Peace

By ItsElCato

Tatsumaki survived a gruesome death battle. Despite being victorious, she was gravely wounded. And is being c... More

God's Hand
Hospitality
Please, Stay
Her Nature Part 1

Truth Will set you Free

416 13 23
By ItsElCato

Author's Notes: VERY IMPORTANT NEWS, PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTES.

Hi! El Cato here, and as promised, chapter 4!

So hopefully you read the AN at the top, for the sake of not disrupting the flow of the story, the important news will be in the author's notes at the end of the chapter. Share with me what you thought of this chapter.

Special Thanks to: the SaiTatsu Subreddit! and ALL OF YOU LOVELY READERS. I love reading and replying to your comments and reviews!

Thank you for reading!

Saitama x Tatsumaki

Peace

- Chapter 4 -

Truth Will set you Free

Under Master Saitama's tutelage, Genos had prepared himself for every possible scenario.

When he fought against Carnage Kabuto, it became clear that he needed an upgrade to his strength and power output.

There were some things he couldn't do back then; the meteor was a prime example of his limitations.

When he faced the Deep Sea King, he needed his armor to be resistant to corrosive attacks. It was far from perfect, but his metal body was resistant to most toxic weapons and artillery.

Defeating G4 had granted him a new set of abilities.

Higher forms of power, and an ability that allowed him to fend off exceedingly powerful Dragon-level threats.

He used those to assist the dwarf from getting eviscerated. Despite his disdain for her, it was something Saitama-sensei would have done without skipping a beat.

He had gained the plague's respect, and he would have maintained the same courtesy for her as well...

If she didn't also have an interest in his sensei.

He had tried to warn her that interrupting Saitama sensei's precious time and patience would bore her no fruits, and would be as constructive as watching paint dry.

She did not care, and that irked him.

So he tried to 'suggest' to her that if need be, he would fight her in his place so that she wouldn't waste his master's time with her boorish and unfruitful requests.

She took that as a threat and a challenge (it was), and she was ready to fight him off as well.

The dwarf was lucky that King had arrived just in time to save her from being scorched.

Having had a recent upgrade that allowed him to pick off Dragon-level threats with ease would surely close the gap between their power levels...Surely.

... Right?

Regardless. Out of everything that Master Saitama had prepared him for, the hero's intuition that he had instilled in his heart. The path to justice.

So when he opened the door to Saitama sensei's apartment.

The absolute. LAST THING. He would have ever expected to see the blight that was pestering Saitama sensei for three weeks straight casually playing a platform fighting game with him. And judging by his expression... he was losing badly.

"HOW THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT?!" his yelling felt more like a cry of confusion. "There is no way you've never played video games ever! This game has a learning curve!"

"PFFT– HAHAHAHA!"

GAH! Impossible!

Genos noticed immediately that she was wearing his favorite 'Oppai' hoodie. One of the few articles of clothing that survived the destruction of City Z.

And she was donning it.

He remembered his time in middle school, before the atrocities that the Mad Cyborg did to him, his family, and his hometown...

If a girl asks you to borrow your jacket, she more than likely really likes you... romantically.

That must mean that the dwarf managed to convince his master to lend her his clothes despite always wearing her black dress.

She didn't need to do that!

And Saitama-sensei willingly lent it to her!?

Thousands of possible scenarios were brewing in his mind. Rocketing at thousands of words per picosecond. This scenario always seemed like an impossibility. Not that Master Saitama wasn't attractive, he certainly was!

He remembered his sensei confiding with him about the potential concepts of dating women. And that he had always wanted to know what it felt like.

He never really thought that Saitama-sensei needed that kind of distraction in his life. He was already the strongest person in this world, so something as inconsequential as 'dating' seemed so beneath him.

But here she was; this plague, wearing his master's favorite hoodie. Eating popcorn, playing his video games (well, the console was King's) – and having fun... That demon wench–

Having fun?

...

He reflected and took a more analytical gaze towards both their current countenance.

Seeing Saitama sensei so lively while playing a video game wasn't new. He had partook in some of that activity whenever King decided to join them. He wasn't particularly good at it (however still better than his sensei). But he always noticed that Master started to feel drained. Exhausted after just a few games. But his persistent need to topple King in virtual combat was admirable, though it seemed to bore no fruit no matter how much practice he did.

He had already been stationary for a solid ten minutes, watching them brawl it out. He had set down bags of groceries that he had purchased for himself and sensei. He had gotten everything at such a good price and he planned to show off what he saved using sensei's methods.

As he put his attention on the screen and watched the dwarf completely dominate his master. Saitama was playing his signature blue racer with the falcon helmet and fire-based physical attacks... while Tatsumaki was playing the short red stubby plumber.

Fitting. For both.

No matter how close Master tried to breach the gap, Tatsumaki always found a way to dodge right at the nick of time – or perfectly parry a move that would have spelled the end.

Their current win rate was 4–0 in Tatsumaki's favor... and probably more, he didn't know when they started playing.

He surmised that she must be a professional player like King and is hiding... or she must be cheating.

Regardless of the facts.

Saitama was legitimately having fun, yes he was still raging but it was far more controlled. And when he lost, he always ended off with a heartfelt laugh. He wasn't used to those. And seeing his master so energetic was honestly such a wholesome sight.

Destiny arrived, and Saitama eventually lost again. Making the score 5–0 (or more). He reeled back and rested his back on the wooden wall, while Tatsumaki celebrated another victory.

And the way he would smile at her little victory dance... It was an odd sight, yet sunny.

"Hah," Saitama let out a sigh. "I just don't get it... how are you that good?"

"Natural talent Baldy, should have placed bets... too bad we didn't."

"Oh yeah," Saitama said in faust disappointment. "Too bad we didn't." he rolled his eyes.

Genos heard the midget stifle a giggle, something he'd never heard of ever (and wished he didn't). He watched her grab his phone and turn on the camera app.

"Gonna gloat my victory over you, 11-2," she announced, and he rolled his eyes. "Say cheese Baldy," she said as she pressed her cheek on his.

"Cheese," he announced with a weak soft smile, a genuine one. (But he was probably exhausted of losing.)

When she turned around to face him, she jumped, completely startled by his arrival. "Demon Cyborg?" her face then shifted to that of irritability. "What are you doing here?"

He curled his eyebrow. "I am a disciple of Master Saitama, Tornado of Terror." He said that last part with a hint of venom. "What are you doing here?"

Before she could speak up, Saitama flung out an arm and waved it. "Don't sweat it Genos. She's a guest."

Genos' serious expression softened, and he bowed. "Very well."

"May I ask why she's here sensei?"

He turned his gaze towards Tatsumaki, and she returned it.

She huffed and turned away from Genos. "I came to test your 'sensei,' he did good."

Genos quirked his eyebrow, "I see."

An awkward silence followed.

Watching Genos make that irritating serious face at her was pissing her off to high hell. And the inexpressiveness of Saitama wasn't any better. She felt like she had just inserted herself in a lover's quarrel. Or butt in a potential love story, and she's the rival. Preposterous stuff Fubuki used to read.

...

Was Saitama...?

No... couldn't be. Or maybe...?

"Oh!" he looked surprised and pleased. "Did you buy groceries?"

Genos nodded with a smirk, "Yes master. And I also got them at a decently low price. Everything except for the dairy was 35% off."

"OH! That is a good deal!" he hummed in delight. "Wished it was closer to 40% but you did very well Genos."

"Thank you, Master!"

She rolled her eyes but otherwise mused at their idiotic and simplistic interest in savings.

She guessed it made sense for the Baldy who was always broke, but she would've assumed the Demon Cyborg didn't need to penny pinch with his S-Class salary. He could buy hundreds of people's groceries and he'd still have enough for the end of the month.

She tried to offer her help in sorting. But both the Demon Cyborg and Saitama grabbed everything while talking nonsense.

It didn't take more than thirty seconds for them to finish.

"Man, thanks a lot Genos... I was running out. You're a lifesaver. Gonna pay you back for that."

Genos shook his head, "There is no need master. Your guidance is suitable compensation on its own!"

She watched his expression carefully. It was a mixture of embarrassment and anguish.

"I'll think of something. Appreciate it," he weakly stated.

"Going to the restroom real quick," Saitama announced. "Won't take long."

They both watched him step into the door. Closed.

She peaked at the Demon Cyborg. He did the same.

Their fierce gazes locked like he was challenging her.

Her ire was growing. And she had an inkling of what he was thinking.

"So..." he started. "Care to explain two things?"

She looked at him suspiciously.

"Sure," she shrugged.

"One: Why are you wearing Master's favorite hoodie? Are you two dating now? Are you infatuated with him? How did you manage to convince him to hand it over? Explain this instant."

She was completely stunned; her jaw was hanging down comically. And his incessant questioning had her completely overwhelmed.

So she wasn't the only one who thought that sharing clothes was romantic. She sort of guessed from her years in junior and high school years, but that could have just been exclusive to her school. Hearing someone else point that out was ABSOLUTELY embarrassing! And she had no counter to it.

