Teri Lakeerein

By Erzadragneell

Tu haathon main toh hai mere, Hai kyun nahi lakeeron main... Ye kesa tera ishq hai... Saajna... ~~~~~~~~ SHO... More

Peep into Author's head
1. Her
2. And Her
3. They Meet
4. About Her
5. Her Case
6. They meet again
7. Her Duty
8. Her Search
9. Third time's the Charm
10. Entanglement
Peep into Author's head II
11. She visits Her
12. Strategies and Musings
13. Case Closed
14. Start of Something New
15. Holi Special
17. The bank robbery
18. The Formal(Tea)
19. The Hiccup
20. Tera Sahara
21. With you, in delight

16. Closer

428 59 8
By Erzadragneell

Holi had long passed, and summer was at its peak.

To say Karishma had been busy would be an understatement. The moment she approved the redevelopment proposal, the workload surged, leaving her increasingly occupied.

She had last encountered Haseena about twenty days back, when she had put forth her proposal of friendship. Haseena Malik was a busy woman after all. And especially with the election fervor at an all-time high, she was neck deep in work.

And yet, they had kept in contact through the ill-timed messages. A Hi here, a how are you there...something like that.

"Bhakkk!"

Suraj flinched when his sister, who had been silently perusing a dull magazine, suddenly let out a curse. He stole a glance at her and saw her scowling at the magazine, her jaw clenched.

He pondered whether the issue involving Dalal Singh was the source of her annoyance.

If he only knew that her murderous expressions were caused by a newfound friendship, now stuck in stasis.

Karishma slapped the magazine on the table in between and leaned back on her chair, letting out a loud sigh in process.

When she sought friendship with Inspector Sahiba, she had envisioned something different. Although not particularly adept in matters of friendship, she was certain of one thing: formalities and superficial greetings had no place in a true friendship. Yet, that's exactly what persisted.

They stood where they had begun, yet she felt they had drifted even further apart, engaging in superficial conversations that lacked any real depth.

Or was she overthinking it? Maybe that's just the way friendships are balanced when there are responsibilities involved.

"But this distance is..." Karishma muttered scrubbing her face.

"This is not normal. I want to get to know her. I didn't want our interactions to be dictated by coincidence, and yet!" She threw her hands up in exasperation, and Suraj took another peek at his sister.

She rose from her seat and began pacing behind the sofa, while Suraj feigned interest in his book, straining his ears to catch his sister's mumblings.

"Aise toh ye mitrata panpe bina hi dum tod degi", She shook her head, reached for her phone to call Haseena, but paused and opened their chat history instead.

Their last conversation was two days ago when Haseena was on duty at a public event.

She began to compose a message but hesitated once more and let out a heavy sigh.

"Aaj toh matdaan hai, woh vyast hongi"

It was the reason she found herself overthinking so much today. It seemed to be an off day for everyone.

"Suraj hum abhi aate hain", She made her announcement the following moment.

"Jaa kahan rahi ho di- However, his question failed to reach her as she was already hurrying out the door.

"I sometimes question her sanity," he sighed, closing the book and turning his attention to his phone.

-----------------------------

Karishma had no particular destination in mind, her thoughts preoccupied with a certain elusive individual. Thus, when she glimpsed a white police jeep across the road she was traveling, she stopped abruptly. Lines of people were queuing up at the matdaan kendra, beside which the vehicle was parked.

Karishma attempted to peer inside the jeep, but the four-lane distance, her poor eyesight, and the bustling traffic were of no help.

Before she knew it, she found herself crossing the road. She arrived at the intersection and waited for the traffic signal to turn red. With two lanes to go, she discerned the letters 'SHO something' on the jeep's rear glass. It resembled 'Aminabad,' yet 'Alambagh' was also a possibility, as we often see what we wish to see.

So as the light turned red, Karishma began to cross, unprepared for a scooty speeding toward her from the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road.

Everything happened in an instant. She noticed the motorist's eyes widen in alarm, mirroring her own shock. Suddenly, she was yanked back by her arm, narrowly avoiding the scooter as it whizzed past.

