Meet Me After Class

Por LeighFrankie

So who will it be for this hopelessly unromantic girl? The brooding best friend? Or the young and unquestiona... Más

Meet Me After Class
Chapter 1: 18th Birthday
Chapter 2: Don't Talk to Strangers
Chapter 3: Back to Megan and her Boobs
Chapter 4: The Substitute Teacher
Chapter 5: Hiding In Plain Sight
Chapter 6: Where's the Body?
Chapter 7: Oh Crap!
Chapter 8: RIP Daisy
Chapter 9: A Peace Offering
Chapter 10: The Bet
Chapter 11: Just Choosing to Do the Right Thing
Chapter 12: Passing Notes
Chapter 13: Red Velvet Cupcake
Chapter 14: Audition Jitters
Chapter 15: The Audition
Chapter 16: Lines and Lyrics
Chapter 17: The Cast
Chapter 18: Mom, Dad, Meet Mr. Scott
Chapter 19: About That Soap
Chapter 20: Field Trip
Chapter 21: Pizza and Milkshake
Chapter 22: About Jay
Chapter 23: New Friends
Chapter 24: Unmarked Trail
Chapter 25: The Cabin
Chapter 26: Crazy Storm and First Kiss
Chapter 27: The Day After
Chapter 28: Second Act and Getting Sidetracked
Chapter 29: See You
Chapter 30: The Elephant In The Room
Chapter 31: Not a Movie Date
Chapter 32: After Shift Kisses
Chapter 33: This is NOT a Date!
Chapter 34: The Acceptance Letter
Chapter 35: Merry Christmas
Chapter 36: Adam's Birthday, Penny's Party
Chapter 37: A Dilemma
Chapter 38: The Play
Chapter 39: Penny and Melissa
Chapter 40: Heart V Brain
Chapter 41: Penny's Confession
Chapter 42: Things Slowly Changing
Chapter 43: Confusing Times
Chapter 44: Say Yes to Prom
Chapter 45: Prom Night, Finally!
Chapter 46: Slow Dance
Chapter 47: The Longest 30 minutes
Chapter 48: In a Monochrome Haze
Chapter 49: An in-depth Relationship Assessment with Penny
Chapter 50: A Ticket to New York
Chapter 51: To Go or Not To Go
Chapter 52: Graduation Day
Chapter 53: The Longest 10 Minutes
Chapter 54: Off She Goes
Chapter 55: New York, New York
Chapter 56: Her Biggest Fan
Chapter 57: The College Canvas
Chapter 58: 2 Years Later
Chapter 59: Return to Pinecrest
Chapter 60: A Surprise Call
Chapter 61: One Year!
Chapter 63: Adam in Nepal
Chapter 64: The Cabin Part 2
Chapter 65: A Gap Year
Chapter 66: Closure
Epilogue

Chapter 62: The Perpetual VIP Pass

12 2 0
Por LeighFrankie

I power-walked to my car, barely holding in my flustered meltdown, until I slid behind the wheel.

"One year?!" I shrieked to mom's empty car. "ONE YEAR? And she's meeting his family already?!"

I smacked the steering wheel as my inner monologue spiraled out loud. "And she's so freaking sweet and perfect! Of course she is! UGHHH Adam, you oblivious jerk!"

I screeched out of the parking lot. On impulse, I headed for Cup and saucer—maybe seeing Belle would ground me. Plus, you know, rage baking is a thing.

Sure enough, I found Belle in Dad's office, chowing down on a grilled panini. "Hey! What are you doing here?" she mumbled through a mouthful. "I'm on lunch break, but Dad keeps almonds and dried fruit in here."

I started pacing in front of Dad's desk, ranting about the world's most awkward and disastrous lunch encounter. Belle's eyes went wide at Karen's name.

"You met Karen?! And you don't absolutely love her?!"

I stopped to glare at my sister, who was ogling me incredulously. Belle was clearly already a Karen convert.

"Um, excuse me?! Should I? With her adorable giggles and accent!" I imitated Karen poorly in my flustered state.