Her face was heating up rapidly. Trying to ease the insinuation that they're dating or that she likes him.

Even through these overwhelming emotions, she found it ironic that she struggled to quip back. Had Demon Cyborg brought up any other person she would have just laughed it off.

But these two days with the damn Baldy was like being on cloud nine.

And with his pleas, she couldn't say no.

"You..."

It's a good thing that it only applied to the damn baldy.

"ABSOLUTE MORON!" She wanted so desperately to turn him into scrap metal, or at the very least throw the lamp at him.

"NO! I'm not infatuated with him! And it's not any of your business!" She yelled.

"Hey, is everything alright?"

She turned when she heard Saitama's voice and huffed audibly, loud enough for him to hear. "Your stupid robot asked something incredibly stupid!"

"Oh... um, ok... don't break anything."

She huffed haughtily, "I won't if he stops asking dumb questions."

"Okay... um, Genos don't ask dumb questions."

"I assure you master, these questions are of vital importance," he affirmed. She returned to give the robot a death stare, with her teeth grinding in embarrassment and frustration.

She heard him hum through the door, "Okay, just don't break anything. I'll be right out."

The dumb robot replied with a simple 'understood,' while returning his piercing gaze. "Hmph!"

"My second question: would your current attire be influenced by your battle Subdivision Salvation Ave 43?"

Her eyes widened.

"Your heartbeat spiked by 15%. I guess my assumption is correct?"

"Tch," she returned him a fierce gaze. "My clothes got ruined. He was there, and offered his as a substitute."

"And once he gave you an adequate replacement for your dress, why didn't you go home?"

She felt her heart start racing, her face heating up, and her palms sweating.

How could she ever admit that she stayed because he asked?

'Please, stay...'

She gulped.

His soft and worried eyes trailed to her injuries.

...

She mentally shook her head.

She couldn't, and wouldn't admit it.

...Not to the Baldy... And especially not to his annoying tin can fanboy!

She growled, "Jeez! You sound like a jealous schoolgirl! What is he, your boyfriend?"

"Gah!" That managed to disturb him.

She smirked victoriously.

"Nonsense! Master Saitama is not interested in same-sex relationships!"

Huh, good to know.

"Then stop acting like you're his wife!"

This time he growled, but shook his head. "Answer my question."

Damn, she thought she fooled him.

"Hmph! My house got banged up, he was there... so he offered me a place to stay while it gets reconstructed."

"It's already reconstructed."

"What–" she was perplexed, and disturbed. "How the hell do you know?"

"Blizzard of Hell called me, asking about your whereabouts and if you were with us. I told her no because I didn't believe you were capable. She also told me that the association repaired your house about an hour ago. I was busy elsewhere and Saitama sensei wasn't answering my calls."

Genos watched as her defensive demeanor softened at the mention of her sister.

"Yeah... I see," she hummed. "So you know about the battle?"

He nodded, "it's all over the news. Controversy over your destructive capabilities. Politics over you, the usual whenever you're brought up."

She huffed. "Don't care about that."

'Yet, with all the destruction, the first thing you did was save all those people.'

A smile curled up her lips.

'You're definitely a great hero. I don't think I could've done any better.'

"Doesn't matter what they think. What matters is the lives I saved."

Genos' eyes widened. "That sounds like..."

"Something he would say," she finished. She looked back at the restroom door.

There was a pause, but the semi-hostility that Genos was emitting was gone.

"He's good, you know?" she continued. She didn't bother to look back at him, she knew he was listening. "I still remember the first thing I said to him," she cringed. "Getting so close to the S-Class, trying to rank up..." she sighed.

"He's strong, and he was in C-Class when he was at the tower right?"

"B-Class, he was promoted before it happened."

"Yeah," she waved it off. "Same difference."

Her smile returned, "Glad I was wrong."

She heard him let out a small gasp. "We talked all night, and all day today. He's surprisingly chatty."

He hummed, "Yes. Master can be quite extroverted when something draws his attention..." She simply nodded.

"Miss Tatsumaki," he called, and she finally turned to face him.

"I was under the impression that you hated master deeply. Seeing that every chance you get you would make fun of his bald head, his stature, his looks, his position, his rank, personality, love live, se–"

"Okay, I get it! We didn't have the best first impression!" she said loudly.

She let out an audible 'tsk'. "He changed my mind, that's all." She sighed. "Like I said, we talked. And he showed that he's a great hero."

"Showed," he repeated.

Oh, "I mean..."

"I see now," Genos lifted his robotic arm and cupped his chin. "So Saitama sensei defeated the monster you were fighting, and you watched his greatness unfold."

Uhhhh... "Sure, let's go with that." A comical sweat drop dripped down her cheek. She didn't like his insinuation that he was stronger, but she also wanted to end the conversation quickly.

She closed her eyes and reflected on the day before.

His dumb jokes, his dumb smile, him being dumb (always).

The way he caressed her hair, listening to her rants and her story. She'd never thought she'd share it with anyone. She was told he was a bad listener, according to Fubuki... but he wasn't, at least he wasn't with her.

The way he held her in his arms... when he became a shoulder for her to cry on, god that was embarrassing.

But she needed that.

"Hey tin can," she called out to the cyborg who was also in his train of thought. "I never really thanked you for saving me did I?"

"No, you haven't. And you don't need to. It is what Saitama sensei would have done; I strive to emulate him to the best of my ability."

She scoffed. "Fanboy." She mused.

"At least you chose someone good," she said, interrupting his probable quip.

"So, did you learn all of this heroism for him?"

He didn't reply immediately, preferring to look at the ground.

"I never truly strived to be a hero," he admitted. "My goal was to find a certain someone and destroy them. Becoming a hero was a side effect of being Master's disciple." He raised his robotic arm and clenched it. "My goal is still to find that monster and kill him."

She watched his eyes sharpen. "No matter the cost."

She cringed.

'Is this what Saitama was referring to?'

The hatred in his eyes. It reminded him of her.

And she hated it.

'Tatsumaki.'

Her eyes widened; she did her best to not clutch her head. But the headache was unbearable.

'You will never find peace.'

She gnashed her teeth and bared the pressure, letting out a deep sigh.

"Thank you Genos. For saving me. You learned from the best."

Genos' eyes widened. For the first time since they spoke, she saw his eyes turn misty.

He smiled. "I still have a long way to go to be like Master."

She chuckled, "You'll make it." She turned back to where Saitama was still at. "He's good."

He was too good. Maybe it was still those raw emotions she was feeling... but she was confident in what she saw. She could see the real from the frauds. He was the real deal.

"I see now..." she heard his voice trail off.

When she turned to him, her eyes frowned and furrowed at his knowing gaze. He bowed.

"Thank you for believing in Master Saitama. Your support is invaluable."

"Huh?" she knew what she heard. And hearing his tone, it was anything but platonic. "Don't get the wrong idea–"

Her rant was interrupted when she heard the toilet flush, and a few seconds later – out came Saitama with his hands wet.

He then picked up a large gray plastic container. "Hey sorry I took so long. I'm gonna step out for a bit and wash these clothes." He turned to her, "I don't have any extra clothes on me, and I don't want you to sleep with the same jacket."

"Master, allow me." He motioned. "I have spare change, and it would be much more efficient going to the laundromat than forcefully drying clothes with super speed."

Pfft– No way this cheapskate would rather run around to dry his clothes.

"Yeah... I guess you're right. That would unironically take me the rest of the day to do. You sure you don't want me to pay you back?"

Sigh. Of course, this idiot would try super speed to dry his clothes off. Funny to hear, funnier knowing he actually tried it or thought about it, but otherwise, it was unsurprising.

Genos shook his head, "it's of no consequence, master." He then stepped forward and grabbed the container with all of Saitama's dirty clothes in it.

He walked towards the door, but before he could leave – he turned around and stared into Tatsumaki's eyes.

"Miss Tatsumaki," He called.

She didn't reply but she fixed her gaze at him. "I thought your visits would have been a detriment to Saitama sensei's time..."

She felt a vein bulge in her temple.

"But it seems that I was incorrect..." he trailed off, staring at Saitama who didn't have any discernable features on his face. "I am in support of your future endeavors."

...

Tch!

"May it work out," he bowed and extended wires out of his body to open the door.

She didn't even get to say anything as he left the apartment. Stunned once again by the insinuation. This time he was giving her his blessing. Stupid kid! He's 19! She's 28! What could he possibly know!? And the Baldy is 25! He doesn't need any permission to date, or be gatekept!

Argh!

She swore the embarrassment was going to kill her one of these days. She had never felt this way ever before, and having this emotion thrust into her was alien and humiliating.

She was being treated like a stupid schoolgirl with a crush!

... at least that's the best analogy she could compare it to. She's never felt this way, ever. And she didn't have a full grasp on what that meant or looked like.

"You good Tats? Your face is red."

She touched her cheeks, and sure enough - she was blushing. "I'm fine Baldy."

