Ray of Light

By -EJWrites-

''You're my ray of light, you know that?'' Ray Hopkins is a 15 year old with dreams bigger than her bedroom... More

āœµ Ray Hopkins āœµ
āŠ Chapter one: The Mug & Muffin āŠ
āŠ Chapter two: Roof of NYC āŠ
āŠ Chapter three: Meeting her āŠ
āŠ Chapter four: Auditions āŠ
āŠ Chapter five: Lilian Maximoff āŠ
āŠ Chapter six: Trailers and Chinese Takeaway āŠ
āŠ Chapter seven: Dealing with it āŠ
āŠ Chapter eight: First scene āŠ
āŠ Chapter nine: Teenagers and adults āŠ
āŠ Chapter ten: February 3rd āŠ
āŠ Chapter eleven: Rescued from the shadows āŠ
āŠ Chapter thirteen: Things are better now āŠ
āŠ Chapter fourteen: Court case and an invitation āŠ
āŠ Chapter fifteen: Dinner āŠ
āŠ Chapter sixteen: Some time later āŠ
āŠ Chapter seventeen: Delilah āŠ
āŠ Chapter eighteen: A lot of consideration āŠ
āŠ Chapter nineteen - Departure of the Widow āŠ
āŠ Chapter twenty - Why is Gamora? āŠ
āŠ Chapter twenty-one - Bad habits āŠ
āŠ Chapter twenty-two: Northern Lights and a worried Scarlett āŠ
āŠ Chapter twenty-three: A metaphor āŠ
āŠ Chapter twenty-four: Dyslexia āŠ
āŠ Chapter twenty-five: Girlfriend Is Better āŠ

āŠ Chapter twelve: New home āŠ

213 10 2
By -EJWrites-

February 4th, 2017

Ray

Scarlett had provided me with a safe place to sleep that night, to which I was truly grateful. I didn't expect her to keep me in her house for any longer, so when she explained to me the next morning that I'd have to go somewhere else, I wasn't surprised.

"It's okay," I replied, fidgeting with my fingers. "I know I can't stay here."

"Ray, honestly, I'd love you to stay," Scarlett assured me, taking my hands gently as she crouched in front of me as I sat on the sofa.

"No, it's okay honestly," I said. "Don't worry about it. I'm really grateful for you letting me stay last night."

She smiled softly.

"I know this is gonna be hard, but I need you to tell me exactly what happened last night when you went home," Scarlett said, moving to sit beside me on the sofa.

I pulled my hands away from hers so I could tug on the hair tie that was around my wrist. She was right. I had to tell her, otherwise I might get sent back there to be abused all over again.

"Uhm well-"

"Mommy who's that?"

My eyes snapped onto the small girl that was stood in the room, eyes wide and looking between me and Scarlett. Scarlett herself turned and went over to the girl, kissing her forehead.

"That's Ray sweetheart," Scarlett said to the girl in a soft voice.

I saw Scarlett's husband - Colin - stood in the doorway. He smiled at me when he caught my gaze. I looked away. He didn't seem nasty, but I just had such a bad relationship with any man that came into my life that I just couldn't bring myself to even begin to trust him. Not yet.

"Rayyyy," the girl repeated my name. "Why is she on our couch?"

"She stayed over night," Scarlett replied.

The small girl's eyes were fixed on me, making me shift uncomfortably.

"Why?"

"Because she needed my help."

I was grateful to Scarlett for not telling the child much, and keeping her answers as vague as possible.

"Mommy I want breakfast," the little girl declared, moving her gaze from me to Scarlett.

"Hey, how about I make you pancakes?" Colin suggested, walking over to the little girl.

She cheered and clapped, then took Colin's hand as they walked away into the kitchen. Scarlett came back to sit beside me, a smile on her face.

"That's my daughter, Rose," Scarlett said. "Sorry if she made you uncomfortable."

"No, no it's fine," I replied. "She's only young. It's probably normal to be inquisitive."

Seeing Rose with Scarlett - the mother daughter relationship - it made me jealous. Why couldn't I have that with my mother? Scarlett didn't fall in love with an abusive man and his druggie son. She didn't let her daughter be hurt and force her to look after herself at 5 years old.

"What happened?" Scarlett asked. "You were just about to say before we got interrupted."

"Uhm well..." I hesitated.

I was ready before. Ready to tell her. Now I wanted to shrink away and ignore her question.

