Meet Me After Class

By LeighFrankie

So who will it be for this hopelessly unromantic girl? The brooding best friend? Or the young and unquestiona... More

Meet Me After Class
Chapter 1: 18th Birthday
Chapter 2: Don't Talk to Strangers
Chapter 3: Back to Megan and her Boobs
Chapter 4: The Substitute Teacher
Chapter 5: Hiding In Plain Sight
Chapter 6: Where's the Body?
Chapter 7: Oh Crap!
Chapter 8: RIP Daisy
Chapter 9: A Peace Offering
Chapter 10: The Bet
Chapter 11: Just Choosing to Do the Right Thing
Chapter 12: Passing Notes
Chapter 13: Red Velvet Cupcake
Chapter 14: Audition Jitters
Chapter 15: The Audition
Chapter 16: Lines and Lyrics
Chapter 17: The Cast
Chapter 18: Mom, Dad, Meet Mr. Scott
Chapter 19: About That Soap
Chapter 20: Field Trip
Chapter 21: Pizza and Milkshake
Chapter 22: About Jay
Chapter 23: New Friends
Chapter 24: Unmarked Trail
Chapter 25: The Cabin
Chapter 26: Crazy Storm and First Kiss
Chapter 27: The Day After
Chapter 28: Second Act and Getting Sidetracked
Chapter 29: See You
Chapter 30: The Elephant In The Room
Chapter 31: Not a Movie Date
Chapter 32: After Shift Kisses
Chapter 33: This is NOT a Date!
Chapter 34: The Acceptance Letter
Chapter 35: Merry Christmas
Chapter 36: Adam's Birthday, Penny's Party
Chapter 37: A Dilemma
Chapter 38: The Play
Chapter 39: Penny and Melissa
Chapter 40: Heart V Brain
Chapter 41: Penny's Confession
Chapter 42: Things Slowly Changing
Chapter 43: Confusing Times
Chapter 44: Say Yes to Prom
Chapter 45: Prom Night, Finally!
Chapter 46: Slow Dance
Chapter 47: The Longest 30 minutes
Chapter 48: In a Monochrome Haze
Chapter 49: An in-depth Relationship Assessment with Penny
Chapter 50: A Ticket to New York
Chapter 51: To Go or Not To Go
Chapter 52: Graduation Day
Chapter 53: The Longest 10 Minutes
Chapter 54: Off She Goes
Chapter 55: New York, New York
Chapter 57: The College Canvas
Chapter 58: 2 Years Later
Chapter 59: Return to Pinecrest
Chapter 60: A Surprise Call
Chapter 61: One Year!
Chapter 62: The Perpetual VIP Pass
Chapter 63: Adam in Nepal
Chapter 64: The Cabin Part 2
Chapter 65: A Gap Year
Chapter 66: Closure
Epilogue

Chapter 56: Her Biggest Fan

15 1 0
By LeighFrankie

So, it's a wrap...

My whirlwind summer internship at Urban Oasis Playhouse flew by in the blink of an eye. Every day was a thrilling flurry of rehearsals, set building, community outreach, and lots and lots of coffee runs.

"Hey there, fireball! I've got a nice easy one for you today," Tommy would say with a grin.

"Oh yeah? What's that?" I'd ask skeptically.

"Just a couple of coffee runs for the production team meeting. Sixteen ventis, a couple fancy lattes, and one green tea. Think you can handle it?"

Tommy turned out to be an incredible mentor, generously teaching me the ins and outs of running a small theater.

"The most important thing," he said, leaning back, "is to write dialogue that actors can really sink their teeth into. The words need to just flow off the tongue naturally."

I nodded, scribbling notes. "How do you achieve that? Just hours of revision?"

"Revision is key, but it also helps to read it out loud as you're writing. Get a feel for the rhythms and cadences."

He pulled a draft from his desk drawer. "Like this new scene I'm working on. The wife's motivations aren't coming across strongly enough." He cleared his throat and began reading the part aloud, his voice taking on the characters.

I soaked up every scrap of wisdom from him and the other creatives, feeling myself grow.

"Thanks for jumping in today, Wendy. We'd still be swimming in this sea of clothes without you," the costume designer told me one afternoon.

"For sure, happy to help! I love getting to work with all the different costume pieces," I replied.

"You've got a good eye. Here, take this vest with you and practice some hand stitches on it before next time."