He hummed, "So what's this about endeavors and stuff? And what were you two arguing about?"

She huffed, "You're nosey." He simply shrugged.

"He said some dumb things and huge insinuations. Nothing really important." She crossed her arms. "But he's got a good teacher, you taught him well. He's a bit monotone... like you. But he's got the hero's intuition. Like you."

"Good teacher you say..."

When she turned to see his reaction, she didn't expect to see him so despondent.

"You good?"

His expression to that of slight surprise, but it quickly subsided. He jerked his head back and looked away. He let out a big sigh.

"I'm... no... I'm letting him down," he confided.

She raised an eyebrow, though she didn't say anything, and waited for him to continue.

And that he did. "Ever since I saved his life and became my disciple... I've done nothing but give him half-assed advice that anyone could have given him. He treats everything I say and do as gospel."

He then looked down to meet her eyes. The softness in her emerald eyes had him staring for more than he was willing to admit, but it was hard to look away.

"He always finds a way to turn even the dumbest or simplest of things I say into an essay, a life lesson." His downcasted look felt wrong to her.

Every instance since he saved her was him smiling at their banter or his sympathies. Smiles, grins or smirks. His jokes would alleviate tension, and his warm persona made it hard for her to get mad at. Yeah sometimes it was at her expense or his, but it was always to invoke such a positive experience for her.

"What's he after exactly?" she asked.

"Physical strength akin to mine."

She paused, "That's..."

"Impossible? Yeah, he's a cyborg..." his eyes softened once again, and a directionless gaze fell upon him. "What he's asking for is something I can't teach him or give him."

This... this was disheartening.

And honestly... she could relate.

She was never able to train Fubuki properly. She was just not on her level. Even now, she is as strong as she was when she was thirteen years old.

Her inability to make her sister stronger had made them drift apart. Watching her unfold a syndicate to overthrow her was the biggest form of disrespect and betrayal to her. It hurt her to see her sister try to take her down, all because she wasn't as strong as her.

She guessed that at some point, she cooled off. She wasn't going to claim that she knew everything about Fubuki... it's been a long time since they spoke, and just recently they've reconnected.

'I guess she should also thank him for that...' Her little Fubuki was not as antagonistic as she remembered. And it was all because she befriended the Baldy and Demon Cyborg by extension.

...

Their fight. She always seemed to fall back on that. The only reason she knows he exists. Or better yet, the day she met her first rival.

He fought for her sister's independence even when he didn't even see her as a friend.

She was grateful for that.

She thought that her sister's complete change was during the raid against the monster association. She grew in power that day and became a much more confident person. So when she reached out to her to save that wretched woman Psykos, as much as she wanted to punt that woman into the sun... Fubuki had something planned... and she wanted to get closer to her sister.

In hindsight, she could see that she was still a bit hesitant around her - didn't share as many details on the plan... It was why she was completely surprised to see her weak henchmen at her beck and call.

And when her fight with the Baldy concluded, Fubuki became much closer to her. It reminded her a bit of her youth, their youth. She was livelier, sillier. More energetic. Like reliving the image of their childhood, no matter how hard they both had it... they had their good memories.

Life was good, not great. But she wasn't going to complain.

So it was only right for her to extend the same courtesy.

She'd help him like he helped her. Starting with the obvious answer.

"The kid isn't dumb."

He gave her a quizzical look, with his eyebrow perked up. But otherwise stayed silent. Waiting for her to explain.

"He's a cyborg that thinks in ones and zeroes and isn't afraid to retell events as they unfold - even at the expense of other people's image. And he gets upgraded every few weeks," she listed off. "The new suit he has is not the same one he donned a month ago."

"He also has the hero's intuition..." she recalled back to the time he assisted her in taking down Psykos. "He said he helped me to emulate you... that his sacrifice was something you would do..." she paused. "I didn't know who Demon Cyborg was referring to at the time." Then she finally turned to him. "But after yesterday. Like I said, you taught him well."

By the look he was giving, he wasn't convinced. It seems like getting complimented for his accomplishments wasn't something he was used to. She honestly could say the same.

"You said that he moved in right next door to you right?" he nodded. "He used to live with you, no?"

Nodding again, "Yeah, he used to do the dishes... the cleaning... Everything actually. The chores I used to do were taken care of by him. It was nice having him around. And it made my life a lot less dull because of it," he let out a smile. She never could tell if those smiles were rare. He'd been sharing those soft smiles with her frequently. She felt blessed to see them, and seeing them also made her crack her smile.

But being shared such a privilege made her question if he smiled as often as he did for her.

Then her eyes widened at a realization.

"So... you see him as your friend?"

"... Yes." He admitted. "I do see him as a friend, my best friend, even." He furrowed his eyes.

"So... you telling him to move out was to..."

"To make him more independent of me."

She perked an eyebrow. "Really?" she mused. "Doesn't sound like the real reason to me."

He didn't reply right away, he turned around to walk towards the kitchen. But stopped before actually entering. "Yeah..."

"We had a spar about a few days ago... and I think he came to the realization that I haven't been watching his progress all that intently." his downcasted eyes returned.

"And he's right. I haven't been paying that much attention to his growth. I mean," he let out an exasperated sigh. "I know he's getting stronger. But, I have no way to gauge how strong he's gotten." he looked to his side. "None of his attacks can damage me..."

"I thought that some space away could let him see that I'm a fraud of a teacher. I mean, he teaches himself. All I do is give him half-assed explanations that he somehow finds a way to make a whole book out of. But I haven't taught him anything substantial. And time away he could have seen that, and maybe move on."

"Move on?"

He turned to her, "It's why he asked to be my disciple. To make him as strong as I am." He looked down, "but I can't. He's like ninety percent machine."

"So..." she continued. "You think that making him realize you're a terrible teacher will make him leave you?"

"... Yeah," he admitted.

Her eyes widen.

"Why would you do that to yourself?" she questioned. "You said he's your best friend. And you're a lonely guy. You'd be back to no friends."

He sighed deeply.

"I think, it's better that way," shadows covered his eyes. "It'll make things easier for me when he eventually leaves."

"Whatever I taught him, he could have learned it from some other hero. A better hero."

Her eyes widened and then replaced with fury. She flared her nostrils and marched towards him.

She hit him in the stomach. If it hurt him, she couldn't tell, but her fist definitely hurt. But the action seemed to stun him.

"Tch! Better hero!?" she punched him again. "Is that what you tell the person you just saved? Twice!?" She punched higher, to his chest.

"Even if you don't think you're a good hero, you befriended the Demon Cyborg... who saved my life in your name!" another hit. "You befriended King! Who also acknowledges your strength as well!" And again, another hit. "And you and your tin can boyfriend forever changed my sister!" And another.

She felt his hand grab hers, and she realized that she was tearing welling up. She sniffled and wiped away the bits of tears. Her hand was a bit wet. "Asshole..." her insult didn't have much bark behind it.

He simply ruffled her hair. She didn't swat his hand away... she liked the sensation.

"Sorry..."

"Tch, you better be." She huffed. "You lonely dumb bastard."

"Hey... now just a moment-"

"Zip it! I'm not done!" she sneered. "You told me that I took human connections too lightly... and you were right!"

His eyebrow quirked upward.

"Even when the Demon Cyborg saved me. I didn't appreciate his help. King's either. I was too caught up with the defeat we were almost given to us..." she took a breath. "We almost lost. And it was due to overconfidence and poor planning."

"I would have wiped the floor with the big boss. But I didn't, and couldn't until I knew the last hostage was safe."

"By then I had taken too much damage, I was assisted when I shouldn't have needed it." She grit her teeth. "And when I was knocked out, for an entire day... all I could think about was my own mortality..."

"But then, when my sister approached me... and asked for my help. A lot of the negativity washed away," her hands gripped onto his shirt. "I forgot about almost everything that happened during the raid against the monster association. Because I was finally having a conversation with my little Fubuki..."

"Years she's spent trying to usurp me. Trying to gather a gang of weaklings to beat me. The last thing I wanted my sister to feel was her powerlessness when she fights a monster she can't beat and I'm too far away to stop it." she felt tears trail down her eyes.

"Or even if I could save her in time... what about her dumb squad? They'd get eviscerated by a Demon-level threat. And she'd have to live with the guilt and horrors of being unable to save the people she was treating more like family than her own blood!"

"So when your dumbass somehow changed the lives of the tin can and my sister... our fight let me see where I was lacking!" she raised her head to look into his eyes. He showed concern, she was bawling at this point while gritting her teeth.

"So hearing you say you're no good hero is a slap to the face to the people you've changed!" Her eyes grew larger, brighter, and misty. Tears flowing down. "Got that!?"

Saitama was at a loss for words, mouth agape. Every time he tried to think of something to say, to respond to... nothing came.

He felt an odd feeling in his chest, a fiery sensation. Anxious, yet, he yearned for more of it.

For them, time slowed to a crawl. She would sniffle occasionally, from her outburst of emotions. Everything was tied back to him.

