Zulu

By nkosithandolwethu18

This story focuses on a young South African boy called Zulu, who had a strong belief in his culture and wante... More

Appreciation note
Characters
One| Migration
Two | Treasure
Four | The interrogation
Five | Three birds with one stone
Six | Scissors
Seven | You can't have them both
Eight | You should step up for her or else...
Nine | Psychic gift
Ten | Blissful
Eleven | You are pregnant
Twelve | The bench

Three | Zulu

18 6 0
By nkosithandolwethu18

Mxolisi's uniform was wet and he didn't know what to wear. He didn't have time to wash it because he came late, he decided to take his sport clothes and wore them. Mary was making Mxolisi's lunch because she remembered that Mxolisi didn't have anything to eat on his first day. Mary didn't know that Mxolisi's uniform was wet, because when she came back yesterday from Mxolisi's new school, she found Mxolisi in the house already. Mary yelled, "Mxolisi are you ready!?"

"Almost!" Mxolisi replied.

Mxolisi was in his room and Mary was in the kitchen. Mary looked at the time and saw that Mxolisi was taking soo long. She went to his room and saw him wearing sport clothes, Mary was surprised. "I didn't know it was sport day today," she said.

"It is. You see aunt that why yesterday you didn't find me in school. It's because we were practicing with another school," Mxolisi replied.

Mxolisi's story wasn't adding up because yesterday he said he was in his new friend's house to his aunt and now it's practice. Mary thought of it and she was also confused.

"I thought you were visiting a friend," she said suspiciously. 

"Yes I was after the practice," Mxolisi covered himself.

Mary gave Mxolisi his lunch and money. She knew something was up with him. "But It's early for sport," Mary said. Mxolisi saw that Mary is suspecting something. "It's not early, the problem is that I came in February and that's why you'll feel like it's early," he said.

"Ok I got a letter from your school saying that on Friday there's an event. It's a valentine's ball event and it also says you're allowed to enter when you you have a partner," Mary talking. Mxolisi just nod his head disagreeing to the letter and he took his bag, at least it wasn't wet. 

He responded, "I'm not going....because I don't have a partner."

"Why not? You must've seen someone at least," Mary insisted.

Mxolisi had a flashback of Thando and Amanda humiliating him. "Aunt it's my second day at school and I'll be late," Mxolisi ignored Mary.

Second day in school 

Aaliyah was sitting with her boyfriend Vusumuzi. They loved each other but they only had one problem and that was Aaliyah was only speaking English and Vusumuzi couldn't speak English but he was able to hear it. Vusumuzi knew how to speak Zulu only and Aaliyah doesn't understand Zulu. It was hard for them to communicate but they loved each other.

"Babe I want you to check out my dress I would like to wear on Friday," said Aaliyah. 

"On you this dress beautiful," Vusumuzi complimented her.

Aaliyah held Vusumuzi's hand and asked, "What will you buy for me?"

Vusumuzi replied, "You see Friday."

Aaliyah understood her boyfriend even though their communication was lacking but they were the best couple in class and they looked so adorable together. They were sitting in class, it was still early in the morning. "I can't wait to show you what I got for you my love," said Aaliyah. Vusumuzi looked at her and he smiled. Mxolisi came in and everyone looked at him because of the sport clothes.

[Learners laughed]

Mzwanele made fun of him, "I totally forgot that today was sport day." 

[Learners laughed]

The teacher came in and saw Mxolisi wearing sport clothes. "I thought we only wear sport on Friday and why are you wearing them today?" She asked. "I didn't know that ma'am," he replied. The teacher guessed that Mxolisi must've been the new student.

During first break

Senamile was sitting alone eating her lunch and Siyamthanda was watching her from a distance. His mind told him to go and ask her out but at the same time Siyamthanda was afraid of rejection. Mxolisi saw Siyamthanda peeping on Senamile and he came behind his back.

[Siyamthanda gasped]

"Why don't you go and talk to her?" Mxolisi asked. Siyamthanda stuttered, "who...are you talking...about?"

Mxolisi pointed at Senamile and Siyamthanda was scared. "You definitely need someone to push you to go to her," Mxolisi said. Siyamthanda was sweating and also shaking at the same time. 

[Siyamthanda breathed sharply]

He looked at Mxolisi and shacked his hands. Siyamthanda had a courage to go to Senamile. Mxolisi saw some girls looking at him and he thought that they are whispering about him. Zweli came, he was smiling.

"Mxolisi are you doing good?" Zweli asked.

"Yep I am doing good you?" Mxolisi responded.

Zweli asked because yesterday they were eating together and today they are not, he felt like Mxolisi was using him. He did not have the conclusion though and said, "I'm good...I see today you have your lunch." Mxolisi replied, "yes thanks man for yesterday, do I have repay you?" Zweli thought of something silly then he nod his head agreeing.

