Zulu

By nkosithandolwethu18

This story focuses on a young South African boy called Zulu, who had a strong belief in his culture and wante... More

Appreciation note
Characters
One| Migration
Two | Treasure
Three | Zulu
Four | The interrogation
Five | Three birds with one stone
Six | Scissors
Seven | You can't have them both
Eight | You should step up for her or else...
Ten | Blissful
Eleven | You are pregnant
Twelve | The bench

Nine | Psychic gift

12 2 0
By nkosithandolwethu18

Morning in school

The boys who played soccer were in a meeting. The sport manager was elected to be the new coach of the team. The coach wanted to announce something to the players. 

"Thank you for coming guys. I want to let you guys know that I was elected as your new head coach," he said.

[Players applauded]

"I also want to tell you that we have entered a new tournament and our first match is today," he continued.

[Players murmured]

"Guys stop, I thought you've always wanted this," he thought. The players we not happy and prepared for playing today.

"We do but I was not prepared for today and I'm sure that others are also not ready," Mzwanele intervened.

[Players cheered]

"Mzwanele can you please stop pressurizing him. I mean even if we do loose today, we still have a chance because they will be a second leg," Thabiso intervened too.

Mzwanele looked at Thabiso and he felt sorry for  him because he knew that this was his last time on the field. "I'm the captain here! We do what I think is right," Mzwanele lashed out. " We know Mzwa but please give him a chace to be a good coach despite this game today," player #1 said. Things started to be tense when they were all shouting and it was more like a political court.

"You think this is a democracy? Ok then those who want to play today raise up your hands," Mzwanele suggested.

The players who wanted to play raised up their hands but they were half of them. Mzwanele smiled and thought that those who did not want to play today will be more than those who want to play. After that, players who were not ready raised up their hands and it was a tie. Mzwanele was shocked because the player cannot be divided into two.

"It's a tie," Vusi commented.

"No it's not a tie, I did not vote," Mxolisi replied.

Mzwanele looked at Mxolisi furiously because he knew that Mxolisi will be against him. "Those of you who are not ready for today, please tell me when are you going to be ready?" Mxolisi asked.

[Players murmured]

The players went silence and Mzwanele kept on looking at Mxolisi angrily. The coach was impressed by this young player who was determined.

"We were the ones who complained about not having scout but we're also complaining when this very small opportunity comes to us. When are we going to be ready? Why don't we take this very small opportunity to show other schools that we were born ready and we will be even more ready when big opportunities comes," Mxolisi motivated the players.

[Players cheered]

Mzwanele was angry nd he decided to leave. The team was spirited and the coach was happy about Mxolisi. He didn't vote for anything but he made people to be on one side. Amanda was waiting for Nokwanda at the gate and Thando came with Aaliyah. Thando was curious about what Mxolisi and Amanda were talking about because of how Mxolisi looked at her.

[Amanda sighed]

"Hi," Thando greeted her.

Amanda ignored her and Thando looked at Aaliyah. "I saw you talking to Zulu yesterday and I ..." Amanda disturbed her, " I'm sorry honey, did you mean my boyfriend? Amanda claimed.

"Your boyfriend?" Thando asked.

"Guys you can't keep on on fighting," Aaliyah intervened.

"I'm not here to fight with her. I'm here to clarify that Amanda did not say something about me that's not true," Thando replied.

 Nokwanda came and was a bit confused about the girls standing together. Amanda smiled at Thando and went to to Nokwanda. Thando noticed that Nokwanda came with an unfamiliar car. Mxolisi saw Nokwanda walking with Amanda and remembered that he wanted to ask Siyamthanda about Nokwanda's family. He went to class to talk to him.

"Bro you didn't tell me that Nokwanda was born in a rich family," Mxolisi asked indirectly.

"I'm good too Zulu thanks for asking. How are you?" Siyamthanda asked.

