Meet Me After Class

By LeighFrankie

So who will it be for this hopelessly unromantic girl? The brooding best friend? Or the young and unquestiona... More

Meet Me After Class
Chapter 1: 18th Birthday
Chapter 2: Don't Talk to Strangers
Chapter 3: Back to Megan and her Boobs
Chapter 4: The Substitute Teacher
Chapter 5: Hiding In Plain Sight
Chapter 6: Where's the Body?
Chapter 7: Oh Crap!
Chapter 8: RIP Daisy
Chapter 9: A Peace Offering
Chapter 10: The Bet
Chapter 11: Just Choosing to Do the Right Thing
Chapter 12: Passing Notes
Chapter 13: Red Velvet Cupcake
Chapter 14: Audition Jitters
Chapter 15: The Audition
Chapter 16: Lines and Lyrics
Chapter 17: The Cast
Chapter 18: Mom, Dad, Meet Mr. Scott
Chapter 19: About That Soap
Chapter 20: Field Trip
Chapter 21: Pizza and Milkshake
Chapter 22: About Jay
Chapter 23: New Friends
Chapter 24: Unmarked Trail
Chapter 25: The Cabin
Chapter 26: Crazy Storm and First Kiss
Chapter 27: The Day After
Chapter 28: Second Act and Getting Sidetracked
Chapter 29: See You
Chapter 30: The Elephant In The Room
Chapter 31: Not a Movie Date
Chapter 32: After Shift Kisses
Chapter 33: This is NOT a Date!
Chapter 34: The Acceptance Letter
Chapter 35: Merry Christmas
Chapter 36: Adam's Birthday, Penny's Party
Chapter 37: A Dilemma
Chapter 38: The Play
Chapter 39: Penny and Melissa
Chapter 40: Heart V Brain
Chapter 41: Penny's Confession
Chapter 42: Things Slowly Changing
Chapter 43: Confusing Times
Chapter 44: Say Yes to Prom
Chapter 45: Prom Night, Finally!
Chapter 46: Slow Dance
Chapter 47: The Longest 30 minutes
Chapter 48: In a Monochrome Haze
Chapter 49: An in-depth Relationship Assessment with Penny
Chapter 50: A Ticket to New York
Chapter 51: To Go or Not To Go
Chapter 52: Graduation Day
Chapter 54: Off She Goes
Chapter 55: New York, New York
Chapter 56: Her Biggest Fan
Chapter 57: The College Canvas
Chapter 58: 2 Years Later
Chapter 59: Return to Pinecrest
Chapter 60: A Surprise Call
Chapter 61: One Year!
Chapter 62: The Perpetual VIP Pass
Chapter 63: Adam in Nepal
Chapter 64: The Cabin Part 2
Chapter 65: A Gap Year
Chapter 66: Closure
Epilogue

Chapter 53: The Longest 10 Minutes

18 0 0
By LeighFrankie

So Adam left...

And now, an uncomfortable silence hung over the table. But our families ultimately brushed it off and resumed conversing lightly, letting the tension dissipate.

"More wine, anyone?" Dad offered, trying to keep things positive. Mrs. Brown and my mom happily accepted refills as they moved on to reminiscing about Adam and me as giggling grade-schoolers. I began again to push food around my plate quietly.

When they'd finally finished their food, mom and Mrs. Brown congratulated each other heartily on successfully getting their kids through high school.

"I'm so very proud of Adam and Wendy," Mrs. Brown said, giving me a quick hug. "I'm sorry for Adam running off like that. He's been rather distant lately, but I'm sure it's just senior year stress."

I nodded politely as her eyes filled with concern. "Come to think of it, I haven't seen you around the shop much anymore either. Is everything alright between you two?"

I hesitated, totally unsure how to respond. "Oh yeah, we've just had different extracurriculars and friend groups this year, I guess," I fumbled. "Busy time of life, you know?"

Mrs. Brown studied me closely for a second as I avoided her gaze. Luckily, my mom swooped in.

"Teenagers and their moods—what can you do?" she laughed lightly, patting Mrs. Brown's shoulder.

"Well, Adam seems to be spending all his time with that Jay boy lately," Mrs. Brown added, shaking her head. "They've become quite attached at the hip!"

"Yeah, Jay is even going on Adam's big trip to Nepal," Audrey added.

"Oh! He is? I suppose that's why they've gotten so close," I offered politely.

Mrs. Brown leaned in with a whisper. "To be frank, I've heard rather unseemly stories about that kid getting mixed up in street fights and such. I worry he's a bad influence on Adam with their constant gallivanting."