"I know you respect women, your culture and because you are a Zulu but if you want to repay me then this is the price. Going to watch net..." Mxolisi interrupted him, "no man, you know I respect my culture and that is just against it."

"So your culture says you must not look at girls?" Zweli asked. 

Mxolisi realized that Zweli is being silly but because he had to repay him, he agreed to Zweli's plan and they went to the netball court to watch. Siyamthanda wanted to ask Senamile to be his partner on Friday. "Hey," Syamthanda greeted. 

[Indistinct conversation]

Senamile replied, "hey Siyamthanda." Senamile acted as if everything was alright, as if she was not embarrassed. "You look great today," Siyamthanda complimented her.

"Thanks," she appreciated. Siyamthanda did not know how to ask her and he kept on looking away. "Um...you know...uh," Siyamthanda stuttered. Senamile looked at him and she hoped that he will finish his sentence but he did not. Siyamthanda kept quiet after he said that. "You haven't said a word," she said. Siyamthanda  scratched his head and licked his lips. Senamile packed her lunch, stood up and turned away from Siyamthanda. She wanted to leave because Siyamthanda was wasted her time.

"I would like...you to be my partner on...Friday," Siyamthanda stuttered. Senamile turned her back and looked at him. 

[Senamile cleared throat]"Sorry I'm not going on Friday."

Siyamthanda nodded his head agreeing sarcastically. "Fine then that means I won't go also," said Siyamthanda.

[Senamile sighed]

"Just go and ask someone else not me, I'm not interested in Friday's event. Not because I don't want to go with you but it's because I'm not interested," Senamile convinced Siyamthanda to look for someone. Siyamthanda was disappointed in himself and thought that maybe the problem was him. Senamile left him alone standing. Senamile turned and looked at Siyamthanda as she was walking away from him. She actually felt pity for him. Zweli and Mxolisi were in the netball court watching, Mxolisi couldn't get his eyes off Thando and Zweli noticed it.

[Zweli laughed]

"Why are you laughing?" Mxolisi asked. Zweli looked at Thando playing and said, "you didn't want to be here but now you're doing more than me." Mxolisi was confused with what Siyamthanda said. Mxolisi realized that Zweli was a pervert.

Bell rang

They all went to class and Siyamthanda couldn't look Senamile in her eyes because he hated rejection. The sport manager of the school came to announce something. "Good afternoon learners," sport manager greeted.

"Afternoon sir!" learners greeted back.

"I have bad news and good news," said the sport manager.

[learners banged tables and yelled]"Good news first! Good news first! After they were done banging tables they would all be silent. "We will practice after school," said the sport manager.

Mzwanele responded, "but we didn't bring our sport clothes."

[Learners murmured]

The sport manager said, "I've spoken to the principal about that and today the school will knock off early."

[Learners cheered]

The sport manager looked at Mxolisi and said, "looks like someone had a feeling about this." Zweli asked, "what about the bad news?" The learners went silent again. "Oh I nearly forgot, um the bad news is that this year there will be no scout coming from colleges. That means we will be playing for fun and also for maintaining our reputation as a school. Also don't forget to come and register during break," the sport manager replied.

During second break

Everyone who wanted to participate in a particular sport went to register. Nokwanda registered for netball and that was because she was the star. Thando, Aaliyah and Amanda registered for netball. They looked Nokwanda awkwardly because they hated the truth that she was better than them. She came towards them and bragged, "are you not happy that I'm on your team, actually my team because I'll be your captain surely."

The girls ignored her. Mzwanele looked at Mxolisi as he was signing for football.

[Mzwanele laughed]"Well Zulu boy, you think you can be on football? This is my team, I'm the captain and for two years now." Mxolisi looked at him and didn't respond at all. In this school, the captains were the deciders of the formations, strategies and positions. So if the captains were to decide any changes, then it will be so.

During after school 

The players were back and they wore their sports clothes. Mxolisi was standing with Zweli chatting and Amanda had a courage to confront Mxolisi. Zweli left when she came and Mxolisi wanted to hear what she will say.

"Hi," she greeted him.

"Hi," Mxolisi replied.

"Look I'm really sorry for what happened to you yesterday, it wasn't my..." Mxolisi interrupted her, "it's fine a real Zulu doesn't hold grudges against girls." Amanda felt relieved about that because she was expecting that Mxolisi would be rude.

"Ok then I would like you to be my partner on Friday," she proposed.

[Mxolisi cleared throat]

Their conversation was disturbed when the sport manager said, "alright everyone, looks like you are all here. So we will have two teams in football and netball." 

They were all in the great hall of the school. First it was netball playing and Nokwanda was showing off. She was in the same team with Aaliyah, Thando and Amanda. It was like she's playing alone and Thando was angry because Nokwanda wasn't sharing the ball with her. Nokwanda kept on scoring until Thando came to her and pushed her. Nokwanda wanted to fight back but Amanda held her. The referee intervened. 

