Babysitting the Campus Jerk

By ladycrookshanks

Jameson Kao is broke. So when he is offered with a babysitting job, he immediately said yes. But the baby he... More

BCJ 1 • strawberries and cigarettes
BCJ 2 • hired
BCJ 3 • the baby and his sitter
BCJ 4 • welcome to hell
BCJ 5 • his other side
BCJ 6 • broken
BCJ 7 • worse
BCJ 8 • community service
BCJ 9 • pete and peter
BCJ 10 • duet
BCJ 11 • john kavine
BCJ 12 • dinner
BCJ 14 • closer

BCJ 13 • child

473 41 8
By ladycrookshanks

***

"What the hell is wrong with you, Pete?! Let go of me!" Kao hissed as Pete aggressively dragged him out of the house. Kav tried stopping him but Pete just shoved him out of the way.

"I told you not to get close to him and now you're getting comfortable eating dinner with him at his family's house?? What are you now? Buddies or are you boyfriends?"

"Well, for one, Kav was kind enough to offer me a ride home because apparently someone disappeared without a trace! Second, I don't think my relationship with Kav concerns you."

"Kav? That's how you call him now? That guy has a complete name and now you're giving him nicknames?! Huh! Might as well live together if you're that close." 

"What are you really so furious about? Is it just because I didn't listen to what you said?"

"Yes! I specifically told you to stay away from him but you're doing the total opposite!"

"Because you're being unreasonable! Your relationship with him does not concern me just like how my relationship with him is out of your business."

"You're my babysitter, Kao! You should be siding with me. But here you are.. just.. just.." Pete exasperated as he ran his fingers through his hair. 

"So what now, huh? He's already got my mom, so he's going after you now? And then what? He's gonna take my dad and my friends and everyone around me, too?"

Seeing Pete's frustrated expression made Kao realize something.

Pete was afraid of being left alone. He was afraid someone would do what his mother did.

He felt a tug on his heart as he noticed Pete glancing behind his back, just where his mom was standing. He face softened for a while but immediately reverted back to being fierce as his gaze landed again on Kao.

"You are being paid by my dad so you better get your act together or I'll have your salary cut off," Pete warned before turning his back on Kao.

That statement alone was enough to replace the sympathy he was starting to feel for Pete. "Jerk."

***

He didn't see Pete for the entire week. He tried going to his condo unit but he was left unanswered no matter how many times he rang the door. He didn't wanna invade his privacy so even if he was given the passcode, he didn't even dare get inside his unit uninvited. 

He was still contemplating whether he would go to his babysitting duties on the weekend as they might end up in another argument. But he didn't wanna disappoint Pete's father and make him think that he was neglecting his duties, so, with clammy hands, he knocked thrice on Pete's door and waited for an answer.

Surprisingly, the door flung open, revealing Pete who was still in his boxers and with disheveled hair as if he had just gotten out of bed. 

"Good morning," Kao greeted lowly but Pete just ignored him and went back to his bedroom.

Kao could sense the heavy atmosphere between them but he just decided to dismiss it and proceeded to the kitchen where he expected it be the most cluttered space and he was not wrong. In the kitchen sink were several empty cupped noodles and some takeout boxes. 

He figured Pete would be hungry so he decided to make him some breakfast. It was a good thing he made a quick run to the grocery to buy a few ingredients because he knew Pete's fridge would be empty as hell. 

"Pete, I made you breakfast. I think you should eat. It's already late," he called out but there was only silence.

He decided to just bring the food to his room as he could see that the bedroom door was slightly ajar.

The room was still a bit dark when he got in so he opened the curtains to get some light into the room.

"Pete, you need to eat. It's already 10 in the morning."

Pete remained covered in the sheets and didn't say anything.

"Pete, come on. Get up. It's not good to skip breakfast," he said as he removed the blanket that was hiding Pete from his sight.

But still, Pete didn't budge. But what surprised Kao was the fact that he was wide awake the entire time. His eyes were wide open, staring at the ceiling. 

"I'm not hungry," he mumbled before pulling the sheets back.

"Fine, if you're not eating, then I'm leaving," he announced and headed to the door but before he could even open it, Pete's words stopped him in his tracks.

"Why does everyone leave me?" 

His voice was low, almost like a whisper, but Kao heard it clearly as if it was spoken directly to his ear.

"Because you're pushing them away."

"I was hurt," Pete replied. He was still under the covers but Kao could hear him sniffing. 