Confusion and this odd sensation of need crawled into his heart, and he felt it beat faster.

Like in the early days of his hero career, the rush of adrenaline filled him. Yet for all the energy he felt coursing through his veins - he was immobile, unable to capitalize on his feelings, his emotions.

He felt an uneasy sensation well up in his face and hands. He slowly and gently wrapped his arms around Tatsumaki.

She jerked a bit at the contact, unprepared for it. But she calmed down just as quickly.

He held her in his chest, and she snuggled further.

They stayed in that position for an embarrassingly long time. The silence was welcomed, and it helped them both calm down.

"Thank you... Tats," he whispered.

She felt her heart soar.

"Hmph..." she pressed her head closer to his chest. "Whatever Baldy. I'm just tired and hurt."

"Hnn, okay." she could feel him smirking but said nothing otherwise.

When she finally let go, she awkwardly took a step back and twirled her hair. Placing the curls behind her ear. "So..." she crossed her arms, her cheeks tinted rosy.

"So...?" he repeated.

"Your dumb disciple's a good kid," she admitted. "Guilt is eating your heart."

"... Yeah I think I know that," he said weakly.

"I'm not finished, Baldy!" he cracked open one eye, she let out a small 'hmph!', pressing her hand on his sternum.

"I think you should tell him the truth."

He looked at her with an unreadable expression, the only indication he gave her was that he raised his hand and softly grabbed her wrist.

"You think...?"

"Tch, of course." She replied, already knowing his question. "He's a cyborg that requires upgrades to get stronger. I'm assuming you haven't taught him any of your training techniques right?" he nodded. "Well then, he probably knows it as well."

His eyebrows raised in a surprise revelation.

"My guess... deep down he knows the truth..." she smiled. "Whatever his reason is for staying is his own, and only he could justify it. But I doubt he doesn't know. The kid is smart."

A conflicting expression riddled Saitama's face.

She waved off his concerns. "I think he'll understand. And it'll lift a massive weight off your shoulders."

He looked away from her, growing silent.

"You're kind of all over the place," she admitted. "You don't want him to leave because he's your best friend, but at the same time you want him to conclude that you're a quote, 'bad' teacher on his own."

She shook her head. "If there's anything I've been taught in the past month," she thought about her sister's words while fighting against those cadre dragon monsters. How she laid her entire feelings onto the table and expressed herself in the best way she could. "It's that the truth will set you free."

Haah...

He released a long sigh and fiddled her fingers with his own. She blushed at the contact but otherwise let him.

Then, the smile he gave her - the warmest she'd seen so far... made her heart skip a beat.

"Thank you again, Tatsumaki."

She tried her best not to smile and hid it behind a haughty laugh.

"No problem, just know that I don't offer my condolences for free." she gave him a rather cutesy but confident smirk.

To which, his response was to roll his eyes and scratch the back of his head. "What you got in mind?"

"How about another few rounds of your Switch game? I'd like to kick your ass again."

He let out a groan, and she responded with a victorious giggle.

She watched him stare at the TV for a few odd seconds before his eyes widened, looking like a lightbulb appeared at the top of his head.

"Hey," he called. "Wanna watch a movie instead? I think I got a few lying around?"

She placed her hands on her hips, with her eyes half-lid and a knowing smile. "Hah, really? Are you suggesting that so I won't humiliate you in a game you've played for longer than I have?" Her smile turned into a smirk.

"Yep!"

PFFT- "Ha!" she let out a boastful laugh. "At least you're honest."

"But it's also because I think you'd like this movie... I mean... I kinda like it..."

"Hoh?" she perked an eyebrow. "Then let's see it then." She raised a hand to flip her hair gracefully.

She hadn't watched a movie in a long while. Nothing interested her, and Fubuki for a long time had stopped inviting her to get-togethers. And recently she's been too preoccupied with her new addition - as much as she loathes that woman.

She tried not to get too excited, but this was also the first time she'd be watching a movie... with someone that she might...

Her eyes deadpanned when he pulled out a DVD cover.

"No... fucking way..."

"Hmm? What's wrong? Shrek's a great film!"

She bridged the edge of her nose together. "It's a kid's film." Granted, one she hasn't watched.

He only smirked. "Trust me, you'll like it! It's one of my favorites! Don't count it out just yet, trust that it's good."

She only sighed, "If you say so."

~

City A: July 28, 2023 – 7:35 PM

Tornado's changed demeanor was different from Silverfang's... different from King's... and different from Blizzard's.

Genos assumed when she first asked him about his whereabouts, she'd just be another noisy repeat of Blizzard. He didn't hate either sister, frankly, she respected the elder sister a lot more. But he also knew that she was far less mature than Blizzard herself, in both physical and mental maturity.

He desperately did not want Tornado to communicate with his master. Mainly because she would just waste his time. And also because she's hyper-tenacious, far more than Blizzard in that regard - he didn't know her... but he assumed that to be true.

And he was right, to an extent. She kept coming back, every odd day. But it was during the days that his sensei would busy himself with hero duties, patrols, and such. Or when he needed to buy certain stuff that was on sale.

Safe to say, Saitama sensei had inadvertently been dodging and escaping the Tornado of Terror without him having to step in...

And even if he tried... he knew the outcome, she'd just send him crashing into the nearest wall.

So his immediate reaction when he first saw her green hair in his master's apartment was to immediately evict her from the premises.

But seeing her wear Saitama sensei's favorite hoodie. Play video games with him, laughing while playing. Bantering, like old pals.

And Saitama sensei not only tolerating her presence but welcoming it... made him extremely confused.

Because for the longest time, he just assumed that Saitama sensei had no interest in dating or women. He knew that his master wasn't interested in men... But he never got the impression that he was interested considering how he didn't like Blizzard's advances or ploys.

Now that he thought about it, he did recall two separate occasions where he confided with him the concept of dating women.

His tone always had an air of defeat and resignation. He knew that he could never be in a relationship with anyone because of circumstances out of his control.

Was master so lonely that he allowed the Tornado of Terror of all people to keep him company? Or was it that he hadn't seen his master in three days straight while running errands and getting upgrades from Dr. Kuseno?

Nonetheless, the content expressions that he made and sent her way were completely odd, and almost unnaturally out of character. At least that seemed that way to him.

So he took the liberty of interrogating Tornado about her newfound friendship with Saitama sensei.

And to be completely honest. He found no deceit in her words.

Unlike Silverfang, King, and Blizzard... who all wanted something from his master.

He couldn't detect a single thing that she wanted from Saitama sensei.

Silverfang wanted to make him his student.

King wanted... something from his master, but he wasn't exactly sure what it was - he couldn't for the life of him figure it out no matter how much he tried. But he knew King wanted something... he'd look deeper into that at a later date.

And the Blizzard of Hell wanted to use everyone to reach her goal as a syndicate leader. She especially wanted to use Saitama sensei when she figured out his amazing strength.

He had been called by Blizzard a couple of times during her older sister's incessant need to find his master and told him that Tornado had been obsessed with Saitama.

He was not fond of Blizzard, and he expected Tornado to be the same.

But she wasn't... or at least, as of this moment; his perspective on her had been completely and utterly altered.

She could tell that Saitama sensei was an amazing hero. She wasn't gloating or hyping up his strength. She spoke to his core, to the core of heroism that Genos did his best to emulate day by day.

She thanked not only him but also Saitama sensei for instilling his teachings and beliefs in him. It made the core of his heart soar when he realized someone else other than him knew the true value of Saitama sensei.

She saw the same hero that he saw in his master. The same hero that Saitama sensei believes himself to be unworthy of being.

Tornado couldn't fool him however, her heart rate rose when she was close to him. Her cheeks flushed whenever he would say anything.

She was infatuated. And it was painfully obvious. Even he could see it. And he did not doubt that Saitama sensei could see it to... (maybe.)

Genos' inner monologue was halted as he reached for the final article of clothing in the basket. All nice, clean, warm, and pressed. His sensei's clothes have all been thoroughly cleaned.

And so he marched his way back towards the apartment.

Seeing her completely bizarre transformation around his sensei was annoying. But he couldn't detect any form of materialistic desire from her, unlike the rest of his sensei's extended friend group.

Coupled with how relaxed and pleased his sensei was. While he wasn't comfortable with the idea...

Tatsumaki had his blessings.

When he thought about it a bit deeper. They seemed to have lots of similarities... he was sure that Blizzard said something similar as well, though he probably wasn't paying attention all that much when she said it.

And, if Tornado could cause such a massive change for his master... then he was willing to support 'whatever' her endeavors with Saitama sensei are.

Opening the door to Saitama's apartment, he was once again surprised by their closeness. Sitting side by side, watching a movie about a green ogre and a talking donkey.

"The donkey is funny I guess. But Shrek reminds me of you."

"That's the third time you've said that!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah! And it doesn't make it any less true."

His grumble made her laugh, she rubbed the top of her head on his arm, and his frown curled up to a smile.

