Armored Core VI: Fires of Rub...

By IcetheHedgehog06

In a future where humanity has developed an interstellar civilization. On the frontier planet of Rubicon 3, a... More

Author's Note
To...
Prologue
Chapter 1: Illegal Entry
Chapter 2: STRIDER
Chapter 3: Field Trip
Chapter 4: Operation: Wallclimber
Chapter 5: Contact
Chapter 6: Welcome, Tourist
Chapter 7: OBSIDIAN WING
Chapter 8: Hope
Chapter 9: Walking Advertisement
Chapter 10: Request From A Friend
Chapter 11: Beyond Scorched Skies
Chapter 12: Slight Change Of Tactics
Chapter 13: More Than A Weapon
Chapter 14: Nightmare Loop
Chapter 15: PCA's 'Institutional Backup'
Chapter 16: NIGHTFALL
Chapter 17: Brute's Demise and a Lethal Request
Chapter 18: The Ice Worm
Chapter 19: Fall of HEAD BRINGER
Chapter 20: Ambushing the Vespers
Chapter 22: Change, But Without Purpose
Chapter 23: Coral Convergence
Chapter 24: Escape
Chapter 25: Taking the Xylem
Chapter 26: End of the Tour
Chapter 27: Block Drive Takedown
Chapter 28: The Freelancer Who Had It All
Chapter 29: Our Shared Dream
Chapter 30: You Found A Friend
Chapter 31: Orphans
Chapter 32: 'Normal'
Chapter 33: Moving On
Epilogue

Chapter 21: Intercepting the Redguns

68 6 1
By IcetheHedgehog06

Raven was resting until a notification had suddenly come up. It was from Walter, another briefing, another mission.

"Got a job for you, 621." Walter informed, "This one's from the Arquebus Group."

The logo from the corporate company then came up.

"This request comes from our affiliate, Schneider." V.VIII Pater's voice came, "First, I'll brief you on the state of conflict between Arquebus and Balam at Watchpoint Alpha. The Watchpoint's defense inflicted heavy losses on Balam's initial wave, with many deserting. More recently, they've engaged with our forces only to continue their downward spiral. Despite this, the Redguns' commander, G1 Michigan, remains alive and well... with his AC LIGER TAIL being readied to lead the surviving Balam MT force as we speak. We want you to intercept them, to hammer the final nail into Balam's coffin. Before you decline, we have V.IV lined up to take over."

Then came a quick look at the familiar assembly of STEEL HAZE along with the wolf logo before it was replaced by the Arquebus Corp's logo.

"This concludes the briefing. Awaiting your favorable reply." Pater finished.

Raven and Ayre looked at one another, or as best from Raven's point of view anyway. Raven nodded and then felt the jolt of his AC being pulled up.

"...Just get the job done." Walter ordered, "There's nothing more for me to say."

Raven and Ayre thought about it, "to hammer the final nail into Balam's coffin." This could mean that they'll be able to finally take down the Balam once the Redguns are defeated. This'll be at least one corporation down.

"Looks like our luck may be changing." said Ayre.

<<Thought it already was.>>

"I know. Just... this is a big step."

...

"Main System: Activating Combat Mode." said the COM system.

"Commence mission." ordered Walter.

"Enemy readings, paratroops, incoming!" Ayre wanted.

Raven then started to crack every bone he found possible. He then set up his boosters into full assault mode. He then came in charging at complete full speed. He came swooping right in.

<<Let's do this.>>

...

G1 Michigan watched in a mixture of shock and amazement as he'd see the independent mercenary already taking down some of his MT warriors in a matter of minutes.

"Attack! Get in there, you maggots!" he shouted in command.

"Looks like Arquebus sent some clown on a suicide mission." a Balam MT squad member taunted, "Cute, real cute."

Even though Raven was, once again, their enemy, he had respect for the guy. Dude damn well deserved it.

"The only clown around here is you, Kennebec!" he shouted, "You're talking about the Wallclumber. The Wormkiller. The only G13 who's managed to live this long! Until the LIGER TAIL deploys, the odds are not in your favor. You better keep the emergency eject primed!"

Oh boy, would that idiot, pesky good-for-nothing be sorry. He'd just need to equip his AC with the DF-GA-08 HU-BEN Gatling Gun, DF-ET-09 TAI-YANG-SHOU Explosive Thrower, BML-G2/P17SPL-16 Split Missile Launcher, and the loveable SONGBIRDS Grenade Cannon.

And then, its so-long time.

...

"Second wave incoming!" Ayre warned.

<<Just getting started!>>

Raven then looked up, seeing the rays of missiles coming right down. They haven't even touched him just yet. He'd be surprised it they do.

"Yeah. I heard that merc took down G5 Iguazu." said someone.

"Iguazu...?" another asked, then recalled, "Oh yeah, the deserter who pissed his pants and ran."

A missile barely scraped OBSIDIAN WING's shoulder. Raven rolled his eyes in arrogance. About time they at least touched him.

"Albany! I'd forgotten we still kept you around!" Michigan boomed, sounding annoyed, "Iguazu's worth a hundred of you! Which means, Albany, the merc is worth twenty of him! You're doing nothing productive... Why don't you do the math for us?!"

"The answer's 2,000 Albanys, sir!" shouted someone else.

"Shut your stink hole and start shooting!"

"Uhhh... Sir, yessir!"

Well, that may have been the most awkward conversation both Raven and Ayre have heard from the Redguns so far. Then again, they're always weird. On a constant rate.

"Third wave incoming, Raven!" shouted Ayre in warning.

<<Thanks, partner!>>

He then used a few missiles on a few MTs, taking them down rather quickly. He then charged up his laser blade and swung, taking down the rest of the group.

