A Wallflower's Bloom

Par enaganda

"Are you mad? I would never dream of courting Penelope Featherington." Brokenhearted from the words she heard... Plus

Chapter 1: London 1815
Chapter 2: Bridgerton House
Chapter 3: Cowper's Ball
Chapter 4: Twenty-four Letters
Chapter 5: Danbury Ball
Chapter 6: The Dances
Chapter 7: The Confrontation
Chapter 8: Calling Hours
Chapter 10: A Suitor's Gift
Chapter 11: Lesson One
Chapter 12: Realization
Chapter 13: Bridgerton Ball
Chapter 14: Lesson Learned
Chapter 15: An Invitation and A Letter
Chapter 16: Tea Party
Chapter 17: Confession
Chapter 18: The Queen's Ball
Chapter 19: Public Confession
Chapter 20: The Aftermath
Chapter 21: Royal Retreat
Chapter 22: A Brawl
Chapter 23: Repercussions
Chapter 24: A Vulnerable Gentleman
Chapter 25: The Long-Awaited Response
Chapter 26: Secret Revealed
Chapter 27: Welcome Back
Chapter 28: Bonding with the Mother-in-law
Chapter 29: The First Kiss
Chapter 30: The Honeymoon
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 9: Unexpected Tutor

2.9K 64 4
Par enaganda

Unexpected Tutor

Just as the Featherington ladies have finished their meal for lunch, another unannounced visitor had come knocking on their doors.

Briarly took it to himself to see who the caller is, and was not surprised to see Colin Bridgerton at his employ's footsteps.

"Is Miss Featherington in?" Colin asks the old butler.

Knowing that the man had been close with one of the household misses, Briarly lets him in and leads him to the main room. The butler then went to the dining hall, to inform his mistress on who the visitor was.

"Mister Bridgerton is here for the young miss, madam. He is on the wait at the main room." Briarly informs the dowager of Colin's arrival.

"Just what does he think he is doing here?!" Penelope thought to herself almost swearing to herself. She had a very good start for her day but now having the person who broke her heart makes everything melt down. Penelope could only blame her negligence as she forgot to give instructions to their servants not to let Colin Bridgerton in to their home.

Portia Featherington, followed by her daughters then went to the main room to see their unexpected neighbor. Her eyebrows arched as she asks the Bridgerton boy the reason of his presence.

"Mister Bridgerton, to what do we owe this visit?" There was a hint of sourness on the voice of the baroness, in which Colin could only accept humbly. He knew it was valid for them to make him feel he was unwelcome at their estate.

"Lady Featherington. I greet you a good afternoon. I-I.. I am here to express my apologies." Colin Bridgerton tried all his might not to stutter as he explains his presence in front of the notorious dowager. He could feel the eyes of Penelope's mother judging him to his core as she stares at him with narrowed eyes.

"Explain."

Colin offers to hand over the flowers he had brought to Penelope. But it was the latter's maid who received them on behalf of the young miss. Penelope just subtly took a glance of it and noticed that they were white Lilies of the Valley. The ginger-haired lady wondered if Colin intended those flowers for its meaning.

"It has come to my realization that I may have been irresponsible of the words my mouth has delivered about Penelope last year." Colin took a big gulp as he tried to admit his mistake in a way he could describe it lighter. As he recalled his own words, he quickly regretted to address Penelope by her Christian name. He could feel the intense gaze coming from Portia and Penelope as they try to control their annoyance on him. Prudence, who were also present could not care less as she takes a seat on one of the sofas not giving a damn on what is just going on.

"Harsh and malicious, you mean?" Portia worded the young man correctly. Penelope, who was just a step back from the dowager baroness, could not believe how her mother handles the scene right now.

Never had she imagined that her mama can confront a Bridgerton strikingly with eloquence. She had known that Portia have always admired the Bridgertons' status and had dreamed that one of them sisters were able to marry one of their sons. Penelope is surprised that her mama can stand with commanding presence in front of a member of that affluent family.

The man in question could only feel cold sweat running through the back of his neck. He thought of running away as he could not find any words to refute Lady Featherington's statement. Colin then finds himself trying to adjust the knot of his cravat getting some air. He could feel the tension rising up in the entire room. He had been at this household for numerous times before but never had he felt suffocated, more so in front of his dear friend Penelope.