Siyamthanda looked happy, Mxolisi noticed that and thought he must have told Senamile about how he feels.

"I see someone is in a good mood today," Mxolisi said.

"Thank you for the through pass man," Siyamthanda appreciated.

"So tell me how did it go? What did she say?" Mxolisi asked.

"I actually did not tell her what I feel. We just spoke about things...you know," Siyamthanda replied.

Mxolisi was a bit disappointed at Siyamthanda but had to give him time. "I'm sorry for being the pain in the ass man," Siyamthanda apologized. Mxolisi was just happy that he was able to help his friend.

"Nokwanda's family is not rich and they disowned her," Siyamthanda replied.

Mxolisi was confused because of all the cars he saw Nokwanda in. 

First break  

Zweli and Luyanda were watching soccer together. Zweli was comfortable to be with Zweli and she still loved Londiwe even after what happened.

"Thanks Zweli," Luyanda appreciated.

"For?" Zweli confused.

"You know for being here for me. Well I don't know how was I going to cope without you ," Luyanda said.

Zweli's secret was still unrevealed about the fact that it was him who took the pictures and videos. "I was in a tough position you know," Zweli almost revealed it.

"Tough position?" Luyanda was confused

"Um...you I...I...I..." Luyanda disturbed him, " I know how you must have felt, betraying Zulu for  being on that field that's... horribly. You don't have to be friends with Mzwa to be the best though."

"In the field? Trust me I do, Mzwa is the captain so I must be close to him so that I can get an opportunity on the field," Zweli convinced her.

"What if he does not be a captain anymore?" Luyanda asked.

Zweli kept quiet because that would mean it the end of him on the field. Mxolisi was standing alone, thinking and the head coach came to him.

"Great speech Mxolisi. I've never seen players in that spirit and I hope we win today," the coach hoped.

"I'm very grateful to help," Mxolisi appreciated.

"You can ball out there, I've seen you, it like you're enjoying it," the coach complimented him.

"I am and I'll be glad to be on the field today," Mxolisi hoped.

"Ahh son, I wish I had that power but you know I don't. That means Mzwanele will bench you today for protesting against him," the coach said.

"But you should be the one coach not him. If he continues playing favorites we will loose," Mxolisi complained.

"Looking forward for today's game," the coach said.

The coach empathized with Mxolisi nd wanted to change all that. He left and Mxolisi wasn't happy with Mzwanele being in charge. Thando saw Nokwanda talking to her phone and suspected something about her. She stared at her and Nokwanda's reaction was weird. Thando received a message from the anonymous person.

[Still up for our practice?]

[Yes, where?] Thando texted back.

[Meet me tomorrow at the cafeteria]

Thando placed her phone on her pocket and when she looked up, Nokwanda was no longer there. Thando wondered and started searching for her. Zweli and Luyanda were still talking at the soccer field.

"To be honest, I left Londiwe because of her gift," Luyanda opened to Zweli.

"Gift?" Zweli asked.

"She's a psychic," Luyanda replied.

[Zweli chuckled]

"I know it's hard to believe but it's true. Many of you guys in this school don't know about Londiwe's gift," Luyanda convinced Zweli.

"So it's true?" Zweli was not convinced.

[Luyanda sighed]

"But I think that's where you have to be close to her, support her," Zweli suggested.

"I know but, I don't feel comfortable when I'm with her so it's best for me if I just back off," Luyanda replied.

"Best for you? What about what's best for her?" Zweli wondered.

"You saw her yesterday, she didn't want to talk to me," Luyanda replied.  

[Bell rang]

Everyone went to class and Thando was still looking for Nokwanda. She saw her looking around to see if someone was following her. Thando came close, to hear what exactly is Nokwanda saying or planning.

"Second break?" Nokwanda spoked to the phone. 

Thando was a bit confused but she kept on listening. She suspected that Nokwanda is up to something silly.