Karishma then turned her gaze to her rescuer, only to lock eyes with the very person in her thoughts.

Standing before her was her Inspector Sahiba, impeccably dressed in khaki, her intense gaze fixed on Karishma.

"Aap theek hain, Ms Singh?"

Vehicles honking in the sweltering heat with a ridiculous amount of smoke and dust flying doesn't really make for a good background score, and yet the 'Ms Singh' sounded so soothing and musical.

"Ms. Singh?" Haseena shook her by the shoulders, and as Karishma slowly nodded, Haseena let out a relieved sigh. Grasping Karishma's hand in hers then, they crossed the road.

Once they reached her jeep, Karishma could hear Haseena speaking to the Head Constable in the driver's seat, but she couldn't quite make out their words.

After all, her attention was entirely focused on their intertwined hands, lost in the memory of the first time this had happened. How she had attempted to leave and how this person had stopped her.

"Pushpa ji, UPxxxxxx is the number. It was a white colour Activa. Santosh se kehkar iske owner ke details nikaliye aur unhe kal thaane bulae. Wrong side par signal todkar rash driving kar rahe thhe. Ms Singh ka accident hote hote reh gaya".

Karishma was jolted from her reverie by the cold sensation of a bottle against her cheek. She looked up to find Haseena gazing at her with concern.

"Please drink. You look flushed," Haseena urged.

With the realization that her hands were unoccupied, Karishma accepted the bottle. After a couple of sips and regaining her composure from their unexpected encounter, she turned her full attention to Haseena, who was now looking off towards the polling area.

'Kese inki ek jhalak se hamari sari bechaini gayab ho gayi. Kaahe itna sukoon mil raha hai humein'.

Haseena then turned to Karishma, who promptly offered her the bottle, murmuring a 'dhanyawaad' in gratitude.

"Aap kahan jaa rahi thi?" Haseena focused on Karishma, noticing her struggle to open her eyes against the bright sun and the sweat trickling down from her forehead, with droplets of water running down her chin.

"Hum bas aise hi—" Karishma was responding when she suddenly felt herself being pulled closer by Haseena, who had grabbed her arm.

A handkerchief was then pressed against her forehead.

Karishma's ears rang with the sound of drums, overwhelmed by their closeness.

Haseena gently patted her cheek and retracted her hand with a grin. "You were standing in the sun. There's some shade here."

The other person could only offer a nod in response. She had also observed the perspiration on Haseena's brow, but the thought of reaching out to wipe it away so casually was an act far beyond her comfort zone. It was something she could never envision herself doing.

"Toh aap humein bata rahi thi ki-

"Ji, hum wo yaha se jaa rahe thhe toh ye jeep dikhi aur humein laga ki shayad aap ho sakti hain toh hum...bas aise hi...aapse milne...ke liye...wo bahot dinn ho gaye thhe..toh..." Karishma trailed as Haseena smiled softly at her.

"Aap humein call kar sakti thi".

"Hum wo aapko...pareshan nahi karna chahte thhe...duty ke beech",The reply was delivered in a subdued tone, and Haseena clenched her fists behind her back, her heart heavy with emotion.

As she had suspected, Ms. Singh was remarkably transparent. She was not only youthful but also possessed an air of refreshing innocence, a stark contrast to Haseena's own cynicism. Their brief message exchanges frequently concluded abruptly due to Haseena's duties intervening.

Indeed, it was a rather poor excuse.

Truthfully, Haseena Malik was at a loss on how to connect with others. She was uncertain how to react to such a heartfelt offer of friendship. Each time she attempted to craft a response, she was merely anticipating the moment Karishma would realize Haseena's lack of worth and leave. Haseena's defenses were so formidable that Karishma couldn't find a way to reach her.

'To think she would still want to', Haseena cautiously extended her finger towards Karishma's, and as she did, Karishma raised her gaze to meet Haseena's, her deep black eyes holding a depth that both enchanted and frightened Haseena equally.

