Be Careful When You Bite Me

By bynadine

Holly's life has always been normal. She had nice friends, good grades, loving parents, so how did she get su... More

Be Careful When You Bite Me
Chapter Two
Chapter three
Chapter Five
chapter six
chapter seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter twenty three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Four

19K 428 49
By bynadine

Read the entire book now on
Patreon.com/Bynadine
Or buy on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Be-Careful-When-You-Bite-ebook/dp/B0CLN42KS4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1HAD2GFBJEN8Z&keywords=nadine+alliye&qid=1700778973&sprefix=nadine+alliye%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed :) Updates twice a week, enjoy!

******

Chapter Four

In the night, seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours. I watched the sunrise, not having been able to catch a good night's rest. Lingering on my mind was the thought; where was Damon taking me and where?

The regular routine of a maid barging into my room to drop off my food and completely ignoring my existence replayed every couple of hours and I refused to leave my room. I was scared and unprepared for what's out there. I thought of Xavier's magical bite and almost laughed at how stupid I had been to let him have my blood.
I wonder if he tricked me or if he had been serious about the witch, and if so, how long?

I watched my reflection in the window and saw that the new scar was just a little bigger than the one Isabelle gave me. I shivered when I remembered his fingers trailing down my sides and his soft gentle kisses on my neck. How could he be so evil, so...cold but so luring. Everything about his touch was inviting and I was almost disgusted by how badly I wanted him to bite me again. I fixed my shirt to hide the scar.

I thought about my parents and friends and wondered if they were panicking yet. I thought of Jake, my ex, who was the reason I drove out of town in the first place. Had he not cheated and tore me to shreds I would have never felt the need to escape. I wondered what day it was and realized that I was losing track. I walked to the dresser beside my bed and opened the cellphone that had no more minutes.

I can't believe I wasted my phone call.

The time and date were October 16th, 2020, 6:34 pm.

In just a couple of days I was expected back at school. I wondered when I'd actually be back, what would my excuse be. I heard a knock at my door and stood up surprised because no one knocked. I felt sudden excitement that it could be Xavier and the witch.

"Come in," I let out and walked in Damon. He never failed to stop my breathing with how handsome he was. He wore a tight grey shirt that clung to his muscular chest. He took long strides towards me and I blushed when the thought of him sucking Isabelle's venom out of my neck came to my mind.

What is going on with me that the thought of vampires biting me is turning me on?

"Get ready," he didn't greet me and instead jumped straight to the point," today you leave with me."

"Where are we going," I asked.

"You were right, the other day when you accused me of rescuing that man," his eyes shifted and he swallowed," you were right, but father has sent me to retrieve him, and you are coming with me."

"What are you gonna do?" I asked already knowing the answer," When you find him, are you going to hurt him."

"That is none of your business."

"You are making me come with you, I have the right to know."

"My punishment was to find the jester and bring him back to father, it is up to him to decide what will happen next."

"You know he's just going to kill him," I pressed," he wouldn't spare his life, he won't let him live."

"Get ready," he demanded," We leave as soon as the sunsets."

I took my time to change out of the clothes I was into some dark jeans and a sweater making sure to hide the scar. A guard led the way to the same garden where the ritual was held. I took a couple of minutes to appreciate the fresh air and the fall breeze. The moon was nowhere to be seen and the sky was almost pitch black, the only thing lighting the way was the outdoor chandeliers. Down the cobblestone pathway was a black Range Rover SUV. As I neared the car, the guard stepped ahead of me to open the door revealing Damon waiting inside. I got into the back and silently put on my seat belt. When I heard Damon chuckle, I looked at him in confusion.

"What?" I asked.

"You're in a car with vampires," he let out, a slight smile that almost brought joy to my chest playing at the tips of his mouth.

"So?" I muttered, confused.

"You still felt the need to put on your seatbelt?"

"Is it not a law in The Underworld to wear your seatbelt?" I asked half sarcastic and half genuine.

Damon stared at me for a second before finally saying," fair point."

He gestured to the driver and that was his cue to begin.

