
2.7K 154 22
"I feel that I'm living in a dream right now, and any moment I'll wake up and find myself back in another nightmare." I say, eventually. "Welp, if yo...
14K 96 27
The barrier is broken, monsters and humans are living in peace, everyone is happy except for one person. Frisk has been getting waking nightmares abo...