"Your mother didn't wanna hurt you, Pete."

"But she still did. And now she's with her new family like nothing happened. Do you know how much it hurts seeing their pictures together? I can't even remember the last time we spent time together let alone take photos together. I was left alone, Kao, alone."

"You still have your dad, your friends with you, you have Khai."

Me

He wanted to say that word but he didn't wanna embarrass himself by acting more than what a babysitter should. 

"My dad? Tss. Did you know I recently saw him on a date with a woman I haven't met. I know where this is going, Kao. My dad's gonna leave me for another family. And that leaves me what? Totally alone."

Kao remained silent as he didn't wanna invalidate Pete's feelings. He figured that could be the reason he hadn't seen Pete at the university for days. He'd been sulking in his unit for days and he felt guilty for he could have done something to make him feel better. 

"Why don't you shower and get dressed. You have to go with me."

"Where are we going? I just wanna stay in bed all day," Pete groaned. 

"Oh, come on. I will really leave you if you don't get up this moment."

He then grabbed the sheets off of Pete and grabbed him by the hand.

"Fine. Fine. Just let me organize my thoughts for a minute."

"Be quick. We have a lot of things to do."

***

"What are we doing here?" Pete curiously asked as his eyes wandered around the mall's grocery section. 

"To plant trees," Kao answered sarcastically as he grabbed a pushcart and motioned Pete to start pushing it. "We're gonna have to buy some stocks for you. You've been eating instant noodles, Pete. I'm surprised your kidney is still intact."

"They're the easiest to make. All you have to do is pour some hot water and then boom, you've got food. And the best part is, I don't have to wash anything. Easy life," Pete grinned and started following him. 

It was quite surprising how Pete didn't complain as he followed Kao the entire time. From time to time, he would curiously look at the items on the shelves and silently debate whether he would put them in the cart or back on the shelves. 

Kao found that utterly amusing. 

"No, that's not healthy," Kao remarked as Pete grabbed a pack of chips.

"Just one. Please?" Pete begged with a smile.

Staring at Pete with that look on his face made Kao realize how Pete craved for affection. During the short time they'd been together, he could see Pete's soft side which he would constantly hide behind a tough persona and he was glad that Pete would show him this side of him, even if he was doing it unintentionally. 

"Fine, just one," he surrendered. He could see a faint smile slip on Pete's face. "Okay, let's go to the fruit section."

***

He hid a smile as he looked at Pete sulking while sucking on a lollipop. Pete tried sneaking in a pack of cigarettes but luckily his eyes were faster than Pete's hands. 

"Are you gonna act like that for the rest of the day?"

"Tss. You should have let me have that pack. And besides, I'm the one who paid for everything. Don't I get to choose what I like?"

"You already have packs of strawberries, Pete. It's something that you like."

"They're two different things!"

"Of course, one is healthy while the other is not. Are you trying to get lung cancer with all the cigarettes you're puffing? And you can't deny that one. I saw all your empty packs in the bins at your unit," he berated as he saw more than three packs when he was cleaning earlier. 

"I-I was just stressed, frustrated. It's... it's a stress reliever!"

"And you'd be dead even before you could relieve your stress."

"Fine! I won't smoke..."

That statement made Kao smile. Finally, he was able to knock some sense into him.

"When you're around!" Pete giggled before grabbing the items they bought and running away. "I'm hungry! Let's look for a place to eat!"

He watched as Pete struggled to run with all the bags he was carrying.

Somehow, he was happy seeing Pete being back to being mischievous. 

Pete was unpredictable, but there was one thing Kao was so sure about. Pete just wanted to feel what it's like to have someone to care for him. He could be a jerk sometimes, but deep inside him was a child scarred by the past. 

"Guess, I'm babysitting a child after all," he smiled to himself before following Pete who was motioning to him to walk faster. 

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 3K 87
Ezekiel was his family's golden child. The only child that didn't have any charges, are disrespectful or just spoiled as fuck in his family of 11 chi...
429 11 12
Kao was a first year Law student. Tay was a fourth year Business student. Both meet at an unexpected circumstances. From know to like, from like to l...
197K 9K 32
[Completed] Pete's serene world turns upside down when he finds himself falling for his girlfriend's best friend, Kao. -
78.5K 4K 20
"using hatred to hide your feelings for him is very childish of you, sunghoon." "i do not care." sunoo thought getting a job and having money would s...