We exited the garden and drove through the woods past thousands of trees. The ride was mostly silent and I was surprised to see that Damon was occupied by this cell phone for the entire ride. It was about thirty minutes later that we finally exited the forest and entered what I can only assume was the village. It was a small town, with shops and tiny homes and people.

Humans.

I fought the urge to roll down my window and watched shop owners prepare to close up their stores and small children walking home with their parents. People quickly got out the way once they saw the car and I wondered if, besides the car I was in if there was another. I saw horses on carriages and realized these people don't have other means of transport because they didn't need it. They looked like normal people. Besides the scruffy clothes, they looked no different than people back home.The closer we got to the villagers the more of them I could see and it was almost impossible not to notice that they all had bite marks No one was exempt, the mark of the Cold Ones was on mothers, fathers and elderly.

Why don't they escape? Why don't they find a way and run-

"They don't know," I jumped up at the sudden sound of Damon's voice and turned to face him to realize he had been watching me.

"What?" I mumbled.

"You're wondering why the villagers stay instead of escaping somewhere else where they wouldn't have to live out the entirety of their lives serving us, the answer is they don't know that there is anything else."

"I don't understand," my mouth was suddenly dry," how?"

Damon looked almost ashamed when he said," we have guards that enforce each household breeds a certain amount to keep the population steady. Each child bred becomes a native who will live out their eternity serving us, as food, so we don't go extinct. It's either this, or we release our kind into your world where hell would break loose."

"That's horrible," I whispered, "these people, they are humans, they deserve better."

"We don't kill them. Most die on their own after a certain age. We also don't harm them, we just..." When he paused I caught his eyes and waited for his answer.

"We...need them. Just like they need us, we supply their stores, their food-

"They don't even have electricity! They are living in a world that died hundreds of years ago."

Damon went silent. I wondered how long I would have with this side of him before the angry and aggressive side came back. I shook my head in disbelief and fought the urge to cry out. Silently, I turned my head back to observe as everyone began to run indoors and lock their doors.

"Some of them," began Damon, hesitatingly," some of them, they like it."

"They like it?" I asked in confusion.

"Yes," he nodded," most of them become addicted to the feeling, they enjoy it."

I thought back to when Xavier bit me and how much I had enjoyed it. I felt shivers run across the back of my neck. The feel of his fangs digging into my skin had felt almost lustful and I would be lying to myself if I said I did not want him to bite me again.

I glanced at Damon who was now staring outside the window. I studied his perfect mouth and daydreamed the feel of his soft lips on my neck again, grazing me lightly with his teeth and finally, biting. I pictured him doing to me what Xavier did and almost shuddered.

The car finally came to a halt and we stopped in front of a small stone home. Garlic hung outside the doorway like chandeliers and I wondered what their purpose was.

I opened my mouth to ask Damon but he was already out of the car. I opened my door to follow but he turned to face me and yelled," Get in the car."

"Where are you going!"

"Get back in the car Holly," he demanded. I did as instructed and watched two guards who were trailing us knock on the stone walls.

Seconds later, the door was opened by an elderly woman. She took one look at the guards and Damon and fell to her knees.

"No please," she began to cry out. I opened my car door ready to run out and help her but the sight of the guards with extended fangs sent chills up my spine. Her sobbing only got louder and I watched in horror as the guards pushed past her and went inside. Damon stood to the side, completely unaffected by the screaming women, occupied on his phone.
At that moment I decided I hated him. I hated him for being so hot and cold. I hated him for not deciding whether he's the good or the bad guy and I hated him because part of me knew if he could he would.

A couple of minutes passed by and I watched as the guards dragged out the same man I saw who was dressed in the odd costume. He was dressed in regular clothing now and that same terrified look took over his face.

I pushed the car door further open and jumped out, not being able to take it anymore.

"Damon please!" I screamed out," Let him go!"

The lady screamed out louder watching the guards shove the man into their car and lock the doors shut.

"Please my son!" she cried out.

"Get in the car!" Damon snapped and walked closer to the car.