"She doesn't have an accent. She's Canadian." Belle just said, grinning. "And she's a genuinely awesome human being. She volunteers at the animal shelter, saving puppies and kittens. I want to be her when I grow up."

"Are you deliberately trying to annoy me?" I rolled my eyes and sank into the desk chair with a dramatic groan. This day could not get worse...

Belle shrugged, popping another grape in her mouth. "No. And I mean, Audrey said it's impossible not to love Karen. Woman's a freaking saint apparently. Adam met her in Nepal; she was backpacking after getting her veterinary degree."

I sank down lower with a pitiful whine. Of course, Karen was not only outgoing and pretty but also a do-gooder animal doctor.

Belle grinned, clearly getting way too much enjoyment out of my misery. "Sooo, are you going to be the maid of honor or bridesmaid at their wedding?"

I snatched a notepad off my dad's desk and beaned her with it. She cackled loudly until Dad poked his head in to check on the ruckus. I made a quick exit, Belle's teasing calls echoing behind me.

I sped out of the parking lot, fuming and directionless. I just needed to drive fast. But, oh, the universe had other plans, decorating the streets with trees that seemed determined to play an irritating slideshow of memories...

In an attempt to escape the relentless nostalgia, I impulsively steered towards Pine Crest State Park, a solid two-hour drive away. Hopefully, being immersed in nature would help me blow off steam.

I arrived and soon stomped down a wooded trail, using the breathing techniques I had learned in Urban Playhouse. Inhale anger; exhale calm.

After a few deep oak-scented breaths, I looked up and froze. An enormous oak tree towered before me. It was no doubt the same one Adam and I had stared at on our senior field trip.

Like an unwelcome guest, the memories flooded back forcefully. My chest clenched with renewed heartache.

On impulse, I veered off the main trail, trying to retrace our steps to that secret spot from years ago. The autumn sunlight faded as I walked deeper among the tall pines, using only my memory as a guide.

Finally, I heard the rushing water before I saw it—a slender ribbon waterfall spilling down mossy boulders into a crystal pool.

Our waterfall.

The tears I didn't realize I'd been holding back finally broke free. I sank down on a smooth rock at the water's edge, letting the tears flow unchecked. All the deep feelings I had buried long ago cascaded out along with the falls.

I let the tears flow, the waterfall rushing soothingly beside me. Time seemed to stop as I cried out all the conflicted feelings I'd stuffed down for years.

Gradually, my tears slowed, leaving me feeling oddly cleansed. The cold air WAS refreshing on my tear-stained cheeks. I took deep breaths, in tune with the churn of the falls. And thinking back on the awkward reunion lunch, I smiled faintly. Despite the emotional gut punches, it had been nice reminiscing with Adam one-on-one. A sweet, nostalgic glimpse at more tender times between us.

I checked the time on my phone—whoa, 4 p.m. already? Reluctantly, I left the sanctuary of the falls, the forces of the outside world already invading my blissful nature bubble.

The drive home was uneventful, but my mood remarkably lifted after the cathartic cry. I felt surprisingly okay about everything, Karen included.

What happened next was out of my control. I could only focus on me.

Dad's car was already in the driveway when I got home. He poked his head out from the kitchen as I came inside.

"Hey kiddo, there you are! Where were you all afternoon?"

"Oh, I'm just catching up with some other high school friends," I lied, already moving toward my room. Lying to Dad or Mom didn't sit right with me, never did, but confessing that I'd ventured off to Pine Crest State Park for a tearful meltdown over Adam's newfound special someone wasn't exactly on my to-do list. Nope, not today, not ever.

As soon as I was in my room, I collapsed backwards onto my bed, gazing up at the ceiling. With a sigh, I pulled out Adam's hair tie, dropping it next to me. My eyes drifted to the tree swaying outside my window, its branches beckoning me to climb up among them like old times.

Then a soft knock at my door pulled me from my reverie...

I rolled my eyes, assuming it was Belle back to torment me some more about saintly, perfect Karen.

"I'm sleeping!" I yelled loudly. "Go talk to your new BFF!"

The door creaked open slowly. I bolted upright as Adam hesitantly stepped inside. We stared at each other in surprise for a beat.

