My Kingdom of Thirst

By naileasquill

Elena Dejoria, the second oldest in a royal family of four, attends a private academy for royals. She's been... More

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 + 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒.

𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞.

15 3 0
By naileasquill

ELENA DEJORIA.

7 years old:

it's a Sunday afternoon, i just finished some etiquette lessons and honestly i'm glad. The constant bending of my pinky was tiring and i'm afraid to say it seems worn out, i hate lessons when it comes to something so precise like how i should lift my bloody finger when taking a sip of tea, it's unnecessary and odd. Lady Priscilla has no patience at all for me either, which doesn't help. She's a snappy, old, bitter woman who likes to absorb all the fun out of a room like a sponge. It's a surprise my father assigned her to me, even though he knows i dislike people so stern and hard - headed. People who forever keep their head in the sand and never pay attention to what's really in front of them. People who claim they know what life's all about, when they really don't, they just use it as an excuse to not further explore.

"Your highness." my head snaps to meet my guard at the door, i smile softly and greet him with a nod of my head as he bows.

"What is it Friedrich?" i stand up slowly, flattening out my dress like Lady Priscilla would always drone about.

"Downstairs. They've arrived." he says quietly, a small smile curving on his lips. My brows furrow for a moment, who was he talking about..? Until it hit me - They've arrived. My new mother and brother!

"Thank you Friedrich!" i beam, rushing by him he smiles to himself and closes the door to my chambers, halting outside it.

I race myself down the 5 flights of stairs, panting slightly until i could hear faint voices from the grand floor. I pick up the pace and bump into Laila.

"Watch it!" she snaps.

"Sorry-" she cuts me off with a wave of her hand.

"Whatever, just move.." she mutters, sighing and strutting downstairs. I follow her, slightly disheartened. 

"...Ah yes, here my lovely daughters come..." my father mumbles from downstairs as Laila and i walk down, i shake off my somber look and plaster a weak-smile on my face. I quickly lift my eyes from the marble steps to see a beautiful, tall , brunette, green-eyed woman, she was smiling at us and waving, yet i was the only one who returned it.. My eyes travel a bit to the right and i spot a small boy behind her legs, his curly hair mainly covered his face but he seemed sweet, i immediately offer him a smile and he returns it quite weakly as he peeked out from behind her. I quickly turn to Laila to catch her moping, i nudge her slightly with my elbow. She shoots me a deadly look as soon as i do that.

"Hey, go say hi.." i murmur.

"You say hi first." he grumbles, folding her arms.

"You're the oldest.." i mumble through my smile. 

"Yeah, i'm the oldest so i call the shots. You-go-first." she pushes me slightly and i have no choice but to greet them both, Laila smirks as she watched, clearly amused by my social skills. This was really draining..

"You must be Laila?" the woman says, bending to my level and shaking my hand slowly, i'm about to correct her before Laila cuts me off with a snort and shakes her head.

"No, she's Elena, i'm Laila. The pretty one." she rolls her eyes and eyes me up and down.

"I think you're both very pretty." she says softly, i smile softly as my dimples slowly expose, she pats my head slightly and stands up straight.

"Pfft, Elena, pretty? No." Laila folds her arms in a defensive way, she glares at me, i purse my lips awkwardly and roll my eyes.

"It's nice to meet you." my voice was a bit shaky, but i meant well. The woman smiles brilliantly and nods, she was so elegant in the way she did anything. She then walks off to hug Laila before she refuses with the lift of her hand and offers air kisses on both her cheeks instead.

I bring my head forward to see the boy again, i offer a slight wave and he waves back and i pull my lips into a straight line. I look up to my father who was talking to some butlers about settling them in with their luggage, i creep up to him and tug slightly on his arm, he looks down at me with a confused look and bends down to reach my level.

"Baba."

"Yes, princess?" he says softly, placing my hands in his and bobbing them slightly in the air.

"He isn't staying in my room is he-?" i cringe a bit from the question, he lowers his head and chuckles slightly.

"No, he isn't. We have plenty of chambers in this castle for him, don't you worry." I smile and he returns it. He then stands up, one of my hands still in his and signals us all to follow the butlers to where they'll be staying.

I quickly speed up next to Laila as she's speeding ahead, she turns her head to see me and rolls her eyes.

"She's nice right?" i beam at her, Laila doesn't react - surprisingly. Normally she'll always be ready to offend me over the smallest things, but this time she kept a blank expression and nodded silently.

"You don't like her do you..?" i tilt my head, she seemed genuinely silenced for once. It wasn't normal and i didn't like it.

"I didn't say that." she mumbles.

"Then what's bothering you?"

