A Wallflower's Bloom

By enaganda

"Are you mad? I would never dream of courting Penelope Featherington." Brokenhearted from the words she heard... More

Chapter 1: London 1815
Chapter 2: Bridgerton House
Chapter 3: Cowper's Ball
Chapter 4: Twenty-four Letters
Chapter 5: Danbury Ball
Chapter 6: The Dances
Chapter 8: Calling Hours
Chapter 9: Unexpected Tutor
Chapter 10: A Suitor's Gift
Chapter 11: Lesson One
Chapter 12: Realization
Chapter 13: Bridgerton Ball
Chapter 14: Lesson Learned
Chapter 15: An Invitation and A Letter
Chapter 16: Tea Party
Chapter 17: Confession
Chapter 18: The Queen's Ball
Chapter 19: Public Confession
Chapter 20: The Aftermath
Chapter 21: Royal Retreat
Chapter 22: A Brawl
Chapter 23: Repercussions
Chapter 24: A Vulnerable Gentleman
Chapter 25: The Long-Awaited Response
Chapter 26: Secret Revealed
Chapter 27: Welcome Back
Chapter 28: Bonding with the Mother-in-law
Chapter 29: The First Kiss
Chapter 30: The Honeymoon
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 7: The Confrontation

3.3K 84 23
By enaganda

The Confrontation

Never have Penelope Featherington imagined how tiring it would be to dance consecutively for each song the orchestra plays. But she dares not to complaint. For her three seasons being out in the society, this is the first she had danced so many. And this makes her and her mother anticipate chances of having suitors.

After the foxtrot ended, Penelope was delivered by a Mister Marcus Anderson to her mama who had been patiently sitting on one of the sofas at the west wing. Just as she was handed a glass of lemonade by one of the wait staff who had been circling around the hall, Portia inquires her about her time spent at the refreshments area.

"Was it Lord Debling, you are speaking with earlier?" Lady Featherington whispers loudly at her youngest daughter. Prudence was nowhere around them as she remains at the dance floor escorted by a Mister Robert Huxley.

"Yes, mama. I was fortunate to meet him tonight."

"What did the two of you talk about?" Portia inquired as she had known that Penelope had spent a considerable amount of time at the refreshments table earlier. Since the Queen's announcement of her daughter being the emerald of the season, she had tried to observe closely and monitor Penelope's activities. Now that her daughter is subject to the ton's attention, she would like to ensure that no scandal of any sort will befall upon their family.

"A lot of things, mama. He asked about my opinions about matters and asked for a dance."

Portia Featheirngton's eyes widened in shock as she heard Penelope's last words.

"I beg your pardon?" The dowager Baroness asks as to have her daughter repeat what she just said.

"I said, he asked for a dance mama."

"A dance? Are you sure? That Lord Debling?" Portia still could not believe until she saw the proof that Penelope presented.

"Yes, mama. He wrote his name for the final Waltz." Penelope raising up her left wrist to show her mother the list of names written on her dance card.

"Oh, Penelope! My emerald daughter!" Portia hugged her daughter tightly which made the young lady bewildered.

"Is everything alright, mama?" Penelope curiously asks. Her mother rarely hugs her, especially more when they are in public.

"Oh Penelope! Nothing better than this! To think you would get asked by a lord just after becoming an emerald. I am so proud of you!" Portia continued to hug her daughter as she expresses her joy on tonight's turn of events.

Penelope realized how big of an impact is brought upon by the Queen's bestowed title. Her fingers unconsciously reach the extravagant piece hanging on her neck, feeling the emerald gems adorned with diamonds.

However, the young Featherington's brief rest was interrupted when the music started again. There are two more dances left before the night finally ends. And just as she was about to check whose name is to pick her up, a familiar scent and voice come up to their sofa.

"May I take this dance, Miss Featherington?" Colin Bridgerton stands tall offering his hand for Penelope to take. There were both ice cold stares coming both from Penelope and Portia Featherington. It was existent on their eyes that they do not want to have this dance between him and Penelope. But there is nothing that can be done.