"Gallivanting? Hmmm... I don't think Adam gallivants." I shifted uncomfortably, thinking back to that night Adam had brought Jay, face bloodied, to my house, knowing my parents would disapprove if they found out.

"I know Jay seems kind of rough around the edges," I said carefully. "But he's actually a good guy deep down. He just comes from a part of town where it's hard to avoid trouble if you aren't careful."

Mrs. Brown looked thoughtful as I continued gently, "Family stuff makes it tough too. I don't think he has much guidance at home. But he's always been nice..." I trailed off, not wanting to reveal too much from that night.

"Hmm, well, when you put it that way, I suppose I shouldn't judge the boy too quickly," Mrs. Brown admitted. An awkward beat passed before my mom swooped in to change topics.

I exhaled silently with relief.

After dinner, I gazed silently out the car window on the ride home, emotions swirling. My thoughts bounced from Adam's pained expression at the mention of my New York plans to the unresolved tension still hanging between us. Then my mind turned to Mr. Scott; I still hadn't confirmed whether or not I was accepting his internship offer and plane ticket.

And we were supposed to leave in just a few days!

As streetlights flickered by in the dark, I felt a strong urge to talk to Adam before I left, even if he wanted to avoid hashing things out. The idea of traveling to New York with this rift still wedged silently between us suddenly didn't sit right with me at all.

I hemmed and hawed, arguing with myself internally. It was late; he clearly didn't want to discuss topics he preferred burying. Showing up unannounced would be awkward as hell. But leaving town, not knowing where we stood? That seemed much worse.

Just as we approached the turn-off towards our neighborhood, I made a split decision.

"Hey Dad, could you actually drop me off at Adam's on your way?" I asked quickly. "I just remembered that I texted him I'd return a book I borrowed."

"Oh, so you guys still text each other?" Belle commented, followed by a small, teasing smile.

My dad's eyes flickered at me in the rearview mirror curiously. "It's almost 9 o'clock."

"Yeah, I know. But I feel bad. It's his favorite book," I explained vaguely. "I can just grab an Uber home."

My dad shrugged agreeably. "Alright, sweetie."

As we turned down Adam's street, my heartbeat quickened, and I was still second-guessing my impulsive decision. But it was too late to turn back now! Time for another long overdue heart-to-heart, whether Adam felt prepared for one or not.

We pulled up to the curb outside Adam's house. I immediately noticed his mom's car wasn't in the driveway, but I could see light coming out of the window in his room. His mom and Audrey must have gone somewhere after dinner. Somehow, the idea of Adam being home alone made this impromptu visit feel even more nerve-wracking.

"Are you sure you don't want us to wait, honey?" my mom asked, twisting around in her seat to glance back at me.

"Oh, no, I'm okay. I think I'm going to hang around for a bit," I said, hoping I sounded more confident than I felt.

"Alright, if you say so. Adam's a good kid, and I'm sure you two can work things out," Dad said supportively as I unlatched my seatbelt and placed my gown and cap next to Belle.

I smiled tightly, my stomach flipping. "Well, we've been just really busy with other stuff, Dad, and well...just thought of catching up with him too. So... I'll see you guys at home later!"

With an encouraging little wave, my parents pulled slowly back onto the road. As soon as their taillights faded from view, my bravado drained away. Suddenly, Adam's house loomed tall and imposing behind me in the dark.

I took a deep breath and shuffled up the front walkway.

C'mon, Wendy, pull it together! I silently psyched myself up. Just march right in there and hash this out like ripping off a Band-Aid.

I hesitantly turned the doorknob, half hoping it would stick stubbornly. But no such luck. I slowly pushed the front door open and slipped into the silent foyer on jello legs. Here goes nothing...

I crept towards the living room, my heels sinking into the plush carpet. The house was quiet except for the muted sound of an electric guitar drifting from upstairs. I smiled slightly, despite my nerves. Typical Adam, unwinding with some moodily strummed chords in his room.

As I reached the bottom of the staircase, my palms started sweating. I paused on the first step, my heart pounding now.

Maybe I should text first instead of barging in?

But before I could overthink this anymore, I pushed myself forward slowly. Each creak of the steps under my feet sounded deafening.

At last I reached Adam's closed door, angsty rock music leakage growing louder. I hesitated, hands shaking a bit more as I contemplated knocking. No, too awkward. Just go for it!

So before I lost courage, I swiftly turned the knob and pushed the door open.

I froze in stunned surprise as soon as I stepped inside. There was Adam sitting casually on his unmade bed, his guitar plugged into a rumbling amp. But instead of his dress clothes from earlier, he was wearing just a loose, low-slung pair of grey sweatpants.

