Ray of Light

By -EJWrites-

''You're my ray of light, you know that?'' Ray Hopkins is a 15 year old with dreams bigger than her bedroom... More

✡ Ray Hopkins ✡
❊ Chapter one: The Mug & Muffin ❊
❊ Chapter two: Roof of NYC ❊
❊ Chapter three: Meeting her ❊
❊ Chapter four: Auditions ❊
❊ Chapter five: Lilian Maximoff ❊
❊ Chapter six: Trailers and Chinese Takeaway ❊
❊ Chapter seven: Dealing with it ❊
❊ Chapter eight: First scene ❊
❊ Chapter nine: Teenagers and adults ❊
❊ Chapter ten: February 3rd ❊
❊ Chapter twelve: New home ❊
❊ Chapter thirteen: Things are better now ❊
❊ Chapter fourteen: Court case and an invitation ❊
❊ Chapter fifteen: Dinner ❊
❊ Chapter sixteen: Some time later ❊
❊ Chapter seventeen: Delilah ❊
❊ Chapter eighteen: A lot of consideration ❊
❊ Chapter nineteen - Departure of the Widow ❊
❊ Chapter twenty - Why is Gamora? ❊
❊ Chapter twenty-one - Bad habits ❊
❊ Chapter twenty-two: Northern Lights and a worried Scarlett ❊
❊ Chapter twenty-three: A metaphor ❊
❊ Chapter twenty-four: Dyslexia ❊
❊ Chapter twenty-five: Girlfriend Is Better ❊

❊ Chapter eleven: Rescued from the shadows ❊

228 16 9
By -EJWrites-

February 3rd, 2017

Scarlett

I was surprised when I got a text from Ray at almost 9pm. She was asking if she could call me, but if it could be private.

"Scar, you alright?" Colin asked, seeing my face change as I read the message.

Biting my lip, I replied, "Remember me telling you that Ray was the girl who had tried to steal my purse that night?"

"Of course," Colin replied. "You said you thought something was wrong."

I looked at my husband, dread in my stomach and showed him the message.

"Well-" Colin hesitated, thinking of his reply. "Maybe she's just on her period?"

He had a small smirk on his face. This joke made me laugh slightly, but I playfully glared at him, before returning to my original serious state.

"You should call her," Colin advised. "It might be something small, but you don't know until you find out."

I nodded and called her, putting the phone to my ear. After a few seconds of the phone ringing, she picked up.

Ray

I sat in an alleyway shivering, coat wrapped tightly around me. It was warmer and more sheltered than the roof of that antique shop. My phone was gripped in my freezing hand, waiting to see if Scarlett would call me. I heard sirens suddenly, so my head shot up. What if they're here for you? To my immense relief, they passed by. Glancing back down at my phone, I saw that Scarlett was ringing me.

Putting the phone to my ear, I picked up the call.

"Is everything okay?" Scarlett asked.

"I need help," I reluctantly admitted.

"Where are you?"

Her voice sounded more panicked. Shit, I didn't mean to panic her.

"No, no, I'm not hurt," I replied quickly. "I mean, I am, but it's not bad."

"Ray, where are you?"

"Somewhere in New York," I replied vaguely.

I honestly didn't know where I was.

"Near your house?"

"N-not really. I-I kinda walked r-really far," my voice was trembling now. "Scarlett I-I'm scared."

I hated how vulnerable I sounded. 

"Ray, it's gonna be okay. I'm gonna come pick you up, okay?"

"But I don't know where I am!" I replied, my voice reaching a higher note of panic.

I was beginning to hyperventilate due to the panic and fear coursing through my body.

"Ray, Ray, breathe," Scarlett ordered firmly.

"I can't," I gasped, leaning my head against the wall of one of the two tall buildings boxing me into this alleyway.

I was crying now, but I was trying to stop. Dammit, you're so weak! You could just survive by yourself! Fake your own death or something, you don't need people! You've looked after yourself for long enough!

"Yes you can. You have to."

I tried to slow my breathing down with the aid of Scarlett's calm and calming voice from the other side of the phone.

"That's it, you're doing great," the woman soothed. "Now, do you have Google Maps?"

"Yeah," I replied, nodding for no real reason.

"Put your phone on speaker and then send me a screenshot of where you are."

