The Blue Corridor

By Zilbermann

After arriving in a new town with his mother and sister, 18-year-old Daniel finds a mysterious corridor under... More

FOREWORD
Chapter One: Boxes
Chapter Two: The Door
Chapter Three: Exchange
Chapter Four: The Other Side
Chapter Five: War
Chapter Six: A Ripple
Chapter Seven: The Raven
Interlude One: A Man On The Grass
Chapter Eight: Falling Apart
Interlude Two: Judgement
Chapter Nine: Paradox Prisoner
Interlude Three: Spiral
Chapter Ten: The Journal
Interlude Four: Illusions
Interlude Five: Stars
Chapter Twelve: Land Beneath
Interlude Six: A Seeker
Chapter Thirteen: The Choices We Are Given
Chapter Fourteen: The Corridor
Final Chapter
Epilogue

Chapter Eleven: Time Between

0 0 0
By Zilbermann

Daniel and Roth found a rusty car on the outskirts of out-town. They needed to cross the Lake and get to the corridor as fast as they could. Changes in the world were simple at first. Flashes of the green and healthy world appeared as they were behind the veil. The danger grew over time as patches of glass broke through the veil appearing on the harsh wasteland. Houses crumbling while the transition happened, they appeared sometimes even in front of Roth and Daniel's car. They dodged and tried to get around them. Pieces of pavement appeared and cracked holes in the even ground of the wasteland. All these changes were uneven, and the ripples were not prepared to do the right job. The Prophet was indeed doing that out of the tension Daniel put on him. It was hard to tell how vast the ripples' influence was, but one thing was certain - their realities were starting to collapse, and they needed to do something to stop it.

After crossing Lake Hoover Daniel and Roth rode through the desert leaving nothing but clouds of dust behind. It took them less than an hour to get to the house. Just as Daniel left it, almost obliterated, missing the upper floor. The remaining walls were destroyed to the point you could think this was what was left from a nuclear explosion. The only intact thing was the basement hidden beneath the foundation. A room almost identical to the one he had back home, but without the furniture. There were only a few chairs and a table, covered in layers of dust that certainly weren't used for a really long time. On the wall on the other side of the stairs, there was the metal door to the corridor. Standing unbothered, stating its overwhelming presence around the room.

-God, that thing is huge... - said Roth. He was never here before, so his soul was filled with nothing more than curiosity and excitement. It was there, serving as a mask for the feelings digging deep in his conscience. Daniel wasn't excited. His expression was dull and hollow. He had hoped to go back home, but at the same time, he felt tired. Almost like he was unable to go further, yet at the same time he knew that going further was the only thing he had left to do. He couldn't find any life in that. It was just the determination and the determination only.

There wasn't a lot of light coming from the little windows by the ceiling, but it was enough for them to see the things they needed to see. Things like the journal pages, which described the sheer nature of the corridor, having drawings of it.

-It doesn't seem as if The Prophet built it. It is a study, not a blueprint. - Daniel stated surely.

The drawings were showing way too much for Daniel to understand right away. All the notes were messy, some things were scratched out to the point the rest was almost unreadable. Roth opened the metal door. Hinges squeaked under the weight of the door. Three lamps on their side of the corridor lit up one by one. The other door remained closed.

-The Blue Corridor. - Roth mumbled. - It's the first time I see it. - he seemed to be drowning in thoughts. - I just can't believe that a completely different reality is just behind that door.

