The Potion of Life

By driesmeesseman

In the realm of shadows, the enigmatic drows have endured for over ten millennia, their existence shrouded in... More

Prologue
Vilijn
Xaro
Bergold
Randar
Vilijn
Timel
Gandogar
Bergold
Randar
Oudenhuysen
Bertoldo
Oudenhuysen
Emelina
Hugon
H'Jar
Oudenhuysen
Randar
Robert
Valaar
Vilijn
Oudenhuysen
Bjorn
Colos
Knijster
Colos

Murales

5 1 4
By driesmeesseman

Here he stands again, in the temple of Quenya. He is surrounded by several dark elves. Everyone is attentively listening to Qrino Uhazus. These are important times. In a few weeks, they will begin kidnapping the light elves. By then, Imrae Dahvar wants to have trained as many dark elves as possible. Qrino Uhazus is teaching them a new spell, it is an ambitious spell. If successful, one can transform into a dragon. To prove this is possible, Qrino leads his students outside. Once outside, he transforms into a blue dragon and flies around.

Murales is still amazed when he sees Qrino transform. It's the third time he's had this exact dream. He realizes he's dreaming now, which wasn't the case before. However, why he dreams about dark elves remains a mystery. Ultimately, Qrino returns to his normal form and leads his students back into the temple. "The only way this is possible is by training enough. Also, your faith in the goddess Megteld must remain strong. Without her, none of this would have been possible," Qrino says. Murales finds this an interesting statement by Qrino. In these dreams and others, the goddess Megteld is spoken of as if she were an immensely powerful goddess.

However, on Mysterix, she is referred to as the goddess of defeat. Nevertheless, there are still people who believe in her. People offer sacrifices to her in ruined churches. Murales doesn't believe in the goddess Megteld; she has never really been on his radar. However, since these dreams, his interest has begun to grow. Qrino leaves the students alone and takes the stairs to the next floor of the temple. Murales follows closely; in these dreams, the dark elves do not see him. He is invisible to them, but he can observe everything.

He is now on the first floor of the temple. The rest of the elite of the black elves are present on this floor. Imrae Dahvar is also in this room, she is in a kind of trance. The second time Murales had this dream, he stayed on this floor. He saw Imrae come out of her trance and address her elite. She told them that Megteld is impressed and wants to reward them. After this, Imrae pointed out six sarcophagi on this floor. She told them that when they die, their bodies will find rest in these sarcophagi. Megteld did this to thank them. Their bodies would be safe forever in these sarcophagi. They would be an example for the many students who would still enter this temple.

However, Murales doesn't want to see the same thing this time. He decides to go up the long spiral staircase that leads to a large prayer room. In this room, fifty black elves are sitting in a prayer position. Their eyes are closed, and like Imrae, they are in a kind of trance. There isn't much else to do here, so Murales decides to go further up.

On the next floor, Murales comes across a sturdy closed obsidian door. He tries to open it, but the door is locked. Murales finds it a wonder that this door is made of pure obsidian. This is a very exceptional ore that is difficult to come by today. While he is studying the door, Imrae Dahvar passes by him. She waves her hand once, and the obsidian door flies open.

Murales sees that the room behind it is some sort of laboratory. Imrae walks to another black elf in this room. He stands by a table full of glass jars, manuscripts, and all sorts of scientific materials to create elixirs. Murales's attention is not on Imrae Dahvar or the other black elf. He is more interested in what is in this room. When he thoroughly examines the room, Murales is suddenly amazed. In a kind of display case, he sees a very familiar gemstone.

The gemstone looks exactly like the gemstone that caused him to be banished from the city of Morala. Could it really be him? Since Jordan asked him to poison the gemstone, all his misery began. Both his banishment and these dreams were the result of this. From the moment he tried to enchant the gemstone, he has been plagued by these dreams. Could the gemstone have reacted to his magic? Was there some sort of magic in the gemstone that defended itself that day? Did this cause a quarter of the population to die? Had he suffered permanent damage? Or were the dreams a gift? Were the dreams more than dreams, did they want to tell him something? Just as he runs to the display case with the gemstone, he suddenly wakes up.

He is back in his tent, and it is still dark outside. Why did he wake up? He wants to fall asleep again so he can examine the gemstone. However, he hears a loud scream. This scream did not come from an animal in the forest but from a human. It also seems to be coming from nearby. Murales dresses and takes his staff in hand. When he steps out of his tent, he hears sounds he hasn't heard in years. There is a battle raging in his forest. He hears weapons clashing and sounds of people dying everywhere.