The two months ended up being hugely informative. And not just professionally—I experienced a 360-degree life change, from riding the subway alone ("You're cutting it pretty close again, Wendy! Everything ok?" Tommy would ask as I rushed in late) to trying Thai food for the first time to navigating NYC rent prices.

"Load-in?" I asked the stagehand one evening as she laughed about the upcoming week. "You'll see, young intern...you'll see," she replied mysteriously.

Throughout the chaos and excitement, I made sure to call my family every Sunday. Mom, Dad, and Belle wanted full details on the latest shows and Mr. Scott's sister's trendy East Village neighborhood.

"Hello? Sweetie, it's so good to hear your voice!" Mom answered cheerfully. "How's the internship going? Is Mr. Scott taking good care of you?"

"It's been amazing, Mom! Mr. Scott has been incredibly welcoming," I assured her.

"Please thank him again for letting you stay at his sister's apartment," Mom replied. "Those New York accommodations can't be cheap. We appreciate him making you comfortable out there."

The line crackled as Dad's voice joined the call. "My baby, the New York intern! You have to tell me about all the bakeries you've visited so far."

I laughed. Typical Dad. "Well, you're in luck - I've got a list going of the best spots to try!"

"Yes!" he exclaimed. "Any unique New York baked goods? Funky donuts, crazy cupcakes? I need all the details for recipe ideas."

Before I could respond, Belle's voice piped up. "And what about the Upper East Side?? Have you seen the Met Steps from Gossip Girl? Or Grand Central Terminal? You have to go explore!"

Penny and I video chatted when we could, swapping stories of our new west coast and east coast adventures. She was flourishing in LA, already scoring some tattoo gigs. Meanwhile, I was finding my artistic community.

"Hey, rockstar! How's LA treating the new tattoo queen?" I asked.

She spun the camera to show off her latest work - an intricate mandala design covering someone's calf. "Like you wouldn't believe! This new shop owner, Logan, is from a tiny Texas town like us.He graduated from college about three years ago and now he's giving me a real chance."

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you," I gushed. "You were too talented for Fred to appreciate."

Penny nodded. "Seriously. Anyway, enough about me—how's the big internship? Are they still keeping you busy with coffee runs?" She laughed her trademark cackle.

"You know it!" I joined her laughter. "But it's been incredible. I'm learning so much about the industry."

"I'll bet. And hey, has Mr. Scott put a ring on it yet?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

I rolled my eyes. "Very funny. Outside Pinecrest, he's just a really cool, regular guy, you know. "

"If you say so." Penny fanned herself dramatically.

As closing night loomed, saying goodbye to Urban Oasis' colorful characters and energetic environment made my heart twinge. Mr. Scott took me out to his friend's bar to celebrate an internship well done. While Mr. Scott ordered a drink, I opted for ginger ale.

"So you're drinking?" I asked.

"Just one drink!" Mr. Scott said sternly as we sat down.

I laughed. "Famous last words!"

One drink turned into...well, by the time we left, Mr. Scott was leaning heavily on my shoulder, belting showtunes at the top of his lungs. I steered him down the sidewalk, laughing myself silly while feeling surprised to see this unrestrained side of him. But then I reminded myself: Mr. Scott was still 27 after all—mid or late, it didn't matter; he was still young and enjoying life.

"Mr. Scott..." I tried to help him balance as he attempted a wobbly pirouette.

"Ben! For the hundredth time, please, Ben!" He swatted my arm, missing and nearly toppling over. "Call me, Ben!" he slurred. "Listen, I cut loose once in a while!" He attempted jazz hands, which quickly turned into flailing.

I caught him chuckling. "Fine. Though at this rate, you'll be 'cutting loose' straight into that fire hydrant."

"Shhhhh," he hissed, his pointer finger bouncing all over the place. "Imma lil bit drunk but also...living my best lifeeee!"

He tried to sashay away confidently, only to trip over his own feet again. I just smiled and steered him safely the rest of the way home.

As I guided the stumbling Mr. Scott, seeing him like this was both startling and illuminating. After getting to know him better, I no longer felt that nervous crush feeling around him. Instead, a friendly affection and understanding blossomed after glimpsing this hidden fun-loving part of him.

Mr. Scott was more than just my high school teacher; in letting loose his inhibitions, he allowed me to see a new dimension to who he was as a person.

The next morning, as he drove me to the airport, he complained that his head was pounding. I teased him about the night before, and he just laughed and pulled me in for a quick hug.

So, yes. We're casually hugging now. Oookay.