"Damon, listen to me. I know you don't want to do this, please-"

He brought his face to mines, fangs extended and golden eyes blaring," Unless you want me to dump you here and use you as a feeding fountain, you'll get in the car."

Terrified that the gentle Damon was now gone, I silently obeyed and got into the car.

The ride home was silent. The air felt thick and it was a struggle to breathe. The image of the old lady sobbing on her knees for her son replayed in my mind every second. The thought that a witch would soon erase all those memories was sounding better and better. Damon was silent and angry and I couldn't tell if he was upset with me or with his punishment. After all, he did rescue this man only to be ordered to retrieve him again. I wondered why he saved him in the first place if he knew that his father would only find him again. I wondered if they were going to kill the man and why.

Back at the castle, Damon stormed out of the car and ordered them to take the man to the dungeon for now. He began to walk back towards the entrance and I chased after him trying to make one last desperate attempt to save this man's life.

"Damon!" I screamed out," Damon please."

He entered the doors and into the castle completely ignoring me.

I struggled to catch up to him, losing my breath but still screaming out," Damon just listen!"

He suddenly stopped dead in his tracks and pulled me through a single door and into a small closet. I didn't realize the anger on his face until he pressed my back against a shelf lined with towels and growled in my face," Do you think I want to kill that man!"

I breathed in and out, suddenly at a loss for words. I didn't dare take my eyes off his and was suddenly aware of how close his lips were to mine.

"Damon-" I breathed out.

"I have no choice," his shouting made me flinch," I don't get to make the shots until I'm King, for now, I do whatever my father orders me to!"

I nodded.

Of course, I understood. I knew there were hundreds or maybe even thousands of lives lost at the hands of the pride of the King, but for some reason, the look of horror on that man's face haunted me and I couldn't just let him die

"I understand," I said," I just cant...I don't know how to-"

"You don't think about it."

I remained silent.

Damon's eyes suddenly trailed from my face to my neck. He lifted his fingers and outlined the fresh bite Xavier had given me. I winced in pain at the touch of the fresh wound and flinched back, staring at the ground.

"What is that?" he asked.

Suddenly I felt ashamed.

Instead, I replied with," Nothing."

"Holly did someone here do that to you," his voice had gone soft and almost gentle. My eyes began to suddenly burn with fresh tears and I switched my gaze to meet him.

"It's alright, I-"

"Whoever did this to you broke the law of The Underworld, I need to know who did thi-"

"You don't understand, it's fine. I-I let him."

I watched his face turn into confusion," Seth?"

I shook my head no and felt a tear escape down my face. As if doing so without thinking, Damon's hand went up to wipe the tear. He looked confused by his own action but pressed," who?"

"Xavier? What did he promise you?"

"He said he knew a witch, is it true?" I mumbled.

Damon nodded, his beautiful eyes glinting with sadness," It's true."

"Will she help me?"' I felt slight relief to know at least he hadn't lied about that part.

Damon remained silent for a few seconds merely staring into my eyes before whispering," I don't know."

We stayed quiet for a couple of minutes, with his hands at either side of my face, both staring at each other.
I fought the sudden crucial urge to kiss him. It was almost impossible not to lean in and steal a peck. I knew if I were to kiss his soft lips I would never stop.

His eyes trailed down to my lips and I wondered if he thought the same thing. Damon suddenly brought his hands down from the wall and stormed out of the room, leaving me with the mystery of my thoughts.

What the hell what that?

Read the full book + gain access to my other work on Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/bynadine

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 11.7K 39
Emma Glen is human living in a world where vampires rule them and treat them as pets. She is sold one day to a very handsome vampire named Channing...
53K 1.2K 11
Holly is your average highschool student. That is, until one night she is partying with her friends in the woods and they recive a little suprise. No...
36.8K 1K 16
What if Jacob had imprinted on Bella? What if she'd chosen him, not Edward? What if Edward changed her to a vampire and she still wanted to love him...
1.4K 238 36
"You can't go through this and she can't come out of it. " Vampire told me and I snapped back to punch him again. "Get her out. NOW." I yelled. He wa...