Penelope could easily decline his hand right now, as she had already finished most of the dances on her card. But if she will do so, she would have to forfeit the last dance after Colin, which was reserved for Lord Thomas Debling. And as he is the most important dance partner for her tonight, Penelope Featherington had to accept the hand that was offered by her childhood crush.

"Surely, Mister Bridgerton."

The red-haired lady reached out her hand as Colin takes her away to the dance floor. It was their turn for the country dance.

"Is something wrong Pen, between us I mean?" Colin asks his childhood friend as they start the steps for the dance.
"Whatever you mean Mister Bridgerton?" Colin shows an annoyed look as he once again hears her call him by his family name.

"I wrote to you this summer, as I always do. Why, you did not respond. Admittedly, very few did. But if you are going to make me say it out loud, I miss you." He leads Penelope for a quick turn required by the song.

"You miss me? You miss me but you would never court me, is that correct?" Penelope's icy tone was so penetrating that Colin could feel his spine shiver. He did not expect to hear such response from his friend Miss Featherington. It was then he realized it clearly. The way Benedict hinted for him to speak with Penelope so he'll know, the way his mother Violet Bridgerton wants him to take distance away from Pen, and the reason why Penelope Featherington have not made any single response to all of his letters overseas.

She must have found out about his conversation with Fife and the others last year at the Featherington ball, Colin thought.

"Pen.. I-I.." Before Colin could fully explain himself, the red-haired Featherington continued to vent out her disappointment and anger to her friend.

"I've overheard you, at mama's ball last season. Telling everyone how you would never ever court Penelope Featherington." There was a hint of sadness on the eyes of Penelope as she uttered back the words that haunted her all summer. Colin had no words to say as he looks at his friend's face guiltily as they continued to make the turns for the dance.

"Of course, you would never court me. I am the laughingstock of the ton even if I change my entire wardrobe." Colin could feel the pain from Penelope's voice. Water starts to form her eyes as she relives the memories of her being made fun of by Cressida and the laughter from Colin and his friends last season.

She continues, "It just never occurred to me that you of all people would be so cruel."

And with that last statement, Penelope Featherington let go of Colin's arms as the music had finally ended. The dance had come to a stop and both of them stood still at the center of the ballroom with Colin Bridgerton being speechless from the realization that he had hurt his friend.

Water continues to form in Penelope's eyes as she has to face the pain in confronting Colin Bridgerton. She wanted to remove herself away from him but she could not easily do so. She would have to be delivered by her mama's side after the dance as it is improper to leave the dance floor by her own. But Colin Bridgerton just stood still in front of her, silent and stoned as he could not dare say any word to explain his statements from last year's ball.

Before Penelope could swallow her pride and ask Colin to bring her to Lady Featherington, a manly voice came to her rescue.

"May I take you away for the next dance, my lady." Penelope looked up to see a golden-haired man with a beard smiling warmly to her. His hand extends to her as to offer her escape from the dance floor. At that time, Penelope Featherington could not think of any words how to describe this man and his godly timing.

"I would love to, Lord Debling." Penelope then gave a quick bow to Colin as she leaves the floor with her hand by Thomas' Debling arms. Colin Bridgerton had no choice but to leave the floor as well, guilty with the pain he had caused his good friend Penelope. The third Bridgerton son then went to the corner where his mother Violet and Benedict stood as they witnessed what had happened.

"You all right brother?" Benedict asks his younger sibling,

"N-No.. I-I... Penelope.." Colin could not find the exact words on how to explain what just happened to his mother and brother.

Violet, being the all-knowing matriarch as she is, hushed her son to remain a gentleman for the rest of the evening.

"Hush now, my son. We can talk of this later. We have Lady Danbury's ball to finish."

Colin understood what his mother had intended for him to do. He remained silent and tried to look dignified as a Bridgerton could be. Wanting to clear up some of his thoughts, he then went to the snacks area to take a bite of the sandwiches and eclairs plated there.

"Do you think Colin will be alright, mother?" Benedict asks Violet.

"He should be. Now that he knows, he would think of how to make things right for our poor Pen." Violet hopes as she looks at the young red-haired lady being escorted by the Earl of Beverley.