He wants to find out what is happening in his forest. He decides to walk towards the sound. As the sounds get louder, he hides among the bushes and densely packed trees. He definitely doesn't want to get involved in this fight; it sounds serious. After a few minutes of walking, Murales sees a knight; he has a crest on his armor. It looks like a medallion; this is the emblem of House Electus. The knight is on his horse and gallops towards an orc, but this is no ordinary orc. A typical orc is smaller than a human and fights with a saber. This orc, however, is larger than an average human and fights with a diamond sword. To wield such a weapon, one needs a lot of strength.

The orc sees the knight coming towards him. Very quickly and precisely, the orc uses his sword to cut into the legs of the galloping horse. The knight falls off his horse, and the orc grabs the knight by his shoulders. He lifts the knight up until they are face to face. The knight's weapon is still on the ground; he is unable to defend himself. The orc rips off the knight's helmet and headbutts him. He then lets go of the knight, who lands with his head on a protruding stone. This causes his head to bleed. The knight looks dazed and cannot orient himself properly. The orc kicks the knight, causing him to fall on his back. Then the orc takes his sword and stabs it through the knight's head. He is instantly dead.

Murales has never seen such a strong orc. He sees the orc continue walking, and Murales decides to follow him. Not much later, Murales arrives at an open area in the forest. He often used this place to pick various herbs in this grassy field. It was one of the few places in this forest where the trees were not so close together. However, this place is now being used to fight a large battle. Murales sees more than a thousand orcs in this field. 

Some orcs even ride on large wolves. They are fighting against knights and villagers from the Jura realm. Each one bears the emblem of the Jura realm on their armor. The people are heavily outnumbered; they cannot win this battle. Then Murales sees an orc beginning to approach him. Murales focuses and utters the word: "Fear!" After saying this word, the orc looks at Murales as if facing his worst nightmare. He turns around and walks away fearfully from Murales. 

The spell of the evil eye has often helped him in situations like this.As he looks back at the battle, he sees an interesting turn. Despite being outnumbered, the people hold their ground in the center of the field. There, Murales sees the Duke of the Jura realm, Robert Electus. Robert is on his horse, slaying any orc that comes near him. Clearly, he stands for good morale because the men around him also hold their ground against the orcs. It even seems like they will maintain their position for the entire battle. Thus, they will succeed in driving the orcs out of the forest.

Then Murales hears a sound coming from a horn. It comes from the east, and when he looks in that direction, he sees something frightening. The orcs he had seen so far were already exceptional, but the ones he sees now are even worse. These orcs ride on wolves that Murales has never seen before. These wolves are larger, and their teeth look razor-sharp. They have a gaze in their eyes that does not radiate anything good. The orcs riding these wolves are even more muscular than the others. They wield large two-handed weapons in one hand. Murales has only seen such weapons a few times, and they were never wielded by an orc. Previously, giants fought with such large axes and clubs. These must be the leaders of this army.

Murales also sees who their leader is. There is one orc who does not wear armor. However, he looks so muscular that he does not need armor. He also has a sword that must be five times as wide as a regular sword. The length of this weapon is gigantic. This leader can also easily wield this sword with one hand. What distinguishes him from the other leaders is that his wolf is pure white. The other wolves have black or brown fur, but this wolf has white fur and red eyes. It looks like an albino that is more aggressive than the other wolves.

The leader shouts a command, and the leaders ride towards Robert and his men. The knights see the orcs coming and take their bows in hand. They shoot as a united army and hit some of the leaders. The arrows do little to the leaders; they are still on their way to the knights. The knights take up their swords again, and Robert shouts a command. They gallop on their horses towards the leaders, and the two armies meet. It's a battlefield; Murales sees several knights and horses die. Some leaders also fall from their wolves and continue fighting on the ground with some knights.

Soon, control in the battle is lost, and it turns into pure chaos. Murales cannot see who has the upper hand. The orcs look much stronger and have better weapons. However, the knights fight disciplined, and Murales sees more and more orcs and wolves dying. Robert's armor still looks new, and he throws every orc he encounters from his wolf. However, the leader of the orcs does the opposite to Robert's men. More and more people die from the gigantic sword of this orc. Then the two leaders meet each other. They both charge at each other with great speed, and their weapons clash. There is enormous power behind their strikes, yet neither of them falls from their mount.