"She's not mom." she murmurs, blinking a bit rapidly, i notice her sighing out heavily and trying to compose herself in front of me.

"Laila.."

"It's just, not going to be the same. Nothing will, not after her death." her hands clench into tiny fists and she storms off.

"Wait Laila-"

"Elena?" my head shoots towards my fathers voice, i nod and speed up as he watches Laila walk away, he sighs.

"Where is she going? This is important." he shout-whispers, i shrug.

"She seemed upset baba, i think we should leave her.." i murmur quietly. He ponders over the thought for a minute, then finally nods.

"Fine, but if she isn't present during dinner, i'm not going to leave her alone." he whispers, i swallow softly and nod.

"You're eating dinner with us today?" my voice is slightly higher as he smiles and nods, i beam like an idiot and wrap my arms around his legs. He pats my head gently before i let go and i'm still beaming. This was the first time in years he'd be eating with us at dinner.

"Come, let's show Matteo his room." he says reaching for my hand. - so that's the little boys name.. Matteo.

10 years old:

"It's gonna be a boy!" Laila yells in my face, i shove her slightly.

"No, a girl!" i snap, she shoves me back.

"A boy!" she rolls her eyes at me and glares.

"Does it really matter-?" Matteo interjects watching us both.

"Yes!" we both shout in unison, he scoffs slightly and stands up to meet us both.

"Well sis-" he looks down slightly at Laila as he places a hand on her shoulder, she instantly shoves it off.

"I am not  your sister." she eyes him up and down as he shrugs it off and talks anyways.

"What i was going  to say was, i think it's a boy too." he folds his arms mockingly, her eyes widen and he then speaks up again quickly before she can say anything.

"But seeing how quickly you denied us to be siblings-"

"Because we aren't." she rolls her eyes as he purses his lips in frustration, i can't help but laugh slightly.

"Seeing how quickly you denied us to be siblings.. i'm team girl now." he rests his arm around my shoulders, i fold my arms and we both give her a smug grin as she rolls her eyes at us.

"Whatever, it's going to be a boy." she reassures, tilting her head down at us.

"Yeah, yeah." Matteo mocks and i let out a snorted laugh, slamming my hand to my mouth.

Our heads then instantly shoot towards the painful screeches we can hear from the bedroom, the yelps and cries coming from step-mother. I squirm slightly, as Matteo sighs heavily trying to keep composed. Laila gives a disgusted look towards the door and turns back to us.

"This is why i don't want kids." she mumbles, folding her arms.

"Sucks for you because you're going to have to sis, you're the heir." Matteo shrugs slightly, she smiles sarcastically and sighs, lowering her head and leaning against the wall.

"He isn't wrong.." i say quietly as she looks up at me like she might tackle me to the floor.

"I know he isn't. That's what's frustrating." she snaps, Matteo lets out a small grin and i sigh heavily as more screams are let out from inside the bedroom.

"How long is this baby going to take.. we've waited for HOURS." Matteo groans, pinching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. I shrug, his arm still around me as i unfold my arms, break free from his grasp and tip-toe towards the door.

"What're you-"

"Shh." i snap, kneeling towards the keyhole, i peek in with my eye and see a few doctors and hand maidens surrounding step-mother whilst father is squeezing onto her hand as she screams out in more pain.

"What can you see..?" Laila whispers.

"Not much, a lot of .. blood.." i squirm, she rolls her eyes and shoves me out the way.

"Such a baby." she mumbles as she kneels to reach the keyhole, she lets out a small 'woah' as we hear some faint crying, me and Matteo lift our heads and our eyes widen.

"Is it-"

"I think so-"

"It is!"

We all exchange glances and pound on the door like madmen, shouting 'hello, let us in!' A maid opens the door, rolling her eyes. She gestures us in and we all run to the bed as step-mother and father are smiling at the little, wrinkly thing in her arms. Me and Matteo both climb on as Laila scurries next to father, we both stare at the baby as Laila just mumbles quietly to father.

"So.. what is it?" Matteo leans up, step-mother tilts her head in slight confusion as her brows perch.

"What do you mean, darling?"

"The gender!" i chime in, she smiles softly at me and looks at the doctor.

"It's a girl." she whispers softly, gently caressing the baby's cheek in her arms.

"Told you!" i yell in Laila's face as she mopes, she rolls her eyes and fiddles with her dress.

"Whatever." she mumbles. Me and Matteo exchange a quick glance before quickly cooing with the baby.

"Careful.. careful." step-mother would occasionally whisper out of breath whilst laughing, father was still holding onto her arms, laying her small kisses on her head and telling her how well she did.