"Did you sneak past my dad?" I finally asked.

Adam grinned slightly. "I still have my VIP access pass."

An unwilling smile tugged at my mouth at the memory. But I quickly smoothed my expression, motioning for him to close the door.

He sat down tentatively at my cleared off desk as I stared at him. "Sooo, can we talk?" he asked softly.

I glanced away, hesitation and longing warring within me. With a small sigh, I met his gaze again, gesturing for him to begin. Wherever this conversation was headed, there is no going back now.

"Okay, first off, sorry for springing Karen on you like that," he started sincerely. "I honestly didn't think... well, clearly, that took you by surprise."

I let out a short, disbelieving laugh. "Um, understatement!" I shook my head, the words starting to spill out rapidly. "You've been with her for a YEAR?!"

Adam ran a hand through his hair with a heavy sigh. "I know, I'm sorry, I should've told you. I just didn't know how you'd react. We didn't exactly leave things on the best terms."

I opened my mouth to argue, but he held up a hand gently. "Please, just let me get this out."

I pressed my lips together as he continued. "That night, I was a mess. Begging you not to go to New York, but I didn't know I was asking you to choose me over your dream opportunity. Still, it was selfish and unfair."

His voice dropped. "And...I honestly thought I'd never see or hear from you again after how terribly we ended things. I didn't think you'd want me popping up a later going, 'Oh hey Wendy, I met this great girl traveling...' After what went down that night."

My righteous anger wavered as I saw real pain in his eyes. I spoke up hesitantly. "I didn't go to New York because of Mr. Scott, I swear. It was always about the internship for me. He was just...he was trying to get over a bad breakup too. He gave up a lot for a girl."

I took a shaky breath then continued, "He moved to London not long after he and his best friend started the theater company, The Urban Playhouse. And, you know what? We did hang out in New York. I mean, he was my only connection in that big city. But before long, I figured out we were just better off as friends. Sure, he still checks in sometimes, but that's about it."

hoping he'd say something, but he stayed silent, so I went on, "I'm sorry I didn't explain it all sooner. I wanted to, though. But when I came back, you were already gone..." I trailed off with a sad shrug.

Where would we be now if pride and hurt hadn't kept us silent all this time? The thought made my heart unexpectedly ache.

Adam stood abruptly from the desk chair, watching me closely. "I'm really sorry, Wendy," he said finally, so quietly. "For all of it."

"Me too," I whispered back. "Sorry for leaving the way I did. For never explaining myself or calling you in New York."

"You didn't need to explain anything back then, and you don't need to explain anything now." He took a small step toward me, then stopped short, struggling with some internal debate as he continued to gaze down at me.

I wanted to tell him that perhaps if I'd explained everything earlier, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. Yet, instead of letting the words fly, I locked them up tight in the vault of my mind.

"You're wearing it," he said, smiling at the necklace around my neck. "And that too," he said, pointing at the blue scrunchie on the bed.

"Of course."

Then a cheerful buzz split the moment. He fished his phone out, tension draining from his face as he looked at the screen. "It's Karen," he said simply. "I've to go."

Disappointment flooded me unbidden. I kept my eyes averted, afraid of what he might read in them. Then soon I heard the door click softly. And I let out a breath.

Even after hashing out so much, the gulf still felt wide between us. I tried to ignore the niggling voice in my head, wondering if a second chance had been hovering within reach, only to flutter away with Karen's call.

I flopped backwards with a sigh, wistfully eyeing the tree outside my window and wondering what now?

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

27.4K 979 34
Hi guys, I am back with a new story. Before that let me ask you a question. Do you have a lover?? May be yes , may be no. But all of us has / had a...
1.6K 158 29
• 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐄 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 • "What's your name?" I asked. "Damien," he said with his deep voice. I did not expect his voice to be...
10.2K 344 36
"If you loved me, I wouldn't be a secret." °•°•°•° Paige is the luckiest girl in the world...according to her and maybe every girl in Bishop High-tha...
87.7K 4.4K 44
𝙏𝙀𝘼𝘾𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙭 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘿𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙍𝙊𝙈𝘼𝙉𝘾𝙀 I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...