"Aap humein kabhi bhi call kar sakti hain. Hum puri koshish karenge aapka call receive karne ki, aur agar kisi kaaran nahi kar paae toh aapko revert zaroor karenge. You don't have to be so watchful of my work, Ms. Singh. Consideration achi baat hai lekin bas utni hi, jisse aapko taqleef na ho. Hum dost hain. Jab bhi aapka mann kare, aap humein call kar sakti hain...humse milne aa sakti hain".

Karishma nodded, captivated by the smooth voice and the gentle touch on her finger, feeling as though she was floating.

Suddenly, every tangle was unraveled, every uncertainty dispelled, with just a few words.

To bridge the distance, all it required was a step, an initiative, and she had the permission to take it.

Then, Haseena averted her gaze from those eyes and stepped back.

"Ms Singh, maaf kijiye lekin abhi humein andar jaana hoga. Tasalli kar lein ki sab theek hai ki nahi".

Karishma nodded, signaling her understanding before turning to leave, her expression dropping momentarily. She hoped Haseena didn't see her as just another attention-seeking youth.

"Ms. Singh..."

At the call, Karishma turned back, masking her emotions.

"I will find you tomorrow. I promise," she said.

Haseena's chuckle broke through as she watched Karishma's spirits lift, her smile wide and bright.

With that, Karishma departed, her step lively and determined.

---------------------------------------------

She didn't want Haseena to treat her like some attention seeking youngster.

Karishma had spent the entire morning and the slow-moving noon in anticipation of the promised meeting.

Yet, as the evening arrived, she received an apologetic message from Haseena, who had been caught up in a theft case and could not make it that day.

Karishma had been understanding. She had replied with 'Koi baat nahi. Hum samajhte hain'.

She summoned all her maturity and responded politely, even though she felt an overwhelming urge to throw a tantrum and type out 'wada kiya hi kyu tha agar nibhana nahi tha toh'.

She was being ridiculous really. Glaring at people and shouting at Kiran and slamming her table. It wasn't like Inspector Sahiba was doing this on purpose. Vardi ki zimmedari was real.

And she wasn't a child who didn't understand responsibilities.

She simply didn't appreciate it when people broke their promises.

They weren't meant to be broken.

So that night, at 9 PM, when Karishma was presiding over a Gram sabha meeting, her temper ran high as she slapped a man making him fall to her feet.

"Chori teri hadd na bhool!!" Dalal shouted as it was his man who was manhandled.

Karishma was past the point of smiles. The pagdi on her head wasn't just for show. It was a symbol of authority.

"Dalal Singh, hum jis din hadd bhulenge na, uss din na hi tumhari aawaz uthegi aur na hi aankhein!" Karishma roared furiously.

His sister's fuse was abysmally short but today her temperament was running on fumes, it seemed. It was confusing since she had been so chirpy all the way into the early hours of evening. Suraj was standing behind Karishma with Kishan and Kiran on the other side.

"Jab pichla baithak main sabka karyabhar nirdharit ho gaya tha, toh kaahe tumhara aadmi, ye Suresh aur Nehal gaav ke pashchimi kinaare par pehra dene nahi gaya! Zara yaad kariye ki pichle hi maah waha kheton main baagh ke panjo ke nishan mile thhe!"

"Toh bhejo tum apna log. Sarpanch toh tumko hi banaye hain na sab!" Dalal bristled in response and Karishma rolled her eyes.

"Ama oh, tumhari tarah, sattar mushtande nahi paale hain humne samjhe. Kishan aur Kiran isse pichla wala saptah kiye thhe waha nigrani aur iss baar baari tumhare aadmi logon ka tha. Ye gaav sabka hai, aur suraksha ki zimmedari bhi. Raat ko agar bhul se koi bacha wahan chala jata toh! Jab panje ke nishaan mile thhe tab toh tumne bahot aawaj uthayi thi aur ab jimmedari se bhaag rahe ho!"

That sealed Dalal's lips, and he turned away mumbling curses while Karishma stepped closer to the man whom she had slapped.

"Aur tum dono, aaj raat waha thaal bajane chale jaana warna maiya kasam aisa gadiyaenge na, shehnai bajwane layak nahi rahoge. Samjhe?"

