Dueling Critters, a Smiling C...

By TrevBev45

Note: These characters are intended to be 18+ in this alternate universe taking place in the story. S-M-I-L-E... More

Main Characters
Main Characters v2
Side Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 27

32 1 1
By TrevBev45

Chapter 27: The Tournament Starts Now!

The dueling field and audience are bursting with energy! Everyone in the audience was clapping to the 8 dueling critters that will be competing to become the best around and also fulfill their purposes in life!

“Yeah!” One audience member shouted, “Been waiting my life to watch duels in a tournament!”

“Me too!” Another shouted, “Been saving my savings to get myself a ticket to watch these duels in person!”

RatedRat was seen holding a microphone as she boots it up.

“Hello, testing, yes, is this thing on?” She said through the microphone, “Ok, this is working!”

RatedRat raised one of her arms out.

“Welcome everyone to the 10th Annual 8-Critter Duel Monsters Tournament!” She shouted, “As your announcer, I am popular online streamer, RatedRat!”

Everyone clapped and cheered.

“Now, let's take a look at the contestants out in front of me!” RatedRat said,

CatNap, DogDay, Bobby BearHug, Bubba Bubbaphant, Hoppy HopScotch, KickinChicken, DandyDragon and HoldenHowler were in the center of the tournament as they looked at RatedRat.

“Now, let's see who I should interview first…” RatedRat said,

RatedRat turned to DandyDragon first.

“Let's start with you!” She said as she turned nervous, “DandyDragon, yes? Uhhh, what are you here for in this tournament?”

“To see how far I can go.” DandyDragon replied, “That's it.”

“W-Wow… Simple, but effective.”

“Good, I'll take that.”

RatedRat gulped.

“Anyways, thanks for the response, DandyDragon!” She said, “We hope to see you do well!”

DandyDragon looked at RatedRat with a serious look. RatedRat quickly turned away to take deep breaths.

“Ok, moving on.” She said, “Who's next?”

RatedRat turned to Hoppy HopScotch, who was looking at her.

“Hoppy!” RatedRat said as she walked over to her with the microphone in her hand, “Tell me, what are you here for in this tournament?”

“...To make things right.” Hoppy said, “With not only myself, but for my close ones.”

“...Cool.”

RatedRat walked away. Hoppy chuckled.

“I still hate her.” She said to CatNap,

“I can see why.” CatNap said,

RatedRat turned to DogDay.

“Look at you, being all handsome!” She said,

DogDay blushed, embarrassed.

“I'm not interested in a sexual relationship with someone like you.” He said “Or one at all.”

“Come on, it's just a compliment!” RatedRat said,

“You're doing your job poorly.”

“...What is your biggest goal in this tournament?”

“To fix everything that's been going around me. A lot of stuff has been going on in my friend group, and since we're all competing against each other, it's gonna get a bit harder for me to maintain our friendships.”

“...Cool, nice idea.”

RatedRat turned to Bubba Bubbaphant.

“And what about–” She said before being interrupted by Bubba,

“--Same as DogDay's.” Bubba replied, “But I'm also doing this for a friend that's no longer with us.”

“Heartbreaking.” RatedRat said as she walked away,

Bubba sighed.

“I can see why Hoppy doesn't like her.” He said to DogDay,

“Yeah, such an egotistical rodent.” DogDay said,

RatedRat turned to Bobby.

“Bobby BearHug, yes?” She asked, “Tell me what your purpose for this tournament is!”

Bobby was a bit nervous.

“I… I rather not tell you.” She replied, “It's a bit embarrassing.”

“Ok?” RatedRat said, “Whatever floats your boat.”

RatedRat turned to KickinChicken and HoldenHowler.

“What do you two want to achieve in this tournament?” RatedRat asked them,

“I want to prove to everyone that I'm on top and will always be on top.” KickinChicken replied,

“I want to do this for my brother who's missing.” HoldenHowler replied,

“Your brother's missing?” RatedRat said, “...That's a bit suspicious.”

“I'm not behind it!”

“I didn't say you were! Good grief!”

RatedRat walked away as Bobby sighed.

“Wait!” Bobby hollered,

RatedRat turned to Bobby.

“Finally got something?” She asked,

“It's for a crush.” Bobby replied, “I wanted to tell them how I feel, but I don't know when is the best time to do so, so I decided to use this tournament to help me.”

“...Wow.”

RatedRat walked away, shaking her head.

“Pathetic.” She whispered to herself,

RatedRat then turned to CatNap.

“Ok, here's our last contestant!” She said, “CatNap!”

CatNap looked around and waved hi to the audience above him.

“So… CatNap.” RatedRat said, “Tell us, what is your biggest goal here in this tournament?”

CatNap sighed.

“Like DogDay and Bubba, I also want to try and fix things around our group.” He said, “But I also want to try and give everyone a clear message on who I am as a person. I'm not just an average emo cat with sleep issues that's always gonna have a short temper. Sometimes I can be friendly and not hold anything back in a duel. …So, yeah, that's it.”

“Lots of words!” RatedRat said, “Now, thank you all so much for telling us your goals in this tournament! We are looking forward to the first match of the first round! Head back to your waiting rooms while we get ready!”

Everyone did so. PickyPiggy was at the crowd, eating popcorn.

“Gee, I wonder who that secret admirer Bobby is suddenly telling us about.” She wondered, “Not sure if it's one of us, but I'm looking forward to finding out alongside the tournament.”

CatNap was in his waiting room with his new deck of cards and newly upgraded duel disk.

“...So DandyDragon will be my first opponent.” He said,

A knock was heard on the door.

“Come in!” CatNap said,

DogDay opened the door to reveal himself.

“Hey, bud! Excited?” He said,

“The opposite.” CatNap replied, “I'm somewhat nervous.”

“Hey, don't worry, it's gonna be all good. This is not only a fun tournament, but also where we could try our best to fix KickinChicken.”

“And this whole friend group…”

“That too.”

An announcement went off.

“Would the following contestants please report to the duel field: CatNap and DandyDragon.” The announcement said, “Round 1, Match 1 of the 10th Annual 8-Critter Duel Monsters Tournament between CatNap and DandyDragon will be starting in a few minutes or less.”

“Well, looks like it's time.” DogDay said,

“First duel of this tournament.” CatNap said, “Let's do this.”

CatNap and DogDay then did a fist bump together.

“Go get ‘em, CatNap!” DogDay said as he patted his back,

CatNap smiled as he then headed out into the dueling field.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 310 21
This book is primarily fun shenanigans with Catnap and Dogday [the main focus] as well as some others such as Kickin and Bubba! Some connected, some...
3K 71 10
What if there had been a 9th Smiling Critter? CrabbyCat had been CatNap's older sister. She didn't really have a large role in the show, but when th...
23.7K 423 20
(NEW DESCRIPTION) CatNap is a shy yet inside cat, he never usually tells anyone else. Anything. Ever since 'The Hour of Joy' and Player moving in. Wh...
16.9K 338 7
Yandere!Smiling Critters x Male!Child!Reader Y/n was a just a normal kid, wanting to make friends at Playcare, but no one wants to play and be friend...