But then, he remembered his mother's words. Violet had instructed him to profusely ask for Penelope's forgiveness. He had wronged the poor girl in so many ways. He had hurt her awfully when she was only ever so good to him. Penelope never deserved to be badmouthed the way he did her. He sincerely wanted to get her good graces back, to have her talk with him just like before, to have her respond to his letters, and to see her smile whenever they meet and cross eyes. He wanted to be her friend again. A friend that he lost just because of his ignorant words with Fife.

As he is a gentleman as he believes to be, Colin decided not to cower back and face his faults head on. If he could not get the Featheringtons' forgiveness the first time, he then would continue to show his sincerity until on their eyes, he is absolved of his crimes.

"I am truly at fault Lady Featherington. There are no words to excuse myself from what I have done really. But it is my truest intentions to make things right for your daughter Miss Featherington." Colin turns to face Penelope as he mentions her. All this time, Penelope had never given any word, the young miss just let the Bridgerton boy confront the fearsome and sharp-tongued baroness.

"And how do you plan to do that Mister Bridgerton? I believe those words that shamed my daughter can no longer be undone." Portia's tone of voice remained commanding as it echoes through the room. Her raspiness can not go unnoticed to Colin, and every minute he is in front of Penelope's mother was closer to him having a heart attack.

"I am well aware of the repercussions my words had brought Miss Featherington, and so I have a proposal I hope you all would accept."

Portia looks at the young man closely. She had intended to make things difficult for the boy as she knew what shame he had brought to her youngest's impression at the bachelors of the ton. But as ever, Colin has his undeniable charm working for persuasion.

"Elaborate." Was the single response coming from Lady Featherington's lips.

"As I know that Miss Penelope is eager to find a match this season, I would gladly employ my services to be of her assistance."

All three Featherington ladies' eyes widened up and turned to see his face as he said his words. Penelope could not fully understand what Colin meant about him giving her assistance, more so for Prudence.

Portia did not utter any word as the baroness just continued to stare at the Bridgerton boy, waiting for him to expound his proposal.

"It is unfortunate that Lord Featherington is no longer with us, and I understand how important it is to have a father-figure around to help Miss Featherington with the process of getting suitors." Colin cleared his throat as the mention of the word suitors came from his mouth. He had not planned yet how he would do that, but he knew better that Benedict's proposal of this would be something of value that the baroness would have to think over.

But before Lady Featherington could comment on his bold offer, Penelope had finally spoke. "Mister Bridgerton, you are saying that you will help me secure a husband. Is that what you mean?"

Colin froze for a moment as he heard Penelope's voice. Her tone was still icy cold as just like last night when she expressed her disappointment in him at the dance floor on Lady Danbury's ball. But he was thankful to hear her speak to him, his strength is beginning to be drained as he faces the formidable baroness on his own. Colin looks at Penelope's light blue eyes. Her voice and stare were so penetrating that he felt his knees would give up and just bend to ask her for forgiveness.

"That is quite right, Miss Featherington. I think I can be of help with sharing my assessment and tips on how to keep your suitors at bay." Colin confidently says as he gives a quick smile to Lady Featherington. Portia remained mum as she tries to weigh the benefits of Colin's proposal.

She knew too well how disadvantageous their situation is. They could just be easily played unknowingly by men of the ton as there were no man to protect them. And even though there were newfound confidence and charm on her youngest daughter Penelope, Portia knew that it will not be enough to secure a good marriage. She hates to admit that Colin Bridgerton's proposal is tempting and is hard to pass by.

But this year, Portia Featherington had learned some of her lessons. She no longer makes rash decisions on her own and tries to think things carefully. She is a mother, and she is all there is left to protect her three innocent daughters. Thank heavens Philippa is already married and have a husband by her side that could safeguard her from any harm.

Though she could feel herself saying yes to Colin's proposition, Portia tries to hold back and observe Penelope's stance on the young man's words. She noticed her daughter's expression became a little bit softer than when they first saw the Bridgerton boy on this room.

"Penelope, my dear. What do you think about Mister Bridgerton's offer?" Portia asked her youngest daughter.

