Beyond The Gaze: A Love Unseen

By arlenerae

Ares Simon Knight, a wealthy business magnate, is known for his expertise and ruthlessness in business. After... More

Important Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - The Beginning!
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Until We Meet Again!
Visuals/Characters
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 65

280 9 1
By arlenerae

Elysia's POV:

My whole body tingled with sensation, feeling the warmth of his body against mine. I didn't know how he'd react; this was the first time I let my heart lead my decision on impulse.

This isn't like me...

I'd never taken such a bold step toward someone before, but perhaps, just perhaps... his recent displays of affection had given me the courage to take a chance.

For a few tense moments, he remained still, his body rigid with surprise. Then, slowly, I felt the tension in his muscles ease, but he didn't move away.

My heart raced inside my chest, my nerves practically vibrating with anticipation.

"Ella está aquí. Déjame llamarte de vuelta en un rato," Ares' voice broke the silence, as he spoke to the person over the phone. He ended the call, but still, he didn't speak or move.

(She's here. Let me call you back in a bit.)

I sensed his deep, drawn-out breaths, longer than usual. His hand, which had held the phone, fell to his side, while the other, clutching a cigarette, remained motionless.

There was a heavy silence in the spacious office, punctuated only by the sound of our breathing. Nervously, I bit my lip at the quietness and took a deep breath before speaking.

"T-thank you," I began softly, "A-and sorry." I hurried to add, "Thank you for helping my mom receive the surgery she needed on time." His muscles tensed at my words, and I hastened to clarify, "I-I know it was because you donated to the hospital where your mother receives treatment, but your contribution saved my mom's life." My grip around his waist tightened slightly. "And for that, I'll always be grateful to you, Ares."

Gradually, I felt his tense muscles relax at my words, yet the rapid thumping of his heart echoed in my ears. He remained silent, so I continued.

"And I'm sorry for the other day," I whispered softly, resting my cheek against his back. "I never meant to hurt you..." My lips trembled and a lump formed in my throat as I remembered the look in his eyes on that day.

I felt Ares heaving a long sigh before he gently untangled my arms from around him. A surge of apprehension flooded through me, mingling with other negative emotions.

Was he about to reject my apology?

What would I do then?

Anxiety started to creep within me. I watched as he dropped the cigarette to the floor, extinguishing it under his heel before turning to face me, his imposing figure looming over mine, my heartbeat was ringing loudly inside my ears. My gaze automatically lifted to meet his intense light brown eyes, which seemed to bore into mine with an inscrutable expression, making it difficult to discern his thoughts.

I held my breath, unable to tear my eyes away from him, waiting for any sign of his reaction. As his left hand rose, my eyes followed its movement instinctively.

Ares placed his hand over his chest, tapping it lightly, a faint smirk playing at the corner of his lips. The scent of fresh mint mingled with a hint of smoke washed over me as his warm breath brushed against my face. "My front is also cold," he murmured, his voice low and husky, as he spread his arms wide.

My breath caught in my throat, my mouth hanging open as I blinked at him, utterly stunned.

In a daze, my feet moved of their own accord, drawing me closer to him, almost as if they were under a spell. I allowed him to enfold me in his embrace, and as his smirk softened into a gentle smile, his arms wrapped around me securely.

One arm encircled my neck while the other held me close at the waist, pulling me snugly against him, and a fluttering sensation erupted in my stomach, as if a whole zoo had come to life within me. A rush of warmth flooded my cheeks, and the heat spread to my ears, tinting my face with a slight blush from the intimate contact as I rested my cheek against his solid chest, feeling the steady thud of his heartbeat, and my hands circled around his waist, holding his shirt within my grip.

His musky scent, tinged with a hint of cigarette smoke, enveloped my senses, transporting me into a world where nothing existed except him—his arms, his warmth, his presence...

'Like a dream comes true...' A voice in my head whispered.

"I'm also sorry..." Ares' voice, low yet firm, reached my ears. I felt his nose gently brush against my hair as he took a deep breath. "I swear it wasn't because of you. I know you would never think of us like that. It's just... me and my messed up mind. You have nothing to apologize for."

His words... Just his simple words were enough to soothe my anxious heart after days of restlessness.

He no longer seemed upset with me, nor did he blame me, yet I didn't want him to blame himself either.

"But—"

"Shh..." Ares gently silenced me, "No need to explain further," he said, resting his chin atop my head. "I understand that everything is new for you, just as it is for me. I apologize for my outburst that day. We'll proceed at your pace, whenever you're ready." Each word he spoke filled me with deep warmth, relief, and a sense of comfort.

However, there was something nagging at me. I wanted to understand what he meant by his "messed up mind."

"Wh—" I began, tilting my face up to meet his gaze, intending to ask him, but as our eyes locked, his face just inches above mine, my words evaporated, leaving my mind blank. The intensity in his stare sent a strange shiver down my spine.

My heart pounded fiercely in my chest, my breath catching in my throat, and my lips parted slightly as I felt his hand on my waist shift, his thumb beginning to trace slow circles along my side, sending shivers racing across my skin.

When I noticed his gaze flickering to my lips, every nerve in my body ignited with a fiery sensation, and it felt as though several storms of tickles raced along my veins. I didn't even realize when my breathing quickened.

My body's own reaction felt foreign to me—what was happening to me?

"Sia," A gasp escaped my lips at the endearment of my name from his lips. His voice, deep and tender, sent yet another shiver down my spine. I swallowed instinctively, locking eyes with him as I felt Ares draw closer.

His eyes searched mine, perhaps seeking any sign of resistance, and when he found none, his gaze zeroed on my lips, hovering mere inches away from mine.

Was it really going to happen?

My first kiss...

With Ares!!!