"Just know that it will cost you R200. Don't ask me why, you know why, I'm still in school and you'll fetch me without a car. Even that R200 is much cheaper but because your place is not that far, that means we won't have to walk that long. You know what we will talk later bye," Nokwanda continued.

Thando ran quickly so that Nokwanda won't see her. She was still confused about what Nokwanda was talking about on the phone. Nokwanda didn't go to class she went straight to her spot, where no one can see her leaving the school but she was not aware that Thando was following her. There was no teacher in their class and Mxolisi was curious about to Thando's whereabouts. He decided to go out to check what's going on and he saw Nokwanda on the other side of the fence, outside the school yards. Mxolisi wanted to know what's going with Nokwanda and  he searched a place where he can jump without anyone seeing him. When he was on the other side of the fence, he saw Nokwanda standing with a stranger and wondered what were they talking about. Mxolisi couldn't come close to hear what they were talking about, so he hid.

Second break 

Vusumuzi was talking to his girlfriend. Aaliyah was not happy because Vusi was ignoring her. All she wanted was to teach Vusi English and learn Zulu but Vusi was ashamed. Vusi was talking but Aaliyah kept quiet.

"I'm sorry Aaliyah," he apologized.

"I'll accept your apology," she said. 

Vusi smiled. "But when you agree to come to my house for teaching each other our languages," Aaliyah gave Vusi an alternative. Vusi didn't want because he felt like an idiot. Aaliyah started feeling dizzy and Vusi noticed her quickly.

"Are you fine?" Vusi concerned.

Aaliyah vomited and Vusi started shaking, he didn't know what to do. Zweli and Luyanda were watching Londiwe entering the classroom.

"Now go, remember not to panic and..." Luyanda interrupted Zweli, "geez...I know what to do, I'm a big girl."

Luyanda followed Londiwe into the classroom. Zweli hoped that everything goes well. They planned to get Luyanda and Londiwe back together. After a while, Luyanda came out running and Zweli followed her. Luyanda went straight to the girls toilet and Zweli entered. He found Luyanda crying.

"Look...maybe we shouldn't have rushed it," Zweli tried comforting Luyanda.

[Luyanda wept]

"Or maybe you didn't do it right," Zweli continued.

[Luyanda sobbed]"I did everything you told me to do but, it's still the same. Let just face the truth, Londiwe doesn't love me anymore."

"Hey don't put that in your mind. You said it yourself, she's a psychic and maybe she only need time. Come on cheer up, let go remember I still have a game to prepare for and I want my friend to watch me playing," Zweli cheered Luyanda.

Luyanda stood up and hugged Zweli. 

Outside the school yards 

Mxolisi kept on following Nokwanda and the stranger and the stranger. They finally entered the gate and it was the stranger's house. Mxolisi continued following them but he didn't enter through the gate, jumped the fence. He saw them entering the house and Mxolisi looked for a window to peek at them. He saw Nokwanda with a bra and panty only. Mxolisi was confused because the stranger was sitting down on the chair. Mxolisi continued peeking and he was disturbed by the noise in the gate. The stranger suspected that someone followed them and Nokwanda dressed quickly. The stranger went outside to see who it was and he saw a cat near the gate. The stranger was not convinced that it could be the cat, he continued walking around the yard to see if his instinct was right. Mxolisi had to hide because he knew that the stranger would come, he continued sneaking and then saw a shadow sneaking too. He went to see who it was and only find that it's Thando but the problem was that Thando didn't see Mxolisi and the stranger was walking towards Thando's direction. Mxolisi saw the stranger and he ran to drag Thando, closed her mouth.

After school in school  

Aaliyah was looking for Thando because they had a game to play. She decided to go alone, Amanda was also looking for Nokwanda. The netball girls were too short but they had enough players to play on the court. Aaliyah had a clear shot to shoot but she felt dizzy and fainted on the court. Then the game was cancelled because no one was on the bench to replace Aaliyah.