The two nodded and left as Karishma turned to address other villagers.

"Aur aap sab bhi jara sahyog ke liye haath aage badhayein. Sitapur ki seema se jungle satta hua hai aur nigraani main agar sab yogdaan karenge toh shayad firse wo haadsa nahi hoga jo ek varsh poorva hua tha".

A villager spoke up then interrupting her, "Lekin sarkar ko bhi toh kuch karna chahiye na bitiya".

Karishma shook her head, "Chacha, sarkar kya karegi. Aakhirkar pashujati ke bhi adhikaar hote hain. Hum toh fir bhi manushya hain, vichrann karte hue yadi pashu kheton main aa jaaye toh iska matlab ye toh nahi hai na ki unka shikaar kiya jaaye. Thodi si satartkta aur savdhani se sab mil julkar reh sakte hain toh fir kyun nahi. Aur fir, Vann vibhag se bhi varta kiya tha humne. Lekin uss baagh ka jankari nahi hai unke abhilekh main. Vo shayad kisi aur vann se yaha aa gaya hai. Isslie hamara sabse vinamra anurodh hai, ki ratri main kheton main naa jaayein aur do-do ke gutt main pehra lagayein".

Post that, there were a few young men and women who raised their hands to give their names and once Karishma had given them necessary instructions, everyone started to disperse.

"Indradhanush ki kya bisaat-

Karishma halted mid steps to the familiar voice and turned towards the banyan tree to see a shadowy silhouette emerge from the dark

-tere samne vo bhi feeka hai"

Karishma wondered if she was dreaming, for there was no way Inspector Sahiba was standing across from her, reciting her a shayari, at this odd hour.

Haseena however, continued to walk forward until she was faced with Karishma Singh.

"Kese itne rang hain tujhme

tu waqai khuda ka karishma hai".

"A-Aap yahan hain?" Karishma rubbed her eyes to check if she was being deceived but her sturdy hallucination only smiled in response.

She reached out her finger to touch the figure then and as she found her finger intertwined with Haseena's, Karishma realized that indeed the person standing in front of her was real.

The villagers were all retreating now, not paying too much attention for Haseena was dressed in casuals. Suraj who was waiting by Karishma's bike however became curious and decided to go closer but was held in place as Kishan caught him by the scruff of his shirt and started dragging him back.

"Kishan chodo humein. Ye kya kar rahe ho!" Suraj whined but to no avail. His tiny build was no competition to Kishan who quickly glanced back at Karishma before continuing to drag Suraj towards the jeep.

Kiran also glanced back at the duo standing under the banyan tree before accompanying his brother towards the jeep.

"Daroga ji thoda aur jaldi aati toh shayad Suresh Karishma ke kantaap se bach jata", he stated as a matter of fact, taking the driver's seat while Kishan sat with Suraj in the back and soon the jeep was gone.

"K-Kese? Aapne toh kaha tha ki-

Haseena smiled and then gestured to the charpai lying ahead. "Baithke baat karein? Hum bahot thakk gaye hain".

Karishma nodded and joined Haseena, who then turned to Karishma, "Humne vaada jo kiya tha, aur vaada toh hota hi nibhaane ke liye hai na. Wese bhi case ki investigation itni late possible nahi thi, toh hum kaam wrap karke aagaye aapke paas".

Karishma's right hand reached out for the left side of her chest as it squeezed loudly and she patted it, wondering about the warmth spreading there.

"Hum toh aapko surprise karne aaye thhe aur khud hi surprise hogaye. Aapke ghar gaye toh pata chala ki aap gram sabha meeting main hain and yahan aakar dekhte hain ki aap hi Sarpanch hain!"

Crossing her right leg over her left then, she rested her left elbow on her knee and rested her chin in her left palm, looking at Karishma. "Soch rahe hain, aapko Ms. Singh chodkar, Mukhiya ji bulana shuru kar dein".

Karishma chuckled, very happy to have Haseena by her side in this moment, "Firse hamari firki le rahi hain?"

Haseena shook her head in negative, "Bilkul nahi. Aap humein Inspector Sahiba bulati hain, toh hum bhi aapko 'Mukhiya ji' bulaenge".