Their fight is interrupted when several orcs attack Robert. Some remaining knights on the ground also attack the orc leader. Murales hears a loud cry coming from Robert, and in a sort of rage, he hacks off any orc that attacks him. The orc leader has little trouble with his opponents. However, it takes him longer than Robert. Robert picks up a spear he finds on the ground. He aims and throws the spear towards the leader. The spear hits the side of the albino wolf, causing the orc to lose his balance and fall to the ground.

However, he does not stay on the ground for long. Within moments, he is back on his feet and leaps towards Robert. With his large sword in hand, he lands a few centimeters in front of Robert. However, Robert sees this and tries to deflect the large sword with his own sword. He succeeds, but due to the force behind the attack, Robert still falls from his horse. The fight changes to a purely man-to-man fight. They both inflict damage on each other; both Robert and the orc leader begin to bleed. Neither of them pays attention to what is happening around them.

They are both so focused on their fight. They cannot both survive, and they both realize this. Murales believes that Robert is the better fighter and sees him slowly gaining the upper hand in this fight. The leader of the orcs has less and less strength as he attacks. This is probably due to the various small wounds on his body. However, this is not a fair fight between two opponents. Behind Robert, a leader rides towards him while still on his wolf. Robert does not notice this, and Murales is too far away to warn him.

The wolf bites Robert in the back and grabs him in its mouth. Then, with great force, it throws him to the ground. Robert lies weakened on the ground and begins to bleed heavily. The leader of the orcs walks towards Robert with a grin on his face. He kicks the weapon out of Robert's hand and then lifts him up. Afterward, he impales him with his sword in his chest. Robert screams, but soon no sound comes out of him. Robert Electus is dead, and the battle quickly turns in favor of the orcs.

The unity of the knights weakens, and soon a large number of them try to ride away on their horses. Those who remain have little chance against the large number of remaining orcs. When only a few people are left, the orcs stop killing them. Instead, they take them captive. These orcs are so strong, where do they come from? Murales follows the army from a distance and sees a temporary camp. In this camp, there are even more orcs and many more prisoners. Murales recognizes some of them; they are people from the city of Toro.

If they already have prisoners from Toro, it means they have been in Borgon for some time. How many cities could they have attacked already? Toro is located in the north of Borgon, and its forest is more central. The orcs take slaves, and they are numerous, for what purpose? Murales must stop them; none of the houses in Borgon are able to fight against these orcs. Especially now that the houses are more busy arguing with each other than helping each other. Murales turns around and starts walking back to his tent. He must stop these orcs; it would be his way to redeem his conscience.

It was his fault that a quarter of the population in Morala died years ago. Today, he can prevent more people from dying in Borgon. He can stop these orcs; he can save lives! When he is back in his tent, he immediately starts flipping through his books. He is looking for a specific spell, and after a few minutes of searching, he finds it. The spell requires a lot of concentration; this time he will not lose his focus! He walks out of his tent and looks at the sky above him. Then he raises his arms in the air and begins to mumble a spell. After thirty minutes, a kind of dome begins to form in the sky above him. The longer he performs the spell, the larger it becomes. Hours pass, and when the first daylight breaks through, there is a real magical dome over his forest.

He has incorporated all kinds of spells into this dome. The dome ensures that no orc can enter or leave his forest. All other types of beings will not see the dome and can simply enter and leave the forest. As long as Murales maintains this magical dome, these orcs will be trapped in his forest. To be able to sustain this, he will have to live in this forest for as long as he lives. Every week he will have to perform this ritual again so that the dome remains in existence. This is his sacrifice; this is how he makes up for his mistake from the past.

To protect people traveling through this forest, he will have to perform various illusion spells. This way, the orcs will not make new victims; they simply will not see the travelers. It will be exhausting, but he has taken the lives of so many people in Morala. He deserves a severe punishment. He will carry it out for the rest of his life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60 18 9
In Menzoberranzan love seems not to exist, almost as if it were an unknown feeling, or hidden behind the rock walls of the buildings, the veils that...
1.9K 70 17
Draco Malfoy, five years after the Battle of Hogwarts, has built a life for himself. He runs a successful business in Diagon Alley and keeps to hims...
935 63 34
Book One of "The Fireborn Chronicles" Born from fire and ash, peace will not rest until hope rises again. The magical land of Czahunlia is now under...
13K 449 19
Wild magic comes at a cost... that of the mind... Emelia dreams of escape from her life of servitude. She dreams of magical powers; she dreams of dar...