She reached inside the bowl of popcorn, grabbed a few, and ate them.

Genos placed the large plastic container down and quickly started to hang up his clothes.

The rustling and quick movements caught the attention of both Saitama and Tatsumaki.

Tatsumaki hadn't noticed how close she was to Saitama and promptly stood up, crossing her arms with a faint blush on her face.

Saitama simply looked at her weirdly and paused the movie. "Hey Genos, you're back. Need any help?"

Genos eyed them both, and Tatsumaki's eyes sharpened when their eyes met. He simply shook his head, "I got this master, please enjoy the movie."

"Oh, should I expect you to bunk in my room today sensei?"

He nodded, "Yep. It'd be weird to sleep in the same room with Tats." He then felt a tiny fist hit his left arm.

"Tatsumaki, egghead!" she grumbled.

He waved her off, "Yeah, yeah, Tatsumaki. You got an extra futon?"

He shook his head, "I will require one. I'll be right back."

"Wait Genos-" he tried to stop him, but his voice fell on deaf ears as he quickly dashed to the door.

Saitama was left speechless, his right eyebrow perked up. "What was that about?" When he turned to look to Tatsumaki for answers, she simply shrugged and sat on his futon.

"So..." he started, "liking the movie so far?"

She gave him a soft smile, "So far... not bad. Not what I expected, and the main characters are pretty funny. Fiona's cool I guess."

She mused again, "Shrek's cool too, kinda funny. He's kinda like you... in many ways."

His smile turned into a frown. 'This is the fourth time she said it now.' He shook his head and chuckled when she started to laugh. "Yeah, I guess you can say that."

"Misunderstood."

"Yep," he affirmed. "But we still got about forty minutes left."

"Hnn, ok. Let's finish it."

They sat once again in his Futon, placing pillows on their back to get more comfy.

The movie continued, and the occasional laughter could be heard, alongside the rustling of popcorn and beverages being consumed.

~

City A: July 28, 2023 – 8:22 PM

Tatsumaki stretched herself as the movie credits started to roll. It was honestly an enjoyable movie.

If she and Fubuki had watched this as kids, she would have missed a lot of the innuendos and jokes this movie had.

It was targeted at all demographics, and it hid all of it through its humor, masterfully. She'll give it to the Baldy... she enjoyed it.

It could also be that he was also enjoying the movie as well, and would crack a joke here and there. Making her experience a lot more memorable than if she watched this alone.

And while she didn't want to admit it... she found herself in Fiona. Maybe not the whole princess and royalty bits, but the fact that she had to get strong for her own sake. What she had to learn and the time she spent stuck in that castle.

Keeping her identity a secret from her other two companions. The fear of being seen as a monster blinded her from the friends she made. The fear of being rejected from a likeminded individual because she hated how she looked, or just, in general, who she was.

It was eerily similar...

This was a kid's movie... sorta... so it was natural that it would have a happy ending with her marrying the one and the only person that could understand her. The only person who would not shut her out. Shrek was far from perfect, but he had the qualities to help her grow past that trauma, that hate that she felt in her heart.

As much as she wanted to believe the message in that movie... she just couldn't see it happening to her.

It was a fairytale. And it was meant to have its happy ending.

She could not expect something like that to happen to her.

Saitama unironically seemed to share some of the same traits as Shrek. She just couldn't live with the fact he had to deal with her burdens.

He deserves someone much better than her. She didn't deserve her happy ending.

"So... I take it, you like it?" he asked with a small smile on his face.

She smirked, "It's good for a kid's movie."

"Hey... there's nothing wrong with enjoying a kids' movie as an adult," he protested.

She giggled and flicked the bands of her hair out of her face. "Yeah I guess you're right..."

"You know..." she turned her head to him. "As a kid, and even now - I used to picture myself being Shrek."

"Because he's bald?" she teased with a Cheshire grin.

"I was not bald as a kid!" he whined, he let out a sigh.

She giggled, "Please continue."

"So you can make fun of my head again?" he perked an eyebrow.

She stuck out her pinky, "I won't."

He gave her an amused smirk, "The pinky promise?"

Her eyes brightened and her smile grew.

He walked towards her and extended his pinky. Their pinky fingers locked. "Okay."

"I used to be super weak," he looked up. "I remember being unable to throw a proper fist, or help someone that needed help."

"And I didn't make many friends during school," he mused solemnly. "When I did try, people would call me dull or stupid... or both." he scratched his head. "It felt like no one wanted to give me a chance to be myself..."

"But at some point, I stopped caring about that. I knew I couldn't change who I was, I was never really interested in making many friends in the past anyways." He shrugged. "I just would've liked to be given a chance."

She hummed, "What schools did you go to?"

"Salt Middle School, and Shishito Pepper High School." He listed.

"That's..." she paused. He stared at her oddly.

"I used to go to those schools too..." she admitted.

"Oh? Really? That's a big coincidence."

They were three years apart... so there was a chance they met once in high school?

"Were you in high school in 2013?"

He tilted his head. "Uh...." he paused, "Oh! Yeah! With some old hag named... Mrs. Sashimi?"

"Mrs. Shimizu..." she deadpanned but there was no denying it. They went to the same high school.

"That's cool, where did you live?" he asked.

She took a moment to collect her thoughts, but she answered. "City A's Openhearted Closed Community."

His eyes widen, "No way! I lived there too!"

Her eyes bugged out in the same manner, she started to fidget. "Um, was it the one where it felt like a city? Park and multiple government buildings?"

"Yes. There was also a convenience store run by a kind old lady."

She nodded. "Yeah, I remember her. She gave me a mini-fridge. She was the kindest soul I've ever met."

His eyes perked up. "Really? That's cool."

"Yeah, I didn't live that far from the store. Like a minute away actually," he recalled. "I think the number lot my parents had was 5-2."

Saitama noticed the lack of response from Tatsumaki. And turned to her. She was immobile. "Tats-"

"You lived right in front of me?"

He tilted his head and thought hard.

He never actually made friends with any friends. But he did recall his parents telling him never to make friends with their front-door neighbors and the bullies he constantly had to deal with.

"Maybe," he said. "Maybe we never crossed paths. We are three years apart after all."

She stayed silent and mentally contemplated.

She didn't know he was a neighbor. But she also wouldn't have known either way... she did leave that home along with Fubuki a few months later. Still in that closed community, just in an apartment building that was discontinued.

... Could he...?

She shook her head. She probably would have bullied him if they met as kids.

It's probably better they didn't meet as kids.

She sighed.

"What's your full name?"

He tilted his head again but nodded. "Saitama Kageyasu."

She took in his name and smirked.

"Cheap landscape? Fitting isn't it?" she smirked.

"Ah!?" Saitama's eyes bugged out. "That's not what it means!"

"Oh?" Her smirk only grew.

"It's Calm Sunlight! My name is not has nothing to do with being a cheapass! And even if it was, what's wrong with that?"

She bursted out laughing, holding her sides. Her head started to hurt, but that was due to all her laughing.

As much as Saitama didn't want to, her laugh was infectious. And he started to chuckle alongside her. He still was peeved, but the sound of her voice was oddly soothing. To think he used to find it annoying.

He'd been laughing a lot today hadn't he? Much more than he's done ever... it was nice.

After the laughter died out, Tatsumaki calmed the pulsing pain in her head... massaging her temples. She sighed contently her eyes fluttering, and a small purr escaped her.

A detail Saitama noticed with interest, but didn't say anything.

"Tatsumaki Koyama."

This time, Saitama immediately started to chuckle. Her eyes widened.

"Ain't that fitting? Tiny Mountain? To the T."

She wanted to snarl, but she realized that she had just teased him about his name moments ago.

That wouldn't stop her though, "so what!?"

His chuckle turned into snickering, and she tossed him a lamp with her psychic powers. The same lamp she sent his way hours ago.

"Oi! Don't break my stuff!"

"Serves you right!" She quickly brought her hand and arm to her nose to stop the small trail of blood from flowing down her face. Though he seemed to catch that himself, and frowned. He quickly grabbed a napkin and handed it to her.

"I don't need it," she argued.

"Just take it, please."

...

She sighed and frowned, so earnest. "The only reason I'm taking it is because you asked nicely."

He mused, "Okay."

"Uhh, this headache is killing me." she massaged her temples again. She felt an upcoming-

"Did you drink enough water?"

She chuckled, "Somehow I knew you were gonna ask that."

He huffed, "But did you though?"

She smiled softly and shook her head. Saitama walked towards the fridge and tossed her a cold plastic water bottle. She caught it with ease.

She drank it, and the cold drink quenched her thirst and lessened her headache.

"You know..."

Saitama perked an eyebrow and listened.

"I also found some common ground with Fiona," she admitted.

He didn't say anything, but the way he looked at her gave her the indication that she should elaborate.

"She spent almost all her life cooped up in a castle. But she trained herself in the event no one came for her right?"

He nodded.

"That's..." she almost let it slip, Blast's parting words. But she shook her head. He didn't need to know that.