"You're awesome, Wendy," he whispered. "Small town and big city. Never forget that spark, okay?"

"Yes. And thanks for everything, Mr. Scott."

"Please, for the last time, call me Ben! And..." he paused before taking a deep breath. "I still like you. Okay? Don't you forget that."

I smiled bashfully. "See you when I see you, Ben."

"I'll keep in touch."

"Okay."

Half an hour later, I was Pinecrest bound.

I was wiped out after the flight back to Pinecrest, but I still managed an enthusiastic smile when I spotted my family bouncing eagerly behind the airport barricade.

Belle was the first to reach me, tackle-hugging me fiercely. "Freaking finally!" she said into my shoulder. "That was the longest two months ever!"

I laughed as she pulled back, her ponytail skewed.

Mom squeezed me tight next while Dad kissed my hair. "Let me look at you!" She gushed, studying me at arm's length. "Seems you grew up even more in the big city!"

I started to respond, but a huge yawn split my face instead. Dad chuckled, taking my carry-on bag. "Plenty of time for Wendy's New York stories later. Let's get you home to rest first."

I spent the next 24 hours crashed in my blessedly quiet bedroom, recovering from Big Apple sensory overload. When I finally emerged the day after, we headed to Marcy's for a celebratory family lunch.

And as I slid into our regular corner booth, poignant memories flooded me too. The last time we went here was with Adam and his family. We'd awkwardly sat through a family dinner, tensions high.

I could still picture him walking out with a very hurt look on his face. I shook my head slightly.

As Belle entertained us with sassy commentary and Dad stole fries off my plate, familiar affection swelled in my chest. However far I ventured, this right here would always be home.

After lunch, I headed to my bedroom, hit by another wave of homesickness at the familiar Periwinkle walls. I'd be packing up for college in another week. It's hard to believe I'd soon vacate my room again.

With nothing else to do, I started sorting through old trinkets and clothes. I wanted to travel light for dorm life. Soon, I was sitting cross-legged on the floor, surrounded by piles of memories.

At the back of my bottom drawer, my fingers closed around a flat box. My breath caught. It was the gift from Adam—the one he'd silently handed after we fought after I told him Mr. Scott had kissed me. In all the drama, I'd stashed it away unopened.

Heart pounding, I gently lifted the lid. Nestled inside was a round silver pendant on a delicate chain. I angled it into the light, squinting at the tiny engraved words: I'll Always Be Your Biggest Fan.

My vision instantly blurred with tears. It had been over two months since I had walked away on Adam. But seeing this, his unconditional support sucker-punched me in the gut.

I fastened the necklace around my neck, a fragile hope taking root. Maybe Adam still cared, even a little. Enough to mend what my choices broke?

I had to try. Impulsively, I ran down to the living room, grabbing my mom's car keys off the key holder. Twenty minutes later, I slid to a stop outside Brown's, my heart knocking.

The sight of the familiar, sun-faded awning sent nostalgia rushing through me. If Adam wasn't inside, he'd be at home.

The cheerful bell jangled as I stepped inside. To my surprise, Audrey looked up from behind the counter, not Adam. She broke into a smile.

"Wendy! You're back!"

"Where is Adam?" I asked right away, glancing anxiously around.

Audrey's face fell. "Oh, um, he and Jay have already left."

My stomach dropped even as I asked, "Left? For where?"

"Nepal," Audrey said gently. "They started a months-long backpacking and volunteer trip two days after you flew to New York."

The floor seemed to fall away beneath me. How did I forget about Nepal? He already said he'd go, and after what happened between us, of course he left as soon as he could.

I gripped the counter, shock spiraling into despair. I idiotically raced here, expecting us to talk things out.

"I thought you knew. I mean, you guys planned it in the first place. Right?"

Audrey looked at me as humiliation and heartbreak flooded me.

"Are you okay, Wendy?"

"Yes," I choked out, nodding. As I trudged back to my mom's car, I clasped the necklace around my neck tight in my fist, hot tears spilling freely.

I missed Adam, and now he's gone. My best friend, who knew my dreams before I did, and I'd left him behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 16.9K 62
-"Fuck I can't wait to taste you." He says under his heavy breath. Excitement courses through my body as Tyler wraps my legs around his waist so he...
1.8K 113 23
**𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄!** 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐲 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫... 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 �...
38.1M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
594K 11.6K 53
"Forbidden love provides happiness when there is no happiness." He is my teacher, i am his student. This is wrong but why does it feel so good? Love...