Penelope took a few seconds before finally speaking. She looked up to her mama and gave her opinion on the matter.

"I do think that there are some valid points on Mister Bridgerton's proposition, mama. After all, it was him who shamed me in front of his friends at last year's ball. It would be fitting to have him help me secure a marriage in return."

Colin silently breathed a sigh of relief. He was nervous as he thought Penelope would brush off his idea and he would never have a chance to make things right for her. He still felt uneasy that she does not refer him by his Christian name. And her words still pierce his conscience guiltily. But at least, she agreed for him to help her. Now there is only one obstacle left in putting his plan to action; her mother Lady Featherington.

Portia sighed as she succumbed to the idea of the young Bridgerton. She knew better not to decline Colin's helping hands. After all, he is a Bridgerton. And Bridgertons have powerful connections among high society. It would be on their best interest if Colin would truly assist Penelope in getting a match for a husband. He may be able to introduce her daughter to prospective suitors or members of other affluent families in London, is what Portia Featherington imagines at this moment.

"Very well then. My daughter has spoken. You should be thankful of her good graces Mister Bridgerton."

For the first time since he felt like he was in a battlefield at the Featherington household, Colin smiled so widely that he asked the two ginger-haired ladies in front of him on their next steps.

"So, when can we start?" Colin excitedly asks. He looks at Penelope and Portia Featherington in between with smiles as he plans and anticipates his next visit. With helping her get suitors as a front, Colin can only imagine the times he can speak with his good friend Penelope freely. Thoughts of him trying to get their old relationship back, having the chance to share stories on his travel and have her laugh at his jokes makes Colin inspired to spend lessons with the young Featherington.

"I am too tired for the day, mama. Tomorrow would be much better, would it not?" Penelope suggested to her mother without even batting an eye to her former friend. She had loved Colin for most of her years but never could she easily forgive him for his snide remarks on her at her mama's ball last season. If ever she will truly let bygones be bygones between them, she will see to it that Colin would have a hard time first.

Penelope Featherington had excused herself before the final words are said to the agreement between her family and Colin Bridgerton. She does not want to see the man off, and she had already exhausted all of her energy with the morning calls. Prudence, seeing as there is no reason for her to stay at the main room any longer, followed her younger sister and left their mother alone with the Bridgerton boy.

Colin's expression showed a hint of sadness as he sees Penelope leave and said goodbye without even looking at his face. He felt pain in his heart as he is not used to being disregarded by her. Over the years, he saw her with all smiles whenever they chance upon another on the park, on the Bridgerton's house and onto the nightly balls. He can only hope that with his plan of helping her secure a marriage partner, he can have his old friend back.

"Then it is settled, Mister Bridgerton. I will accept your offer and have you tutor my dear Penelope about the works on courtship." Portia brings up her sharp gaze towards Colin once again.

"You are to start her lessons here in our estate, always in the presence of a chaperone." Lady Featherington's tone was very serious as she gives the strict order. She could vividly remember the sight of her daughter and Colin Bridgerton being alone on their study at their family's ball last season.

Portia does not want to have any sort of scandal or rumors to come around Penelope. Especially with Colin involved. He had already brought her too much shame with last year's incident. Now that Penelope had started to grow her presence in the ton, she would do all things necessary to protect her from ruin, at any cost.

"Of course, Lady Featherington. I will make it a point to have our lessons within proper decorum." Colin promised the dowager baroness.

With that, Colin bade her goodbye as he walked himself out of the Featheringtons' estate. He took a heavy breath out as he finally felt the air taking the steps out from their doors. He tightens the knot of his cravat and pulls down his waistcoat to straighten out its fit as he walks back to his own home across the street.

Violet Bridgerton, who had been looking at their window, smiles to herself. Ever since she saw her son entered their neighbor's doors, she had been restless and stayed at the same spot wanting to observe how Colin's visit went. Noticing that Colin confidently comes out from the Featheringtons, made her believe that he was successful on the first step of making amends with Penelope.

"Thankfully." Violet said to herself.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

204K 6.8K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
222K 5.6K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
1.6M 47.7K 54
"𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒊𝒏, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐�...
118K 2.3K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...