It was probably for the best he didn't.

"Admirable. She got her happy ending in the end. But she's a badass in her own right." she then flashed him a grin. "Like me."

He rolled his eyes with a smile, "Ay, that you are." He didn't say it sarcastically. Which made her smile wider.

She saw him walk towards his closet, rummaging through clothes that Genos had hung up. Then he pulled another DVD case.

"You down to watch the second one?" he asked earnestly.

"Hmm? There's a second one?" she hummed, "aren't sequels usually bad?"

He flashed her a grin. "This one is just as good as the first." He mused, "It might be the best romance movie ever too."

"Ooooh," she mused. "Just as funny too?"

"Yep! More popcorn?"

She smiled, "Sure, and alright then! Let's watch!"

After opening and microwaving another bag of popcorn, with bottles of water for each. Saitama pressed 'play' on the DVD remote. The movie's introduction started playing.

She found herself snuggling close to him again, subconsciously.

Something Saitama noticed, but didn't voice his thoughts.

~

City A: July 28, 2023 – 10:57 PM

She yawned and mewled. The movie didn't disappoint, it was just as good as the first, just like Saitama said.

And the devotion the two had for one another was really sweet. She never expected to compliment a kid's movie for its writing.

The humor was just as good.

It was a good movie overall.

She had to give it to the baldy, he knows his movies. She was skeptical at first when he showed it. But seeing the first changed her mind. And his vouch for the second one gave her the confidence to watch it with him. Granted, it was only two, and they were kid's movies... but she wasn't complaining. They were good movies after all.

But she was sleepy. And so was Saitama.

Saitama's eyes were almost fully closed. She wasn't far behind.

All the laughter, bits of banter, and compliments towards the voice acting here and there put a toll on both of them.

She had fun watching these movies, and cooking with him. This was probably the most fun she's had since their physical altercation a month ago.

She was tired, and she should have shaken him asleep. But his arm, his chest, so warm to the touch. She just found herself pressing her head against it further.

It was firm, hard as steel... yet at the same time, soft.

His body made her feel warm and safe, and she felt a bit of heat creep down her face. But none of these feelings felt unpleasant. She found herself drawn to them. There was no harm in resting her eyes for a bit, right?

Her hands pressed onto his chest, she could hear his heartbeat.

She hadn't noticed that both of them were slowly descending, and eventually rested onto his futon.

Before she could right herself, she found herself deep asleep.

Both Saitama and Tatsumaki cuddled subconsciously in their sleep. The TV still playing on loop the title screen.

~

City A: July 29, 2023 – 9:22 AM

She found herself awake. And to her big surprise, she was staring directly at Saitama's sleeping form.

The shock of seeing someone in the same bed as her froze up. And she marveled at all of his features from such a close proximity.

He looked cute while sleeping. His soft breaths didn't bother her, and they didn't reach her either way.

He looked at ease, serene.

The memories of yesterday started to fill her mind.

When the shock finally subsided, she was met with embarrassment, and her cheeks and face were scarlet red.

She stood up quietly. Saitama jerked a bit but was still sound asleep.

She sighed and tried to calm her mind, she felt like her ears would let out steam.

She also noticed that she was wearing the same 'Oppai' jacket he gave her the two previous nights.

She frowned but she had to take a shower. Which meant that she would have to borrow a different set of clothes again.

She guessed he wouldn't mind... and she didn't want to wake him up.

She sighed and tipped-toed her way towards his bathroom, with a new jacket on hand... ugh... his clean underwear... and the towel she used the other day.

She gave Saitama's sleeping form another glance, she smiled fondly at the dopey way he slept, he was legitimately cute.

She closed the bathroom door and sighed.

She removed the articles of clothing that Saitama let her borrow. She grew curious and started to use her powers. She wasn't surprised that she could use them effectively. But there was an odd feeling in the back of her head.

So she wasn't at a hundred percent capacity... but it was more than enough to safely fly home.

She overestimated how much reserves she had in the early morning. Just using her powers once made her nose bleed. And Saitama noticed it twice.

Right now, she could handle actual Demon-level threats.

She entered the tub and let the warm water hit her form, she audibly purred at the sensation. She needed this.

She felt lighter, and her body reacted positively to the warm temperature. Almost as if healing her.

She wasn't surprised by her accelerated healing, that's always been part of her passive abilities as an esper. She didn't know much of her potential... Fubuki was unironically better at the esper techniques and finesse than she was.

It was one of the few things she could give credit to her sister.

And that was an exploit that... Hermes... exploited in their fight.

Her brute strength was not enough to take him down. He was regenerating from practically a molecular level... at least she assumed so.

He was resilient. His physical strength was comparable to the likes of Amai Mask or Darkshine. Speed rivaling Flashy combining it with teleportation. And probably a better healing factor than Zombieman's.

All of that, plus a massive array of esper techniques that probably trumps even her sister's endeavors.

And he only showed what he had to. It was why he was able to get the better of her a couple of times.

She stared down to her hand, and opened her palm, then closed it.

Reminiscing the power that she unlocked with sheer force and will.

The red aura that coated her, turning her eyes and hair into a bright brilliant red. The power itself skyrocketed her to unknown levels of power. She didn't have the time to fully know her capabilities. Only she knew one thing - she could rip the planet in half if she wanted to, she was confident in that.

But of course, she'd never.

Her drive to protect Fubuki was what allowed her to achieve something she would have never imagined.

And... she hadn't even called her own sister.

For all the love that she had for her, being around this Baldy made time pass by.

No... she just didn't want to face her just yet. She was far from ready. She would never be weak around her baby sister.

Not now, not ever.

There were so many things she wasn't ready to deal with. So many things she was setting off to the side for another day, or never.

But talking to her sister was a must. She didn't want to tip her off that she wasn't in tip-top shape. But she couldn't jeopardize their current dynamic...

She... didn't want her sister to push her out. Never wanted that, ever.

She hated Fubuki's high school days, always plotting. Had a perpetual frown everywhere she went. The friendships she broke, and the new ones she made... all for the sake of taking her down.

Fubuki was acting a lot more like the younger sister she remembered her as. Always full of wonder, the happiness in her eyes was more present.

She knew it was because she was now 'tolerating' her little gang, and that terrible woman Psykos.

But it was all for the sake of her sister. She wanted her in her life. And she'd do anything to keep it.

Even if it meant having to lie to her, to keep the image of this infallible soldier.

That's how the world viewed her as... the trump card of this world. They only called if there was a problem they couldn't fix.

He... he didn't see her like that, however, Saitama. She felt her face heat up, and it wasn't due to the warm water.

Soap and body wash trailed down her body. She felt a sting in her stomach, and she found herself swooning.

What this Baldy did to her... in just two days. This feeling felt liberating. Exciting.

But just as her mind was flying through the clouds of nine. The dark traumas brought her back.

The Monster of Tsukuyomi. The World's Last Defense. The Strongest Woman on Earth. The Strongest Esper on Earth.

The Tornado of Terror.

All titles, once given to her, or titles that she still holds. The expectation the world had for her.

To defend them, no matter the cause, and for her own life.

She loved her hero work, so she took great joy in seeing the happy faces of kids and families who had a second chance at life when all seemed lost. Even the fakes and the weak, loathe them she did, they were still under her protection.

At one point in her life, she would have owed it all to Blast for guiding her to the position that she was in.

But the doubt of inadequacy started to consume her.

Beings like Psykos, Garou, and even Hermes who could match her in combat... she was certain they posed no threat to her. She had defeated two, and while she never fought Garou... she was certain she could defeat him as well.

But it wasn't the reassurance that she could defeat them that bothered her, she knew she could, and did.

It was the fact that they could reach her level in such a short time.

She was unsure how Garou had become so strong... or if he was already that strong. But Psykos and Hermes simply required a technique to match her and slowly filled her with dread.

Before their transformations, they were barely S-Class entries. Or not good enough to be in S-Class, but high up in A...

The thought of someone being a relative equal to her attempts such a technique...

It would be catastrophic.

Her mind was telling her she could fend off that threat... she had a new technique in her arsenal, maybe... she didn't know if she could call upon it at will. She probably could.

The fact that she was the only one who could deal with it herself fortified her belief.

No matter what happiness she may seek. The world would need her to fend off a threat only she could fight.

She couldn't expect someone to come save her...

'Wait...' she paused.

Through the see-through shower curtains, her eyes trailed through the door.

...

Was she alone?

'Saitama...'

She pressed her hand on her chest.

He was the only one to prove himself an equal.

He came to help her when she expected no one.

And reassured her that she was strong, someone he valued in high regard.

His crude, sometimes heartfelt jokes. His amber eyes. His smile.

...

...

No... Stop.

They were both heroes. But this was her fight.

She was expected to be the world's symbol.

She wasn't going to drag him down with her just because she liked him.

Such a bizarre turn of events. Her talking about 'liking' someone. But it was something she just came to terms with...

She was like any other person, she wanted the same things normal people did.