"Ab aapko agar Inspector Sahiba nahi bulaenge toh fir aur kya-

"Haseena. Humare naam se bulaiye. Dost ek doosre ko titles se nahi naam se bulaate hain. Aasan hai, H-A-S-E-E-N-A".

Karishma flushed as Haseena gave her an encouraging nod.

"Haseen-

Haseena nodded.

-a ji...Haseena ji", Karishma fumbled.

"Ji, Karishma JI".

It was Karishma's turn to feel ridiculous.

"Ji kaahe lagaya aapne. Hum chhote hain aapse".

Haseena scrunched her nose then, "Haan hum bade zaroor hain thode, par dinosaur ki timeline se nahi hain".

In response, a snort escaped Karishma and Haseena grinned. "Aur vese bhi, izaat ka umra se kya lena dena hai. Aap bhi ji lagaiye, hum bhi laga lenge".

"Lekin- Karishma tried to protest but Haseena stayed adamant.

"Tay raha, jis din aap 'ji' hata dengi, hum bhi hate denge".

Haseena continued, "Vese, you are perfect as a sarpanch. Aapki animal rights wali baat humein bahot achi lagi. Aap jesi young aur open minded leadership ki desh ko bahot zaroorat hai".

(Haseena had not seen Karishma slapping Suresh)

Karishma laid back on the charpai with her arms folded behind her head and her legs dangling, her eyes looking at the stars above.

"Aapka har baat main desh kahan se fit ho jata hai".

Haseena too laid by Karishma's side and shrugged, "Default hai. Bachpan se hi hum mein desh prem ka jazbaa hai aur ye humein abbu se-

Karishma was intently listening when Haseena pursed her lips and went mum.

And luckily or unluckily, before Karishma could speak further, Haseena's stomach grumbled loudly and then started singing a 'slow death' song, as Haseena started futile attempts of clutching her stomach to quieten it down.

Karishma couldn't control her laughter while Haseena became increasingly embarrassed. Afterall her stomach was still murmuring protests. Talk about timing!

"Aap hamare sath chaliye, aapka pet hartaal kar raha hai", Karishma looked at a flushed Haseena and committed the scene to her memory. There will never be a scene more endearing, except of course her brother's cuddles when he was younger. But that is a separate issue.

Haseena got off the charpai and shook her head vehemently, "Hum theek hain. Humne dinner kiya tha".

"Lekin-

"Abhi aap ghar jaiye, Ms Singh"

Karishma coughed.

"Mukhiya ji?"

Karishma coughed again and Haseena hid her smile.

"Karishma....JI".

Karishma groaned while Haseena started to walk away, towards her sedan standing in the far-off corner.

Karishma jogged up to Haseena and watched as she sat behind the wheel.

"Humein samajh nahi aa raha ki hum kese kahein. Sach kahein toh hum bahot maayus ho gaye thhe jab humein pata laga ki aap nahi aa payengi. Lekin aap aayi aur...humein bahot acha laga ki aapne apna vachan nibhaya".

"Humein bhi", Haseena replied and started the ignition.

"Aur-

Haseena turned towards Karishma who leaned down into the window and Haseena found herself face to face with Karishma.

"Aap humse koi bhi baat baant sakti hain. Hum hain....aur hamesha rahenge".

Haseena nodded and murmuring a good night drove off into the dark, the fingers of her left hand clenched hard.

"Nothing is forever, because forever is a lie, Karishma".

;) So, I am back guys. I was busy with some very important engagements but now I am done.

So, enjoy the read and do share your views!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.6K 4.5K 26
This story is About KarEena ❤️ IN THIS STORY : HASEENA MALLIK is newly transferred SHO.. who is apprehensive... Doesn't enjoy her life just live... s...
53.2K 3.6K 25
Anubhav is son of a rich businessman and DSP of Lucknow .Although his family requested him to join the family business he denied as he wanted to get...
22.2K 3.4K 26
After a disastrous first date, the only things Haseena Mallik and Karishma Singh have in common are mutual dislike and their love for their goddaught...