"What's her name going to be?" i perk my head up, she sighs softly and looks at father.

"We decided on.. Caterina." she smiles.

"That's nicer than your name-" Matteo interjects, i elbow him in the ribs and hold back my laughter whilst father and step-mother chuckle heartedly, i watch as Caterina wraps her tiny fingers around my pinky.

"That is a nice name." Laila mumbles, slowly edging towards Caterina and smiling at her. - Laila, smiling, at someone? Me and Matteo were flabbergasted.

"Welcome, little Caterina .." step-mother murmurs as she cradles her slowly in her arms.

15 years old:

It's currently 5:30 pm, i'm out in the balcony of my chambers, trying to sketch the view. But it was hard, i couldn't concentrate. I was waiting for my letter from the academy - Serenity Hall. My reply letter was due today and I was so desperate to get in, nothing else right now mattered.

"Your highness." i turn my head to see Friedrich outside my door, a golden tray in his hand which was carrying a letter - stamped closed with a blue-wax circle. I jolt up, i pick my gown up slightly as i sprint towards him, i grab it with my shaky hands and we exchange a look.

"Is it-?"

"Yes, your highness, it is." He nods eagerly, i rip open the letter, i drop the envelope and scan over it. I was breathing out shakily, my eyes narrow, scrutinizing every-last-word. I was mumbling out the words i was reading, until i reached the exact word that made me gasp.

"Accepted.." i murmur under my breath as my chest rises and falls in a desperate manner, Friedrich's eyes widen and he looks at me, beaming.

"I- i got in!" i mutter in disbelief, i turn to face him and he nods in approval.

"Congratulations, your highness." he bows slightly and my arms drop to my sides as i smile softly at him.

"I think it's best to let your sister know." he says quietly, i nod and lift my gown slightly as i rush out, my feet barely seeming to make a sound on the polished, marble floor. Weaving between servants and guests, dodging and ducking through the endless, huge corridors and finally stopping outside Laila's door, i raise my shaky hand and i'm about to knock--

"Elena!" Matteo panted, speeding up to me, a similar letter clutched in his hands. My eyes widen, i eye him up and down and he does the same.

"Did you-?"

"I did.. did you-?"

"Yes!"

We both smile in excitement, we're about to scream before the door opens and Laila steps out, her hair in bright, pink rollers and dressed in a long, silk robe with feathery sleeves.

"What?" she mumbles, she eyes us up and down and we just smile at her. Like dumb and dumber we just smile. She raises a eyebrow and sighs.

"Can one of you two idiots just explain what's happening?" she mutters, folding her arms.

"We got into Serenity Hall!" we both squeal, she purses her lips and nods.

"Congrats.. now can you leave?" she looks at us like we're pyscho's.

"Hey, we get into your Academy.. and you have nothing to say but, 'congrats?', really?" Matteo eyes her up and down with a look of disappointment, my lips curl into a slight frown.

"Hey, listen, i get it 'woo!' you got into a hard Academy for royals, trust me, i experienced the same feeling two years ago.. but it's not just all fun, you actually have to work hard to keep your place guys." she says quietly, we nod quickly, she sighs and rolls her eyes.

"Anything else?" she says, her eyebrows raised as she stares at us.

"Yeah, a few questions.." i say quietly.

"Go on.." she sighs.

"What are the dorms like?-"

"Are the people nice?-"

"I heard there are HUGE buffets!-"

"The Academy is in London- so it's huge rig-"

We're cut off by the slam of her door in our face, me and Matteo exchange glances as we shrug and barge in anyways. Laila's eyes widen as we do so, she shoots up from her vanity chair.

"Hey-! What the hell-" 

"So when do classes start for first years?-"

"Are there any ballet classes?!-"

"I heard the teachers were royal themselves-"

Laila lets out a loud groan and lies flat on her stomach on her bed, her face buried into her pillow as we quickly sit next to her and carry on bombarding her with questions.

"So there's uniform?-"

"I heard it's blue!-"

"What's the weather like in London?-"

...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.9K 1.8K 32
She's one of the richest people in the kingdom. He isn't. She was born into a royal family. He wasn't. She's a vampire. He's a human. What happens w...
726 247 62
After asking her to stay out of trouble, she finally allows her to go to the palace. Not only does she find favor in the eyes of the first prince, h...
33 1 18
Mary the second princess of Selvincia has often envied her twin sister for being the heir to the thrown. So when Mary decides to come up with a plan...
The Runaway Princess By Laura

Historical Fiction

2.5M 116K 28
To the unknowing eye, the exotic young woman making her way through the English countryside is just another poor girl, hungry and looking for work. B...