She just... wasn't like normal people.

But he made her feel ordinary.

He made her feel safe by caring for her, catering to her needs, checking on her condition every so often, and his worried expression when she pushed herself a bit too much.

When she thought he was leaning in for a kiss (embarrassing as it was for her to assume that).

The softness of his breath, how close they were.

He made her feel wanted, by having her help him cook - teaching her how. And the way he cupped her face and hand, pleading for her to stay again.

He made her feel whole.

Which was exactly why she couldn't be with anyone.

She couldn't allow them to deal with her baggage.

She turned the faucet off, and the sprinkling water quickly diminished.

She found herself thinking of Saitama again while drying herself.

Such a bizarre man, out of nowhere reaches A-Class and is a potential rival to her.

She thought he was just a weak fake trailing behind the Demon Cyborg. But she couldn't be any further from the truth.

Then in a single day, he completely changed her worldview.

He managed to make her younger sister more involved in her life.

And in a single night, he managed to make her open up. Talk, laugh, cry, share meals together... and cuddle...

Her cheeks were rosy, gently lifted her hands to feel the heat on her face. She didn't want to fight it.

She's been so wishy-washy with these new emotions.

Should she? Should she not?

...

She let out a long sigh.

This was probably the third time she'd said it to herself, but it was best if they never saw each other again.

Saitama... was dangerous to her heart.

And she knew the more he showed, the less she would fight this.

Her heart was pounding, her chest tightening, and her stomach swirling.

She sighed, this was probably not going to be easy.

~

Opening the bathroom door, the steam from the room escaped. She dried her hair one last time with the blue towel. After she was done, she grabbed the dirty clothes she used and placed them in the gray plastic container that he stored his dirty clothes in.

She noticed immediately that Saitama wasn't on his futon anymore, taking a few more steps and a left turn. She saw him making breakfast, and eggs again.

When he noticed her walking towards him, he gave her a warm smile. That made her face get painted with a tint of rosy.

"Hey," he called. His voice wasn't so monotone, he sounded like he was pleased to see her. She bit the bottom of her lip trying to stop her smile. But she couldn't, so she returned it with her own.

Watching him beam in response made her heart flutter. She stopped herself from swooning, because damn. She was making it so obvious.

He seemed to be a bit dense, which was fine with her.

"Hi," she responded. "Eggs?"

"Yep, this time scrambled, with beans and toast."

She perked up and lifted herself off the ground. "Sounds yummy. Need help?"

He perked with a smile, "your powers back?" he asked. She nodded. "And uh, sure. I haven't toasted the bread yet." He then signaled her with his eyes and head. "Right, there's the toaster. Butter's in the fridge. It's almost ready too."

She nodded with a small grin. She grabbed two pieces of bread for each and slotted two in the toaster.

"Oh, one last thing," he mentioned as he whisked around the beans into what looked like paste. "On the top shelf, there's a glass spice herb grinder. When you add the butter to the bread, use the herb grinder on it."

She tilted her head. Asking for more clarification.

He smirked, "Trust me, it'll blow your mind!"

She shrugged and nodded.

It didn't take long for Saitama to finish up, and neither did she. The food was very warm, and after she slathered butter onto her piece of toast and watched it melt... she grabbed the glass spice grinder and coated it generously. When she looked up to see if she did it right, Saitama simply gave her a good thumbs up.

The eggs and beans combined were something. Then she took a bite of her toast.

And she felt her entire mouth melt with an explosion of flavors.

She audibly mewled. And gushed at this amazing sensation. It was sweet and salty. Coupled with four different flavors and textures. It was amazing.

"Good right?" Saitama's voice jerked her out of her thoughts, she nodded in response. "Glad you liked it. Mom used to do it like this," his voice trailed off, seemingly recalling a childhood memory. There was fondness to his voice, but at the same time, he looked dejected.

He waved it off before she could ask about it.

They ate in relative silence, occasionally he would crack a joke that she would giggle at, and she'd do the same.

"I noticed that you haven't called your sister," he noted.

That got her attention, and she refrained from showing a scowl, Yeah..." She sighed. "I haven't."

"She's probably worried about you."

"Yep, even when I told the HA operator to tell her I'm fine, she'll still find a way to worry about me." she rested her head on her standing arm, balled fist cushioning her cheek. "It's odd, a month ago I would've thought she hated my guts," a small smile crept on her face. "I'm glad for the change."

Saitama hummed, then he reached for his pocket and handed her his phone.

Wait, she wasn't read-

"Tell her you're fine. I may not know Fubuki all that well, but I know she'll appreciate you calling."

"She has your number!" she retorted. "She'll know that I'm with you! And she'll start to ask questions!"

He patted her head and she short-circuited. Not ready for such contact.

He smiled, "the truth will set you free."

Her eyes widened.

She couldn't find a way to reply to him, he simply lowered his hand once he was done petting her. With his other hand extended, offering her his phone.

She hesitated, but nodded. She gently took the phone from his hand. Her heartbeat quickened, though she steeled her nerves. Having dialed her number, she pressed the call.

...

...

'Saitama? Why are you calling me? You never call.'

She let out a big sigh.

"It's me Fubuki,"

She heard rustling, and she also heard a thud. She probably dropped the phone in shock.

'Onee-chan!?' she practically screamed. 'Where have you been!? I've been trying to call you all day yesterday! I've been so worried!'

Then there was a pause. 'Wait.'

'Here we go,' she sighed internally.

'Why are you calling me using Saitama's phone number?'

She remained silent, the words wouldn't escape her mouth.

Saitama gazed into her eyes, and she gazed back. She would rather lose himself in his amber eyes than have to deal with this.

'Hello? Onee-chan? Are you there?'

Saitama nodded at her. She sighed.

"I got hurt Fubuki," she finally admitted. "Fighting the monster that attacked me."

"Saitama was there, and he helped me recuperate." she tapped her fingers impatiently. "I'm better now."

Her younger sister didn't respond right away. And she stuttered before she could get a word out. 'Um... are you sure onee-chan?'

"I handled it, and Saitama was there. I'm fine Fubs," She said, almost in a whisper. "Promise."

Both of them went silent. Saitama was right, she felt like a huge weight off her shoulders. She hated the idea of her sister thinking she needed help. But Saitama's reassurance was seemingly paying off.

'Okay...' Fubuki finally said.

She smiled, "Alright then, I'll call you back alright?" If her sister was going to respond or object, she didn't give her the chance to voice it because she ended the call right there.

She handed the phone to him, he gave her a proud smile and returned to his breakfast. She did the same.

When they finished, she tasked herself with washing his dishes much to his chagrin.

When she finished, she solemnly floated towards Saitama. Who was flicking through the TV channels? He turned his head to meet her gaze. "What's up?"

"Saitama," her voice had him standing up. She had his full attention.

"Thank you for your hospitality," she bowed gently. "But I think," she swallowed nervously, "that's time for me to go back home."

She watched his curious face furrow and be replaced with concern. "You sure?" he asked. "I don't mind if you stay another day." It almost sounded like a plead.

She shook her head. "I think I've been here long enough, but thank you for the offer." She nervously turned to her side. "Besides, I think Fubuki's waited for me long enough."

"Oh right, Fubuki." She smiled knowingly. Did he forget that her sister was worried about her as well? Her heart swelled in pride, even if it made him sound super dumb.

"Well," he started. "I enjoyed having you around. I honestly thought I wouldn't be honest."

She gave him a strong deadpan stare, but he didn't notice.

"But I'm glad I got to know you a bit more Tatsumaki. You're pretty cool ya know?"

She looked away bashfully, a tint of red appeared on her face, and curling a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Thanks, Baldy," she mused, he responded with a pleased grin. "I used to think you were a fake hero stealing people's credit. But I know that's not true, nor is it what they say."

He looked at her weirdly, then his eyes realized what she meant. "Oh right... you searched me up online."

She nodded. "Lots of terrible misinformation. I know that's not the case, and I only saw these reviews after our scuffle. Not before," she clarified.

"Also, I'll have your clothes returned," she said.

"Oh yeah, thanks." he scratched the back of his head.

She then floated closer to him.

And hugged him tight.

His eyes widened, shocked and unprepared for the warm gesture.

"Thank you, Saitama."

He grinned and returned it.

"Ye-Yeah, no problem."

She mused. It took a bit to separate from him, his warmth did a number on her.

She felt compelled to give him a peck on the cheek. Tempted too, she liked him... but she wanted to save him from having to deal with her, tainted, broken self.

It was more than likely the last time she was going to see him, at least if she could help it.

What he did to her... her heart... she was afraid to let him see the real her.

She opened the door behind them with telekinesis. She took one last look at him with a soft smile and turned to the door.

"Oh right!" Saitama called. She turned again. "I almost forgot... back when the monster clan thing was raided. There was a hero that seemed to know who you are... what was his name...?" Saitama looked deep in thought.

She was puzzled, but she waited for him to finish.

"Oh yeah! Blast sends his regards." he smiled.