"That he should do." Benedict said agreeing to his mother.

"Pardon my intrusion, but are you well Miss Featherington?" Thomas Debling asks Penelope as they reach the sides where Lady Portia Featherington is. Pen's mother acknowledged her daughter's return but turned a step away as she continued chatting with other mamas present at the ball.

"I am well, my Lord. Is something the matter?"

"Nothing, I just could not help but notice how tense you were at the floor when the song ended." Penelope felt embarrassed as she has no idea how she looked while venting her anger out on Colin. She was able to avoid getting her tears down just as Lord Debling brought her away from the Bridgerton boy.

"My apologies, Lord Debling. We are just not on the best of terms with Mister Bridgerton."

The Earl of Beverley looked at the red-haired lady closely.  "I understand. May I have your permission then?"

Penelope looked up to the man confused as to what permission he was trying to ask from her. They had already agreed to have the last dance of the night and there was nothing else he could try to ask for at that time.

"Permission?" Miss Featherington asks.

"Yes, permission to come take you away whenever such situations take place." Thomas Debling looks at the red-haired girl and smiles. Penelope could feel his sincerity and the genuine words behind his eyes. She could feel herself drowning as she stares back at his light blue eyes.

Penelope could not fully understand how this man gives her his concern. They just met the first time today but she could feel that this particular lord cares for her. Should she be harboring such hopes that Debling might develop to be a suitor? Penelope blushes at the mere idea as it crosses her mind.

"I will be in gratitude if that ever occurs, Lord Debling."

The orchestra started to play a note and the music started to echo across the hall. It signals the start of the final dance for the night.

"Very well. I am joyed to have your blessing." A sound of relief came from Thomas Debling's voice. "May I now have this dance, my lady?" Lord Debling sweetly smiled at Penelope as he offers his hand to take them both away to the center of the ball room.

The youngest Featherington gladly accepted his hand and took everyone's attention as they glide the steps for the Waltz. Everyone could not help but adore and notice the duo as they immerse themselves at the count of the music. Portia Featherington watches her daughter teary-eyed, seeing how her wallflower of a child have started to blossom in front of everyone's eyes.

"Brother, if your stares could kill, I bet whoever is dancing would be dead by now." Colin's body froze as he heard a familiar voice taking notice on how he looks at the man who holds Penelope's hands at the dance floor.

"Anthony." Colin looked up to see the Viscount Bridgerton appearing beside him at the snacks table. Colin had removed himself away from his other siblings and his mother to avoid getting the reprimand he had been constantly getting since his return in London.

"So, who is the lucky one who deserved that deadly stare of yours, brother?" Colin did not directly answer his brother's query, but rather averted his concern on the identity of their subject is.

"Do you know that man, the one dancing with Pen?"

Anthony Bridgerton then looked at the center of the dancing couples and saw their friend Miss Featherington enjoying the Waltz with the most eligible bachelor of the season.

"Ah. That should be Lord Debling."

"Lord Debling, you say?"

"Yes. The Earl of Beverley. It was said he re-entered society to look for a wife."

"Is he a good man?" Colin felt a little bothered upon hearing that the man dancing with his good friend is actively looking for a prospect of a wife. He knew that this could be a good chance for Penelope to find a match but somehow from reasons unknown to him, he felt restless.

"I barely know the man, but Lady Danbury vouches for him. Saying that he is the most eligible bachelor at the ton. And knowing Lady Danbury, there would be no question about it."

"Is that so?" Colin can only continue to scan the man from afar.

"A titled Lord with good looks as he is, no wonder if all the ladies would be falling for him."

Colin takes another bite of sandwich as he continues to watch over the pair who have gained a lot of spectators. He decided he would have to investigate this so-called Lord Debling, just to make sure that he is someone worthy of Penelope's Featherington attention. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.9K 977 12
Colin continues his tour with a trip to Italy. However, when his letters to his dear friend, Penelope, go unanswered, he returns home early to see he...
204K 6.8K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
119K 2.3K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...
75.1K 2.5K 45
After the unfortunate events at her mama's ball, Penelope had decided it was time for her to leave London. As she heard Colin uttered disparaging wor...