One of the schematics showed a control box hidden in the wall somewhere. Roth began to look for it, as Daniel guided him. Smearing his hands along the right wall he felt a slight cavity in one spot. It formed a barely notable rectangle, hiding something on the other side. With a little push, the rectangle plate jumped away, revealing the control box itself. It was covered with nothing but rust. Upon opening it Roth saw a white crystal. Decrypting the schematic Daniel saw that it was called "The Source", but Roth still didn't know what to do with it, when suddenly the reality in the corridor shifted around. Waves and pulses coming from all sides. Roth momentarily turned to the other door. It was open. A girl was standing on the other side. A girl with a blonde strand of hair. Daniel looked into the corridor again looking at his sisters, now his age. He ran for it screaming - Maise! - Roth was confused and didn't move the slightest. It was the first time he saw the other side before his eyes. Behind Maisie stood the prophet, watching her like a father figure. Maisie was stressed, confused, and unstable. The sight of her brother frightened her. Took her consciousness away. With the help of the prophet, she closed the door before their eyes. Daniel bashed into the metal door. A hollow hook resounded inside the corridor. He started hitting the door with his fist. It was too much. The sorrow, disappointment, lack of strength. He was unable to do anything.

-You cannot listen to him! - Daniel shouted like she was still there, listening. - Don't do that! He will use you! Lead you to your death! - the scream made him calmer. Like something was really coming out of him. -Please... - he said with a soft voice, almost whispering. - Hear me.... - the corridor stayed silent. He focused for a second, looking for the train tracks inside of his mind. They were there, somewhere, but far away. He wasn't even on them. For a second Daniel thought it would be better if he never decided to leave them. Strands of fate pulling the strings, leading people in certain directions. He felt pretty much fed up with that.

-Hey. - said Roth. - We're going to find a way. - Daniel backed away from the wall, determined and ready. He went back to the basement and as he took a hammer into his hand he saw the prophet coming down the stairs.

-You think you can get away with this, you useless brat!? - Daniel backed out with the hammer in his hand.

-You broke so much already. You were supposed to stay in that fucking cage. Not even move. Not be the problem. I'm so disappointed.

-You don't seem disappointed. You're just mad that someone outplayed your stupid plan.

-Stupid plan? That is the only plan we have! The real world is a prison! Can't you see that? Only we could set it free again! Maisie saw that why didn't you?

-Weren't you supposed to guide her right now? I wonder what she is doing right now. Not following that plan of yours, I'm sure of that.

-I've made so many mistakes, created so many paradoxes. I won't let you and her be one of them.

Daniel took a hammer into his hand and went back to the corridor, but one of the guards stood in front of him.

-Get him. - the prophet ordered. His voice was dark and aggressive. He was done playing with them.

Roth standing near saw that Daniel wanted to do something. As the guards surrounded him, Roth ran into the guard standing on his way to the corridor. He pushed him, but the guard counterattacked instantly, slicing through Roth's shoulder.

-Go! - he screamed. His wound was deep, but the sacrifice was worth it.

His body felt light and agile, but his footsteps seemed heavy and brutal. He walked up to the control box and with all the force he had, he swung the hammer into the crystal.

-No! - The Prophet shouted. Daniel's hammer shook and cracked a little, the crystal did not, but something happened. In a short moment after the impact tears started breaking out the reality apart. Dark blue light consumed the surroundings as the cavities spread around as if they were hanging mid-air. Daniel could see different things through them. He saw the moment when the truck hit the tower. The train tracks - moving on them at high speed. His mom lies in a hospital bed as her pulse stops.

Suddenly the tears broke out, consuming everything that was in their place. Mountains, craters, and forests of the wasteland. Before they could even notice Daniel and Roth were drifting into a space they had never seen before. An endless black cosmos of pink, blue, and orange dancing with each other in the shape of things that resembled stars, galaxies, and planets. They were flying amid the feeling of pure tranquility. It felt as if someone wrapped a warm cozy blanket around them.

END OF CHAPTER

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 64 14
This is the story of a 13-year old boy who is trained to defeat dimensions, and was top of his class by doing so. He has worked so hard, he doesn't h...
178 7 12
A 20 year old young man is trying to honor the heroic legacy of someone who was very dear to him in his childhood, going from dimension to dimension...
65.9K 4K 35
Two 'average' Community College girls have their lives changed overnight when they accidentally cross over into a different dimension. Suddenly, Chim...
856 52 22
Living in a world 230 years after a world wide nuclear war Join the 4 characters epic fight for survival. In a world where nothing is safe, when waki...