The boys were ready to play soccer and Thabiso was on the bench. They started well and in the second half, Zweli scored a goal and they were leading. Luyanda was so happy for Zweli. Vusi was on the clear spot to shoot but he thought of Aaliyah vomiting and that cost the team because their opponent scored. Mzwanele saw Vusi and saw that he wasn't okay.

"Come on Vusi, what's wrong?" Mzwanele asked.

"Headache," Vusi replied.

"I'm sorry brother but I have to take you," Mzwanele suggested.

Mzwanele had no choice but to take Vusi out of the field. He hoped to see Mxolisi but he wasn't there, so he had to put Thabiso on the field. The coach looked around, hoping to see Mxolisi and he was disappointed in him. Thabiso scored an own goal on purpose and the boys lost 1-2. Mzwanele wanted to fight with Thabiso but the players stopped him. Thabiso was happy to see Mzwanele angry but he was not aware that he was only jeopardizing his dream. 

Outside the school yards

The stranger saw a torn piece of Thando's skirt and knew that someone was there but it was too late because Mxolisi and Thando were long gone. The stranger decided to keep it to himself and not tell Nokwanda anything. He headed back to the house and Nokwanda was sitting on the couch.

"What was it?" Nokwanda asked.

"Nothing, it was just a cat," the stranger lied.

Nokwanda was surprised by the answer and didn't suspect anything. Thando and Mxolisi were walking together. Thando was still shocked to see Mxolisi there. Mxolisi was still thinking about what he saw on that window.

[Mxolisi cleared his throat]"I think we shouldn't tell anyone about what we saw."

"Even if we do tell them, we didn't see that much. Wait I didn't see that much, maybe you did...did you?" Thando asked.

"Well I wouldn't tell you anything," Mxolisi said.

"Why not?" Thando asked.

"Thando you are not the person I thought you were and stop acting like you care about people because the only thing you know is to use them," Mxolisi confronted her.

"What are you talking about?" Thando confused.

"Thando I now know you well, you are just a selfish person, you care about being the princess without caring about the people you are hurting around you!" Mxolisi lashed out. 

Thando had tears on her eyes and knew that Amanda had something to do with it. "Listen I don't know what you are talking about but I need you to trust me, all the things you have on your mind are not true," Thando tried convincing Mxolisi.

"Trust you?" Mxolisi asked.

"Just give me time to prove you that I'm not the person you think I am," Thando continued.

"There's no need you've already proved it," Mxolisi said.

"No, I...I mean....okay let's do this, for you to tell me what you saw there. Let me prove you that whatever you heard about me is not true then you can tell me what you saw," Thando suggested.

Mxolisi took it into considerations. They reached the gate and they departed from each other. Thando continued looking at Mxolisi. Londiwe hugged Mxolisi and Thando was jealous of her.

"Hey it feels like you've been gone for years, because I was looking for you," Londiwe said.

[Mxolisi chuckled]"Come on, why didn't you go to Luyanda?" Mxolisi asked.

"Zulu I really need to tell you something and it's about Aaliyah," Londiwe said.

Mxolisi looked at her, showing her that he is listening. Thando went to her class to take her bag and her phone rang for a message.

[Finally you are back, tomorrow first break in the classroom you are in]

Thando looked around and she felt uncomfortable, she felt like she was watched.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

125 4 17
Friendships are fragile, but they become important when invested. So are Relationships. But out of those two, which is more important? Would you rath...
3.6K 176 36
What do you do when you clash both wheels and heart with someone you don't know? You stay away. And that's exactly what Gabby does. When Gabby and Ma...
266K 9.9K 38
"He was flirting with you and you are laughing." "So what, I liked it." Now he became dead serious and it did scare me. He came to me and whispered h...
766K 25.8K 45
Joe Smith. A basic name but there was nothing basic about him. With his chiselled features, green eyes that could pin you to the spot and a smile tha...