The world crashed around her.

Blast?

'When the time comes, don't go expecting someone to come save you.'

The tendrils of darkness filled her vision.

She had to steal food from the cafeteria and pocket any single coin she could find. And daily alter the house to have running water and electricity. All for Fubuki and her.

Visions of the past came in and out of focus.

'Master Otento,' a scientist called but was silenced as he menacingly walked to a young Tatsumaki.

'Look little misses... you can't hide it. I can sense it.' He gave her a malicious grin. 'It's only a matter of time... Monster of Tsukuyomi.'

She felt herself hyperventilate.

'Tatsumaki.'

Her eyes widened.

'When the time comes, don't go expecting someone to come save you.'

The dark image of Blast, the bastard of Otento, and... the grotesque visage of Hermes appeared in front of her.

'You will never find peace.'

"Tatsumaki!"

Then, in what was once darkness, Saitama's face and body appeared in front of everyone.

The darkness dissipated and was replaced with light.

"You okay? You started shivering?"

He cupped her face.

She accepted his touch and brought her hand up, she caressed his hand.

"Thank you, I'm fine... just remembered something."

He didn't look convinced but nodded. "Okay..."

"Tats..." she perked up at the petname. "Um," he looked away. "Look I'm terrible at this, but..." he quickly dashed and came back with a paper and pen.

He handed her the small sheet, it was his phone number. "Don't hesitate to call, I guess."

She smirked, a faint blush on her face. "Smooth."

His eyes bugged out. "Um..."

A hint of red appeared on his face.

She giggled, "I'm joking." She waved. "See ya. Take care."

"... Right, see ya Tats, take care as well." he waved goodbye.

He watched her float away, from the distance, he saw her turn back to see him.

Their eyes met.

And they both saw a sorrowful expression in each other's eyes.

What, or how they interpreted the gazes... neither could tell.

Eventually, Tatsumaki was out of his view. She was a tiny dot on the horizon. He couldn't believe it was still morning.

Not a moment after. Genos came walking out of his apartment. He looked surprised. "Master." He walked towards him, and peeked towards his room, empty. "I take it that Miss Tornado has left?"

He didn't respond, he simply kept his gaze towards the direction that she left in.

A feeling of emptiness threatened to envelop him. If he had been asked if that was a bad thing four months ago, he wouldn't have cared.

But Genos, Bang, King, Fubuki even... and Tatsumaki.

He didn't know if he could ever return to being alone.

So when he turned to Genos and everything that they've both dealt and transpired with. The guilt of his failures daunted him.

From such an early age.

The failures of being a son, and a friend... even as a hero-

'Carry me?'

He stared deep into her emerald eyes. Completely stunned by them, out of all the words he could think of... her eyes looked gorgeous, her soft smile, and her bedroom eyes. He couldn't help but marvel at her soft features.

She turned to him, with misty eyes and a beautiful smile.

He felt his heartbeat rise. The visage of seeing her expression called to him. And he didn't know why.

'And you are. You're the real deal.'

She had a high opinion of him. Something had changed between them for her to do a complete 180... It was an amazingly welcomed change. And hearing her regard him at such high esteem... filled him with pride.

'It's that the truth will set you free.'

And when he shared his doubts, and his obstacles regarding his best friend. She offered such a piece of simple advice. He took it to heart.

And he had used that same advice to help her with Fubuki...

He stared into Genos' eyes.

"Master?"

It was only right that he did the same.

"Genos... We need to talk."

-End of Chapter-

Author's Notes: I really enjoyed writing this chapter. I also did a few callbacks (gonna see if y'all can find the two lol.)

SO THE IMPORTANT NEWS.

But first, let me address some of the criticism.

I've read that some of you have addressed that Saitama and Tatsumaki's relationship might be speeding by fast.

Sadly yes, that is an issue that plagued me while writing. And I understand. No one has directly said it's a bad thing, but as a writer, I know that I'm masking this as 'slow-burn' but it isn't.

The reason why it's going fast is something that I mentioned in chapter 1. (I think, at least.)

So for anyone who knows (or doesn't), this story is complete. Meaning that the final chapter is already made. I'm sprinkling chapters every 2 weeks to give me time to fix the grammar spelling and writing mistakes I made. (And also work on other projects in that 2-week timetable.)

The true issue stems that, this story took me 6 months to make (exactly 6 months to be specific). And the creation of this fanfic stemmed from a ONE-SHOT prompt my friend suggested.

The original plan of this story was to be a single-entry one-shot that was supposed to be 10,000 words. Tatsumaki was hurt by a powerful enemy, was super weakened and the first thing she did was take solace in the first person she thought about (Saitama). From there, it was supposed to end with them falling in love.

You can sort of see... that said prompt was pretty much extended to... 80k words (at the end of my writing).

The reason why is that I felt there wasn't any build-up to Tatsumaki getting hurt. And I also thought that the enemy didn't have enough motivation for her to fight. Then came the issue of why was she fighting such a strong opponent, why was the opponent so strong? I didn't just want to create an enemy so powerful for no reason. So I gave the OC all the traits necessary to mask him as a character that reflected Tatsumaki's worst "hypothetical" traits. While boosting him up artificially to make the fight more even.

I don't like creating powerful characters without purpose or reason.

So Hermes' very existence made me basically write 13k words in the first go. Which basically passed the original goal of 10k word one-shot.

I hadn't even gotten the SaiTatsu part of the one-shot.

And I didn't want to rush their dynamic either... So I wrote their connections and dynamics the best way I could.

By the time I realized it. I was finishing up the "solace scene" without them ending up together, just infatuated.

I had breached the 50k word line. 60k would be classified as a novel.

Here's the thing. I WAS STILL TREATING THIS AS A ONE-SHOT.

For those who don't know. One-shot and Multi-chapter stories are structured fundamentally differently. This is why Chapters 1 to 4 take place in the span of TWO days (in verse). Because I didn't write this story with the intention of it being a Multi-chapter story/Novel.

It's why the story's romance feels rushed/fast.

It was only after I finished the "solace scene" (which is this chapter btw). I was recommended to structure the story like a Multi-chapter.

But by then it was too late. I had already dedicated 4 months to this and I wanted to end it quickly.

So, being 1000% transparent to all of you, there is only 2 chapters left in this story. For a total of 6 chapters.

It took me an extra 2 months to finish up the story with me rushing because I was taking too long in a story that was supposed to only be 10k words.

Do I regret writing this?

Absolutely not!

Even when I was straining myself to finish up, I wouldn't have finished this If I didn't love this story and didn't love SaiTatsu.

So I pressed forward for all of those who wanted to read it.

Though, in my haste, I left a lot of things unanswered.

Which brings me to the IMPORTANT NEWS.

I will be extending this story by a single chapter (for a total of 7 chapters).

Since this new chapter hasn't been written yet, I cannot give an exact date on when it'll be released.

I know this might sound discouraging, but the following 2 chapters will be released schedually.

Thank you for your time and patience. I truly appreciate every single one of you that reads and reviews.

But I won't leave in a somber note.

I'm dropping some of the Legendary SaiTatsu fics I recommend dearly!

Hmph! By Bonfireboy (AKA, Kymedi)

What It Means by HorrificallyDreadful

Weirdo and Weirdo by Wedgegeck

¿Te Odio? O ¿Te Amo? by OVERGROWNROVER181818 (Spanish Fanfic)

The Two Odd Halves by Eerie Enigma

Knocked Up! by LunaAzul788

Breaking the Barrier by SpiritBloodDragon2

Para Sanar, Tuve que Recordarte by Atirhopes (Spanish Fanfic)

ESPunch by GuyWithTheCats

There's plenty more! But I'd also like to dedicate a spot for SaiTatsu Fanfic writers who deserve the spotlight!

Made Ordinary by BananaOnHappyCrack

Defeat by ofstardust

Can't Help Falling in Love by ConnerWoodson

One Dead Punch by Catfee7744

The Touch of Raindrops by Allergictowatermelon

Ringo Ame by ofstardust

I just need someone to hold me (even though you don't even know me) by likeamigraine

Really long list, but these are some stories I always go back to read when I can, and some new writers in the fray! Love to see new interpretations of SaiTatsu. Keep it up! I believe in all of you!

Take care, follow me on Twitter "ItsEl_Cato" for the exact day I'll drop chapter 5!

Thank you for your time and patience. Much love and hugs! Take care!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 3.4K 20
(Y/n) is a C class hero who takes care of the people that had been hurt during an attack. She isn't a good fighter so she decided to use her medicine...
649 43 8
3 Months Later. After the Monster Association Arc and the Awakened Garou fight, Takashi continues his boring life as Saitama and being a Hero for a h...
103K 3K 14
Welcome to a world where monsters are at every corner, where heroes are actually paid for their deeds, welcome to the world of One Punch Man We follo...
379 7 1
Saitama and Tatsumaki have always found the Christmas season to be a dreary time, but maybe together they can find what really makes the holiday so s...