No shirt.

My eyes couldn't help but widen, taking in his lean, bare torso—this was a first. His muscular arms glistened slightly with sweat, and his dark hair was endearingly disheveled. He looked up at me with an intense expression of shock. We stared speechlessly at each other as my heart pounded.

Then I looked away. Something about seeing carefree, boyishly handsome Adam so exposed and unguarded made me inexplicably nervous. I suddenly felt like an intruder trespassing into unfamiliar, intimate territory.

I cleared my throat awkwardly to break the tense silence.

"Um, h-hi," I stammered finally, shyly meeting his penetrating gaze again.

I fidgeted with my hands, unsure what to do now. He didn't tell me to leave yet, so I took that as a sign to stay put. But the nervous energy swirling between us was definitely unfamiliar. Just standing here with a shirtless him was enough to shortcircuit my brain!

"Why are you here?" he asked bluntly, breaking the awkward silence that hung between us. His eyes were still boring intensely into mine.

Still flustered from unexpectedly catching him shirtless, I attempted to collect myself and explain. "The trip to New York—I just wanted to tell you about that before I—"

But he cut me off sharply. "Save it, Wendy. It's your life; do whatever you want."

I winced at his dismissiveness but pressed on desperately. "Adam, please..." My voice almost cracked with emotion. Then I took a cautious step towards him. "I know things have been weird for a while. But I miss you. And I want you back in my life."

Wordlessly, his expression softened the tiniest bit.

Then he stood up and closed the space between us with two long strides. Before I realized what was happening, he grasped my face firmly in his hands and brought his lips crashing down onto mine.

Whoa!

At first, I froze in complete shock as he kissed me with such urgency. But instinct soon took over, and I melted into his embrace, my eyes fluttering shut. He was kissing me hard, advancing as I retreated, until my back met his closet.

Breathless moments later, he broke the kiss but kept his forehead pressed to mine.

"Don't go to New York with him, Wendy," he murmured, his eyes searching mine desperately.

I blinked hard, and somehow I sputtered, "I'm sorry."

With a pained look, he brought his lips desperately back to mine, as though trying to physically stop those awful words. He was kissing with a hunger that spun my brain into mush.

But seriously, since when did Adam kiss like a leading man in the romance novels under my bed?

As his lips gently trailed my jaw, rational thoughts fizzled out. My nerves sizzled everywhere he touched. I swallowed a definite squeak when they reached my neck.

Wait a minute! When did Adam get so bold?

My toes curled in my sneakers involuntarily. And I couldn't bring myself to stop him, and that terrified me. I was melting faster than ice cream in July.

I swallowed hard and was lightheaded. Yup, definitely going to pass out here.

A war waged in my head while tingles battled up my spine. His mouth found mine again in a deep kiss I helplessly sank into. And he didn't stop until I was gasping.

Darn his intoxicating lips and the way they obliterated my common sense! It took all my willpower to ease back, panting.

"Adam..."

"Please, Wendy," he implored, his voice cracking as he cradled my face in his hands. "Don't break my heart again and leave."

Again?

I wanted nothing more than to melt into his fevered kisses and pretend the future didn't exist. But the dream of New York—the chance to discover what I could become—called to me.

My eyes opened to see his pale green ones staring intensely back at me. My heart was split down the middle. "Adam, I'm..." I finally breathed.

He rested his forehead against mine. "Please don't do this."

I squeezed my eyes shut against the tide of pain. I had thought saying goodbye would be hard. I hadn't realized it would shred my soul.

"I have to," I finally choked out.

Bewilderment filled his eyes with heart-shattering pain. I braced against the magnetic pull towards his lips again, but this time he took a step backward, and confusion and hurt swam in his eyes.

"Please believe me when I say that my decision to go to New York has nothing to do with Mr. Scott."

But Adam looked away, then walked towards his bed. Once he settled down, he kept his gaze lowered. As I stood there, I waited for him to break the silence with any words at all, but there was only silence.

Eventually, I turned away, leaving a part of my heart shattered on the floor behind me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

333K 11.1K 53
My whole life is 'have to.' I have to work full-time to pay the bills and keep food on the table. I have to finish college for a chance at a bette...
38.1M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
1.6K 158 29
• 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐘 𝐓𝐑𝐔𝐄 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 • "What's your name?" I asked. "Damien," he said with his deep voice. I did not expect his voice to be...
10.2K 344 36
"If you loved me, I wouldn't be a secret." °•°•°•° Paige is the luckiest girl in the world...according to her and maybe every girl in Bishop High-tha...