"What's wrong with you!?" Nokwanda was angry.

"What's wrong with you?" Thando asked. Nokwanda said angrily, "do you know who you are messing with!?" The referee couldn't take it anymore. "Enough both of you, Thando I'll have to take you out of the court now!"

Thando looked at the referee and she went out. The netball players continued playing after Thando's drama and Nokwanda's team won 79 - 2. Then when it was over, it was time for football. Siyamthanda was watching, he saw Senamile watching too and decided to go sit with her.

"You are the only girl in class who does not participate," Siyamthanda teased her. 

"You're the only nerd in class," Senamile teased him back.

[Both chuckled]

"You know earlier I was a bit..." Senamile interrupted him, "scared? I know which is why I'll be your partner on Friday." Siyamthanda didn't catch that immediately but then ended up catching it. "Wait did you just say that?" Siyamthanda asked.

"Do you really want to know because I might change my mind?" Senamile messed with him.

"Lets enjoy football," he said.

They looked at each other with a smile. The boys were playing, Mxolisi, Zweli, Vusumuzi and Mzwanele on the same team. Zweli was on the bench because Mxolisi and him were playing on the same position so Mzwanele gave Mxolisi the chance hoping that he'll make mistakes. Mxolisi's performance was impressive and they were winning 3 - 0. Mzwanele was jealous of him, so he decided to take him off the pitch and Zweli came in. The opponents decided to substitute Mxolisi in and he was against Mzwanele. Mxolisi did miracles and humiliated Mzwanele.

[Fans chanting]"Zulu! Zulu! Zulu! Zulu! Zulu!"

This was the first time everyone saw someone playing like that. Mxolisi scored a hattrick with one assist. Everyone was shouting for him and the final score was 3 - 4, Mzwanele's team lost. Mxolisi was with his team in the dressing room singing.

"It was a great honor and thank you guys for the opportunity,"  Mxolisi appreciated.

"No worries we didn't know you were like Messi," a boy complimenting him.

They continued singing and Mxolisi left. He remembered that he left his bag in class. Mzwanele, Vusumuzi and Zweli came towards him.

[Mzwanele chuckled]

"Zweli what's going on?" Mxolisi asked. Mzwanele was still pissed about what happened and wanted revenge. "You think Zweli is your friend? It's not like that Zulu boy, you don't even know Zweli that much and he doesn't owe you any explanation, right Zweli?" Mzwanele was angry. Zweli was stuck in a corner where he had to choose between a friend and his dream. The problem was that Zweli never got a chance to play freely on the field and he saw this as an opportunity.

[Zweli cleared throat]"Yes."

Mxolisi knew that something was about to happen and told himself that he's a real Zulu, he doesn't run away because of another man.

[Mzwanele chuckled]

"I'm sorry Mxolisi," Zweli apologised. Vusumuzi and Zweli grabbed Mxolisi's hands so that he doesn't fight back. Mzwanele beat him in the stomach seven times and Mxolisi fell down. He was beating him so hard, Mxolisi crawled but still Mzwanele had no mercy on him and Mxolisi was hurt pretty bad even oh his legs. Zweli couldn't watch.

"Enough Mzwanele!" Zweli stopped him. "You don't get to tell me that," Mzwanele continuing.

"He bruise all over now," Vusumuzi intervened. 

Mzwanele looked at Vusumuzi with pity eyes because of his English. Mxolisi kept on getting up and Mzwanele was tired of hitting him. 

"I like the fact that you don't get enough, but that it for today. Lets go boys," said Mzwanele.

They left Mxolisi down and he crawled to class. He took his bag, walked slowly and saw Mary. His face had no bruises, he was hurt on his leg and stomach only. Mary saw Mxolisi walking slowly and came to help him out.

[Mxolisi groaned]

Mary suspected that this wasn't just football. "You look hurt, what happened?" she asked. "I pumped onto the goal post," he replied with lies. Mary knew that Mxolisi would say he was injured on the field and she didn't believe him. Mary helped Mxolisi to get in the car, Mxolisi was dizzy and he fainted in the car. Mary took him into the hospital unconscious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

470 184 31
Hellen, Nicole, Stacey and Jasmine are best friends with different personalities. where some find true love and some find betrayal in the name of lov...
522K 15.8K 60
"Please," I heard the boy say softly, interrupting my thoughts, but I didn't dare move closer to him. "Just let me explain." He pleaded me to stay wi...
78.2K 7.7K 54
"Why are you getting upset?" he asked. "Because everything is different now. Call it my lack of emotional intelligence, but I can't stand you!" "Wha...
3.7K 1K 49
She is the newbie, most people hate her but some people love her. She is complicated and very hard to understand but when you get to know her you fin...