I followed her instructions, then when I had sent her the screenshot, I asked, "You aren't gonna tell the police or anything, right?"

"No, of course not," Scarlett assured. "I'm gonna come pick you up, then you're gonna have to tell me why you're not at home."

With a deep breath, I agreed, "Okay."

"Alright, I'll be there in ten minutes. Do you remember what my car looks like?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'll see you soon sweetheart," Scarlett finished, then hung up.

Scarlett

"Are you sure you're alright to go alone?" Colin asked as I grabbed my coat.

"Yeah," I replied, nodding.

"Here, she might want something to eat or drink."

My husband passed me a bottle of water and some biscuits.

"Thankyou," I thanked him and we quickly kissed before I left the house.

~~~✸~~~

I got out of the car as I saw Ray emerge from an alleyway, a bag slung over her shoulder. Even in the darkness, I could see her exhaustion from the shadow of her slumped shoulders, her limp. I hastened to take her bag and put it in the back seat.

"Come on sweetheart, let's get you somewhere warm," I whispered to her, putting my arm comfortingly around the girl as she stumbled over to the car.

Once I knew Ray was in the car and her seatbelt was on, I went around to my side and got back in.

"Do you want anything to eat or drink?" I asked her.

Ray didn't reply, simply staring out of the window with what seemed like laboured breathing. I gently tapped her arm to attract her attention. When she turned her head to me, I knew something bad had happened, and I braced myself for her story. Instead, she just leant her head against the back of the seat and started crying uncontrollably.

I knew that Ray probably just wanted to get whatever she needed out of her system, so I simply held her hand whilst she cried.

"They kicked me out," Ray finally spoke.

"Your family?"

The young girl beside me nodded sadly.

"I didn't know where to go or what to do," Ray sighed. "I'm so sorry for calling you. I know it's really late and you probably were busy."

"No, it's no problem, honestly," I assured her.

I let go of Ray's hand and started the car. As we drove, I took a deep breath and asked the question I knew needed asking.

"How did you get hurt?"

"Them."

I knew she meant her family. It was just logic. They had hurt her then kicked her out. I knew I'd need to call the police - after I find out the whole story of course - and Ray would be put into foster care. As I drove down the road, I glanced at Ray. She was staring out of the window, but she looked zoned out. Not deep in thought type of zoned out - just thoughtless staring. My heart wrenched for the girl. I only knew part of the story, and I felt so bad for her. The pain she was going through. I'd have to tell her that she couldn't stay with me, but for now I needed to focus on her current state.

"Do you have any clothes with you?" I asked Ray, indicating to the bag on the back seat of my car.

Ray nodded her head with a hummed response. I smiled softly at her. She saw it - I could tell - but she just kept her head down and didn't respond.

"Are you okay with sleeping on the couch?" I inquired.

"Of course," came the quiet reply. "I can leave though. Find somewhere else."

"No," I shook my head. "You're 15; you shouldn't be on your own on the streets."

"Scarlett-?"

"Yeah honey?"

"Why are you so nice?"

This question took me by surprise. I stayed quiet whilst I pulled onto the drive, contemplating my response to this inquiry.

"Because there's too much hurt in the world. Too many people who aren't nice and do horrible things to innocent people. Everyone deserves somebody to look after them when they feel sick, or just need a hug."

I was honestly surprised to realise I had been referring to the troubled teenager in my passenger seat.

"I wanted to tell you ages ago," Ray whispered. "But I couldn't. I barely knew you."

I felt a responsibility as she said this. She had placed an amount of trust in me - even from day one - and now I knew why she had always seemed just a little more relaxed around me.

"You just didn't know how I'd react I guess?"

Ray shook her head.

"Whether you'd be mad, or not care... after all, I'm not your daughter."

I forced myself to keep the words I desperately wanted to say in my mouth. Instead, I said, "Come on, we can talk more inside."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 297 24
❝sometimes I feel like if I start crying, I'll just never stop.❞ stranger things steve harrington x female oc season 4
6.2K 183 14
Evansson's twins ff (English isn't my first language!) (I always try to update as quickly as I can.) ---- One night, the two young actors Scarlett an...
1.9K 58 4
What happens when Adalynn is forced to live with Scarlett?
4.7K 170 5
Just as a little backstory. So. You are Scarlett and Ryan's biological daughter. You're 15 years old and found out that they're your biological paren...