"Geronimo!" a guy shouted in excitement.

Another MT pilot let out some kind of war cry. Raven and Ayre looked to each other, as best they could, almost wanting to laugh. These guys just have so much pride.

"LIGER TAIL's gonna be good to go soon!" said Michigan, "Keep the target busy!"

Raven then put a bazooka blast into one of the helicopters.

"Ah, c'mon, sir." someone complained, "You gonna ride out to steal all the credits? You got plenty of medals already, sir. We want some of the glory too!"

"Fine. Whoever takes down G13 gets to take home a Balam Cobalt Medal!" he promised sarcastically, "...They're good, you know, they go real far when you throw 'em."

Raven's AC suddenly got staggered. About time. Why do the enemy take so long sometimes just to stun him for merely a few seconds? It gets old sometimes.

"All LIGER TAIL checks complete, sir!" said a squad member on the coms, "Don't push the old girl too hard, eh?"

"Finally! I damn near missed the show, Potomac!" Michigan complained, "Listen up, maggots! This field trip is now a hunting expedition! You can go home now... or follow me if you got a death wish!"

"Ready to die, sir!"

"AC, LIGER TAIL incoming!" Ayre warned, "It's G1 Michigan!"

<<Let's do this!>>

Raven then split up his missiles and then launched them at several MTs.

"Go go go! Follow Michigan!" shouted a squad member.

"Give the LIGER TAIL some cover!" shouted another.

Another war cry erupted from a third member's mouth. Raven quickly engaged his laser blade and took out a few groups as he looked over his shoulder, seeing a few others.

"Time to finish the job, 621." Walter ordered, "Don't let them overwhelm you. Shake off the pressure."

And with that, Raven was able to stagger LIGER TAIL and then assault boosted right form him.

"Those of you who withdrew, keep your lousy asses low!" Michigan commanded, "You're gonna need more training.... Put that in your diaries!"

Raven then engaged his assault armor and then created a massive electrical explosion. He was almost there. Just needed some more and Michigan will be staggered once again.

"Sir...!" a guy pitied, "I'm a useless maggot, sir!"

"If it isn't Osawe, our resident mathematician!" said Michigan, "Go multiply your rifle training and see if you can learn to do something useful!"

Raven heard the COM system warn him that his left shoulder ammunition was now currently at like 30%. LIGER TAIL fired a few missiles while OBSIDIAN WING simply dodged them with a few quickboosts. He then fired off a few bazooka blasts, then hearing that his right hand ammunition was now down to 50%.

Michigan then unleashed his own assault armor, Raven barely dodged it, feeling a few sparks crackle against his AC. He then assaulted boosted up towards him and boost kicked him, staggering him, giving the mercenary enough time to use his laser blade at full charge, causing a few large gashes on the AC's stomach and leg.

"How can one merc do this alone?!" a Balam MT pilot panicked.

"Guess HQ needs your help with the math, Osawa!" said Michagan.

"Fifth wave!" Ayre warned once again, "They're surging us!"

OBSIDIAN WING threw a few more missiles at Michigan, staggering LIGER TAIL. Raven took advantage of the stunning and slashed at the others with his charged up laser blade and shot Michigan with a missile, landing a direct hit on one of the legs, shooting off one of the four feet.

"AP at 50%." the COM system warned.

Raven took advantage of time and burned one of his repair kits. He saw a few more missiles coming his way.

He quickboosted right past the small opening, causing them to crash into one another, he then assault boost-kicked Michigan down, staggering him once again. He then used a single swing to finally slice straight through LIGER TAIL's legs, cutting all four of them off, and then through the chest.

"Maggots! Do you read me?" he grunted in question, "You can tell this to posterity: Mean old Michigan died of a bad fall!"

Ayre looked over to Raven, who acknowledged her stare and she quickly hacked into Michigan's AC's ejector and initiated it, causing him to escape. Whether he'll live or not, they didn't know. But, at least they at least tried.

"AC, LIGER TAIL destroyed," she informed Raven, "G1 Michigan down. Mission accomplished."

"...It's over." Walter sighed, "Good holding out, 621. Our work here is done."

...

Raven wiped the sweat from his forehead once he felt the familiar jolt down of his AC being loaded onto the hangar. Walter's voice then came right back in.

"Didn't think I'd see the end of the Redguns..." he said, "...You did your job, 621. Michigan knw the score. Balam's withdrawn from Rubicon. The politicians will be fighting their war now. Where there's Coral, there's blood. That's how it's always been, 621."

The call ended and Raven saw his vision start to turn crimson red on the outlines.

"Raven..." said Ayre slowly, "Are we... doomed to spark conflict wherever we go?"

<<I don't know. I'm a mercenary. I could easily just switch sides. It doesn't exactly take too much effort.>>

"Hmm... well, I just hope that you're... still with me..."

<<I am, Ayre. That is a promise.>>

Ayre smiled and then brought him into an embrace.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for Reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123 2 20
Many galaxies away on a frigid planet called Spxtro, humans are nearly extinct. It is up to the survivors of The Great Combustion to build a new soci...
9.5K 74 9
First mission was a success, but that doesn't mean our job is over. This time, the Ruby Knight had decided to stay behind and let his brother take ca...
U.N.E. By Captius

Science Fiction

612K 17.4K 28
The year is 2043 and the nations of the world find themselves almost powerless against an unknown enemy known as Unknown Entities, or U.N.E.'s. The W...
14.3K 1.8K 160
Humanity has an inherent tendency toward self-destruction. Drowning in hate and hedonism, the worlds of humanity have not seen a true peace since t...