"Hey, it's okay," Scarlett assured me softly, shuffling ever so slightly closer. "Nobody's gonna hurt you here."

I looked at her desperately. I needed to tell her. I needed to trust her. I did trust her - right? Before I even realised it, I was telling her everything. I let myself continue. It was important she knew.

Scarlett

Once Ray had finished telling me everything, she took a shaky inhale, screwing her eyes shut. What she'd told me shocked me into silence. What sick people treated a girl like that? I found my fists clenched and I hastened to unclench them. But oh god, I was pissed. It was bad enough that she was completely ignored by her own mother for a druggie stepbrother, but to be abused and ignored? That was beyond acceptable. Nobody should have to go through with that.

When Ray finally breathed out and opened her eyes, I could tell she was on the verge of tears but was holding them back. She didn't fully trust me yet, which wasn't surprising.

"I'm going to have to call the police," I told her.

Watching her eyes widen with fear, I quickly explained, "I didn't think I'd have to, but if the people in your house treat you so badly, it's for your benefit."

The girl seemed to calm down slightly and nodded.

"Where will I go?" she asked, dread lacing her tone.

"Not back there," I told her firmly. "Somewhere where you'll be looked after properly."

Ray nodded and stood up.

"I-I need to go to the bathroom."

I nodded and called after her, "I'll make you some breakfast!"

~~~~~~

So, I'm just gonna ignore the cut on Ray's wrist for now. Hope that it was from her stepfather and not something else. Now wasn't the right time to bring it up anyway.

"I-I don't wanna go," Ray muttered, swaying back and forth as we sat in the police station.

"Ray, you have to," the social worker opposite us said. "Neither Scarlett nor Colin are legally allowed to house you."

"But I stayed there last night!" Ray protested. "And that's not illegal!"

"No because it was temporary."

"Why can't it be temporary for a few days until she's allowed to let me stay?" Ray demanded.

The panic was making its way back into her voice and it hurt me to hear it. The social worker looked at me with concern. I returned the glance with a small shrug and the smallest shaking of my head.

"Because it's the law."

"The law's fucking broken!" Ray snapped, clenching and unclenching her fists with anxiety and frustration. "It lets some random guy live in my house with a guy who does drugs and gets away with it, but it doesn't let me stay with someone who doesn't fucking hurt me! How is it fair? Why- why- why-"

Ray slumped over her knees, hands around the back of her neck scratching, sobbing. The social worker nodded to me, then Ray, and left the room. My heart broke for the underfed, abused teenager sitting beside me. I moved over and put my arms around her, pulling her into my chest and stroking her head soothingly.

"It's alright..." I whispered into her ear softly. "It's gonna be okay..."

I rocked back and forth slightly as I held her, as I had picked up that rocking calmed her down, and it helped. I stayed embracing her for a few minutes until she mumbled something into my chest.

"Sorry sweetie?" I asked, moving backwards. "I didn't hear you."

"I had a dream," Ray told me, staring straight past me at the carpet. "I got everything I wanted. When I woke up, I realised it wasn't true."

"You have some of what you wanted though if I'm right."

"What do you mean?"

"You got to be an actress," I told her. "Got to play Lilian Maximoff."

"Oh, yeah," she managed a small laugh. "That's the best thing so far."

The sound of the door opening made us both look at the door. Ray pulled away from me, wiping her eyes.

"She's here," the social worker told Ray.

Ray looked like she wanted to argue, but instead she picked up her bag and stood up.

"Do you want me to come out with you?" I asked.

She shook her head, and asked, "Do I need to come into work tomorrow?"

"I'm sure you'll be allowed the day off if I explain to them why."

Ray nodded, then walked out of the room, the fingers of her unoccupied hands tapping at the side of her thigh anxiously. Good luck Ray I found myself wishing silently.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 58 4
What happens when Adalynn is forced to live with Scarlett?
17.4K 268 15
what if one day Natasha's little sister Alina Romanoff who is only 15 years old and was meant to be staying with their adoptive sister Yelena belova...
65.8K 1.2K 31
Your mom is Natasha romanoff and your name is Angelina romaoff you will start off as a newborn and grow up in the story.
256K 5.7K 85
These are some one-shots of the lovely Black Widow cast with a kid/teen. Also including the Marvel cast, sometimes one-shots in the Marvel world, too...