Lost in a daze, I watched as his lips moved closer to mine, unable to think of anything except him, me, and the moment between us...

My eyelids drooped, slowly closing as...

Knock! Knock!

"Eek!" A loud knock on his office door shattered the moment, jolting me out of my reverie. Startled, my body instinctively jerked backward, and I let out a yelp, attempting to step away.

"F*ck!" Ares cursed under his breath before his arm around me tightened, pulling me closer on reflex, steadying me in his embrace, cradling my head on his chest with one hand and holding my waist firmly with the other, refusing to let me retreat as the door slid open and footsteps echoed into the room. "I'll burn this damn building down, I swear!" His voice was a low murmur, filled with frustration and anger.

In an instant, his earlier anger was on rise but this time, he seemed fully in control.

If I hadn't been so startled, I might have burst into giggles. Ares Simon Knight, the workaholic, annoyed because of work?

"This better be a matter of life and death, Ronald." He growled, his tone frosty and exasperated.

I heard Ronald clear his throat before his hesitant voice rang out, "Um, Sir, it's important..." I waited for him to continue, but he fell silent.

My face was pressed against Ares' broad chest, so I couldn't see Ronald. After a few moments, Ares' hand on the back of my head shifted, gently tilting my face upward to meet his gaze.

I found myself met with Ares' softened features and the return of his tender voice, a stark contrast to his earlier interaction with Ronald. "Sweetheart, why don't you pay a visit to the floor just below this one? I have a surprise waiting for you there," he suggested in a hushed tone.

As his eyes flickered to the locket around my neck, hidden beneath my dress, I noticed a strange emotion briefly flash across his features. However, he quickly masked his expression, leaving me wondering what that meant.

My thoughts scattered as his words sank in. I nodded absentmindedly in agreement and replied, "Ah, sure."

Ares ran his fingers through my hair for a moment before releasing me. A familiar sense of emptiness settled in my stomach as his arms untangled from my waist.

Exiting his office quietly, I couldn't shake the feeling that Ares was purposefully sending me away, as if the matter Ronald mentioned was too confidential for my ears, even though I was his executive assistant.

Was it truly personal?

I pondered this as I made my way to the elevators, stealing a glance back at the closed office door behind me. But then, I reminded myself, I was also his wife. What could be so confidential that he couldn't discuss it in front of me?

As the elevator doors chimed open, my mind became more entangled in these thoughts than in his promised "surprise" for me.

Pressing the button for the floor below, I shook off the absurd thoughts. "Stop overthinking! It could be anything. It doesn't mean he's hiding something..." I scolded myself as the doors slid open.

All my musings dissipated as I stepped out of the elevator, entering the newly relocated design department.

My jaw dropped as I took in the stunning architecture and interior of the department.

The architecture exuded a timeless elegance, blending cedar and mocha hues with crisp white walls. Luxurious yet simple, the department radiated sophistication in every detail. I stood in awe of the hall and offices, feeling enveloped in warmth and comfort.

It wasn't that the previous department lacked quality, but this one felt more inviting and refined, a departure from the classic business style.

Knowing that Ares designed it himself; every detail, design, furniture, all of it, just as a surprise for me made my heart race like crazy. Every element, chosen with me in mind reflected his sincerity, his feelings and his affection.

Soon, I was led to my office, which mirrored the elegance of the entire department. But it wasn't just the aesthetics that caught my eyes; every design necessity was meticulously arranged. A cozy couch nestled in the corner, adorned with soft pillows and blankets neatly stored below.

Every inch of my office was thoughtfully equipped. Guides, previous design files, and marked books lined the shelves, accompanied by notes penned in Ares' handwriting, about everything I needed to consider while designing pieces, like he studied the files for days to just point out the main facts to help me.

As I surveyed my office, a lump formed in my throat, and I bit my lip, blinking back the tears that threatened to spill from my eyes.

Loving someone doesn't mean you have to bring them the moon or the stars, but rather caring for their little things, providing for them, making them feel that you're always there for them, that you're always in their thoughts. That's what love is...

I have done this countless times for everyone around me—caring for their smallest needs, always being there for them. But having Ares do these things for me...it made me feel something. It made me feel like I mattered, like I truly meant something to him.

In the past, when we were highschool, I often wondered what it would be like to be Ares Simon's woman.

When Ares and Aubrey were dating, I never wanted to admit it, but I felt envious. Envious of Aubrey having someone like Ares who loved her dearly and cherished her so deeply.

A message notification interrupted my thoughts, pulling me back to reality. I closed the file I held and wiped my eyes before reaching for my phone in my purse.

My eyebrows knit together in confusion as I read the message from a bank: "Welcome to Royal Capital Bank! Your new account is now open. Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance. Thank you for choosing Royal Capital Bank."

Huh?

What bank account?!

My thoughts swirled in confusion when another notification appeared. Initially dismissing it as a business article, I was about to swipe it, however, the headline, "Is it the fall of Anderson Companies?" grabbed my attention, prompting me to click on the notification for more information.

*****************

Next update, the day after tomorrow as usual, Stay tuned lovelies, and grab your coffee mugs for the upcoming drama! 😉

Please, do share your lovely thoughts about today's chapter. Your comments encourages me to write next even when I don't feel like writing at all... ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 161 29
As the Goddess of Ghosts, Melinoë struggled to make friends growing up that weren't already dead. Melinoë, the only child of Hades and Persephone, th...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
1.3M 29K 65
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS 'The Scars Of Your Love' - Emmeline Adams is just getting settled into her new life as a college student in Berkeley, Californi...
70K 362 40
Sophie's heart gets broken on her 2nd anniversary. Not long later she starts dating again only to be let down. Then a blonde boy makes his way into h...